Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote wire or picket fence. Obviously reminding your neighbor a few times already doesn't do it. Regardless of if there may be dementia or comprehension issues.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how his lawn
View Quote

I try not to trespass on my neighbors property.......most people don't like that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Look up Adverse Possession laws for Missouri........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He doesn’t own it who cares. Free cutting, more time to spend on your life.

Look up Adverse Possession laws for Missouri........

While all states are different, generally mowing doesn’t allow adverse possession. He has to have complete control, excluding you. Generally.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What's that going to do? A big strip of dead grass from the roundup I sprayed didn't do anything. What would some flags do?
View Quote

You think he’s going to mow over flagging?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do that when I can, but I'm at work doing the day...and he's retired, so he will mow when I'm not home most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mow before he does

I do that when I can, but I'm at work doing the day...and he's retired, so he will mow when I'm not home most of the time.

What does it matter?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boulders
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That may be where he buried the elusive wife
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd ask him if he wants to mow whole thing and give him a nice bottle and enjoy it together.
Fuck it one less thing I'd have to do
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you worried that if he mows it he can later claim it?

Get it in writing that he agrees to stop! Then resort to obstacles including a fence.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Hedgerow or closely spaced Cyprus trees.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's that going to do? A big strip of dead grass from the roundup I sprayed didn't do anything. What would some flags do?

I guess I can find out. I have some of those little pink land scalping flags.....might put a couple up, just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang this is already at 6 pages
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That may be where he buried the elusive wife
View Quote

Honestly....who in the hell knows. I find it odd that I've never seen his wife in the 10+ years I've lived there.  

But...he didn't start mowing my property until just a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I’m that neighbor.
I mow the section between my neighbor’s driveway and mine.
I’m even nice enough not to run over her Hostas.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd ask him if he wants to mow whole thing and give him a nice bottle and enjoy it together.
Fuck it one less thing I'd have to do
View Quote

Now that's just weird.......
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess I can find out. I have some of those little pink land scalping flags.....might put a couple up, just to see what happens.
View Quote

It’s worth a shot. If he does mow over them, then it might be time to escalate. I’d be pissed AF at that point.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, I’m that neighbor.
I mow the section between my neighbor’s driveway and mine.
I’m even nice enough not to run over her Hostas.
View Quote

But......if your neighbor asked you to stop....multiple times, would you keep doing it?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a telephone pole on that part that he is mowing, so tells me that is an easement, so you or your neighbor can fight all you want. Absurd to think he is mowing the easement to try to evoke some kind of imminent domain.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a telephone pole on that part that he is mowing, so tells me that is an easement, so you or your neighbor can fight all you want. Absurd to think he is mowing the easement to try to evoke some kind of imminent domain.

View Quote

That might very well be true.  Still trying to figure out why after 8 years....he decided to start mowing the "easement" on my lot, and then not stopping after me asking him nicely to do so multiple times....and him agreeing to stop.

Is it acceptable now to mow your neighbors "easements"?    

And actually it's a pole for the power lines that go to my house......

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#21]
He’s just taking care of his wife’s grave.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He’s just taking care of his wife’s grave.
View Quote

Guess he should have buried her on his own property
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Is he basically using your property for the equivalent of turn rows in crop fields, then coming back and squaring it up to make it look nice?

How big of mower is he using?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Man, I wish these were the extent of my worries.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is he basically using your property for the equivalent of turn rows in crop fields, then coming back and squaring it up to make it look nice?

How big of mower is he using?
View Quote

A zero turn. He doesn't need to come 30ft onto my property to square things up.  

And if that was in fact the case, he probably should have told me...and not said "oh, I was just trying to be nice...I won't do it any more".

If he said "my mower needs more room to turn around"....or something to that affect, I would have been totally cool with it.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Dump gravel there so neither of you have to mow it again.  

Till it up and plant sunflowers or some other wildflowers and make sure that he knows you are growing them.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dump gravel there so neither of you have to mow it again.  

Till it up and plant sunflowers or some other wildflowers and make sure that he knows you are growing them.

View Quote

Good idea. I think I will just tell my wife to put a flower garden there.....and if he mows over the flowers, he can deal with her
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Certified mail him a check for a couple $, payment for services rendered.
Include a list of critiques, a few things he could do a little better from now on.
Bonus points if you also include a gift certificate for a small McFlurry.

Either he accepts that you hired him for cheap, or he denies it and stops.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless he scalps it, who gives a fuck?  I'd thank him and make a journal entry of each time I've spoken to him about mowing it with dates and approximate times henceforth for establishing I maintained my possession, maybe even record w/ your phone (audio would be fine if a one party recording state).
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Establish dominance, pee on his mower.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Unless he scalps it, who gives a fuck?  I'd thank him and make a journal entry of each time I've spoken to him about mowing it with dates and approximate times henceforth for establishing I maintained my possession, maybe even record w/ your phone (audio would be fine if a one party recording state).
View Quote

So who gives a fuck....but make sure you document it all so what when it comes time....you can give a fuck?

How about he stops mowing my lawn like he said he would? Or is that too much to ask?

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#33]
OP never stated why this bothers him?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pink?    I use blue.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Perhaps you should plant some corn on your side.
View Quote
what kind of deranged maniac would do something like this?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And if that was in fact the case, he probably should have told me...and not said "oh, I was just trying to be nice...I won't do it any more".

If he said "my mower needs more room to turn around"....or something to that affect, I would have been totally cool with it.  
View Quote

If I needed "turning room," I would make it by making a suitable number of passes parallel to the property line on my side first.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP never stated why this bothers him?
View Quote

Because if someone is going to mow a 950sq/ft chunk of my yard....I want it to be me.  

Honestly, the only part that bothers me is that I've told him to stop three different times....he agrees to....and then he keeps doing it.  

It's like some crazy passive aggressive thing or something.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I needed "turning room," I would make it by making a suitable number of passes parallel to the property line on my side first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

It's a 50" zero turn....he's coming 30ft onto my property. That's 7 extra passes on my side to "square things up and turn around". BS
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because if someone is going to mow a 950sq/ft chunk of my yard....I want it to be me.  

Honestly, the only part that bothers me is that I've told him to stop three different times....he agrees to....and then he keeps doing it.  

It's like some crazy passive aggressive thing or something.

View Quote
If he pulls his pockets inside out and tells you to hold them and follow....do not do that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Buy him a beer and say 'thanks man, I appreciate it.'
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#41]
My only fix, when I get time, is putting an in ground sprinkler system in my yard with the heads on the property line.
The guy on the other side did exactly that and even then it took a while to sink in.

Some people are just F'ing stupid and my neighbor is one of them, even after pointing out the property line multiple times, with a stake in the back and drilled pin hole on the curb.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My neighbor mows two widths of his push mower onto my side of the fence line in the front yard. It's weird, I try not to let it bother me but I mow at a tall setting and he almost scalps his yard.
View Quote

Now that would  be a legitimate reason to ask him to stop.

I really don't see how adverse possession is a plausible case here unless you are neglecting your own yard (which it does not sound like). If you mow and do basic lawn duty as you say it shows you are maintaining and not neglecting your own property.

Now, if this just bothers you for the sake of it bothering you, put up a fence. You have asked him a number of times to stop and he has kept doing it, certified letter or not he will continue to do it. Especially if he isn't right in the head.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Buy him a beer and say 'thanks man, I appreciate it.'
View Quote

Yeah.....no. after three times of him telling me "sorry about that, I won't do it anymore".....and he still does it's, I'm not thanking him for squat.  

When did it become ok to trespass onto your neighbors property..... especially after them repeatedly telling you "please stop" multiple times?

I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out why I'm in the wrong here.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Adverse possession.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Old non-running cars and cinderblocks has been the traditional method for this sort of area denial for decades.

Personally, I’d plant the area with brambles or English roses.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Plot twist: he mows it because it’s actually his property.  

Have you recently paid for an actual survey?  In my area, most of the time, these utility poles like in the picture get placed squarely on the property line.  

My brother just went through a property dispute where his deed said his property included 3 feet of the neighboring property. The neighbors deed said nothing about this. Neighbor sued my brother and lost, costing my brother 12k in legal expenses
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Plot twist: he mows it because it’s actually his property.  

Have you recently paid for an actual survey?  In my area, most of the time, these utility poles like in the picture get placed squarely on the property line.  

My brother just went through a property dispute where his deed said his property included 3 feet of the neighboring property. The neighbors deed said nothing about this. Neighbor sued my brother and lost, costing my brother 12k in legal expenses
View Quote

Yep...had it surveyed when I bought it. I even asked the guy the first time I talked to him about mowing my lawn "you know that's part of my yard right?". Yep...he knew.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As long as your deed shows the property lines, I'd say let him mow. One less crap for you to mow around.
And time is so precious
View Quote
Yeah I don't really get the issue here, if your neighbor wants to mow that little piece of land and your deed shows it's yours... who cares
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top