Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2001 10:29:57 AM EDT
I'm getting ready for my annual trek from Louisiana to Oregon. I don't need to ask the firearm laws from California on north but do need to review the Southern states. Louisiana is a God given right to carry ia firearm anywhere in vehicle and Texas and Arizona used to allow carry as long as the firearm was in full view.

Is it still OK to carry in vehicle in Texas and Arizona?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
AZ - you can tie balloons to them and strap em to your hood. this is a free friggin state!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Open carry in AZ. Just for shits a giggles I did it while gasing up outside of Tucson. Got a few strange looks from patrons but the attendant didn't seem phased at all when I walked in. I seem to recall the it is not open carry w/i Phoenix city limits though. There is a peaceable travel law(I guess its more of a defense than law) in NM and TX. In a nutshell you can carry if traveling inter counties from point a to point b. Must be kept within the car which is considered personal property. There is a website that gives a brief synopsis of different state gunlaws, but I have the link at home. I will post it when I get home.

If you have a CCW in LA, I believe, I could be wrong, TX has reciprocation agreement with that state. And so does AZ. 90% sure on this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I follow your meaning when you say "enroute", from one place to another. Does the firearm have to be in full view in Texas?

One never knows when he could be attacked by a steer or a queer traveling through the great state of Texas so I must be ready!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I seem to recall the it is not open carry w/i Phoenix city limits though.
View Quote

that is wrong, Lordy. Phoenix city limits is big.  Open carry is O.K.

I think maybe downtown Tempe by the college might have some restrictions though.  But thats why we have CCP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, for what its worth. you can have any legal weapon concealed anywhere in your vehicle if it is in a case or holster (AZ)

Long gun or pistol...  in plain sight does not apply if your weapons are in a holster.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I follow your meaning when you say "enroute", from one place to another. Does the firearm have to be in full view in Texas?
View Quote

According to what I've read, no. I can be concealed. Again I got this from the website I had gotten from one of the members here. Have you contacted the AG's office in TX and AZ

OK just found the site [url]http://www.packing.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the skinny on the peaceable travel in TX. NM mirrors this.

________Peaceable journey law summary:  
This section last updated Aug 21, 2000

There is a "traveling" exemption in the law for non-CHL holders -- it is no longer a "defense to prosecution", but instead renders the prohibition "not applicable" (see PC 46.15 of the Penal Code) However, "traveling" is still defined by case law, and varies between jurisdictions. The alleged rule about "crossing two county lines" is case law, and not binding. I wouldn't advise anyone to depend on it.

Summary:

Basically, you have to be directly enroute between two distant points. It also must be a "non-routine" trip -- commuting to work doesn't count. Someone from out of state would almost certainly be traveling, but only while actually in transit. Once you get to your destination in Texas, you can't carry it around in your car and claim to be traveling -- at least not until you embark on your return trip home.

Also, this prohibition only applies to handguns. Long guns are not prohibited by this law, although there are some municipalities that have enacted local regulations (which are in violation of state law, but that's another matter).

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top