[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As real as a UAV "pilot"
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry SC cannot afford beef…Texas bbq rules!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
damned Nessie keeps hassliing me for about $3.50
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Would make more sense for it to be in the ocean, not some lake.

If it were real, wouldn't the Scottish have eaten the damn thing during one of the famines? Or atleast over fished the loch to the point the thing would of starved?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
South Park- Loch Ness Monster
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
gonna need lots of legit proof.  gonna need a vague report from a funding hungry govt authority, blurry video, sensationalized click bait media coverage, and a eyewitness pilot event before i start to believe he's real
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Excuse me Sir, I see you are not from North Carolina.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only bigger false belief in your poll is option #3.

Excuse me Sir, I see you are not from North Carolina.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We have bonafide squatch hunters here.

@fistpeso I believe.

Anybody hunt Nessie?
View Quote

In 1976 a crew from national geographic took a submersible platform and grid photographed the bottom

they found nothing unexpected

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Is Sam Squanch flipping us the bird?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
In a lake that cold? Seems doubtful.

Something would have been definitively spotted by now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've watched the shows about "Nessie" since I was a kid.  Heard the tales, seen the sonar imagery. . .

I've listened to scientists tell us that the food source for such a large animal couldn't be maintained.  The pics and imagery were hoaxes.

But in the end, I had to bite back into my pulled pork sammich with Eastern NC sauce and cast vote for the legendary number of Dale Earnhardt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well he ain't calling you for dinner
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a photo of one.  Kind of shocking, really.  I wasn't expecting it in the least, and was caught kind of slack jawed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As real as a UAV "pilot"
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With all the global warming and climate change, creatures never seen before will come out in search of food.

One creature in particular, the Loch Ness Monster, will be out looking for about $3.50.
View Quote

He just tried to sell me some damn girl scout cookies. I said dammit monsta, get off of my lawn! I ain't giving you no damn tree fitty!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I think so.

There is one lake in my area that had huge fish in it. There were bones of a huge fish.

Also native stories of it eating a girl and the dad killing it.

Lake illiamna also has a lake monster.
A park service person actually saw it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just as real as Bigfoot.
View Quote

I don’t know about that.  Bigfoot does exist, but I don’t know about this entity.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Champ would kick its ass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Santa Claus told me it was.  So, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Came here to post that.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don’t know about that.  Bigfoot does exist, but I don’t know about this entity.
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
It's as real as ETs visiting earth.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My grandfather was of Scots-Irish stock. He found that sightings of "boogers, haints and hoodoos" served to keep prying eyes away  from his still locations.

The inverse can also attract interest in dead lakes in remote places in desperate need for tourist money.  

Repeat these words in your best Scottish accent:

"Never let the truth interrupt a good story."
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
No.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]
No, but wouldn't mind trying that pulled pork.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just like Bigfoot
View Quote

On the scale of plausibility, Bigfoot is lightyears more plausible than Nessie.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I say no.
But still, we should roll a few dozen depth charges in, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#30]

guy that took this picture, which arguably started the whole thing, admitted on his death bed that it was a dinosaur head he put on his son's toy submarine.  Mystery over.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#31]
The real mystery is why people get off creating hoaxes like this...
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The real mystery is why people get off creating hoaxes like this...
View Quote

Nessie has created hundreds of millions in tourism revenue over the last 100 years. That’s why.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Three sea lions or otters swimming in a line they happened to roll at once. The head is obviously a mammal with whiskers and ears.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Willy Ley was a science writer and proponent of cryptozoology. In the 1960s he reluctantly decided the LNM did not exist because there could only be two explanations:
1.  It is one immortal monster.  This defies everything we know about biology and entropy.
2.  There is a breeding population there. If that was the case, there is no way we would not have recovered the body of one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Three sea lions or otters swimming in a line they happened to roll at once. The head is obviously a mammal with whiskers and ears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Whale dick.

Wrong mammal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Came here to post that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Came here to post that.  

Great minds sir.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]

That's a long ass otter!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Did anyone else see anything about the Mothman sightings at O'hare Airport???
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I want to believe
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Obviously not.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I notice there haven’t been any recent sightings of Nessie.

But I love the thought of a Paleozoic sea monster lurking in the depths of a Scottish highlands lake, having been trapped by receding waters from an ice age.
View Quote

The recent sightings dropped to zero as soon as everybody got a phone in their pocket.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#43]
No and easily proven. Watched one of those Jeremy Wade - River Monster episodes. He went there and did a sonar and netting survey.  He wasn't trying to find Nessie  instead, he surveyed the  types and volume of fish in the lake. What they determined is there is nowhere near the amount of fish necessary to support a breading population of such a large creature.  In fact, the lake has a surprisingly small number of fish in it.

End of story.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Sure it's real but it's not a dinosaur. It's a giant eel. And there are underwater tunnels leading to the ocean, so it's not always there.

Steve Alten wrote a documentary book on the matter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's a long ass otter!!
View Quote

it is three otters, swimming and rolling in a line.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
With all the global warming and climate change, creatures never seen before will come out in search of food.

One creature in particular, the Loch Ness Monster, will be out looking for about $3.50.
View Quote

Any day now it the Loch is gonna be dry  because of the climate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#47]
About as real as the aliens in Area 51.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Well we are well into page 2 so time for the correct answer:  TLDR=It was a circus elephant swimming in the lake, picture taken and the circus owner of the elephant put up a huge reward (Which he could not afford but knew he would never have to pay) if anyone found the "Monster" they saw in the picture.  People are making a great living off it ever since so no reason to let the truth get in the way.  

Scientist suggests Nessie really a circus elephant
Wed., March 8, 2006

Mary Jordan
Washington Post

This is a 1934 photo of a shadow somebody said was the monster of Loch Ness, Scotland. A new theory suggests the sightings in the 1930s may have been of an elephant from a traveling circus.
(File Associated Press / The Spokesman-Review)

Attachment Attached File

This is a 1934 photo of a shadow somebody said was the monster of Loch Ness, Scotland. A new theory suggests the sightings in the 1930s may have been of an elephant from a traveling circus. (File Associated Press / The Spokesman-Review)

LONDON – So maybe the Loch Ness monster was actually a circus elephant.

Neil Clark, curator of paleontology at the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow, sees striking similarities between descriptions of Nessie and what an Indian elephant looks like while swimming. And perhaps not coincidentally a traveling circus featuring elephants passed by the misty lake in the 1930s at the height of the monster sightings.

“It is quite possible that people not used to seeing a swimming elephant – the vast bulk of the animal is submerged, with only a thick trunk and a couple of humps visible,” thought they saw a monster, Clark said in an interview Tuesday.

By publishing his theory in the current issue of a British scientific journal, Clark has reignited passionate discussion here about the great Scottish mystery.

Clark noted that in 1933, circus impresario Bertram Mills promised anyone who could capture the monster for his circus a 20,000 pound reward, which Clark reckoned would be equivalent to nearly $1.8 million today. Perhaps Mills dared offer such a huge sum because he knew it would never be claimed, Clark speculated.

As early as the sixth century, a “monster” was reported in Loch Ness in northern Scotland; Saint Columba is said to have saved a man who had been attacked by a monster in 565. Since then, and as recently as last year, there have been hundreds of reported sightings.

Clark acknowledged that those before and after the 1930s cannot be explained by the elephant theory. But he said the vast majority of sightings occurred not long after 1933, the first year of the A82, a road that runs alongside the lake. Around that time, Mills’ traveling circus was visiting nearby Inverness and “would have stopped on the banks of Loch Ness to allow their animals to rest.”

At Loch Ness, where scientists have used everything from submarines to sonar to try to explain the mysterious sightings, news that the monster might be a circus owner’s marketing ploy didn’t go down well. Nessie is, after all, at the core of the lake’s lucrative tourist industry.

“Ah! Bloody dismissive, that’s what people are,” said George Edwards, skipper of the Nessie Hunter, a tour boat on Loch Ness.

Reached by phone, Edwards said he didn’t think much of the pachyderm hypothesis. For one thing, he said, “How does it account for more recent sightings?

“Yes, it’s possible – you can never say never, but I think it’s very, very unlikely,” the skipper said.

On Tuesday, many people across Britain found themselves confronted by television and newspaper photos and artist renderings of Nessie and a swimming elephant, and many agreed there were similarities.

“Elephants do swim and they love it,” said Olivia Walter, program coordinator for the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums, which has found itself fielding lots of questions about the water habits of elephants.

They do indeed submerge their bodies, leaving their trunks above water. Whether they would find Loch Ness refreshing en route to a performance, she said, “is another question.”
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I flew the entire length of the lake at 300 knots at 300 feet looking but didnt see her.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#50]
How many depth charges did you drop & did you finish with a B-69 NDB just to be sure?

Bigger_Hammer
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top