Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Unsecured cargo in a bed, goes out driving when he probably didn't have to, I guess he was going to fast because his truck is on its side and didn't just slide off the road.  
Is it too much of a stretch to say that this individual isn't very good at making sensible decisions?  
This is the correct answer

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Still can't figure out why he didn't just open the damned door, and climb out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Still can't figure out why he didn't just open the damned door, and climb out.

Might have been afraid it would roll over while climbing out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

“I’ve got my 4x4, I’ve got my AT tires, I can go anywhere I want! Freedom of movement!”
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“I’ve got my 4x4, I’ve got my AT tires, I can go anywhere I want! Freedom of movement!”

I mean you can’t open the door to get out? Surely they didn’t crawl through that hole
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The highway going out to work is clear and dry. Txdot has been plowing and sanding the shit out of it. My neighborhood however sucks ass. Nothing has melted away but now the ice is as smooth as glass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NE Collin county, here.

My Mustang is wearing Pilot Sports. There is no fucking way I'm driving on this shit. I seriously doubt it even has the traction to leave the neighborhood.

I couldn't even go on a walk. The sidewalks are pure ice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NW Collin County here, far North DFW.  The ice this morning is exponentially worse than yesterday morning and what were sleet pellets hitting yesterday is now straight up rain drops, hitting and freezing at 25-26 degrees thus creating even more layers of ice.  I do a leisurely jog/walk of 2.3-3.0 miles 4-5 days a week if home, barring rain, 3 miles generally takes 30-35 mins in shorts/tshirt/running shoes.  I did the same walk yesterday morning(started out in snow boots, quickly retreated/regrouped into a pair of old Danner's) and it took 45 mins to do the 3 miles, today my pace was a slow crawl of the 2.3 and it was just shy of 1 hour due to black icing of EVERY flat surface.  Yesterday I drove after my walk 18 miles and back to check my elderly mother, AWD SUV had zero issues, today you could not pay me to drive on that ice.  I would fully expect that tomorrow morning will be even worse with what is forecasted to hit this afternoon.  In short, DFW is done for the week.

Be safe folks.

Hking
NE Collin county, here.

My Mustang is wearing Pilot Sports. There is no fucking way I'm driving on this shit. I seriously doubt it even has the traction to leave the neighborhood.

I doubt I could make it over a Railroad levee or down and then up out of our street. Heck with it. Another day of lounging around.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NE Collin county, here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NW Collin County here, far North DFW.  The ice this morning is exponentially worse than yesterday morning and what were sleet pellets hitting yesterday is now straight up rain drops, hitting and freezing at 25-26 degrees thus creating even more layers of ice.  I do a leisurely jog/walk of 2.3-3.0 miles 4-5 days a week if home, barring rain, 3 miles generally takes 30-35 mins in shorts/tshirt/running shoes.  I did the same walk yesterday morning(started out in snow boots, quickly retreated/regrouped into a pair of old Danner's) and it took 45 mins to do the 3 miles, today my pace was a slow crawl of the 2.3 and it was just shy of 1 hour due to black icing of EVERY flat surface.  Yesterday I drove after my walk 18 miles and back to check my elderly mother, AWD SUV had zero issues, today you could not pay me to drive on that ice.  I would fully expect that tomorrow morning will be even worse with what is forecasted to hit this afternoon.  In short, DFW is done for the week.

Be safe folks.

Hking
NE Collin county, here.

Yep, that ice is brutal out there.  The sidewalks/streets are treacherous, I walked in the crunchy grass when I could.  I only moved back to DFW in 2020, this was the worst ice I've seen over 3 winters now.

Best Regards,
Hking
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
These are worth their weight in gold when walking on ice.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I doubt I could make it over a Railroad levee or down and then up out of our street. Heck with it. Another day of lounging around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe folks.

Hking
NE Collin county, here.

I'm not sure if I could get my trucks back into the driveway if I moved em at the moment
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01BZHF97U
View Quote

guessing they aren't commonly owned in a place like Texas

I went walking in the dirt/grass nature trail thing across the street from me.  it was still pretty tricky with insulated hiking boots and a walking stick
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
This Ice Storm Is About To Get Much Worse...
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I went walking in the dirt/grass nature trail thing across the street from me.  it was still pretty tricky with insulated hiking boots and a walking stick
View Quote

Probably not, but they aren't common here either.

You can prepare for the next storm though
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Couple of oak trees down in my back yard
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Fucking hell, did BMW owners all go buy Jeeps. Jeep drivers seem to think it's best to drive close to anyone else on the road today.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]
ice storms

be safe
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell I'm trying to get a job in Utah so i might need em
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fucking hell, did BMW owners all go buy Jeeps. Jeep drivers seem to think it's best to drive close to anyone else on the road today.
View Quote

Yesterday was like a jeep meet
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#19]

ice is a little thin for that kinda fun
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Slow freezing rain at my house all day roads look clearer but I can't imagine they aren't terrible.  Trucks windshield was half clear a few hours ago and has a fresh layer of ice
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Changing from freezing rain to sleet and snow in West Ft Worth.

Radar shows another large storm coming.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]
This week has sucked, kids home from school and daycare, and my bank offices closed... No escape
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Not gonna push my luck and go out. The cars are still about 1/2" thick with ice. Wiff wanted to go out and get lottery. I said no way. She got dressed up, went outside and looked at her ride, came back inside. End of journey...
Prolly saved a $500 deductible and an enormous pain in the ass, drama filled, body shop vehicle repair.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in Plano it's not too bad.  Everyone going slow and keeping their distance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
The boy and I got dressed to check on the neighbors, found a couple of suitable walking sticks in the garage, poor kid slipped on the sidewalk and landed with his butt on the brick step.  He's on the couch w/ a couple of ibuprofen in him.  I walked around to the neighbors, everyone's ok.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
When there are absolutely NO cars (seriously) in line at the gas pumps at Costco, you know things are bad.  I could not possibly have gotten my car safely in or out of the garage this morning as my driveway has a slight incline.  I could have put on a pair of ice skates and gone ice skating on the streets in my subdivision this morning.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#27]
@TxLewis

Yup.  Coit/Legacy hasn't been too bad (yet).  Plus, I got to actually use the 4WD on my truck today.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Just put new BFG KO2’s on my Rubicon Friday. Was perfect timing. That plus 4WD makes driving in this shit a breeze.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01BZHF97U
View Quote

Northener here, and I've tried at least 8 brands of ice spikes/cleats. Those suck.

3 best options currently (have one of each on various pairs of shoes/boots used in the winter time)

- IceTrax V3 Tungsten Carbide
- Honeywell Servus SR101

- Kahtoola Microspikes (off-trail only).

The YakTrax type you listed, have 'beads' that can roll on hard sloping surfaces (whether that's concrete/asphalt, or solid ice).

The OG YakTrax with what look like coilsprings work on packed snow, but suck on solid ice or sloping concrete, AND the ends of the springs can and will catch on carpeting, tripping you up when you walk indoors to a carpeted area (ask me how I know ). Then the end that caught on the carpet gets pulled straight, and now sticks out, catching everything

The top 2 I listed, work well on bare concrete, packed snow, AND especially sheet ice. Some of the more aggressive designs have poor traction on bare concrete (be aware that the Tungsten Carbide studs are MUCH more wear resistant than carbon steel spikes, but WILL mar/scratch marble/granite/hardwood floors).

I keep a pair of the Servus folded up in the thick ziploc baggy they came in, in my Arc'teryx coat pocket, so I always have them with me in the Winter, and can slip them on whatever footwear I'm wearing, if it's icy.

Kahtoola Microspikes are too aggressive for urban/around town use. On bare concrete, it feels like walking on a bunch of screws and nuts someone dropped in the floor. Kind of unstable. For Winter trail running, they're great.

The Servus used to be made by a small company, and used to be THE Runner's option for Winter (where you might be running mostly on bare concrete/asphalt, but might encounter the occasional patch of ice in shaded areas), because the Tungsten Carbide spikes were very wear resistant, but not obtrusive enough to feel like you were running on a bunch of screws and bolts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not gonna push my luck and go out. The cars are still about 1/2" thick with ice. Wiff wanted to go out and get lottery. I said no way. She got dressed up, went outside and looked at her ride, came back inside. End of journey...
Prolly saved a $500 deductible and an enormous pain in the ass, drama filled, body shop vehicle repair.
View Quote

LoL.....

Damn you lucky SOB.   Mine would have wrecked my shit and parked it and told me the next day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@TxLewis

Yup.  Coit/Legacy hasn't been too bad (yet).  Plus, I got to actually use the 4WD on my truck today.
View Quote

Me too. 4wd, nice to have 2 or 3 times a year.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm south of Dallas.  Just let the dogs out in the yard with a bit of a slope.  They were both sliding and falling on their asses in the frozen grass.  Young Shepherd dog and old Golden.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I am seeing videos of cars and 18 wheelers on a frozen/icy I-20.  What stupidity has people driving in those conditions?

Stay home or at a rest stop or hotel and wait for the roads to become safe to drive on.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  I am seeing videos of cars and 18 wheelers on a frozen/icy I-20.  What stupidity has people driving in those conditions?

Stay home or at a rest stop or hotel and wait for the roads to become safe to drive on.
View Quote

We have one car back from the body shop, waiting for the paint booth, middle kid drove over from her boyfriend's yesterday, must've driven a lot slower than usual.  She drove back last night, hasn't appeared today.  Streets are somewhat clear but patches of ice in between the slush, now refreezing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am seeing videos of cars and 18 wheelers on a frozen/icy I-20.  What stupidity has people driving in those conditions?

View Quote

LOL - sometimes, people have the kind of jobs that means they have to make shit happen, or at least give it their best shot. Everybody don't have the luxury of sitting stuff out because of the weather.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad I'm retired now. Verizon would have had us out in this crap in 3/4 vans with street tires and put us on a lifetime 3rd step if we crashed.

We are in a hilly little subdivision a few miles out of town. I have seen two vehicles on the street since Monday evening. even the Jeepsters and SxS guys have stayed home.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Northener here, and I've tried at least 8 brands of ice spikes/cleats. Those suck.

3 best options currently (have one of each on various pairs of shoes/boots used in the winter time)

- IceTrax V3 Tungsten Carbide
- Honeywell Servus SR101

- Kahtoola Microspikes (off-trail only).

The YakTrax type you listed, have 'beads' that can roll on hard sloping surfaces (whether that's concrete/asphalt, or solid ice).

The OG YakTrax with what look like coilsprings work on packed snow, but suck on solid ice or sloping concrete, AND the ends of the springs can and will catch on carpeting, tripping you up when you walk indoors to a carpeted area (ask me how I know ). Then the end that caught on the carpet gets pulled straight, and now sticks out, catching everything

The top 2 I listed, work well on bare concrete, packed snow, AND especially sheet ice. Some of the more aggressive designs have poor traction on bare concrete (be aware that the Tungsten Carbide studs are MUCH more wear resistant than carbon steel spikes, but WILL mar/scratch marble/granite/hardwood floors).

I keep a pair of the Servus folded up in the thick ziploc baggy they came in, in my Arc'teryx coat pocket, so I always have them with me in the Winter, and can slip them on whatever footwear I'm wearing, if it's icy.

Kahtoola Microspikes are too aggressive for urban/around town use. On bare concrete, it feels like walking on a bunch of screws and nuts someone dropped in the floor. Kind of unstable. For Winter trail running, they're great.

The Servus used to be made by a small company, and used to be THE Runner's option for Winter (where you might be running mostly on bare concrete/asphalt, but might encounter the occasional patch of ice in shaded areas), because the Tungsten Carbide spikes were very wear resistant, but not obtrusive enough to feel like you were running on a bunch of screws and bolts.
View Quote

Interesting, been wearing the YakTrax for several years and never had any roll on them, but I also wear some aggressive soled boots, so they may be more embedded than normal and won't roll because of that.

This is in ice conditions walking up and down a 30 degree grade hill.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd like to see you Yankees drive down here on a half inch of ice, on unsalted roads w/ no plows.
View Quote

I was just down there, can confirm the roads were bad. Didn’t have a problem driving around though because I drive slow when there’s potential ice. A majority of drivers I saw were going way too fast, oblivious to the danger. 4WD doesn’t add friction to your tires, slow down people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just put new BFG KO2’s on my Rubicon Friday. Was perfect timing. That plus 4WD makes driving in this shit a breeze.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LoL.....

Damn you lucky SOB.   Mine would have wrecked my shit and parked it and told me the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL.....

We did that decades ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
NE Collin county, here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe folks.

Hking
NE Collin county, here.

I was out on Exchange, McDermott, and Greenville doing about 60-mph.  Had to slow to a crawl to take any sort of turn though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#42]
It seems most of the bad weather went south. Up here on the Red River we haven’t had shit since the sleet on Monday. Since then the temp stayed at 25 until this afternoon when it bumped up to 34 for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL - sometimes, people have the kind of jobs that means they have to make shit happen, or at least give it their best shot. Everybody don't have the luxury of sitting stuff out because of the weather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a doctor, nurse, ems, fireman, cop, or first responder of any kind.
The world can survive without me a few. few days.
Fucking deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
2-1-2023 Cleburne, TX Ice Storm - Cars sliding off road - Everything iced over
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Glad I'm retired now. Verizon would have had us out in this crap in 3/4 vans with street tires and put us on a lifetime 3rd step if we crashed.

We are in a hilly little subdivision a few miles out of town. I have seen two vehicles on the street since Monday evening. even the Jeepsters and SxS guys have stayed home.
View Quote

Strange.
My employers that had me out and about knew better than to have us out in company vans on ice. We did not want to drive to work in bad weather. If they insisted we come in... Bad things happened. Every "head man in charge" learnt this the hard way. Moe rons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Over where I am at in East Texas it has been not too bad. My kids schools were closed due to the icy roads, so they stayed home today. My neighbors tree unfortunately fell on the fence that separates their front yard and my garage. So I will be helping him get it chopped up and moved in the next few days.

Kind of crazy seeing the trees frozen but no actual snow. Just rain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/high5_JPG-2691184.JPG

For everyone shit-talking Texas, imagine one of these every 2-5 miles with basically zero ice-melt/salt, maybe a thin layer of shitty play sand.  I was personally stuck here for about an hour and half around 16 years ago with the empty light on.  

ETA I did finally make it to a gas station without running out.  
View Quote
^ This

I'm from Texas and have primarily lived in the DFW area most of my life. I'd rather drive in Idaho any day. It was a mere -22 Monday morning when I went to volunteer for the Idaho Dog Sled Challenge here and in Idaho. It's an entirely different kind of cold.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I think I screwed up coming in to work today. The highway is 100% clear but the street coming into the airport is the worst it's been all week. Despite only driving 5 mph I did a 360 at the first turn and just missed the ditch. Then I was stuck at the gate for about 10 minutes. Driving on the airport was also very sporty. Good thing I didn't hit a building or something. It supposed to get above freezing this afternoon so it might be better going home.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think I screwed up coming in to work today. The highway is 100% clear but the street coming into the airport is the worst it's been all week. Despite only driving 5 mph I did a 360 at the first turn and just missed the ditch. Then I was stuck at the gate for about 10 minutes. Driving on the airport was also very sporty. Good thing I didn't hit a building or something. It supposed to get above freezing this afternoon so it might be better going home.
View Quote

Oof. Glad you're okay.

I need an Uber around 1030 or so. Hopefully it's melted a little by then, I'm changing to a cheaper hotel for one more night
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm going to try to go into work around noon but we still won't be able to do anything.

I have a lot of end of month paper work to get started on anyhow.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top