Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where does power originate from?
View Quote

https://www.kucb.org/regional/2021-10-26/power-restored-in-adak-after-a-nearly-weeklong-outage-closed-the-local-school-and-city-offices

The small community of roughly 100 people has a single diesel powerhouse. In the days when the Navy was operating on the western Aleutian Island, there were five power plants there, according to Lockett. But it's been more than two decades since the Pentagon shuttered the large naval air base that once housed 6,000 service members and their families.

"We do not have the demand to have multiple power plants," Lockett said. "Even the existing powerhouse was built for many megawatts of power generation. The power plant being used was the central 'hub,' if you will, and was built in the early days. In fact, it still has the old steam boilers that burned bunker oil, sectioned off of course due to asbestos concerns."

While long-term plans call for wind and hydro to be integrated into the city's grid, Lockett said it's critical to replace the current diesel system.

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics of bar!?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It seems my contractor has gone off the grid. If anyone has construction experience in this type of climate looking for a fun project, send me a PM
View Quote

I'm sorry for your troubles but also not terribly surprised. I don't know much about construction but I would bid on work out there unless it was "cost plus"...what a logistical nightmare.

And what, only 90-120 days per year of weather good enough to work in? Yikes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This is fascinating on several levels.

How many cows can the island support? How expensive must beef be, that it is economical to raise them there, and even herd them with a helicopter??

So many questions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In my April 1982 graduating Navy OCS class, most of the guys had to select among various ships for their first assignment.  The girls mostly had to select shore commands, in Bermuda, Washington DC, London, Italy, Subic Bay, Yokosuka etc.
A girl in my company actually selected Adak, and she was not at the bottom of the class, either..  
View Quote

You're going to be popular...
Popular (From "Wicked" Original Broadway Cast Recording/2003)

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is fascinating on several levels.

How many cows can the island support? How expensive must beef be, that it is economical to raise them there, and even herd them with a helicopter??

So many questions.
View Quote

There are no Cattle on the Island It is owned partly by a Native Corportation and The US dept of Interior managed by the Fish and wildlife service.

Food is flown or barged in.

The Aleution island with cattle is Umnak island. The cattle ranch was originally Fort Glenn army air base. It was surplused and eventually became a cattle ranch through numerous owners. The ranch does not encompass the entire island. The Town of Nikolski is also located there. Is just west of Dutch harbor/Unalaska.  Chirikof Island southwest of Kodiak also has a population of a couple thousand feral cattle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Coffee mugs.  You need coffee mugs.

Those would sell like crazy for the...THREE tourists you get per quarter.
View Quote

Adak gets a lot of visitors. Some spend 10s of thousands to go waterfowl hunting here. Very rare birds. Largest recorded caribou taken was 700lbs. That's a BIG bou.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm sorry for your troubles but also not terribly surprised. I don't know much about construction but I would bid on work out there unless it was "cost plus"...what a logistical nightmare.

And what, only 90-120 days per year of weather good enough to work in? Yikes.
View Quote

It was a contractor who did some work for Fish & Game on the island last year. When we first talked he was super excited about the project and we scheduled a time to connect and coodinate flights to get a bid and materials list.  I called on the scheduled date, no answer but he sent a text that said he was busy and would call me later. He didn't, so I tried calling him three days after that. Left message, no answer, no reply. I'm sure I can find someone else

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Coffee mugs.  You need coffee mugs.

Those would sell like crazy for the...THREE tourists you get per quarter.
View Quote

Haha, he has the liquor license, he needs not only coffee mugs, but insulated tumblers and growlers as well. Know you audience/customer base.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Shot glasses.  Sell shot glasses at the bar!
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shot glasses.  Sell shot glasses at the bar!
View Quote
Don't forget collectable spoons!
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The Zippos came in!

Attachment Attached File

Photo doesn't do them justice. They came out really nice and aren't grainy like the picture makes them seem
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Whats the bar Tshirts looking like?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Red one is certainly cool!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
How much is a beer?

Your pizza looks okay for the most remote bar on Earth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How much is a beer?

Your pizza looks okay for the most remote bar on Earth.
View Quote

It's the best pizza on the island

Beer is $11 for a coolers light, up to $15 for designer brands.   Utility costs (electric) are insane. $2.75 KWH
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Beer is $11 for a coolers light, up to $15 for designer brands.   Utility costs (electric) are insane. $2.75 KWH
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Small update:

New contractor in the works, demo supposed to start next month

Two 40' containers secured for staging

Custom cabinets with quartz countertops and vinyl plank flooring ordered
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw a show on metal detecting pirate treasure on Adak.

I could live their.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool thread, keep it up OP
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Got drunk in one of Aleutian Outfitters duplex’s summer 2021. Stayed in a two story with the glass back room for a month in 2009. Certainly an adventure. Shame the roof blew off of the old officers club, was the best food on the island

Grocery store was in the old gym then, and mcdonalds hadnt been stripped to be a processor then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]
This is cool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A micro co-generation setup would make a lot of sense there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A micro co-generation setup would make a lot of sense there.
View Quote

The city had gotten grants for a hydropower setup that would have made the cost of electric virtually nothing for residents.  The native corp refused to allow it on their lands.  Coincidently, the native corp also owns the power company
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Stationed 3 years on Adak 89-92 , lived up the hill in barracks bering 11,  good memories op, thanks for the posts,
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, a can or bottle of light beer is $11?

HOLY FUCK!

Let's work something out and reduce costs by increasing volume. There has to be an angle / opportunity in there somewhere! (unless the $11 IS the angle and your margin is 75%..)

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe too late but I'd just paint everything if this is a DIY project. Way easier, cheeper, and faster if the things work--and you'll be happier.  

Nothing worse than ripping out someone elses work and doing it over-big waste of time and money.  Maybe that's your thing but last time I did it I thought it was a huge time commitment when I would have rather been doing other shit.

Anyways, paint that shit and get new flooring and call it good.  They have cabinet paint, tile paint, magnetic paint, glow in the dark paint, paint for your tubs and toilet-shit, you could even epoxy your counter tops to look like granite.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

HOLY FUCK!

Let's work something out and reduce costs by increasing volume. There has to be an angle / opportunity in there somewhere! (unless the $11 IS the angle and your margin is 75%..)

View Quote

He mentioned once that it cost something like 20K to get a cargo container to the island from Anchorage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He mentioned once that it cost something like 20K to get a cargo container to the island from Anchorage.
View Quote
Maybe he should open a micro brewery.
"The western most micro brewery in the USA, also the northern most"
Adak Island Ale
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In Alaska its called a BANYA....every home should have one!
View Quote

It's a Banya if you're Russian
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Very interesting thread and I’m digging the back story from the OP and the pictures to illustrate the island and man made structures. No offense to the OP, but that place looks like a desolate shit hole. I could never imagine myself living there and certainly not retiring there. The natural beauty is undeniable though. Similar to how I feel about the desert. I’d visit and shoot a boo or some waterfowl. I wish you much luck in your endeavors OP. I hope you become king of the island!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
$1700 round trip for me.

and an 8 hour layover in SEA

we should get a bunch of arfcommers up there for an awkward gathering
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh.

Tickets are $400 round trip to Anchorage from me.

I'd love to visit but yikes that's expensive. I also have construction experience but not in that climate

What the hell do people do for a living there?
$1700 round trip for me.

and an 8 hour layover in SEA

we should get a bunch of arfcommers up there for an awkward gathering

Expedia says I can fly round trip out of RDU to Oahu for $700 and to Costa Rica for $650. There aren’t any listed flights for this Adak place, but I’m quite sure it would be considerably more. I’d need a real compelling reason to visit. Like someone paying me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

HOLY FUCK!

View Quote

It costs around $1.50/lb to air cargo beer out there
My electric bill is greater than $3500 a month just to run our walk in
Our generator fuel bill is $1500 a month
Our furnance fuel bill is another $1500 a month
+ water/sewer/insurance/employees/maintenance/internet etc etc

Still want to bitch about that $11.00 coolers?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]
With such high winds is there no way to plant some trees or do some landscaping that would protect the house a little from the prevailing wind direction?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The city had gotten grants for a hydropower setup that would have made the cost of electric virtually nothing for residents.  The native corp refused to allow it on their lands.  Coincidently, the native corp also owns the power company
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Do any of the fishing boats stop at the island?   Crab boats , halibut, cod...    For any reason , ever.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I was thinking more along the line of a SeaCan full of beer on a barge to lower costs and sell a ton more at $6.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#44]
The last time I was on Adak I got 2nd degree burns on my chest and upper arms. It sucked.
I was showering in the BOQ and someone forgot to yell before they flushed the toilet.

Not my best memory from the early 90's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it's so windy why not use a wind generator rated for wind?  Not the windmill type.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RQ5Q17?tag=arfcom00-20

Rated for 55 m/s which is 123 mph.  If you are over 123 mph, you have bigger problems.

I would think that plus batteries would defray your monthly bill at that rate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Zippos came in!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/282730/zippo2_jpg-2676229.JPG

Photo doesn't do them justice. They came out really nice and aren't grainy like the picture makes them seem
View Quote

Will the red zippo match my red stapler?

It's for a . . .

Office morale project.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not there right now but I go back on the 28th. Safes are all over the island. Dozens and dozens. This is my next project....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/282730/safe_jpg-2650357.JPG
View Quote

OP, what if all that pirate gold that's allegedly hidden all over Adak is secretly stashed inside some of those safes and you find it. Those goofballs on that Netflix show gon be pissed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do any of the fishing boats stop at the island?   Crab boats , halibut, cod...    For any reason , ever.
View Quote

Yes they do. Used to have a huge processing plant on island.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, I was thinking more along the line of a SeaCan full of beer on a barge to lower costs and sell a ton more at $6.

View Quote

Lets just do some quick math on your thought process.

40' high cube conex + area to stage it and load onto a chassis... this season is $9600.  
$3500 to truck it to port
$20,000 to barge it

Total $33,100, not including any saleable product at all.

40,000 lbs (full conex) divided by 24lbs per case of 12 pack coolers = 1,666 cases of coolers light.

Wholesale price on a 12 pack of coolers is $16.16.  Multiple that by 1,666 cases = $27,000

Total investment for a conex of beer: $58,000

19,992 cans of beer, net cost landed ~$3.00 per beer.   My $58,000 is tied up for months or a year+ because its a small bar and 20k cans of beer is a LOT of beer.

Even at this point, if I sold them for $6.00 ea, say we sold 300 cans a month (open 4 days a week), the profit would only be $900, and would not even begin to cover the utility costs, let alone everything else.  At 300 cans a month it would take 66 months to go through them, at that point they would be long expired.

I just signed a contract to purchase the liquor store last week. Once that license has been transferred I will hold the only two liquor licenses available by state law for the island.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lets just do some quick math on your thought process.

40' high cube conex + area to stage it and load onto a chassis... this season is $9600.  
$3500 to truck it to port
$20,000 to barge it

Total $33,100, not including any saleable product at all.

40,000 lbs (full conex) divided by 24lbs per case of 12 pack coolers = 1,666 cases of coolers light.

Wholesale price on a 12 pack of coolers is $16.16.  Multiple that by 1,666 cases = $27,000

Total investment for a conex of beer: $58,000

19,992 cans of beer, net cost landed ~$3.00 per beer.   My $58,000 is tied up for months or a year+ because its a small bar and 20k cans of beer is a LOT of beer.

Even at this point, if I sold them for $6.00 ea, say we sold 300 cans a month (open 4 days a week), the profit would only be $900, and would not even begin to cover the utility costs, let alone everything else.  At 300 cans a month it would take 66 months to go through them, at that point they would be long expired.

I just signed a contract to purchase the liquor store last week. Once that license has been transferred I will hold the only two liquor licenses available by state law for the island.

View Quote

Easy tiger, I had no intention to ruffle your fur, nor piss in your very cool, IMHO, thread.

Clearly you do the due diligence and know your costs, margins, and ROI timelines.

I hope that license pays off big time, as I am sure it will. I just know I can't spend $11 for each beer when that adds up quickly..

Thanks for the thread.

Please keep us all updated on the endeavor.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top