User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All this....I am 55 now and would ignore all of it if not for the wife..

I live and grew up in S fla luckily so....but I went to college in Boone,NC and I left after the first winter..got too depressed with 50 degree overcast misty weather everyday
View Quote

I am near there....and its still the same in Boone.

ETA..we share same first name and same seplling....
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Going on DST would push the sun higher in the sky when most get off work.  So working "predawn to twilight" would become "night to afternoon sun".  I'd take that tradeoff any day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standard time
Absolutely sucks
Duh

On eastern edge of CST in KY it was dark before 4:30 in December and that sucks.

Moved to FL and now despite sucky standard time it doesn't get dark till at least 5:15 - EST.

S.A.D. reduction by relocation.

DST indefinitely would lower S.A.D. too.

How would DST help that?  You still get a very short day, and it just fucks the morning people even more.
Going on DST would push the sun higher in the sky when most get off work.  So working "predawn to twilight" would become "night to afternoon sun".  I'd take that tradeoff any day.

So you get to drive home in the afternoon sun and then watch it go down when you get there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Bigly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So you get to drive home in the afternoon sun and then watch it go down when you get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standard time
Absolutely sucks
Duh

On eastern edge of CST in KY it was dark before 4:30 in December and that sucks.

Moved to FL and now despite sucky standard time it doesn't get dark till at least 5:15 - EST.

S.A.D. reduction by relocation.

DST indefinitely would lower S.A.D. too.

How would DST help that?  You still get a very short day, and it just fucks the morning people even more.

I guess it depends on differing factors for all.  It takes me a half hour to get home.  1 - 0.5 = 0.5

But a little extra sun when I'm out and about is preferable to none.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Use it as early in the morning as possible, not in the late afternoon or evening.  I get the above comment about leaving it on until 9PM, but for most people lots of blue light at night is going to make things worse, not better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Verilux is the answer you seek. I thought about getting one for year and finally got one this time last year. It has made a HUGE difference, for me anyway. I don't use it for 20 minutes a day like they suggest, I'll leave it on all day long and don't shut it off until after 9 pm

www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCLLYN5

I took your advice.
Use it as early in the morning as possible, not in the late afternoon or evening.  I get the above comment about leaving it on until 9PM, but for most people lots of blue light at night is going to make things worse, not better.

Got it overnighted and it’s on my desk at work. We will see how I feel later on. May just be placebo effect.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I get it in the summer. When it's 110 degrees and clear I don't want to do anything

Give me cold and gray any day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Its bad this year
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. I try to spend time outside when I can on nice days and take vit D.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got it overnighted and it's on my desk at work. We will see how I feel later on. May just be placebo effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Verilux is the answer you seek. I thought about getting one for year and finally got one this time last year. It has made a HUGE difference, for me anyway. I don't use it for 20 minutes a day like they suggest, I'll leave it on all day long and don't shut it off until after 9 pm

I took your advice.

Got it overnighted and it's on my desk at work. We will see how I feel later on. May just be placebo effect.
Placebos work, at least some of the time.  

This thread reminds me to dust off my Verilux "happy light".  I don't need it for SAD, but I got it free with a floor lamp and I need something to properly illuminate my face during Teams meetings.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seasonal Affective Disorder.....anyone else get it?  

It seems to hit me harder every year. As soon as the time change happens in fall, it seems to hit. I go to work in the morning in the dark, get stuck in an office all day with no windows, and then drive home as it's getting dark.  It just sucks the energy and motivation out of me.  After I get home from work, I don't even want to do anything except go to sleep.....it really sucks.   The weekends are better since I can get out in the sun and get some fresh air.......but during the week, it really stinks.  No sun at all + cold temps just suck any and all motivation I have to do anything after work.

Anyone else get the "winter blues".... ??  Any tips for trying to kick it?
View Quote

Vitamin D
2000-5000IU per day, or whatever your Dr recommends.
My DO says if you live north of the 35th parallel (Atlanta)
you are Vitamin D deficient throughout the winter.
Works for me every winter
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I love the winter. I spend most of it in Utah doing a ton of backcountry skiing and ice climbing. It's probably my favorite time of the year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I took your advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Verilux is the answer you seek. I thought about getting one for year and finally got one this time last year. It has made a HUGE difference, for me anyway. I don’t use it for 20 minutes a day like they suggest, I’ll leave it on all day long and don’t shut it off until after 9 pm…

I took your advice.

Did you use it much?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I love winter.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sometimes…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]
No, but I have sometimes noticed a general lower energy on rainy days.  Not really depressed, just a “lazy day” less-motivated feeling.  Probably a natural, instinctive response, as many animals tend to bed down and just sleep or rest when it’s raining.

That said, yesterday was drizzly and overcast all day, and I got a ton of work done in the house, mainly rewiring some receptacles and switches and a couple of lights.  Felt good.  I did go out for breakfast and had about five cups of coffee.  That might have had something to do with it.

Cornholio did electrical repair in my house this weekend.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Vitamin D
2000-5000IU per day, or whatever your Dr recommends.
My DO says if you live north of the 35th parallel (Atlanta)
you are Vitamin D deficient throughout the winter.
Works for me every winter
View Quote
Works for me too, I take 5,000 iU in the morning and then again with dinner. Bonus points for rarely getting sick.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top