User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And then within a generation they were hanging each other as witches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Religion came to America in many cases to get rid of persecution in Europe. You are agreeing with the prophecies in Daniel and Revelation in part. It's when religion mixes with the state and science that we get the theocracy of the Dark Ages. The younger generations think the no religion or Satan worship at an Ozzy concert is just kind of naughty fun and haven't seen where violating a climate change and religious Sunday law might get them beheaded.
And then within a generation they were hanging each other as witches.
Correct. Then came the great awakening in the late 1700 and 1800's and instead of outright persecution, they started their own denominations. We seen to be repeating that again with all the splits.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: Okay, but what if you're wrong?
View Quote
Uncountable thousands of gods have been invented and then faded away. The odds of anyone's faith in supernatural beings being wrong - including yours - is approximately 100%.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Uncountable thousands of gods have been invented and then faded away. The odds of anyone's faith in supernatural beings being wrong - including yours - is approximately 100%.
View Quote

The thing about gods and religions is, they can't all be right, but they CAN all be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Correct. Then came the great awakening in the late 1700 and 1800's and instead of outright persecution, they started their own denominations. We seen to be repeating that again with all the splits.
View Quote
According to Wikipedia, the Lutheran church alone has split into 40 varieties. And every one thinks it's the "true" one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The thing about gods and religions is, they can't all be right, but they CAN all be wrong.
View Quote

Hubris is a helluva god.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of "Christianity" is feminist churchianity so men lost interest.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You won't like the society that emerges when belief in the Christian God dies. Even if the entire proposition is false, it's been about the most useful framework around which the most free and functional societies have been structured.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Believing in a boogie man in the sky is fucking stupid

You won't like the society that emerges when belief in the Christian God dies. Even if the entire proposition is false, it's been about the most useful framework around which the most free and functional societies have been structured.

ie living in the West in 20xx
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
We live in the nuclear age. Basing decisions on superstition is no longer helpful in any way.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

Why? Assuming for the sake of argument that Christianity is factually false, what benefit would a society derive from its disappearance? Some cultural force would fill the vacuum, and I don’t think it would end up creating a safer, more prosperous, happier, and more moral society.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We live in the nuclear age. Basing decisions on superstition is no longer helpful in any way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust The Science

that explains your histrionics during a certain period of time starting in 2020

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why? Assuming for the sake of argument that Christianity is factually false, what benefit would a society derive from its disappearance? Some cultural force would fill the vacuum, and I don’t think it would end up creating a safer, more prosperous, happier, and more moral society.
View Quote

What's the downside to superstition being replaced by reason?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no reasonable argument against social Darwinism....
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
"For the gate is narrow and way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Most people who are outspoken against Christianity or "Religion" in general don't think you should have guns, eat meat, and they want to trans your kids. That's their side. That's what the majority of them think.

Of course we have members here that are non-believers that are just as passionate about 2A and freedom though. But they're a minority among non-beleivers.

Believe as you wish, and go ahead and use godless European countries as examples of bastions of freedom from religion. It's working out great for them it looks like.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So you’re saying when I need a fedora I should check with you?

Ignoring that the great minds of history were at the least deists is entirely a lower education response.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you’re saying when I need a fedora I should check with you?

Ignoring that the great minds of history were at the least deists is entirely a lower education response.

Theists don't get to claim the deists, they're totally different things.

Quoted:

Believing there is no god or religion relating to a higher power of any sort is the belief “Believing there is no god or religion relating to a higher power of any sort”.

Just like a person who believes there is a god, can’t prove it.  One who believes there isn’t a god can’t prove it either.

I’m saying either side of the argument is a belief in something.

Straw man.

Theology is characterized by revelation. A personal God, who intervenes in natural causality, to include revelation specifically, as to vest divine authority in doctrinal claims made by men.

Atheism is simply the absence of belief that any particular revelation is of divine origin. Deists believe in God, but that doesn't make them theists.

Deism, lacking that characterization, isn't a gnostic proposition. It's incapable of defining itself in any meaningful way, which is why there is no real organized deist religion.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Results.

Reason as the sole basis for values rapidly devolves into arrogance and totalitarianism enforced by those who decide what constitutes reason this week.

Judeo-Christian values build strong communities.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That.

Only Judeo-Christian values build strong communities?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same thing goes for the dragon I keep in my garage. Don't believe it? Boy are you in for a surprise one of these days. I can't tell you when, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you find out He is real and see Him coming in the clouds with power and glory…….
Same thing goes for the dragon I keep in my garage. Don't believe it? Boy are you in for a surprise one of these days. I can't tell you when, though.

You may very well have a dragon in your garage……..if so, feed him well or he will devour you

Christ will return when the Father tells Him it’s time…….. we don’t know the hour or the day, but I believe He will return just as He said He would……. The great thing about free will is you don’t have to believe….. that is your right and I respect your right to not believe
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Hopefully, some unbelievers who see future Bible prophecies unfold, will recognize the significance and it will help them to believe. 

Jesus said (John 14:29)
29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The UK might be rejecting Christianity but I'll bet it's as religious as ever. The religious fervor will just be focused in a different direction. Social change, climate crisis, politics, anti-racism, gender equality, lgtbq etc.

The West is dying, so no one should be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Judeo-Christian values build strong communities.
View Quote

You DO realize that "Judeo-Christian values" are neither unique to Judeo-Christianity, nor developed by Judeo-Christians, right? Strong communities can, and have been, built upon those values long before Judeo-Christianity was conceived.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#23]
My family was very religious until my parents generation, who primarily came of age in the ‘60s and ‘70s.

I think there’s two people of my generation that still attend church and we both joined as adults. One is RCC, one is EOC.

My church is rented from the CoE and they have so few people attending now, they don’t even bother having us rearrange the church for their services like they used to insist on.

I meet quite a few committed Anglicans, mostly priests. They visit to attend our services. All of them are very elderly now, except one in his ‘30s who’s considering leaving to become Eastern Orthodox.

EOC is growing in the U.K. through immigration and conversion. The Polish have also made a resurgence of the Catholic Church.

Quoted:
The UK might be rejecting Christianity but I'll bet it's as religious as ever. The religious fervor will just be focused in a different direction. Social change, climate crisis, politics, anti-racism, gender equality, lgtbq etc.
View Quote

That’s a perceptive observation. And it’s true.

It was Covidism but has now pivoted back to environmentalism.

I even know people that are in serious legal trouble over environmental protests. Normal adults otherwise, not idealistic students, but they lie down in traffic during the weekends and glue themselves to things.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

How has that panned out in atheist, “reason”-driven countries? Without an objective standard of morality, there is no higher authority to appeal to when someone else is “living their truth” by stealing, raping, murdering, and oppressing others. The State gets to determine morality, and we all know how that goes. See multiple dictatorships in the 20th century for examples.

Make no mistake, everyone serves a god of some kind, whether it’s self, environmentalism, communism, wokeism, the State, sex, etc. What kind of god a society serves will determine its course.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

During the French Revolution, the Revolutionaries attempted to replace Catholicism with a secular religion.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nothing new here. Religions flare up, spread wildly, burn out, mutate, re-emerge, etc. They behave very much like viruses.
View Quote

Or pitbulls.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hopefully, some unbelievers who see future Bible prophecies unfold, will recognize the significance and it will help them to believe. 

Jesus said (John 14:29)
29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.
View Quote

Jesus knew about Kanye?  Cool.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Why do you fast? | Orthodox Abbot Rafailo of the Podmaine Monastery responds
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
According to Wikipedia, the Lutheran church alone has split into 40 varieties. And every one thinks it's the "true" one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just found this thread again. I won't doubt you but that is shocking. I haven't read every translation by far but the books main message can't be so different that we get dozens of new denominations.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good

Believing in a boogie man in the sky is fucking stupid

View Quote

If you want to shit on religion you should try to understand beyond a 3 year old's level.

You might as well shit on Santa too if that's your level.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Who says the boogie man isn't under your bed?  Have you seen the Exorcist? It's true.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just found this thread again. I won't doubt you but that is shocking. I haven't read every translation by far but the books main message can't be so different that we get dozens of new denominations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There aren't dozens of new denominations, there are thousands. The three Abrahamic religions - Judaism, Christianity and Islam - are all remarkably similar. Same stories, same characters, same messages. But they all hate each other. And they have each divided into sects - protestant Christianity alone has a couple thousand - and each one of them thinks it is the correct one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: Okay, but what if you're wrong?

And how do the odds change if you believe those earlier gods to some degree were grasping toward the actual truth.

Regarding superstition vs reason. I’ve attempted to reason myself out of belief at least a thousand times and yet my experiences and observations keep bringing me back to the same conclusion. There is a God.

Part of those observations have to do with the overwhelming arrogance of resolute unbelievers but that’s neither here nor there. It is a repeatable observable event however.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aye and sometimes these are over small issues which shouldn’t divide. Some bigger issues should. The reason for those big splits are those who seek to follow established biblical principles and those who don’t.

Lutherans for the most part though are a reasonable people and I doubt that the majority think they’re the true church.

There are larger sects who definitely do think like that to the degree they deny a persons salvation for belonging to any but their church. This is also unbiblical. This is also a repeatable observable event.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Hard to say whats happening worldwide thats making the drastic drop in numbers.
But where Im at Ive seen more and more Faith based Christians shy away from churches due to so many pastors straying from the actual book.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#37]
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - John Adams

Prophetic words that ring more true as each day passes in Clown World.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Declining or diluted?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#39]
We have to have a great falling away and one more great awakening if I understand any of it, so which comes first. It's moving right now and feels like falling away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's certainly one way to look at it, and the way religious people tend to.

If you want to claim there's a secular religion, science is it, because science and dogma are antithetical and that's the choice we all face.

I'd call what you're talking about worldliness, and I'd say it cuts both ways. All the energy believers put into their religion would be useful if it were applied to the problems of this world, and not just for the purpose of proselytization.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hard to say whats happening worldwide thats making the drastic drop in numbers.
But where Im at Ive seen more and more Faith based Christians shy away from churches due to so many pastors straying from the actual book.
View Quote
Religion is retreating before science and reason.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top