User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are getting old, a 20v Dewalt battery can pretty much build a deck on a inpact driver. Some tools eat more juice like saws and even portable heat guns but for the lost part battery tool are for 90% of the job.
View Quote
I bought the 40V Makita XGT impact to do my deck.
I've been working on it for a month now and still have half battery life on the first charge. (granted, not 8 hour a day usage) The battery life and torque are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
While I rarely use corded tools I do not throw them away. I have 2 corded circular saws, a Jig saw, sanders and I use a corded drill to remove 5.56 crimps in cases

However, for most things I use lithium tools
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't have any battery powered tools.  Everything is plug in.  I should get with the 21st century though.  Any deals on right now?  There's lots of china stuff (I know its all made in china, but like china brands).  I don't use a drill very often to be honest but I did love using battery powered when I did some handyman work with a friend.
View Quote

Milwaukee or Dewalt without a second thought is my usual resposne( I love my M18 and M12 tools)

As a here and there kinda guy the Ryobi line might be up your alley
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought the 40V Makita XGT impact to do my deck.
I've been working on it for a month now and still have half battery life on the first charge. (granted, not 8 hour a day usage) The battery life and torque are ridiculous.
View Quote

I have always heard Makita is a real beast....the guys that did our house remodel used Makita for everything

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I use tools every day. I run an independent auto repair shop. I use what works. Time is money, but rework is how you go broke. I have hand tools, air tools, cordless stuff, etc. It all has it’s place. I know guys who try use power tools on everything. It leads to doing it a second time often enough.

Buy the basics, buy quality. He will figure out what he likes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While I rarely use corded tools I do not throw them away. I have 2 corded circular saws, a Jig saw, sanders and I use a corded drill to remove 5.56 crimps in cases

However, for most things I use lithium tools
View Quote

Corded tools are practically obsolete now. Battery powered tools put out even more power than what you can get from an AC socket.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't have any battery powered tools.  Everything is plug in.  I should get with the 21st century though.  Any deals on right now?  There's lots of china stuff (I know its all made in china, but like china brands).  I don't use a drill very often to be honest but I did love using battery powered when I did some handyman work with a friend.
View Quote

@nothumanactual

Tons for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Home Depot has DeWalt kits with the larger the kit you buy, the more free tools you get, or regular boxed kits are on deep discount vs MSRP.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
No. You will always need hand tools unless you like over-torqueing and stripping heads. There's always finish/delicate work that's best done by hand.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
To a large extent, yes.  I remember battery-powered tools in the 90s.  Useless turds.  No power, short life, long recharging times, "memory".
With today's lithium batteries, I am amazed at what can be battery powered, including high power things like air compressors and chainsaws, as well as all the usual hand tools.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To a large extent, yes.  I remember battery-powered tools in the 90s.  Useless turds.  No power, short life, long recharging times, "memory".
With today's lithium batteries, I am amazed at what can be battery powered, including high power things like air compressors and chainsaws, as well as all the usual hand tools.
View Quote

Lithium batteries changed everything over the past 10 years, from drones to electric cars to smartphones. Which means we're in deep shit when it runs out.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I have hand tools and cordless power tools. having both covers all the bases and sometimes hand tools are the best way to go in some circumstances. Never give up the old ways.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#12]
yep. same as paid women have replaced free women.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I use battery-powered tools when I can, which is pretty often. But things like impact drivers and impact wrenches can never fully replace screwdrivers and wrenches. Fine work aside, you can't always fit a power tool where you need it.

Now air tools, I can't see myself ever buying an air tool again. Just maybe 5 years ago or so my dad invested in a nice Ingersoll Rand air impact wrench. It was a complete waste of money. Where we could use one is almost never in convenient reach of a compressor. And I have several Metabo cordless impact wrenches that are simply amazing; they will run a VERY long time on my 8.0ah or even 5.5ah batteries.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve worked in some shops that if you get out and use a battery tool, you will be asked to roll your box. That said, my DeWalt gyro screwdriver gets a ton of use.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the hand tools.

Bore 1.25" holes through 40 sixty year old spruce joists.

Milwaukee Super Hawg M18 versus even the Hole Hawg, or anything manual. ....  different planet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You are getting old, a 20v Dewalt battery can pretty much build a deck on a inpact driver. Some tools eat more juice like saws and even portable heat guns but for the lost part battery tool are for 90% of the job.
View Quote

Yeah.  My angle grinder will eat through batteries, but that's doing lots of pretty heavy grinding on steel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Get both
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah.  My angle grinder will eat through batteries, but that's doing lots of pretty heavy grinding on steel.
View Quote

Yep, my cordless Metabo grinder runs through batteries faster than any other cordless tool I own. And Metabo batteries are very good. Doesn't really need to be heavy grinding to do it either.

On the other hand, my Metabo cordless impact drivers and impact wrenches will run a very long time on a battery.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#19]
For some applications, yes. Primarily drilling and cutting, it's rare to see someone cutting conduit with a hacksaw these days.

One or two old timers mentioned running self-tappers with a phillips screwdriver and their pliers, back when battery tools were extremely expensive and rare. Now every contractor will have a few sets of drills and impacts for their guys, which does improve production compared to the old ways. And almost anything is better than running a drop cord, shit's time-consuming and those things are expensive, plus they tend to either disappear or get nicked, upon which the safety queer cuts the damn thing.

I think the biggest improvement has been with hammer drills and rotary hammers, you can even get those battery operated these days, though I've had bad luck with milwaukee's 18V rotary hammer lately. We somehow burned up two of them doing lightweight shit, I'm 99% certain they were lemons, probably a bad batch. The 18v and 12v SDS are awesome, makes life so much easier when working around blockwork and concrete.

The 12v fuel mini bandsaw is badass, too, the basic 12v bandy sucks for anything bigger than 3/4 EMT.

I've also seen little 6V screw drivers, those will eventually end up replacing the multi-bit 10-in-1 screwdrivers for the most part, except for specialty tasks. Always need a beater flathead, and insulated stuff for working live panels. Plus a 10-in-1 is cheaper than a powered one.

Ratchets and wrenches can be replaced by impacts, but there's always places where a drill won't fit, so they'll always have a place.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my M18 Fuel stuff but I’m partial to hand tools…

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#21]
My thoughts on battery powered stuff is at a certain point of market saturation, manufacturers lose a lot of their ability to change things up and render older tools obsolete with a new battery type or format.

If a manufacturer stops making stuff for something that has become super ubiquitous, the aftermarket will come along with aftermarket stuff to keep all the older stuff running, at least for a decent chunk of time.  Could be wrong, but it seems logical from a business perspective.

As for power tools replacing hand tools, I think we’ve reached a point where it makes sense in a lot of cases.  Really depends on the tool type, though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#22]
If it fits and is appropriate for the job, I'm looking for a battery powered tool first. If not, I'll use a hand tool.

Changed out brakes, rotors, and shocks recently and didn't use a hand tool except for a torque wrench. Battery powered impacts FTW!

Less straining and maybe even safer too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#23]
If Larry Haun was still alive, hed be using pneumatic and 18v/36v/60v almost extensively.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have battery, air, and hand tools.  Everything gets used.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I inherited my Great Grandfather's hand planes. No battery powered tool currently available is capable of the same finesse I can achieve with those old dinosaur tools.

Today's battery powered tools completely eliminate the need for yesterday's corded and pneumatic tools in a production environment, except for the cost of disposable batteries and chargers.

Best advice: Get all the tools. :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lithium batteries changed everything over the past 10 years, from drones to electric cars to smartphones. Which means we're in deep shit when it runs out.
View Quote

Just like what they said about oil running out.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have battery, air, and hand tools.  Everything gets used.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Use hand tools mostly as working on cars 87% of the fasteners I need to get to verge on the realm of impossibility even with getting the most compact hand tool on it.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Battery powered grinders are nice, but they still haven't reached the point where they replace corded models.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that is a different argument.

They were talking about reducing oil use to conserve what they viewed as a finite resource.

Lithium on the other hand has the power of government shoving more and more demand into it all at once.  You have states banning all gas small engines leaving lithium or hand powered as the only option at the same time they are pushing to dump all fossil fuel vehicles in new cars in the next eight years at the same time more devices are consuming lithium.  

It takes a long time to bring a new lithium production facility online.  There just is not enough being done to meet this demand IMO and the supply chain for lithium is going to force reality to set in greatly extending these dead line to eliminating them entirely.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For some applications, yes. Primarily drilling and cutting, it's rare to see someone cutting conduit with a hacksaw these days.

One or two old timers mentioned running self-tappers with a phillips screwdriver and their pliers, back when battery tools were extremely expensive and rare. Now every contractor will have a few sets of drills and impacts for their guys, which does improve production compared to the old ways. And almost anything is better than running a drop cord, shit's time-consuming and those things are expensive, plus they tend to either disappear or get nicked, upon which the safety queer cuts the damn thing.

I think the biggest improvement has been with hammer drills and rotary hammers, you can even get those battery operated these days, though I've had bad luck with milwaukee's 18V rotary hammer lately. We somehow burned up two of them doing lightweight shit, I'm 99% certain they were lemons, probably a bad batch. The 18v and 12v SDS are awesome, makes life so much easier when working around blockwork and concrete.

The 12v fuel mini bandsaw is badass, too, the basic 12v bandy sucks for anything bigger than 3/4 EMT.

I've also seen little 6V screw drivers, those will eventually end up replacing the multi-bit 10-in-1 screwdrivers for the most part, except for specialty tasks. Always need a beater flathead, and insulated stuff for working live panels. Plus a 10-in-1 is cheaper than a powered one.

Ratchets and wrenches can be replaced by impacts, but there's always places where a drill won't fit, so they'll always have a place.
View Quote

Last time I used a hacksaw was to cut an ancient stuck flange bolt on a water closet a few months ago.  Space was an issue not to mention the risk of a sawsall smacking, or vibrating something fragile making the repair vastly more expensive if something broke.  

I get the trades going with it.  Time is definitely money.  I think it could be different calculations for amateur DIYers.

Most of my friends are not in the trades, but just guys that DIY around the house.  My thoughts were always get the hand tool version first, then if you are using it a lot consider getting a power version to make you more efficient.  They just wanted the more efficient option first and maybe get a hand tool if they need it for something special or specific.  I can sort of see their point but thats a lot of coin to drop if one needs a socket and ratchet for a brake job and ends up buying an impact instead of the ratchet.  If you arent using the tool to make money somehow I think it skews the calculation, especially if you are not using it even occasionally.  

Going back to my Son I think it better for inexperienced people starting out to start with hand tools too.  Its probably safer, and will cause less collateral damage as they gain their skills.  Do you agree?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got a 1/2" corded drill I use to mix paint and whatnot with; it's my bitch but I do take care of it.  Not sure if any of my cordless units have the internal construction to handle the torque and heat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've got a 1/2" corded drill I use to mix paint and whatnot with; it's my bitch but I do take care of it.  Not sure if any of my cordless units have the internal construction to handle the torque and heat.
View Quote

I know Metabo makes cordless stirrers.

https://www.metabo.com/us/enus/tools/cordless-tools/screwing-drilling-chiseling-stirring/cordless-stirrers/rw-18-ltx-120-601163850-cordless-stirrer.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
The right tool for the right job.....

Sure, an impact is nice for getting lug nuts off.  But I'm not fitting an impact in a tight space where I can barely reach a nut....for that I used a combo hand wrench.

I have air tools, battery tools, and hand tools...all get used for specific jobs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
In the late 60's I used all hand tools except one plug in electric drill that was weak.  

In the early 70's plug in stuff was available but heavy and clunky.

By the 90's I used almost all plug in, some battery.

By the 00's everything with a few exceptions is battery or compressed air.  I still use hand tools when it makes sense but powered other then that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top