BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Navy beans with cubed ham is my current favorite. I threw a turkey wing, onions, carrot and celery in there for this latest batch. Yum.
View Quote
An old classic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend Brunswick stew but I can only imagine how badly Arfcom would fuck it up after seeing the “chili” threads.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Add a couple cups of dry red wine, and triple the garlic.  My grandma (born in the Azores) made it all the time like that with her homemade linguica.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36202/image0-7_jpeg-2614561.JPG

I use a pound of mild Italian sausage, just pinch off small chunks and toss in.  If it was just for me, I'd use linguica. Also I get two huge russets otherwise use plenty of smaller potatoes.  I used canned white beans.  You'll need a large stockpot.

This is what I'm making today, with linguica. Thanks for posting the recipe - Mine didn't have vinegar in it, nice touch.

Add a couple cups of dry red wine, and triple the garlic.  My grandma (born in the Azores) made it all the time like that with her homemade linguica.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tasted it and it seemed a little more bland than I had hoped. Contemplating making some sausage with a different profile to add in to it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Avgolemono soup with chicken is a good one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
An old classic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Navy beans with cubed ham is my current favorite. I threw a turkey wing, onions, carrot and celery in there for this latest batch. Yum.
An old classic.

I like a little white pepper in navy bean soup
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Me too! The girls made up a bunch of them but we dip them in hot gravy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294057/383480FC-3841-4A50-890B-783394E9EC46_jpe-2614651.JPG
View Quote

That’ll work.

As a kid, I couldn’t stand Mayo.  Now I can’t get enough.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I took this picture to be a smartass in the chili threads here, but if you take all this, and put it together it's a pretty awesome soup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70083/20200216_132524-1278734.jpg
View Quote
Thanks, I'm actually going to give this a whirl this week.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tasted it and it seemed a little more bland than I had hoped. Contemplating making some sausage with a different profile to add in to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a pound of mild Italian sausage, just pinch off small chunks and toss in.  If it was just for me, I'd use linguica. Also I get two huge russets otherwise use plenty of smaller potatoes.  I used canned white beans.  You'll need a large stockpot.

This is what I'm making today, with linguica. Thanks for posting the recipe - Mine didn't have vinegar in it, nice touch.

You bet. The recipe looks bland. I’d add some beef paste, and a couple pinches of dried red chile also. Play with it until it’s like you like.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a soup, but brown a pound of hamburger then toss in two or three cans
of pork and beans. That is the core. You can add onions, garlic, any spice you
want and any heat you want. Simmer it to the consistency you want. If you
need to add a bit of water, but just a bit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
My humble offering is another Navy Bean soup.

https://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-navy-bean-soup-with-kielbasa-506917
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

No reason to not use linguica! Going to try this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
…and then, you make a gumbo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You bet. The recipe looks bland. I’d add some beef paste, and a couple pinches of dried red chile also. Play with it until it’s like you like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another great suggestion. I added more garlic, red wine and dried red chile flakes and that definitely helped. Beef paste incoming. I think it needs more herbs as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]

That looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cook time (2 hours) draws out of a lot of flavors.

I think it's fairly authentic, but the only soup my Ava would make is fish head soup.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Needs bell peppers as well.  Smoked sausage can be used instead of ground beef.

I slice the sausage into 1/4 inch thick rounds and cook on a rack in the oven to brown it and eliminate excess fat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I slice the sausage into 1/4 inch thick rounds and cook on a rack in the oven to brown it and eliminate excess fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry but bell peppers are a waste and should go extinct.

Anything you want to do with a bell pepper can be done better with a real hot pepper. Even if you don't want a lot of heat, you can get way more flavor out of like a poblano or something
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Letting the bones cool before I pick through them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
No pics but had most of a whole roast chicken left over from Thanksgiving. I pulled all the meat off and broke up the bones and put them in a stock pot and boiled for a couple of hours, and then strained. Put the chicken meat in the broth with some celery, onions, carrots and garlic and cooked for about an hour and a half and made a really good chicken soup. I always take about 1/4 of the vegetables and put them in a blender and puree real good before adding them in, I think it helps with the flavoring.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Brown up some ground beef with onions.  Dice up carrots, celery, potatoes and throw all that in crockpot.  Add some beef broth and a little garlic.  After a couple hours add in Velveeta cheese.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more about these chezborger soup

Brown up some ground beef with onions.  Dice up carrots, celery, potatoes and throw all that in crockpot.  Add some beef broth and a little garlic.  After a couple hours add in Velveeta cheese.
Taste of home has a good recipe for Cheeseburger soup.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheeseburger-soup/
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Man that looks good!

You mind sharing the recipe?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
potato soup this week, deer chili next week(not getting into the bean thing), made chicken noodle (home made noodles) two weeks ago, I always have soup after it starts getting cold
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Man that looks good!

You mind sharing the recipe?
View Quote

Not so much about a recipe…
It’s all about the roux.
Make a dark roux, the color of an old copper penny.
Sauté your holy trinity in it until the veggies are soft.
Slowly add your stock to the roux so that it doesn’t clump up.

Real Cajuns will yell at me, but that was a chicken, sausage, and shrimp gumbo.
I added the sausage and chicken while the stock/roux was simmering.
Right before serving, I added the shrimp. Don’t want to overcook them.

Making a good gumbo isn’t rocket surgery, but it IS all about the roux. That’s what gives it the complex, deep flavor.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would recommend Brunswick stew but I can only imagine how badly Arfcom would fuck it up after seeing the “chili” threads.
View Quote

I'm smoking a small pork butt today. At least half will go with the left over turkey for Brunswick stew.

I made a stock Thursday with the carcass so it will be easy to pull it together once the pork is ready.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I am not complaining just observing

Arfcom reload

1 - 7 times fired LC brass annealed in a gas oven, lubed with 50/50 KYJelly and 0w30, full length resized, trimmed to 1.760001” flash hole deburred, and primer pockets uniformed.
2 - 27.5342 grains of CFE 223 lot # 265478, manufactured on a Wednesday, measured at sea level during a crescent moon, at 72.224*F
3 - Federal gold metal match small rifle primer with anvil holes orientated at 3 O’clock to the head stamp.
4 - 55 grain match moly coated boat tailed hollow point dipped in goats milk seated 0.016785” from the lands
5 - crimped so that the slots in the crimp die close by one half of a Christina Hendricks red pubic hair

Arfcom Soup

Potato
Bird Meat
Noddle
Vegetable
Water

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think it's fairly authentic, but the only soup my Ava would make is fish head soup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update, for those that make try the Portuguese Kale soup, The suggestions above really improved the final dish.

The base recipe was bland, based on suggestions here I added vinegar, wine, extra garlic, crushed red pepper and beef paste. I also simmered it for a few hours.
My wife, who coincidentally returned from Portugal yesterday, loved it and she's a hard sell on soup.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Guess I missed this thread yesterday…I was busy making soup!

My brother hosted Thanksgiving this year, we had about 22 guests, one of which also brought a ham just in case the turkey wasn’t enough (I should add here that my brother is an actual chef and there was no chance of not enough food). In addition to copious leftovers, I scored both the ham bone and the carcass! Others there were a little confused about my excitement to take home the “trash.” I just looked at them and they said “I guess you guys don’t do much cooking at home, these are best leftovers of the night!”

Anyway, the ham went into the stock pot, and a few hours later we were enjoying some of the best damn red-beans-and-rice I’ve ever had.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guess I missed this thread yesterday…I was busy making soup!

My brother hosted Thanksgiving this year, we had about 22 guests, one of which also brought a ham just in case the turkey wasn’t enough (I should add here that my brother is an actual chef and there was no chance of not enough food). In addition to copious leftovers, I scored both the ham bone and the carcass! Others there were a little confused about my excitement to take home the “trash.” I just looked at them and they said “I guess you guys don’t do much cooking at home, these are best leftovers of the night!”

Anyway, the ham went into the stock pot, and a few hours later we were enjoying some of the best damn red-beans-and-rice I’ve ever had.

View Quote

Ah man that sounds awesome
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I secured the Turkey carcass from our Thanksgiving Day feast.  Boiled it down for broth.  

Not sure what I’ll make  with it.  Probably use a little in the sauce/gravy portion of a Shepherd’s Pie (made with. Rundown instead of lamb).
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Anything you want to do with a bell pepper can be done better with a real hot pepper. Even if you don't want a lot of heat, you can get way more flavor out of like a poblano or something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give it a try.  I first had beans cooked this 50+ years ago.

Fairly certain poblanos weren't available around here. Buying a bell pepper wasn't really a thing either. They came from the garden or freezer, not the store.

For heat, I'm fond of Thai Dragons.

ETA I'm going to try these next summer.  My brother says they are really good.

Cajun Belle
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Final product.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#35]

I can see those small fat globules
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can see those small fat globules
View All Quotes

Small fat layer on the top of the stock. Someone wanted me to skim it off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Women must be stopped.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

Squash soup.

Half a pound of bacon
One onion diced
Summer Squash, zucchini, grey Squash, Italian Squash what ever you have available. Cut in to bite size chunks. Enough to fill your pot.
Can of sweet corn.
Monterrey jack cheese

Chop up bacon and cook til crispy.
Remove bacon and saut  onion in rendered fat. Reduce heat and fill pot to the brim with Squash and cover. Cook down so Squash releases most of its juices. Stir in undrained canned corn and shredded cheese.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:52:47 AM EDT
[#39]
i cannot emphasize enough how simple and satisfying tomato soup is.  and most people already have the stuff in their pantry.

here are 2 very simple recipes that i can vouch for:

Fresh Tomato Soup with Crispy Cheese Toast - Food Wishes

Grilled Cheese Sandwich & Tomato Soup (I can't believe this trick worked) | Weeknighting
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Costa Rican sopa de Olla Carne:...
...oxtail soup:  
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#41]
In addition to the gumbo, I also made a turkey chili. No beans (otherwise it’s meat and bean soup), but I some chopped, smoked brisket to it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Made some Mexican shrimp soup. Extra hot to melt out whatever is causing me to lose my voice.

Water, Clamato, salt, olive oil, garlic, onions, red potato, celery, chili de Arbol, and shrimp. Some Yucateco on top.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ham and Potato Soup.  Just finished a bowl. I double the recipe to get a week's worth. I add sharp cheddar in the bowl. It's good with crusty bread or crackers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSI-Ij_gUwg
View Quote
Chef John's ham and potato soup is one I frequently do, it's so good.

I have a pot of his "Billionaire's Franks and Beans - Hot Dog and Bean Stew " going on the stove right now:

Billionaire's Franks & Beans - Hot Dog and Bean Stew Recipe

Also made this to bring for thanksgiving (replaced chicken with turkey) - Cajun Chicken Ragu - Spicy Chicken and Sausage Stew :

Cajun Chicken Ragu - Spicy Chicken and Sausage Stew over Rice - Mardi Gras Special

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Borscht.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reminder OP.  I'm going to go with the potato/leak soup idea.

Carcass, mirepoix, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves on.

https://i.postimg.cc/mDrjNp1K/1-ECB68-FF-F6-F0-497-F-B49-F-3-F878-ABD3-B5-C.jpg
View Quote

I'm jealous you have fresh bay leaves!  Used to have a bush in the front yard in Louisiana
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#46]
French onion.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i cannot emphasize enough how simple and satisfying tomato soup is.  and most people already have the stuff in their pantry.

here are 2 very simple recipes that i can vouch for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fPYsw8XVm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkXmMVjFDg
View Quote
True.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Thai whitefish a la nage w coconut milk. Lime, chili, lemongrass, cilantro, shallot, fish sauce.

It's basically white fish poached in savory coconut broth steeped w the aromatics, but I always considered it a chowder, because I'm a Mainer. Warms you right up.

I cant even type this out without my mouth watering. It's so good.

I also make my thai chicken curry like a stew w Yukon gold potatoes and carrot, bell pepper. Household favorite.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I like the little platform you have for your coals and Dutch oven to sit on.
View Quote

@ Jambalaya

Thanks, it's just an old tire rim with an old plow disk welded on top.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top