Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2022 10:01:44 AM EDT
AP Fires Reporter Who Risked Triggering WWIII With Polish Missile Misinformation

Five days after the Associated Press cited an anonymous 'senior US intelligence official' in a story that claimed a Russian missile killed two Polish civilians, one of the two reporters behind the story was fired.

Reporters James LaPorta (fired) and John Leichester (not fired) share the byline on the now-retracted report, which sparked an entire news cycle that included talk of invoking 'Article 5' - the mutual defense agreement between NATO members - and which would have obligated other members to engage in collective defense, aka WWIII.
View Quote

Thank God AP isn't as suicidal as James LaPorta.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ukie Simp's screen name?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
User name?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
If it kills more orcs it's good hurr durr
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Imagine if you will, a world in which all news was met with skepticism, and Twitter posts weren’t taken as gospel…

Now entering…the twilight zone…
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone on ARF will help find a new position for him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

True, but this probably means a serious pay cut!
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ukie Simp's screen name?
View Quote

There's at least one unhinged person it could be.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ukie Simp's screen name?

At least 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's going to be sad when the democrats and RINOs, and pretend conservatives decide to pull the rug out because they're done milking that money train.

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
People at that level don’t get fired like that unless it’s discovered there was a pattern of intentional fabrication or other really egregious thing. My guess is they looked into the sourcing of the stories and found out the dude was either making shit up, or acting as a propaganda agent for a foreign gov. Or both.

It’ll be interesting to see if his other stories are amended or retracted.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#13]
The fact that the whole Poland False Flag thing has been done before in starting a World War seems to be a template for these people.  

Wonder if these guys were involved?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ukie Simp's screen name?
View Quote

Well, lets see, there's...
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#15]
The sun finally faded on his career
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People at that level don’t get fired like that unless it’s discovered there was a pattern of intentional fabrication or other really egregious thing. My guess is they looked into the sourcing of the stories and found out the dude was either making shit up, or acting as a propaganda agent for a foreign gov. Or both.

View Quote

This. Exactly this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Imagine if you will, a world in which all news was met with skepticism, and Twitter posts weren’t taken as gospel…

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ukie Simp's screen name?
View Quote

Something like DimBulb. Avatar should be saluting WEF flag.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol beat
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Ron Paul was right... again: Is Washington’s Dangerous Ukraine Boondoggle Starting to Unravel?

Last week the world stood on the very edge of a nuclear war, as Ukraine’s US-funded president, Vladimir Zelensky, urged NATO military action over a missile that landed on Polish soil. "This is a Russian missile attack on collective security! This is a really significant escalation. Action is needed," said Zelensky immediately after the missile landed.

But there was a problem. The missile was fired from Ukraine

....When the Ukraine war hysteria finally dies down – as the Covid hysteria died down before it – it will become obvious to vastly more Americans what an absolute fiasco this whole thing has been. Hopefully Republicans will accelerate that process when they take the House in January. It cannot come too soon!
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Editorial staff should be fired too.

There’s no way that story was the product of just one person.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't worry I'm sure he is interview with rueters, cnn, or msnbc, or some government owned media outlet to continue God's work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
He was being paid more as an intelligence asset anyway; and will be given orders to R&R at some kiddy diddler island and head to his next assignment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ukie Simp's screen name?
View Quote

"You already know"
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure he will find a home as a fact checker at some social media site, perhaps even the Whitehouse.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Loads of Ukraine bros here who would happily start WWIII, killing millions , if it drug the rest of the world into their mess, and earned them more cash to fight Russia. (Who are supposedly kicking russias ass easily )
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

*snort*
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or they are just trying to retain some small shred of credibility. They don't care if you tell lies as long as they are the right lies.

He had to fall on his sword. They probably had another higher paying job lined up for him with some government funded NGO. Where he'll keep doing what he's doing only being the one telling reporters what lies to tell.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
User name?
View Quote

I think it's wore out star, or some such.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Editorial staff should be fired too.

There’s no way that story was the product of just one person.
View Quote

It's ap, I'm surprised they bothered firing him. Lying is their only attribute.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
People at that level don't get fired like that unless it's discovered there was a pattern of intentional fabrication or other really egregious thing. My guess is they looked into the sourcing of the stories and found out the dude was either making shit up, or acting as a propaganda agent for a foreign gov. Or both.

It'll be interesting to see if his other stories are amended or retracted.
View Quote
Yeah, not sure about your assertion.

This isn't some rickity tickity mistake, this was a huge one.  This was a new coke level of bad.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, not sure about your assertion.

This isn't some rickity tickity mistake, this was a huge one.  This was a new coke level of bad.
View Quote

I wasn’t suggesting it was a minor error. Instead, my hypothesis is that this reporter strayed so far out of the bounds of AP’s already questionable ethics and journalistic standards that this guy was such a credibility risk that they had to make an immediate example of him.

Also, I think his previous work might come under (likely independent) scrutiny.  If AP dropped the hammer this quickly, then I think more revelations are likely in the coming days or weeks.

But who knows. If I’ve learned anything in the last couple of years it’s not to hold my breath waiting for the truth to emerge from media sources.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ukie Simp's screen name?

Is it the Sun-downer?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Signature worthy
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#41]
How many commenters actually read the ZeroHedge "article"?  I'm including the OP in that question.

The "article" completely leaves out any connection between the missile story and the firing while implying that he alone is responsible for the Article 5 conversation (which would have happened anyway.)  It also provided no link to any news story as a source for their article!

So, I looked for the original story and found it was initially broken by The Daily Beast.  The "misinformation headline" is a fabrication by ZH.  (Insert shocked/not that shocked meme here.)
AP Fires Reporter Behind Retracted ‘Russian Missiles’ Story

The piece, which was originally co-bylined with John Leicester (who is still working at the AP), attributed the information to a single “senior U.S. intelligence official,” despite the AP’s rule that it “routinely seeks and requires more than one source when sourcing is anonymous.”
View Quote

The Washington Post has more information:
Associated Press reporter fired over erroneous story on Russian attack

Internal AP communications viewed by The Post show some confusion and misunderstanding during the preparations of the erroneous report.

LaPorta shared the U.S. official’s tip in an electronic message around 1:30 p.m. Eastern time. An editor immediately asked if AP should issue an alert on his tip, “or would we need confirmation from another source and/or Poland?”

After further discussion, a second editor said she “would vote” for publishing an alert, adding, “I can’t imagine a U.S. intelligence official would be wrong on this.”

But a person at the Associated Press familiar with the larger conversations surrounding the story that day said LaPorta also told his editors that a senior manager had already vetted the source of LaPorta’s tip — leaving the impression that the story’s sourcing had been approved. While that editor had signed off on previous stories using LaPorta’s source, that editor had not weighed in on the missile story.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
User name?
View Quote

Check the usual suspect's daily post counts, ones gonna go up big time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#43]
They got checked by social media. It's really hard to push your story of a Russian missile hitting Poland when the Polish MoD themselves are posting photos of a spent S-300 motor, and everybody with a fraction of knowledge of Soviet armament knows that an S-300 isn't a cruise missile.

That's why the excuse changed to "it's Russia's fault because the war itself was started by Russia" - sure, technically that is true, but that really does not stand up to the level of scrutiny necessary to invoke NATO article 5.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#44]
In a statement, AP spokesperson Lauren Easton said, “The rigorous editorial standards and practices of the Associated Press are critical to AP’s mission as independent news organization.”

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#45]
smh
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many commenters actually read the ZeroHedge "article"?  I'm including the OP in that question.

The "article" completely leaves out any connection between the missile story and the firing while implying that he alone is responsible for the Article 5 conversation (which would have happened anyway.)  It also provided no link to any news story as a source for their article!

So, I looked for the original story and found it was initially broken by The Daily Beast.  The "misinformation headline" is a fabrication by ZH.  (Insert shocked/not that shocked meme here.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

AP Fires Reporter Behind Retracted ‘Russian Missiles’ Story

The piece, which was originally co-bylined with John Leicester (who is still working at the AP), attributed the information to a single “senior U.S. intelligence official,” despite the AP’s rule that it “routinely seeks and requires more than one source when sourcing is anonymous.”

Associated Press reporter fired over erroneous story on Russian attack

Internal AP communications viewed by The Post show some confusion and misunderstanding during the preparations of the erroneous report.

LaPorta shared the U.S. official’s tip in an electronic message around 1:30 p.m. Eastern time. An editor immediately asked if AP should issue an alert on his tip, “or would we need confirmation from another source and/or Poland?”

After further discussion, a second editor said she “would vote” for publishing an alert, adding, “I can’t imagine a U.S. intelligence official would be wrong on this.”

But a person at the Associated Press familiar with the larger conversations surrounding the story that day said LaPorta also told his editors that a senior manager had already vetted the source of LaPorta’s tip — leaving the impression that the story’s sourcing had been approved. While that editor had signed off on previous stories using LaPorta’s source, that editor had not weighed in on the missile story.

Put down your Daily Beast and read some real news:

NY Post:
The Associated Press has fired the journalist who reported a story that Russian-fired missiles crossed into Poland after it was revealed that Ukraine likely fired the projectiles, according to a report.

The publication took the article offline and replaced it with an editor’s note stating that the single source cited — a senior US intelligence people — had incorrect information and “subsequent reporting showed that the missiles were Russian-made and most likely fired by Ukraine in defense against a Russian attack.”

Before the story was retracted, the Nov. 15 article was widely spread by other publications across the internet and cable news.

LaPorta wrote a very dangerous disinfo article for the AP Newswire.  They should fire the editor as well.  Especially if they based it entirely on the word of this swamp creature or one of his brethren:

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

NY Post:

LaPorta wrote a very dangerous disinfo article for the AP Newswire.  They should fire the editor as well.  Especially if they based it entirely on the word of this swamp creature or one of his brethren:

https://mediadc.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/d14c1d7/2147483647/strip/true/crop/1500x1000+0+0/resize/1500x1000!/quality/90/?url=https:%2F%2Fmediadc.brightspotcdn.com%2F35%2F76%2F24d9ae522f478c197f87415c147a%2F65087735da5174a118566ceb004df280.jpg
View Quote
The NY Post article is consistent with what I posted and with the Daily Beast and WaPo articles I cited:
The piece did not follow the AP’s standard that reporting include more than one source when that source is anonymous.

The publication took the article offline and replaced it with an editor’s note stating that the single source cited — a senior US intelligence people — had incorrect information and “subsequent reporting showed that the missiles were Russian-made and most likely fired by Ukraine in defense against a Russian attack.” (emphasis mine)

The source was wrong which is unsurprising for initial reports.  There is no evidence cited that LaPorte's article was dis- or mis-information on his part.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The NY Post article is consistent with what I posted and with the Daily Beast and WaPo articles I cited:
The piece did not follow the AP’s standard that reporting include more than one source when that source is anonymous.

The publication took the article offline and replaced it with an editor’s note stating that the single source cited — a senior US intelligence people — had incorrect information and “subsequent reporting showed that the missiles were Russian-made and most likely fired by Ukraine in defense against a Russian attack.” (emphasis mine)

The source was wrong which is unsurprising for initial reports.  There is no evidence cited that LaPorte's article was dis- or mis-information on his part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY Post:

https://mediadc.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/d14c1d7/2147483647/strip/true/crop/1500x1000+0+0/resize/1500x1000!/quality/90/?url=https:%2F%2Fmediadc.brightspotcdn.com%2F35%2F76%2F24d9ae522f478c197f87415c147a%2F65087735da5174a118566ceb004df280.jpg

Definition of misinformation: Wrong information; false account or intelligence.Untrue or incorrect information. Information that is incorrect.

LaPorte's article was clearly misinformation.

Definition of disinformation: Deliberately misleading information announced publicly or leaked by a government or especially by an intelligence agency in order to influence public opinion or the government in another nation.Dissemination of such misleading information.The dissemination of intentionally false information to deliberately confuse or mislead.

Judging by his articles quoted in this thread, LaPorte's latest article is one in a series of propaganda pieces of disinformation

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm pretty sure LaPorta is here, and he's a gray bar for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top