Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My 17 yr old has been boxing for the last 4 years. He recently began BJJ. Never had an interest for Karate, Kung-Fu, etc...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For potential recess, yard fights in the future? Muy Thai, a couple of classes here and there of judo, bjj, wrestling will be easy to round out far beyond the levels of a school yard bully.

Most all fights start standing up and assuming you're not the aggressor, it also starts with a strike coming your way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 17 yr old has been boxing for the last 4 years. He recently began BJJ. Never had an interest for Karate, Kung-Fu, etc...
View Quote

Some BJJ gyms give good take down training, some don't. If his doesn't then it is good to add in judo or wrestling.

Also adding in MT to get the additional tools beyond boxing is good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have picked boxing

Skills are better to pick up young.   Once older transfer to JJ
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Real Jujitsu.  He will probably have to start with Judo.  It's possible to study both at the same times with little confusion.  I haven't seen a student under the age of 10 who really gets it.  So Karate until such a time as they can work and focus on technique beyond a highly stylized form of dance.
View Quote

Yeah I'd agree with this. If you do study Japanese Jujitsu do practice Judo as well. Ultimately its down to getting techniques down vs someone who isn't gonna cooperate with you which I've seen a ton of schools miss. And Judo more or less makes you learn that. BJJ for groundfighting is also good, again mainly because you are actually fighting someone instead of doing Kata or "permissive environment" techniques.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Traditional Japanese jujitsu encompasses strikes.  The problem is finding the right instructor & not some watered-down aikido-esque/wannabe-BJJ “my own special style” like all martial arts
View Quote

Yup 100% agree.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Awhile back I watched these 2 Japanese guys discuss the limitations of what they train in Japan. Timing and position is a big factor in outcomes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjKidVaSms
View Quote

Timing and position is critical, and is actually taught extremely well in modern fencing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Boxing and Judo

with BJJ all they do is sweat on each other and it's the most fruit type of training you will ever see.

Boxing teaches you how to actually knock someone TF out. It also shows you how to take a punch. Then there is Judo, where you learn to use the earth to beat your enemies ass.

Bonus points you don't have man nipple sweat falling into your mouth like in BJJ
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Kenpo
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Timing and position is critical, and is actually taught extremely well in modern fencing.
View Quote

Briefly dated a girl in college who fenced and we’ve had kendo and fencing students in my unarmed martial art school in Japantown who remarked about overlapping applications and principles. Trying to remember if Matt ever brings that up in his videos?                                    
Easiest type of sword fighting to learn for beginners?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup 100% agree.
View Quote

Finding a competent teacher who is also a good teacher - effective teaching principles is always the most important but difficult part. I’ve had some honest instructors refer me to better qualified teachers in the past.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
A fight will nearly always end up on the ground.

Best to know how to fight on the ground.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah I'd agree with this. If you do study Japanese Jujitsu do practice Judo as well. Ultimately its down to getting techniques down vs someone who isn't gonna cooperate with you which I've seen a ton of schools miss. And Judo more or less makes you learn that. BJJ for groundfighting is also good, again mainly because you are actually fighting someone instead of doing Kata or "permissive environment" techniques.

View Quote

The school I was at was free range so we had a lot of quitters after lost teeth, poked eyes and even just being kicked or punched during sparring. I discovered quite a few people just want a social club as their reason for attending.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Briefly dated a girl in college who fenced and we’ve had kendo and fencing students in my unarmed martial art school in Japantown who remarked about overlapping applications and principles. Trying to remember if Matt ever brings that up in his videos?                                     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ns41FGcUFc
View Quote

Yeah most swordwork has alot in common, like 20ish years ago when they started reviving European sword stuff from the Fettbuch's all the guys already had solid backgrounds in both Japanese sword stuff and fencing which probably heavily influenced the modern versions of it in various ahistorical ways.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The school I was at was free range so we had a lot of quitters after lost teeth, poked eyes and even just being kicked or punched during sparring. I discovered quite a few people just want a social club as their reason for attending.
View Quote

My original schools were similar to that. Far more hardcore than later ones I attended, and yep 100% agree on the social club part of it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Boxing and Judo

with BJJ all they do is sweat on each other and it's the most fruit type of training you will ever see.

Boxing teaches you how to actually knock someone TF out. It also shows you how to take a punch. Then there is Judo, where you learn to use the earth to beat your enemies ass.

Bonus points you don't have man nipple sweat falling into your mouth like in BJJ
View Quote
Eh.  Judo here plus BJJ and some Muay Thai.     BJJ has its uses.     My advice: find a legit school and not a mcdojo.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Completely untrue.

The links as to the origin of that BS have been posted on this fourm countless times.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
If you can find a Japanese Jujutsu dojo, go watch that for a while and compare it with the Brazilian dojo, as they are quite different.  Both are far better than sitting on the couch, it just depends on what you want to do with what you learn.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I did judo from 8 to 17. BJJ for 3 years in college and then coached high school wrestling.

Out of your choices BJJ is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#22]
People recommend Judo to me when my son was young.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

For a six year old?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Master Wu say, ….

‘Smart Cookie who can do Wing Chun be bad ass.”
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For a six year old?
View Quote

I can imagine all the prospective clients who come to visit who say or do the most perplexing things. I used to marvel at my instructors level of patience.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, that’s not at all what BJJ is. Frankly, if you are asking a question like that you need to do more independent research.

Personally I’d pick BJJ, getting hit in the head is overrated and unnecessary. Especially at and age the brain is still developing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will he learn to kick and throw punches through BJJ? I understand turning someone into a pretzel is important, but solid striking skills are necessary too.

No, that’s not at all what BJJ is. Frankly, if you are asking a question like that you need to do more independent research.

Personally I’d pick BJJ, getting hit in the head is overrated and unnecessary. Especially at and age the brain is still developing.

Thank god someone said this. I was a scrapper when I was younger. My dad would let me do anything but box. He wouldn’t let me get hit in the head 100s or 1000s of times

I’m so glad he stopped me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Master Wu say, ….

View Quote

There’s only 2 places in the world to study it and you’ll have to sink in 12 to 20 years time at least 3 days a week just to be effective enough to mitigate take downs, physically impressive opponents with decent skills and You get weird looking deformed shoulders by the end of it. The equivalent of wrestlers cauliflower ears but the shoulders. Psychologically 87% of Americans would not have the mindset to trust or have faith in it. I think I can count on 1 hand the number of western guys I’ve seen make it to 12 years in San Francisco. To be fair 87% of people rarely make it to 6 years like Bruce Lee who moved to Seattle with 6 years of training but considered himself good enough to instruct. No wonder he switched to making JKD with no way to fly back and forth to Hong Kong every week and other people get preoccupied with marriage/ family life, responsibilities at work or something interferes with continuing or showing up every week. Few people see the payoff off doing all that training on the chance of getting in a street fight for which 99% of people hope to never be involved with. Plus I see guys who show up but just go thru the motions or obviously don’t put in any time at home.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Eh.  Judo here plus BJJ and some Muay Thai.     BJJ has its uses.     My advice: find a legit school and not a mcdojo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boxing and Judo

yeah if you like sweaty man on your face
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#29]
reach is my only real advantage, so I'd advocate boxing I guess.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
BJJ.   You can throw in boxing as he matures and becomes more coordinated.  

As someone already mentioned, you want to avoid as many hits to the head as possible as a young kid.  Also BJJ will combine nicely with wrestling which is a school sponsored sport and has huge reach and a fantastic competitive environment.

Just getting used to scrapping around and being very uncomfortable in wrestling/BJJ will make him able to beat the brakes off 99.9% of people.

Fuck karate and the other traditional sports, we have evolved in the understanding of what wins fights.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As someone already mentioned, you want to avoid as many hits to the head as possible as a young kid.  Also BJJ will combine nicely with wrestling which is a school sponsored sport and has huge reach and a fantastic competitive environment.

Just getting used to scrapping around and being very uncomfortable in wrestling/BJJ will make him able to beat the brakes off 99.9% of people.

Fuck karate and the other traditional sports, we have evolved in the understanding of what wins fights.
View Quote

I can tell you skipped page 1
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There’s only 2 places in the world to study it and you’ll have to sink in 12 to 20 years time at least 3 days a week just to be effective enough to mitigate take downs, physically impressive opponents with decent skills and You get weird looking deformed shoulders by the end of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Master Wu say, ….

There’s only 2 places in the world to study it and you’ll have to sink in 12 to 20 years time at least 3 days a week just to be effective enough to mitigate take downs, physically impressive opponents with decent skills and You get weird looking deformed shoulders by the end of it.

Say who, … Grasshopper?

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I read it.  Young kids should learn on the ground to develop strength, endurance, athleticism, and discipline.  They can box when their brain isn’t in such a developmental stage.  

The key thing about being young is having a fun competitive environment for him to be absorbed into.

Most other faggoty ass martial arts are full of future school shooters with dads that lived in the 80s and have a ninja weapon collection at home
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For a six year old?
View Quote

I mean this is arfcom...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#35]
So I will speak on my self and this is just my own personal experience. I started out in elementary school age learning Judo and my coach instructor went on to help with Team USA and unfortunately at the time I didnt have any other Judo instructors to go in my area. I competed and also worked my way up to a green belt (Sankyu) and then went on to do Kenpo (type of karate) till I was in high school. I also began wrestling as a freshman and did that till I was a junior, then got a job and well...girls. Fast forward a few years and I also started working part time at different bars in and around Chicago as a bouncer and also around that time doing limited grappling and different martial arts events. Fast forward a few more years and began training again in muay thai and BJJ. I am currently a brown belt in BJJ and have trained with a few different places (Alliance, Brasa, Uflacker and now with Gracie Barra) and went to Tiger Muay Thai for a month long training camp a few years ago. So my recommendation as a kid who started around his age: dont worry so much about the style of martial art just try different places and see what he likes best and fits in at. My kids didnt fit in at Alliance it was no big deal we gave them a chance and trained elsewhere and I explained my self to the owner and I am still friends with him. Get him involved in something he likes and dont worry so much about the style (BJJ, Karate or whatever). If I had to choose a martial art that I would say to train in just for a broad and general martial art I would have to go with BJJ, Judo and then muay thai. Any ? feel free to message me and more then happy to help and wish you and him all the best in this whatever path he takes. YOUNG GRASSHOPPER
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Jiu Jitsu.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I will speak on my self and this is just my own personal experience. I started out in elementary school age learning Judo and my coach instructor went on to help with Team USA and unfortunately at the time I didnt have any other Judo instructors to go in my area. I competed and also worked my way up to a green belt (Sankyu) and then went on to do Kenpo (type of karate) till I was in high school. I also began wrestling as a freshman and did that till I was a junior, then got a job and well...girls. Fast forward a few years and I also started working part time at different bars in and around Chicago as a bouncer and also around that time doing limited grappling and different martial arts events. Fast forward a few more years and began training again in muay thai and BJJ. I am currently a brown belt in BJJ and have trained with a few different places (Alliance, Brasa, Uflacker and now with Gracie Barra) and went to Tiger Muay Thai for a month long training camp a few years ago. So my recommendation as a kid who started around his age: dont worry so much about the style of martial art just try different places and see what he likes best and fits in at. My kids didnt fit in at Alliance it was no big deal we gave them a chance and trained elsewhere and I explained my self to the owner and I am still friends with him. Get him involved in something he likes and dont worry so much about the style (BJJ, Karate or whatever). If I had to choose a martial art that I would say to train in just for a broad and general martial art I would have to go with BJJ, Judo and then muay thai. Any ? feel free to message me and more then happy to help and wish you and him all the best in this whatever path he takes. YOUNG GRASSHOPPER
View Quote

Yeah probably the best advice for kids IMO, esp younger ones.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, I read it.  Young kids should learn on the ground to develop strength, endurance, athleticism, and discipline.  They can box when their brain isn’t in such a developmental stage.  

The key thing about being young is having a fun competitive environment for him to be absorbed into.

Most other faggoty ass martial arts are full of future school shooters with dads that lived in the 80s and have a ninja weapon collection at home
View Quote

And for school fights it is much better to be able to resolve the issue without hitting anyone. There is a huge advantage in being able to resolve things without striking.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was the issue with Alliance?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn’t address anything that I posted on pg 1 but okay. But your post did remind me of a friend who’s granddaughter learned some basics and also one of my favorite videos for very young kids learning. They do need to be engaged and be having fun.  
Emma performs Siu Nim Tao for Grandpa at San Jose Wing Chun BBQ 2015
Adorable Three Year Old Ninja
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh also just to add: my parents sent me to a weird martial place in the area(I seriously think it was a cult and made up ) after my Judo coach left, they encouraged me to keep going there because it was cheaper and close for them. A few big red flags about that place: the parents couldnt watch the classes, the owner / instructor really pushed for an almost gang like atmosphere (I know sounds like Cobra Kai but this was the early eighties also) and some other issues like if you quit they made you keep paying and all sorts of stuff with the gi and belts. This was a long time ago and they also had alot of issues with people getting seriously hurt like concussions and broken bones almost every week. So watch out for your kids I think most of this kind of stuff has been run out of the system based on reviews and yelp stuff but just make sure you watch the atmosphere and the vibe the instructors and classes give you and trust your gut instincts if anything doesnt feel right. If the owner has been bouncing from town to town and place to place ask them why, also ask them about their training and who they trained under. About ten years ago a "kung fu" place opened up locally and next thing you know he closes shop, then opens up another place two towns over and then continues this. Turns out the guy was doing tax evasion and not paying rent and never had any formal training in the art.

I wish I could remember the name of the weird place and the martial art it was like wing jiu do or jet ka so, I wish I could remember it but that should have been the biggest give away right there that the place was just a belt factory.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Boxing since I’ve practiced on BJJ already.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What was the issue with Alliance?
View Quote

They trained more for the IBJJF then anything else and the kids didnt like that. My daughter at the time was just getting out of doing competitions and it just didnt sit well with her. She did great for a while and won many NAGA, IBJJF, New Breed and other tournaments and was also sponsored by a Gi company. Her nickname was : Katie the Kimura Killer lol

here is a link to when she was really into the tournaments
my daughter BJJ thread
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They trained more for the IBJJF then anything else and the kids didnt like that. My daughter at the time was just getting out of doing competitions and it just didnt sit well with her. She did great for a while and won many NAGA, IBJJF, New Breed and other tournaments and was also sponsored by a Gi company. Her nickname was : Katie the Kimura Killer lol

here is a link to when she was really into the tournaments
my daughter BJJ thread
View Quote

The IBJJF has done more to ruin BJJ than everything else combined. I hate them soooo much.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#45]
My son started wrestling when he was 5 and at 10 he also began bjj. Youth wrestling in western Pennsylvania is intense and having a 13x world champion bjj Professor is a serious plus. Now my son is 16, a blue belt, wrestling state champion and hundreds of matches in each sport. He grew bored with wrestling last year and has decided to focus on bjj with some kickboxing and boxing (bag/dummy). I think wrestling was far more beneficial early (5-10yrs old) vs what I have seen with the young kids doing bjj (5-10yrs old). The transition from bjj to wrestling was more challenging every season than wrestling back to bjj. Each compliments the other with wrestling being more dynamic and bjj being more cerebral in very general terms. I think bjj excels with a bit more maturity. Just my observation over the last 16yrs.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Boxing so he can learn to end things quickly while standing like a man. The chances he will ever come across someone in the street that can counter his boxing skill with a fancy martial art, wrestling, or MMA are slim to none anyway.  Boxing is also good for the soul and very fitness oriented. No better feeling than knowing how to easily evade the average joe and knock him flat out .  

Start with boxing basics and if he ever feels the need to add to then MMA could be useful. Striking is definitely more important to learn first for self defense though
View Quote

Lol. A double leg beats a boxer 9/10 times. “Stand like a man” Thank you for clarifying that you can’t fight
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Put your kid in BJJ and start taking classes yourself. You’re never too old for BJJ and doing something like that with your kid will be awesome for both of you.

I didn’t read all 3 pages, but BJJ and Boxing are the only things you should be considering because they actually work.

You can be the best boxer in the world but if you can’t defend a takedown it’s going to be a rough day. BJJ and then if your kid shows interest in striking down the road introduce boxing or MT.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Every single UFC fighter trains BJJ in some facet and the best UFC fighters by large are strong grapplers whether that be wrestling or BJJ.

What people in this thread don’t seem to understand is that grapplers dictate whether the fight stays standing or goes to the ground. Understanding how to defend a takedown is just as important as being able to establish a takedown. How to get back up is another aspect of wrestling or BJJ that people don’t understand as well.

I was a HS wrestler and I’m a pretty active competitor in BJJ currently. My gym is an MMA gym so pretty much everything is taught with strikes in mind and understanding where you are vulnerable and I train a mix of striking to complement my Jiu Jitsu.

Ultimately it’s up to you and you can train whatever you like, but the UFC (especially in the early days) has taught us which disciplines are the most dominant and important since 1993. You would be wise to follow those lessons. Whatever you decide, train with your kid. Don’t be the mouth breathing overweight parent telling your kid to go harder when you have no idea what they are going through. Lot of life lessons for everyone of any age to be learned on the mats.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top