User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ve got two large buildings with just house wrap on them

I told them they needed to use a fluid applied WRB but what do I know, I’m just a dumbass contractor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Folks around here are getting wound up. Hurricane Michael PTSD I guess. They hate when I remind them that they still live on the GoM.

I’ve got two large buildings with just house wrap on them

I told them they needed to use a fluid applied WRB but what do I know, I’m just a dumbass contractor.

My new office building is dried in and closed up, but no insulation yet because EPCI is dragging ass. I really don't want to have to go backwards here...I wanted to be in this thing in early 2021.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, there have been plenty of occasions where the forecast was dead on a week out for direction but not intensity or vice versa.

Michael - they nailed the path, but projected a strong TS and got a Cat 5.
Katrina - intensity was spot on most of the time, but the projected path moved from Panama City west with almost every update over the course of several days (from memory).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

These two buildings are 12 unit condos that are occupied.

Please go east Mr. Hurricane.
View Quote

Oof. Refreshing exteriors?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think most of the Publix have backup power.  IIRC, there was some legislation a few years back that required grocery stores and gas stations to have backup power.
View Quote

If it's that bad they just give it away because everyone is screwed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Considering going out and buying a window unit now... just in case. I've wanted one for the better part of a year now that I have a generator, for the first hurricane season of my life, and I'll be honest... I'm in the "fuck that food, we can buy more" camp, but I can't sleep indoors without AC.
View Quote

Tell me how that works when there is no electricity and all the stores are closed, bridges washed out and roads impassable because of miles long tree blowdowns?  The time to stock up is now. Then plan primary, alternate and subsequent routs to safety.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm moving the ARFCOM Yacht from Fort Lauderdale to SWFL over the weekend.  My neighbors are pissed after all the jokes about how hurricanes follow me - this one shows up 72 hours after I get back
View Quote

IMO..you may very well be going the wrong direction.
I understand having it closer to home and home resources but..?
Of the 4 most likely model runs..this far out !
So far all the real talk is that it cones up through the west end of Cuba into the gulf. Interacts with the front coming next week.
Then turns east at some point. Only one model run had it curve before key west and head east back across Monroe, dade, broward. With no current models having broward as a first landfall direct hit.

Having dodged quite a few over the years.
If you leave early enough. Options are east into the Bahamas or North. Both give you options to move further or other directions. Or simply keep going east, NE away from it and circle back around to the south as it progresses west, north, NE.
Going home will most likely leave you with few to no other options by Monday.

Just a thought. I guess my only point was maybe consider not getting trapped with no options this early in the game.
Best wishes. Hope you get through unscathed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Bring it on. Maybe it'll blow all the yankee refugees from the last couple years back up north
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So far all the real talk is that it cones up through the west end of Cuba into the gulf. Interacts with the front coming next week.
Then turns east at some point. Only one model run had it curve before key west and head east back across Monroe, dade, broward. With no current models having broward as a first landfall direct hit.

If you leave early enough. Options are east into the Bahamas or North. Both give you options to move further or other directions. Or simply keep going east, NE away from it and circle back around to the south as it progresses west, north, NE.

Just a thought. I guess my only point was maybe consider not getting trapped with no options this early in the game.
View Quote

That is if a front even gets this far south. They haven't done that yet this season.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is if a front even gets this far south. They haven't done that yet this season.
View Quote

True..
What I saw discussed this morning was an indication that this one is going to interact with whatever tropical system comes this way.

Yes.. nothing is fact this far out.
In my previous yachting life I learned make every attempt to leave as many options on the table as possible. Right up until your time window closes. Based on speed and capability of number of hours underway at 30 knots or chugging along at 12kts.
I know plenty of people that blasted out of the marina 36 hours before SHTF but all fast boats.
Otherwise…use the stuck wherever plan. Do your best and ride it out. A few that simply chugged offshore at 10kts for a couple days.

I also know plenty of people that lost trying to ride it out. No one died but boats got totaled.
Not being there is the single best thing to avoid having those issues.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Number1gun I'm with you and would rather sit in Lauderdale.  Unfortunately the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show build-out starts next week.  Basically every yacht in Fort Lauderdale has to leave and everything within 100 nm appears to be booked.  The only option would be to run to the Bahamas, but we're not at all staged for that.  We should be in Sanibel Island by Sunday but may very well push up the river and get behind a lock by Tuesday or so and hunker down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahh..yes. I forgot about the boat show starting the process.
I should have remembered I just got an invite.
Yes..leaves you with a conundrum..and yes..between boats headed to south Florida for the show and boats headed south from up north..most everything is booked.
I never had those issues as the boat was always at Merritts till November.
I had some dam good paydays moving boats in and out over the years.

Best wishes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Number1gun I'm with you and would rather sit in Lauderdale.  Unfortunately the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show build-out starts next week.  Basically every yacht in Fort Lauderdale has to leave and everything within 100 nm appears to be booked.  The only option would be to run to the Bahamas, but we're not at all staged for that.  We should be in Sanibel Island by Sunday but may very well push up the river and get behind a lock by Tuesday or so and hunker down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "funny" thing is that they have had our lakes drawn down for over a year. We never knew why. But they finally closed
the spill ways and the lakes have come up 4 feet in a month. Over 2 feet in the last week and a half. They will need to dump
it if a storm hits. Some can be stored in the Kissimmee river and some in Lake O, but much will be dumped in the Chattahoochee river
and Stuart canal. So keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone

Panic

Tropical storm in bound!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
A-n-n-nd there go gas prices.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
we need the rain here in the Upstate of SC
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everyone

Panic

Tropical storm in bound!!!
View Quote

No panic.

Prudently looking at options based on current information.
Re-evaluate every day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh please...wake me when it's a cat 2+......
These people freak out now over a weak tropical storm. Turn the supermarket upside down & cause gas lines....

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
People I know In the panhandle are getting worried
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have reservations for a week stay in PCB starting on the 8th so I'll be paying attention.  A few years ago I didn't and ended up checking in 2 days before PC got hit really hard.  I know this one will have already passed by then if it even hits but I'll be a little more ready to make changes beforehand this time if needed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh man, time to panic!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Tropical Depression 9 forms in the Atlantic; Florida in projected path of possible hurricane

Also I like this guy's channel... He seems to be a weather man for some news channel somewhere but I don't know where.  All the times he says are Eastern time zone.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrWeatherman/videos

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oof. Refreshing exteriors?
View Quote

Yessir

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I am getting ready for lootie
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The "funny" thing is that they have had our lakes drawn down for over a year. We never knew why. But they finally closed
the spill ways and the lakes have come up 4 feet in a month. Over 2 feet in the last week and a half. They will need to dump
it if a storm hits. Some can be stored in the Kissimmee river and some in Lake O, but much will be dumped in the Chattahoochee river
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a place to stay past Monday, but after looking at the forecast I cancelled my trip through the Keys tomorrow.  We'll sit in Lauderdale and roll the dice.  To your point Lake O has been unnavigable for us this year due to shallow depths, which is a shame.  The silver lining of the storm is that we'll probably be able to cross Lake O after the storm.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't have a place to stay past Monday, but after looking at the forecast I cancelled my trip through the Keys tomorrow.  We'll sit in Lauderdale and roll the dice.  To your point Lake O has been unnavigable for us this year due to shallow depths, which is a shame.  The silver lining of the storm is that we'll probably be able to cross Lake O after the storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lock at SR60 is dumping something like 35k gallons a minute right now. That should help Lake O to gain depth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#27]
In before landfall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Guessing democrats are hoping for a Cat 5 Florida hit with lots of casualties so they can accuse DeSantis of playing politics with illegals instead of taking care of his citizens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]
This is the time of year to get worried about a spaghetti plot like that. People forgot all year about storms, and won't take the plots seriously until 72 hours before landfall. And that's when it all turns into a giant shitshow.

The West Coast hasn't had a real strike in ages. When it happens the damage is going to be catastrophic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Whatever, let it rip
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Normal shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#33]
This will be my first hurricane in many years.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Stock up on gas and make sure you have a window AC unit and a Generator. Then stock up the liquor cabinet and throw a hurricane party.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#36]

I don’t like the way those are tightening up
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Stock up on gas and make sure you have a window AC unit and a Generator. Then stock up the liquor cabinet and throw a hurricane party.
View Quote

Window unit is all I’m missing, I’ll grab one if it goes this way
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#39]
954MB equates to roughly what CAT storm?

ETA: Googlefoo says Cat 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#40]
From a weather service:

Key Points
1. While development has not yet occurred, we still expect Disturbance 35 to become a tropical storm and a hurricane.
2. The system will likely enter the southeastern Gulf of Mexico by the middle part of next week.

Our Forecast
Disturbance 35 has changed little in organization over the past few hours and remains disorganized. Wind shear will likely prevent any significant strengthening from occurring over the next few days. That said, we still fully expect this will intensify over the central and western Caribbean where conditions are expected to become more favorable for development. Our forecast is for the disturbance to become a depression late tomorrow and a tropical storm on Saturday. Once it reaches the northwest Caribbean in 5 days, we think the system will become a hurricane. There is the potential for this to become a strong hurricane a week from now.

The forecast track has once again been shifted slightly westward from the previous advisory, mainly due to the system currently moving a bit faster than previously expected. A track to the west-northwest is forecast through the weekend, with a turn more towards the north likely occurring next week. While the forecast is for the system to pass between Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula, we cannot rule out a direct hit on either land mass. Beyond 7 days, it appears that Florida has the highest risk of seeing a landfalling hurricane.

There are no indications at this time that there will be a threat of direct impacts to the northwest Gulf of Mexico or the northwest Gulf Coast.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Only one major hurricane this season.  Media must beat the global warming drum by predicting record storms.  Hurricane center's prediction was for a very active year due to man.  Got to pump those numbers up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Window unit is all I’m missing, I’ll grab one if it goes this way
View Quote

Search FB market place. I got a really nice portable unit for like $100 or something close to it like two years ago. Use it to cool the garage down in the am during the summer before I workout. My generator runs both propane and gas. Depending on how it looks next week, I’ll make sure both propane tanks and the gas can are topped off. Have those anti shatter impact hurricane windows and a hurricane cover for the front door so no boarding needed. Back door is protected by enclosed block wall patio.

Having grown up in Fl, this storm is way down on my priority list right now. Meteorologists are just guessing at this point and it’s been like 100 years since Tampa  had a direct hit from a hurricane. Worst I’ve experienced was a week without power from Irma but that’s mainly because of the old power lines that have oak trees growing through and around them in south Tampa. Most people on the county I know  had power back within 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The lock at SR60 is dumping something like 35k gallons a minute right now. That should help Lake O to gain depth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, there is a ton of water to dump just north of there. Many people's docks are underwater at the moment in the local chain here.

Keeping an eye on this the next day or two. WIll head out at 11pm-midnight one night and fill up gas cans if need be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Key Points
1. Development into a tropical storm will likely occur over the weekend.
2. The system will likely enter the southeastern Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday.
3. There is considerable uncertainty concerning the track next Wednesday and Thursday.

Our Forecast
Disturbance 35 remains poorly-organized this morning, as was expected. Wind shear coming from Fiona's outflow to the north will likely hamper any development until Saturday. By Sunday, the center will be moving into the northwest Caribbean, where conditions will be quite favorable for steady strengthening to a hurricane, perhaps a strong hurricane.
There is certainly poor model agreement on where this potential hurricane will track once it reaches the southern Gulf on Tuesday. We think that there will be strong westerly winds aloft across the northern Gulf of Mexico by then. Some models are handling the predicted pattern better than others. In our experience, when a hurricane encounters increasing upper-level winds from the west, in this case, the squalls will begin being displaced to the east of the track, and the center will follow those squalls. That's what we are forecasting for Wednesday and Thursday, and that's why we think that a landfall in Florida is most likely.

We have adjusted the days 6 and 7 points farther east, but not as far east as it could track. Until this disturbance becomes better organized this weekend, there will be a great deal of uncertainty in the track on Wednesday and Thursday of next week. Do not consider the final track point an absolute. That's going to change over the next several days.

As for those operating offshore south of Louisiana, in a worst case of the storm tracking farther west, you will have all day Tuesday for any evacuations. Wednesday is questionable, because if the storm moves a little faster and tracks west of our forecast, squalls could reach the deepwater areas offshore southeast Louisiana Wednesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Just sold my house in St Pete to move north.

Perfect timing. Hopefully that shithole will get leveled and all the yankee libs will never come back - then I can.

That is probably the worst area for a strong hurricane to hit. Get some legit storm surge in the bay coupled with high winds in all those older houses and power lines interlaced between diseased and dying oak trees - oof.

But it won’t hit there. It never does.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#46]
If it manages to get through the Yucatan Strait without land fall, it should be a decently strong storm.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Well,  gennys are oiled and tested,  and filling the propane now before a scare.  Joy o joy...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good, there is a ton of water to dump just north of there. Many people's docks are underwater at the moment in the local chain here.

Keeping an eye on this the next day or two. WIll head out at 11pm-midnight one night and fill up gas cans if need be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just Kissimmee, Cypress and Hatchineha together are 44k acres. That is like 14 billion gallons in just one foot of it. That is a lot
of water. I never realized that until I ran the numbers. Now think about the other lakes, swamps and creeks that feed those
lakes. Mind boggling.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Subscribed. Gulf Coaster here. Currently at my place in the Redneck Riviera, Perdido Key near NAS Pensacola. So as of now, it will either hit here or at home on the Louisiana Gulf Coast. Screwed either way.
A couple of decent sites.
Track the Tropics
Mikes Weather Page  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This will be my first hurricane in many years.
View Quote

Did you move or on vacation?
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top