BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While a neat idea in a pinch, zip-ties are definitely more expensive than trimmer line.
View Quote
what do you want to bet he's an electrician or something and has a work truck full of them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My Mom used to reuse ricotta containers to freeze spaghetti sauce.

She'd make a cauldron of sauce with meatballs, sausage and a pork shoulder. Slow simmer on the stove all day. Then she'd line up 20 or so containers on the kitchen counter and fill them with meat and sauce. They'd get labeled with the contents on a strip of masking tape and get put in the freezer.

Some of those containers were over 20 years old. They only got retired when the lids cracked beyond repair. I still have a few!
View Quote

'Porous petrochemicals'.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA: Deleted so I can save the info for Adam Corolla lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Adam Carolla has a show segment where you share stories about something you witnessed as being incredibly cheap. In his favorite example was a guy he knows replaced a car's rusted out floorboard with a highway sign.

The cheapest thing I recall ever witnessing was a buddy of mine's grandpa would dry out his used dip on the fireplace mantle and then roll it up into smokes.

Got any tightwad stories?
View Quote

I might be one degree of separation from this guy because I know a guy who replaced a rusted out floorboard with a street sign.  It was a 70s Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I know a guy that when he had to travel and rent a car, before returning it would take out the jack, put it under the fuel tank and jack it up. He swore the dented in fuel tank held a gallon or so less.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If I go to sonic or wherever and they give me packets of salt, I empty them into my salt shaker.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I fixed my old chevy cobalt exhaust with a soup can and pipe clamps
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lots of familiar behavior in this thread LOL.

I've done:
the Shoe-Goo thing
the saved take out containers thing
reusing ziplock bags unless they had meat or wet stuff in them.
tied up my tomato plants using old pantyhose sections (works really well - soft and stretchy, doesn't hurt the plants).

I also once used an old bottle opener as a washer on a hose clamp but that was because I lost the washer under the car in the dark.

Hubby saves soap fragments which makes me insane, honestly.

We have no aversion to spending money when it makes sense to, but if we can fix what we've got or find a workaround we just do that.
View Quote

I save old white undershirts. All the hems/collars get cut off for various things, but the best use is tieing up vegetables. Most of the fabric is cut into gun cloths.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a buddy that reuses the paper towels he dries his hands with

He also refuses to use air conditioning in his house...I don't stop over his place in the summer months really
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Doing one hit bowls actually puts a lot of unburned weed into the water. It's not the water soluble thc, it's ingesting raw weed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be getting high, but it being from weed doing this.

Looked it up:

Will Bong Water Get Me High?

The short answer is ‘no.’ The notion that you can get stoned from drinking dirty bong water is ridiculous, and the process of doing so is idiotic. The main thing to know is that THC is almost entirely insoluble in water. Its solubility is no more than two micrograms per milliliter of water.

For argument’s sake, let’s imagine that it takes 5mg of THC to achieve a psychoactive effect. There are 1,000 micrograms per mg. Therefore, you would need 5,000 micrograms of THC to get high. Using the two micrograms per ml calculation, it means you would need to drink 2,500ml, or 2.5 liters, of bong water to achieve the desired effect.
Moar

Doing one hit bowls actually puts a lot of unburned weed into the water. It's not the water soluble thc, it's ingesting raw weed.

You can’t get high from ingesting raw weed either
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Tiki replacement…. Also use those to throw away hot used grease…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My mother in law dish washes sour cream containers instead of getting Tupperware
View Quote

My ex-wife used to do this. But then she would spend $100 at the bar on drinks 4 times per week. I guess it balances out in her mind. Such a relief to be out of that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My grandmother raised two daughters during the depression. The lessons learned were never lost. She did a lot of the behaviours mentioned in the thread. When we moved her out of her house, days were spent dealing with “provisions.” Hundreds if not thousands of jars, drawers full of washed aluminium foil, rubber bands and paper goods. In the end it was hard to calculate if she threw virtually anything away. The most memorable and most fitting for this thread is a box I found on her back porch in her tool room. There I found a box labelled, “string too short to use.” It was filled with over 60 years worth of small bits and pieces of twine and string, most under two inches long. Those must’ve  been rough years to live in.
View Quote

Don’t forget that during WW2 many “everyday” products and materials weren’t readily available due to the war effort. I’m sure that contributed to such habits as well as the Great Depression

ETA. No freeloading:

I make bacon a couple of time a week and have a dedicated small baking sheet I line with paper towels to absorb the extra grease and don’t toss them out right away because I do most of my cooking with cast irons and I use those paper towels to wipe down the pots and pans after using them. Not necessarily doing it to be cheap, it’s just expedient and effective
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Washing aluminum foil, ziplock bags, Styrofoam to go containers to be reused
View Quote
When I was a young broke bachelor, I turned my ziplock bags inside out and washed them.  Also washed my foam earplugs I used while riding my motorcycles.  Could only wash them a couple of times, though.  They eventually lost a lot of their resiliency.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in the 80's I had truck that was almost totaled when some lady ran a red light and hit me. While my truck was in the shop I needed something to drive so I bought a 65 AMC rambler for $300. The passenger side floor board was rotted out and had one of those bread rack trays on it. It kept passengers get inside, but it didn't keep the passenger from getting wet if I drove through a puddle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I used to laugh at my ultra-cheap grandfather for this, but I'm sure there are some blue shop towels drying in my garage at this very moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife does this, along with drying out and reusing paper towels that were only used to wipe water from the counter. She grew up poor.

I used to laugh at my ultra-cheap grandfather for this, but I'm sure there are some blue shop towels drying in my garage at this very moment.

My grandfather did this too. Always had paper towels hanging all over his kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
another tip is when filling my car I manually turn off the pump by pressing the lever where the pump would re-mount to by hand, then give the nozzle one last squeeze when the pump is off to gain 1 oz of extra gas

Grocery store receipts if blank on one side get cut up into cheap post it notes with out the glue part

Computer print outs I don't need any more get flipped over and reused as scratch pad paper or used to print something again single sheet fed for another print out

I refill empty bottled water bottles with water from the filtered water dispenser of the fridge

Old cotton t shirts get cut up into cleaning patches or shop rags
View Quote

If you cut the top off a ream of paper, you get a bonus sheet.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Around the time I joined this forum I was working at an autoparts store. They made quitters turn in their company shirts so they could dole them out to the next poor sap that worked there. Every fucking shirt I ever got from them was full of battery acid holes around the belly area from previous employees carrying car batteries. Cheapest fucking place I ever worked for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you cut the top off a ream of paper, you get a bonus sheet.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548369/6E1A96FF-1494-4F1D-9C14-6E5E84655E17_jpe-2525945.JPG
View Quote
I've been buying the cellophane wrapped paper

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I fixed my old chevy cobalt exhaust with a soup can and pipe clamps
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266982/20190208_104125-897231.jpg
View Quote

I’d say the hole in your exhaust is the least of your worries. Travel salted roads much?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know a guy that when he had to travel and rent a car, before returning it would take out the jack, put it under the fuel tank and jack it up. He swore the dented in fuel tank held a gallon or so less.
View Quote

That’s not thrift. That’s destruction of property with intent to defraud.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
My old man needed 100 washers for a project. He was pissed that "Lowells" (he lives in an alternate universe where many things have different names - Lowe's and Lowell's is just one example) wanted $.03 ea for washers.

So he drilled holes in 100 pennies to make his washers.

Drilled holes in in 100 pennies to save $2.

Thing is its less about the money and more about 'showing them they weren't going to rip HIM off'. I'm sure Lowells is really feeling the hurt not making that one $3 sale and reconsidering their washer pricing philosophy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My old man needed 100 washers for a project. He was pissed that "Lowells" (he lives in an alternate universe where many things have different names - Lowe's and Lowell's is just one example) wanted $.03 ea for washers.

So he drilled holes in 100 pennies to make his washers.

Drilled holes in in 100 pennies to save $2.

Thing is its less about the money and more about 'showing them they weren't going to rip HIM off'. I'm sure Lowells is really feeling the hurt not making that one $3 sale and reconsidering their washer pricing philosophy.
View Quote

I’ve never drilled them to make washers, but I am very guilty of using coins as shims for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

To this day, my 76 year old father in law microwaves the last few drops that (according to him) cling onto the sides of his Jim Beam bottles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That reminds me of one.

A guy I knew swore that if you had an empty whiskey bottle and you heated it carefully a certain way you could leech enough whiskey out of the pores in the bottle glass that you could  usually squeeze one more shot glass worth out of that empty bottle.  He said he used to do that as a magic trick at parties.  I never tried it, so I don't know if it's bullshit or not.

To this day, my 76 year old father in law microwaves the last few drops that (according to him) cling onto the sides of his Jim Beam bottles.

Quoted:
I took my $50 Chevy beretta from MI to FL. I paid $50 for that car.  That should give you an idea how it looked.  

Anyways. I’m shooting down 75 when a landscape truck dumps a rake onto the road.  It shoots up near my legs and pierces the rusty floor.  It’s sticking out about 2 feet through the floor.  I stop and bust it loose.

I’m left with a 4x8 hole where the heel of my right foot rests.  With no cruise control I am not going to enjoy that ride.
I took a bunch of tools with me in case I had mechanical issues.  

I ended up taking my license plate off and screwing it to the floor.  

It worked wonderfully.

I got stopped in TN, GA, and Florida for no plate.

The GA state cop laughed his ass off.  

I still have the rake.
When I got home I made a proper patch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I made an old smoker “dual purpose” by adding a propane burner to it. This was long before manufacturers started making hybrid units.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Stayed in a VRBO that cost around 500/night.  There was a local festival that was pretty loud at night, so the owner gave us some earplugs. "Give them back when you're done, and I'll boil them for the next person". WTF? They cost like $3 for a dozen...
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Genius.

Time to go to Harbor Freight
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can’t get high from ingesting raw weed either
View Quote

Well, if it's in the bong water, it's already been decarboxylated, and thus THC (vs. THA (THC Acid, AKA raw weed, which won't provide any high)). Of course it's not water soluble, but I suppose it "might" supply a mild high. Nasty, in any case.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I've heard people will actually drive across town to save $0.03 a gallon on gas. Shit blows my mind.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I dip

Thats fucking disgusting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Adam Carolla has a show segment where you share stories about something you witnessed as being incredibly cheap. In his favorite example was a guy he know replaced a car's rusted out floorboard with a highway sign.

The cheapest thing I recall ever witnessing was a buddy my mine's grandpa would dry out his used dip on the fireplace mantle and then roll it up into smokes.

Got any tightwad stories?

I dip

Thats fucking disgusting
Inmates do that from staff who don't police their spit bottles .
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder if they run the spit bottle through a coffee filter or something like that?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Worked with a nerd who only showered at work.    And gave his vacation days away so he didn't spend money at home for electricity and heat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wonder if they run the spit bottle through a coffee filter or something like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they set it out on paper towels or sandwich the tobacco between paper towels and let it air dry. They use to speed it up in the microwaves but we don't have those on the units anymore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Friends dad would drink all the leftover soda in the same glass. Coke, Sprite, Big Red, Ginger Ale, all in one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Zip ties are temporarily holding up my dining room chandelier/light…..for the last five years.  The Chinesium chain had broken in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Friends dad would drink all the leftover soda in the same glass. Coke, Sprite, Big Red, Ginger Ale, all in one.
View Quote

We called those suicide sodas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Co-worker admitted to waiting till he got to work to shit (of course AFTER he punched in) for the free water/TP.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Went fishing with a guy I went to high school with. Pulling the boat he stops to get gas and goes in gets a drink. 5 minutes later he pulls over and says "candy bars here at a nickle cheaper"
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Co-worker admitted to waiting till he got to work to shit (of course AFTER he punched in) for the free water/TP.
View Quote
Isn't that normal?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a buddy who didn't want to pay the extra 20c for cheese on his burger so he got a regular burger and put nacho cheese from the salad bar on top.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Smoking used chew is LOL. Wow.

Not sure if mine would qualify as cheap, smart or whatever but....

Had a Nissan Sentra I bought as a road warrior 'drive into the city' car due to it getting really good gas mileage and me not wanting to give a shit about all the stuff that happens on the highway or in the city on the route to work. I also noticed that when I would begin to merge into you with this thing, 95% of people would stop and let me cut in as opposed to literally no one letting me in with my BMW because they knew I didn'
t want to fuck it up.

Anyways....was at a stop and got rear ended by this 110lb chick in a lifted F250 that couldn't see me over the hood. Nothing major, but it fucked up the rear bumper, pushed in the trunk slightly and the bumper cover was torn off in multiple places. She freaks out about insurance and how she just had an accident (surprise there) and she wants to have my car fixed and she'd pay me cash for it. We exchange info, take some pics and within a few days I have an estimate and all. She meets up and brings literally cash for the estimate - was like $1700 or something around there.

I go home, buy a $3 can of black spraypaint (car was black) and spray the entire bare bumper and any area where there was damage and call it good. Drove it like that for another year until the engine blew up.
View Quote

You're not cheap, necessarily.  That's just smart.  ??
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Had a buddy who didn't want to pay the extra 20c for cheese on his burger so he got a regular burger and put nacho cheese from the salad bar on top.
View Quote

I admit that I did the same whenever I went to Fuddruckers.  Why pay for cheese when they have it at the condiment bar?  Besides, I really liked the jalapeno cheese.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Smoking used chew is LOL. Wow.

Not sure if mine would qualify as cheap, smart or whatever but....

Had a Nissan Sentra I bought as a road warrior 'drive into the city' car due to it getting really good gas mileage and me not wanting to give a shit about all the stuff that happens on the highway or in the city on the route to work. I also noticed that when I would begin to merge into you with this thing, 95% of people would stop and let me cut in as opposed to literally no one letting me in with my BMW because they knew I didn'
t want to fuck it up.

Anyways....was at a stop and got rear ended by this 110lb chick in a lifted F250 that couldn't see me over the hood. Nothing major, but it fucked up the rear bumper, pushed in the trunk slightly and the bumper cover was torn off in multiple places. She freaks out about insurance and how she just had an accident (surprise there) and she wants to have my car fixed and she'd pay me cash for it. We exchange info, take some pics and within a few days I have an estimate and all. She meets up and brings literally cash for the estimate - was like $1700 or something around there.

I go home, buy a $3 can of black spraypaint (car was black) and spray the entire bare bumper and any area where there was damage and call it good. Drove it like that for another year until the engine blew up.
View Quote
Not cheap if smart.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't sweat at work.
Don't poop at home.

That's what I always heard.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I work with a guy that doesn't pay for trash pick up. He burns everything.

Except diapers. Because he can't get them to burn. So he drops them off at the gas pump trash can when he gets gas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I work with a guy that doesn't pay for trash pick up. He burns everything.

Except diapers. Because he can't get them to burn. So he drops them off at the gas pump trash can when he gets gas.
View Quote

Better than throwing them in the parking lot.  Animal trash garbage people.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't sweat at work.
Don't poop at home.

That's what I always heard.
View Quote

Make $30.00/hr
go at work 15 minutes everyday (leaving desk, the task, to washing hands back to desk)
260 days/year.
$7.50 per shit not including TP/Water/Septic.  
that is $1,950/year to shit at work
over 30 years that is $58,500
so you essentially work 29 years instead.  
That doesn't include days you go twice, holidays, raises, overtime etc...

Yes I did the math while on the john at work
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I remember my mom selling my brother and I's used tighty whities at a yard sale back in the day. I was like, "who the heck is going to buy that shit?"  Well, about 10 minutes later, they all were sold
View Quote
I don't often actually laugh out loud, but that one got me.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top