Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
One,   two,   three.   Three.

(according to Mr. Owl)
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know why you'd want to shoot a bear @ 100yds.  What'd he do to you?  Just leave them alone & they'll do the same.  You only really need to worry if you're walking quietly & round the corner & scare them (or if she has cubs)  They will do everything they can to make sure they're not there when you are.  Just use common outdoor sense!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't know why you'd want to shoot a bear @ 100yds.  What'd he do to you?  Just leave them alone & they'll do the same.  You only really need to worry if you're walking quietly & round the corner & scare them (or if she has cubs)  They will do everything they can to make sure they're not there when you are.  Just use common outdoor sense!
View Quote

Hey, Anchorage here...  Did you see that one guy say "we're not dealing with a Rhino here?"  They just don't understand how big they get up here do they?  Anyway, you're right, they don't pay much attention to you.  But I wouldn't want to go heads up with ol' Griz with just a .223!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:11:55 AM EDT
[#5]
How many shots? If he's charging shoot him until he or you are dead, whatever comes first. As has been posted by some of the others previously odds are you'll not get but a few shots.
If you're intrested in stopping charging game you may want to read some books by Peter Hathaway Capstick or John Taylor. These guys were professional hunters in Africa during the Safari haydays and have faced charges from all sorts of dangerous game. They will also tell you shot placement is key. I think it was Capstick who favored using soilds to break the shoulder of charging Cape Buffalo because he felt it was the most sure way. The most intresting (I think) was W.D.M. Bell. In his lifetime he reportedly took over 2000 elephants, most of them with a 7mm Mauser. These 3 guys knew how to stop charges, thier theroy was to remain calm and continue putting the lead in the right spot and hope every thing works out in your favor.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you shoot the bear in the eye you would probably kill it with any gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
personally i think it matters mostly where you shoot it, a round of .223 or higher in the center of the chest or in the head would drop a bear pretty darn quick,

[url]http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/military_bullet_wound_patterns.html[/url]

take a look see and i think you will get what im sayin
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
hmmmmm. 9mm? one shot, put it in your mouth and pull.

on a similar note, in alaska their is a air force base, and the guards, when on watch, they carry the standard m16a2. however, they replace their beratta with a 44 mag revolver. they say when stopping bears(polar i think) the m16 dosent come close the the 44.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
personally i think it matters mostly where you shoot it, a round of .223 or higher in the center of the chest or in the head would drop a bear pretty darn quick,

[url]http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/military_bullet_wound_patterns.html[/url]

take a look see and i think you will get what im sayin
View Quote

I think all of us "Experts", with all of our experience with bears, should just listen to what the good folks in Alaska are saying, and take it for the truth.  Most of us don't deal with grizzly very often, or at best, have only seen one on T.V.  
guns762
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Watched some bear documentary show that said that bear spray is only 80% effective in stopping grizzly attacks.  The show talked about the other 20% in bloody detail(grizzly man).  Man I sure wouldn't shoot at a grizzly with anything less then a 338 win mag.  155mm artey would be even better.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#12]
HCI says that if you just give him your wallet or purse and tell him you don't want trouble that he will let you be.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have done some hiking in Montana in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.  I usually borrow a .44 from my cousin when I am there.  I have wondered if I could stop a charging bear or for that matter even hit one with only 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]
.223, .45, 9mm Yeah OK!! Smoke some more crack while your at it.

STOP BEAR = .454 Casull and Marlin .450
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Crime Scene: Dead man on a lawnchair in his backyard.  Blood Trail from his house to his body.  .25 ACP pistol on floor in house.  At first they thought it could be a homicide.  It was a suicide attempt.  Bullet ruptured the skull, but did no damage at all to the brain.  The coroner/examiner said he shot himself in the head, he realized his demise to be painful, so he walked slowly outside, watched the sun go down as his skull drained all brain fluid & blood.  coroner/examiner determined it took about 10-15 minutes of excruciating pain to die.  I wouldn't recommend it.
View Quote

Reminds me of a skull x-ray I was shown once. Flattened out .25 acp hollowpoint on the back of the skull with no penetration to cranium. Large hole in right temple. .25 hollowpoint in center of brain. Story goes that Gangbanger A was going to execute Gangbanger B. B was on his knees, A was behind him and places muzzle in contact with back of skull and pulls trigger, .25 goes BANG. Gangbanger B says, "Ow, that fucking hurt!" Gangbanger A moves gun to B's right temple and tries again. Gangbanger B never uttered another word.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
HCI says that if you just give him your wallet or purse and tell him you don't want trouble that he will let you be.
View Quote

I think this IS the best answer....

I think I would agree you MAY not penetrate the skull..and a chest shot would be a slow (pissed off) agonizing death.

I would have to go for the brain/spine disconect shots (Mid Neck center/center). I wouldnt care if he lived or died, I just dont want his ass chasing ME. I know if he is running this shot will be DAMN NEAR impossible, but I *think* ONE GREAT shot is mucho better than a hundred wasted ones... (See Army doctorine F/A vs 3 rd bursts)

Blacks are hunted back in West Virginia, (Black bears, dont get excited McUzi) and exceptional shots are just as good as massive firepower. Even a griz is NOT indestructable.

I would PREFER my FN...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top