BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fucking LOVE down fridays like today. Awesome!
View Quote

To be fair you buy every friday up or down, PE 5000 or N/A , over or under kelly criterion, technical/ratio/fundamental analysis be damned.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bernanke is on record saying ZIRP and QE had about a 10 to 15 year lifespan before bad consequences followed. Guess where we are?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

markets gonna succcc until J Pow gets his head out his ass.

Just look at all the articles written, he is using tools that are designed for the long term demand manipulation to try and fix short term temporary supply issues.

Jerome Powell is currently trying to cut the economy's hair but instead of shears he is using chemo therapy.

Don’t have to worry about supply when there is no demand.

That's my whole point, sometimes I wish we had Bernanke back or even Yellen. Fucking J pow must have a little altar of Paul Volker at his house.

the current rate as it stands today is fine. The metrics that the Feds uses to make decisions is bad and their models are really bad.

Bernanke is on record saying ZIRP and QE had about a 10 to 15 year lifespan before bad consequences followed. Guess where we are?

You monster. Why do you want the decades of cheap money to end?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a fucking bloodbath
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's my whole point, sometimes I wish we had Bernanke back or even Yellen. Fucking J pow must have a little altar of Paul Volker at his house.

the current rate as it stands today is fine. The metrics that the Feds uses to make decisions is bad and their models are really bad.

View Quote

Some people don't think central planning be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a fucking bloodbath
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy cow! It looks like the running of the bulls today. They are running out of the market. VOO (Sp500) is now performing worse than AGG (bonds fund) over the last 12 months. It's like watching a retirements burning in real time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Sad to see, all I can hope at this point is that it's recovered before I retire.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To be fair you buy every friday up or down, PE 5000 or N/A , over or under kelly criterion, technical/ratio/fundamental analysis be damned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really true. I don’t pick what individual stocks get bought.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spidey is happy buying all the way to the bottom, then he will probably be giddy through the first 2 quarters of 2023.

Honestly it’s just numbers until you have to sell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Wonder if we can get the Dow below 20k before New Years?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Spidey, did you already buy? It looks like it just got a whole lot cheaper. I'm just staring in disbelief, wondering how low it can go today.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Spidey, did you already buy? It looks like it just got a whole lot cheaper. I'm just staring in disbelief, wondering how low it can go today.
View Quote

What? Lol. Disbelief? This is normal and expected behavior.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m thinking 25k. Hopefully near end of December. No Santa Claus rally. I will be ready to shovel in some more cash at that time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really think some people think the market will stay strong.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sad to see, all I can hope at this point is that it's recovered before I retire.

https://news.bitcoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ezgif-2-478d839edcbe.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I really think some people think the market will stay strong.
View Quote

Not all lessons are free.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Guys, it’s time to start talking about our Buy In points.  

Those of us who preserved some of their Covid gains, when are you going to Buy Back Better?    

Like Spidey, I’ve learned some lessons over the last 3 collapses, although they are different, almost opposite lessons.  

1. It’s not that hard to get out near the top, well ahead of the carnage.  
2. It’s hard as hell, to make yourself to buy back in when everyone else had devastating losses, and the market is still in free fall.   -Yet, that’s exactly when you need to buy.   You’ll never be able to call the bottom in the heat of the moment.    “Buy when there’s Blood in the Streets!”
Yeah, OK, great advice, but that’s hard to do when the bodies are still splatting all around you.
3.  I look at Macro trends to know when to walk away.  We had a good thread December of ‘19.  I argued that it would be prudent to jump out at ~28,800 (this took no special prognostication- we were watching the John Hopkins Pandemic website and I was wondering Why the Market hadn’t already reacted- Wuhan was already locked down along with several other areas.-Covid was already spreading into Europe-Exponentially.  There was no way it wasn’t going to cause a contraction. By March 16th it was 19,173 -That was the time to Buy back in, but it’s difficult to discern in the moment.  Luckily, I had Pre-decided on 22,000, or I would have missed that brutally V shaped recovery.    
Anyway, this time we had an even clearer bug out signal: The FED literally said they were going to prick the bubble.  

4. I’m in total agreement that we Have to be in the Market, to keep from being destroyed by inflation.   For those of us who can’t do slumlording, or grow our own business, the Market offers us a chance to get rich off the ideas and efforts of others.  

5. As Spidey says, there are some fantastic deals to be had, and even better deals to be had in the near future.  

So-  When is your Buy in Point, and What are you looking to buy?  
Just as a WAG, S&P500 was at 3300    and the Dow was 29,000 post Trump runup, but pre Covid blowoff   I need to think on it a bit more, but that might be a good conservative spot to go back in. Basically conserve 20% of your assets, without much risk.   Even though there’s a lot more money sloshing around out there, I think we could see 26,000 in capitulation.  That might be a good All In point.  
AAPL at 125 would be a hell of a deal, if we get there.  
Just a few thoughts.  I wanted to put them down “on paper”, for myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Luckily, I had Pre-decided on 22,000
View Quote

Very lucky.  You could have just as easily set it lower and absolutely missed out - losing bigtime in the process.  When timing the market - you have to get it right TWICE.... and the fact is - most people do not, and it costs them, dearly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't be easily convinced to get back in before I saw signs of the fed leveling off the rate increases.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Those of us who preserved some of their Covid gains, when are you going to Buy Back Better?    

Like Spidey, I’ve learned some lessons over the last 3 collapses, although they are different, almost opposite lessons.  

2. It’s hard as hell, to make yourself to buy back in when you’re looking at devastating losses, and the market is still in free fall.   -Yet, that’s exactly when you need to buy.   You’ll never be able to call the bottom in the heat of the moment.    “Buy when there’s Blood in the Streets!”
Yeah, OK, great advice, but that’s hard to do when the bodies are still splatting all around you.
3.  I look at Macro trends to know when to walk away.  We had a good thread December of ‘19.  I argued that it would be prudent to jump out at ~28,800 (this took no special prognostication- we were watching the John Hopkins Pandemic website and I was wondering Why the Market hadn’t already reacted- Wuhan was already locked down along with several other areas.-Covid was already spreading into Europe-Exponentially.  There was no way it wasn’t going to cause a contraction. By March 16th it was 19,173 -That was the time to Buy back in, but it’s difficult to discern in the moment.  Luckily, I had Pre-decided on 22,000, or I would have missed that brutally V shaped recovery.    
Anyway, this time we had an even clearer bug out signal: The FED literally said they were going to prick the bubble.  

4. I’m in total agreement that we Have to be in the Market, to keep from being destroyed by inflation.   For those of us who can’t do slumlording, or grow our own business, the Market offers us a chance to get rich off the ideas and efforts of others.  

5. As Spidey says, there are some fantastic deals to be had, and even better deals to be had in the near future.  

Just as a WAG, S&P500 was at 3300    and the Dow was 29,000 post Trump runup, but pre Covid blowoff   I need to think on it a bit more, but that might be a good conservative spot to go back in. Basically conserve 20% of your assets, without much risk.   Even though there’s a lot more money sloshing around out there, I think we could see 26,000 in capitulation.  That might be a good All In point.  
View Quote

How did you come up with $125 on Apple?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Very lucky.  You could have just as easily set it lower and absolutely missed out - losing bigtime in the process.  When timing the market - you have to get it right TWICE.... and the fact is - most people do not, and it costs them, dearly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luckily, I had Pre-decided on 22,000

Too true.  I fully recognize that Buying back in, is Exponentially harder than bugging out.  

That’s the point of my post.   Those of us who Hate giving up our hard earned money, need to have a plan, and we need to have the discipline to stick with it.   In that sense, it’s no different than simple DCA’ing, except you sit out the big contractions.   Too me, it’s no different from deviating around thunderstorms.   You’d never think about drilling right through the middle.  It goes against everything you know.  30+ years of accumulated knowledge and instinct; you can’t just plow right in.
That would be the antithesis of rational good judgement.  

I’m of the opinion that the fundamental framework which gave us 36,000, is gone.  (It’s not just my opinion, the FED has literally announced it)

So, two questions remain:  

1. How low can it go without Fed support?   (I think we need to look at fundamentals P/E etc.  I don’t know the number, but it’s shockingly low, Look at the valuations at the bottom of the last 3 crashes, then apply them to today).

2. How low can it go before the FED panics and begins adding support again?  Nobody knows, but we can make some educated guesses.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
SQQQ got me paid again today.  How long until you guys get on board the bear train?
Sqqq
Soxs
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. It’s hard as hell, to make yourself to buy back in when you’re looking at devastating losses, and the market is still in free fall.   -Yet, that’s exactly when you need to buy.   You’ll never be able to call the bottom in the heat of the moment.    “Buy when there’s Blood in the Streets!”

June 16, I bought an additional $30,000 at $130.. Everybody Loves AAPL and they always hold up better than the market.  I was trying to picture what total capitulation might look like.    Sorry I don’t have any inside info.  
I love apple, same as everyone.   I didn’t sell at 180 like I should have because they are really the only Growth/Value investment that I truly like.

So, $125 maybe another 30k and so on, then, I wouldn’t feel too bad if it dropped all the way to $70, because they know how to pick people’s pocket, better than any Romano Gypsy.  

I don’t really mind catching the falling Apple knife.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

June 16, I bought an additional $30,000 at $130.. Everybody Loves AAPL and they always hold up better than the market.  I was trying to picture what total capitulation might look like.    Sorry I don’t have any inside info.  
I love apple, same as everyone.   I didn’t sell at 180 like I should have because they are really the only Growth/Value investment that I truly like.

So, $125 maybe another 30k and so on, then, I wouldn’t feel too bad if it dropped all the way to $70, because they know how to pick people’s pocket, better than any Roman Gypsy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, $125 maybe another 30k and so on, then, I wouldn’t feel too bad if it dropped all the way to $70, because they know how to pick people’s pocket, better than any Roman Gypsy.  

It fell into the fifty's in April 2020.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I know.   I watched that split in amazement.  Since that time, the dollar has lost ~30% in value, and Apple has brought in new revenue streams.    I don’t think 125-100 range would be excessive.  
I went to the mall a week ago, every single store was empty, except the apple store, which was Packed.   It’s kinda ridiculous.  
My strategy this time, is just put my bids in, and let it ride.  Takes some of the emotion out of the decision making process.
The important question is: what is the right Valuation?    They are at a trailing P/E of 24.86.   High, but not extraordinarily so.    P/E of 20 would be a deal IMHO
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1. How low can it go without Fed support?   (I think we need to look at fundamentals P/E etc.  I don’t know the number, but it’s shockingly low, Look at the valuations at the bottom of the last 3 crashes, then apply them to today).
View Quote

Every crash is different.  People complain about recency bias, then apply it to other areas.  If it were simple to target, everyone would time the market, and mutual fund managers would easily beat the S&P index (overwhelmingly, most do not).

That said....

The schiller PE ratio is currently 27.65.

It bottomed after 1982 around 7.  
It bottomed after the 2000 crash around 23.
It bottomed after the 2008 crash around 15.

median/mean is around 16/17.

Throw a dart.

If you look at S&P500 PE ratio - it's worse - it is currently 18.66

It bottomed after 1982 around 8.  
It bottomed after the 2000 crash around 17.
It bottomed after the 2008 crash around 14.

median/mean is 15/16.

According to that, buy time is pretty damned close.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Every crash is different.  People complain about recency bias, then apply it to other areas.  If it were simple to target, everyone would time the market, and mutual fund managers would easily beat the S&P index (overwhelmingly, most do not).

That said....

Throw a dart.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTKcKz2f/screenshot-62.jpg

median/mean is 15/16.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0BJYyvD/screenshot-63.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said....

Throw a dart.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTKcKz2f/screenshot-62.jpg

median/mean is 15/16.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0BJYyvD/screenshot-63.jpg

Thanks, that’s really good info.  
I’m comfortable buying at 17 and 16.   Not trying to call the bottom, just trying not to overpay.   Looks like ~15-20% further to go.

I do understand, the buy time will be signaled clearly when the FED stops raising rates, but by the time they announce it, it’ll be too late.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Lots of knife catchers waiting in the wings it seems.

The entire summer rally was based on the lie that inflation was peaking and the fed would ease up.  That was a complete lie and an opportunity for wall street to unload more worthless stocks to the retail crowd along with fund managers who have never seen a real bear market.

The market is filled with unicorns and almost all of them are going to go bk, with a select few getting bought for pennies compared to their peak valuations.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:11:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lots of knife catchers waiting in the wings it seems.

The entire summer rally was based on the lie that inflation was peaking and the fed would ease up.  That was a complete lie and an opportunity for wall street to unload more worthless stocks to the retail crowd along with fund managers who have never seen a real bear market.

The market is filled with unicorns and almost all of them are going to go bk, with a select few getting bought for pennies compared to their peak valuations.
View Quote

Lol

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://news.bitcoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ezgif-2-478d839edcbe.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

2. It’s hard as hell, to make yourself to buy back in when everyone else had devastating losses, and the market is still in free fall.   -Yet, that’s exactly when you need to buy.   You’ll never be able to call the bottom in the heat of the moment.    “Buy when there’s Blood in the Streets!”

View Quote

I have found the best time to buy back in is over time.  For instance I probably should start moving some slowly back over but with the recent Fed stuff I am going to wait.  This is my choice but say if you move 1% a month and maybe more as it drops further...eventually you will be adding as the market returns.  1% a month from the original amount you moved would be 100 months or over 8 years, highly unlikely it doesn't get back where we are not unless something really fubar happens.  Buy on really big down days.  If it never returns you EVERYONE will have way more problems than just retirement strategies.

If you have a crystal ball you can time it just right....mine is broke so I will just follow my gut for now.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have found the best time to buy back in is over time.  For instance I probably should start moving some slowly back over but with the recent Fed stuff I am going to wait.  This is my choice but say if you move 1% a month and maybe more as it drops further...eventually you will be adding as the market returns.  1% a month from the original amount you moved would be 100 months or over 8 years, highly unlikely it doesn't get back where we are not unless something really fubar happens.  Buy on really big down days.  If it never returns you EVERYONE will have way more problems than just retirement strategies.

If you have a crystal ball you can time it just right....mine is broke so I will just follow my gut for now.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  That’s what inspired the post.   Making big buys at the end of every big down day, might be a valid strategy.   Mainly, I’m just going to put buy orders in, at my preferred price, and let them ride, without giving it any thought.  They will hit when they hit.   That’s worked well for me in the past.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

New rule:

Below the 5 year average cost.
Dividend above 4.5%
Solid financials and plan within a sector I understand
PE in single digits.

I started buying once the market dropped 20%.

Before that I was buying travel/vacation stocks that got burned in covid. I was doing ok until Dementia-in-Chief trashed our oil supply.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

New rule:

Dividend above 4.5%
PE in single digits.

Before that I was buying travel/vacation stocks that got burned in covid. I was doing ok until Dementia-in-Chief trashed our oil supply.
View Quote

VZ pays 6.6 %
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

New rule:

Dividend above 4.5%
PE in single digits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New rule:

Dividend above 4.5%
PE in single digits.

I like it.  What have you found that fits that criteria?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

VZ pays 6.6 %
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New rule:

Dividend above 4.5%
PE in single digits.

VZ pays 6.6 %

I was just looking at my VZ.   Down bigly.   They have a massive amount of debt.  If they can sustain the Div. It’s a hell of a buy.  If.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was just looking at my VZ.   Down bigly.   They have a massive amount of Debt, don’t they?
View Quote

136 billion
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was just looking at my VZ.   Down bigly.   They have a massive amount of Debt, don’t they?
View Quote

It’s the same with AT&T.

Their debts are killing them.

I would never would have thought twelve years ago that T-mobile would have been the stock to bet on. But they’ve run their business consistently.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It’s the same with AT&T.

I would never would have thought twelve years ago that T-mobile would have been the stock to bet on. But they’ve run their business consistently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s the same with AT&T.

To be honest, T-mobile is such a better value for the consumer.  I get 4 lines for around $100.  That’s a big draw in a down economy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I’m thinking 25k. Hopefully near end of December. No Santa Claus rally. I will be ready to shovel in some more cash at that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pink slips for Christmas?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m regards to T-bills, would it be best to do a 3-month contract and then roll the accrued amount into another 3-month bill to keep adding up? It seems like you could get double digit yearly returns if the rates stay up. Am I overthinking this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m regards to T-bills, would it be best to do a 3-month contract and then roll the accrued amount into another 3-month bill to keep adding up? It seems like you could get double digit yearly returns if the rates stay up. Am I overthinking this?
View Quote

T bills are express in annual rates. So you won’t get 4% for the 13 weeks but the prorated amount.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

T bills are express in annual rates. So you won’t get 4% for the 13 weeks but the prorated amount.
View Quote

The 13 week average is 3.27%. Say the bid goes for 97 cents on the dollar, my tbill will reach its full maturity once it hits the 13 week mark and I can then deposit the full amount back into my account?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Futures look promising.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Weird coming from Hedgeye that took PPP money that they got forgiven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Weird coming from Hedgeye that took PPP money that they got forgiven.

Who cares, I follow closely and am up! Paid for my subscription many times over.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The 13 week average is 3.27%. Say the bid goes for 97 cents on the dollar, my tbill will reach its full maturity once it hits the 13 week mark and I can then deposit the full amount back into my account?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it would cost you 99 cents on the dollar.  It is prorated.  See the 99's in the price column?  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#50]
S&P gonna hit 3400 by end of week. Won’t be surprised if we hit 2600 before we bottom. Stagflation will dominate the next few years. Could be many years before the market makes new highs.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top