Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Florida, PR or the Bahamas
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heard Juarez and Tijuana are pretty nice places.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so I see a lot of folks saying Mexico is trash. What are some other options? Here is what the wife and friends want:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Total trip to cost $3500 or less per couple including airfare
-Swim-up bar
-None of us want to sight see/scuba/snorkel/etc. We just want to sit on a beach/poolside and have drinks served to us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, so I see a lot of folks saying Mexico is trash. What are some other options? Here is what the wife and friends want:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
-None of us want to sight see/scuba/snorkel/etc. We just want to sit on a beach/poolside and have drinks served to us.
View Quote

Problem is cheaper places are usually in poorer countries. Yes, you can rock all that in St Barts, but not for that price. St Maarten is OK, but their resorts are nothing compared to the DR, Mex or Jamaica.

The entire Quantana Roo state in Mexico is tourist driven. They want them dollars. My family is super paranoid and thought they were going to get killed or robbed when I organized the trip. After a couple of days, they said it reminded them of the old Miami and had zero cares. Idiots were driving all over the place without a care :)

DR has some rough spots and so does Jamaica. For DR, tons of different nice resorts. Drove all over Jamaica and my skin made me stick out. There were some rough hoods we were in. ZERO issues on both islands. Look at Couples resorts for a decent experience in Jamaica.

Out of all of them for major big resorts, only concern for drinking was in the DR. A part of our group got sick at a Barcelo.

Look at an adults only one to remove the kid element.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

DR has some rough spots and so does Jamaica. For DR, tons of different nice resorts. Drove all over Jamaica and my skin made me stick out. There were some rough hoods we were in. ZERO issues on both islands. Look at Couples resorts for a decent experience in Jamaica.

Out of all of them for major big resorts, only concern for drinking was in the DR. A part of our group got sick at a Barcelo.

Look at an adults only one to remove the kid element.

View Quote
No one is going to be leaving the resort except to and from the airport. They just want to drink and lay on the beach.

I've been filtering results on every site by "Adults Only"
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
View Quote

Nothing is wrong with Mexico with those qualities, just pick a resort and do it. For drinking on a beach and carefree vacation they’re hard to beat.

Understand that the people saying ‘Fuck Mexico’ is biased due to politics, illegals and cartels. Valid reasons but as someone said, Mx is a tourist machine so you’ll be safe and have a good time.

EDT. Look at Secrets Maroma and Zoetry Pariso
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
View Quote
https://www.amrcollection.com/en/resorts-hotels/secrets/jamaica/wild-orchid-montego-bay/

I went to a wedding here a few years ago.  Top notch.  No need to leave the resort.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All inclusive in Cancun is probably your best and safest option
View Quote
Yep.  It's very easy, nice resorts, good times.   We have been to plenty of places around the world, but Cancun resorts are great for a plain old really lazy week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
View Quote

You can look into Belize.

Ambergris Caye was very nice, but we went for a more active vacation than what you are wanting.  I'm sure there are pools at the resorts though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Dick’s Restaurant is my favorite in Mexico, ME.  Great place with good homemade cream puffs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No one is going to be leaving the resort except to and from the airport. They just want to drink and lay on the beach.

I've been filtering results on every site by "Adults Only"
View Quote

If you don't care about activities, check out Secrets and Dreams. I liked the Royalton options and they have some adult only spots.

Lack of kids makes a difference. Understand clientele too. If they are Euros, you are more likely to run into topless sunbathing. If they are Brits, they will be lobsters by day 2 and they will make you feel tan and good about not being burnt. They could also fall under the topless side in DR, some spots in MX, and Jamaica. It seems the resorts that cater to the English are less social. It is truly weird how they act differently compared to the American clientele resorts too. Smaller resort will be a nicer feel with less crowds and less stupidity for rules and reservations.

If you find one, post about it here. I would bet someone here knows about it.

A lot have sales and you are hitting a busy time with spring break. Aim for the adult ones that don't cater to it and you may find some good deal. Sandals is often over rated but they have some decent places and sales right now. Royal Caribbean is a decent place and has a secluded beach for private time . 2 of the Couples resorts have the same thing.

Check the usual too-
Costco, Expedia, Tripadvisor, honeymooninc, and even look at FB groups. Some of the hotels may have a timeshare aspect and those that own rooms can sell some dates for you reasonably cheap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a beach guy, but if a beach is in the plan I'm a Puerto Vallarta guy, no desire to try another beach. I like it as the gringo to local tourist to local local is just about right. And, it's a nice town to hang out in general.

UV18 just got back a bit ago https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Puerto-Vallarta-Vacation-Tips-Needed/5-2564607/

Edit. And, I see he posted. And, saw your additional criteria and PV isn't really for you.

Just north in Nuevo Vallarta (Nayarit) there used to be some nice all-inclusives, but Caribbean coast probably makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
View Quote

Quit listening to the naysayers because they think the cartels will behead them. Not going to happen in Cabo, Cancun or Playa. There are literally hundreds of thousands of Americans and Europeans there EVERY single day. I could probably name a dozen trips to those spots in the last year between family and friends and no one has had 1 single issue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Mexico is nearly mostly fine if you stay on the resort.  Go to Mexico and have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Do not go to Ensenada if you are a female. A coworkers sister was gang raped by the federal police on the beach one nite. She has mega mental issues about this to this day. Mexico. Is A SHITHOLE AND DANGEROUS AS FUCK.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about Dominican Republic? I see there's quite a few packages priced similar to Mexico...
View Quote

I have a friend that died on vacation in the DR. He stepped in a fountain and was electrocuted due to third world building codes. In fact a few days ago was 4 years since he died. Can't you spend some more money or change some of your wants for your vacation? We just did an Airbnb in Pompano Beach this June. On the intercoastal waterway with a pool. We had a blast.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do not go to Ensenada if you are a female. A coworkers sister was gang raped by the federal police on the beach one nite. She has mega mental issues about this to this day. Mexico. Is A SHITHOLE AND DANGEROUS AS FUCK.
View Quote

I’d rather vacation on a beach in So. Africa and take my chances there.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
View Quote

That sounds lame as hell. Sit there and drink?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Did You Know?
These items cost the USD equivalent in the city of Cancún, Mexico*:
10 Mile Cab Ride: $14.84 USD
Budget Dinner for 2: $9.90 USD
Pint of Beer: $1.99 USD
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve walked around markets in Cancun. One of those markets was fancy sounding. Gucci I think it was. Or was it Fendi…

I driven a golf cart with wonky and dim headlights on on a dirt road in the middle of the night in San Pedro Belize.

I felt safer in both those places than I do in parts of Houston. I grew up and live outside of Houston.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Mexico is TOO DANGEROUS.  If you stay on the border at Tijuana or across from Texas.    

There is a truce between the cartels and Mexican government regarding the tourist areas.  Cartels stay out and avoid and all out war with the Mexican army.

I'd recommend Thailand as exactly what OP is looking for except 2 things.  Cost of the airfare would be probably $2k in economy to get there.  And the time of travel sucks ass big time.  Otherwise it is a perfect getaway for laying on the beach and perfect safety.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#22]
This place pushes more fear than the MSN

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#23]
You serious?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#24]
You won't get to see things like people petting buffalo in Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Cabo, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, Zihuatanejo, the list is pretty long if all you want to do is safely sit on the beach and drink all day.

-do take some sunscreen though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That sounds lame as hell. Sit there and drink?
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ive been to Cabo San Lucas a few times...always fun.
View Quote

This.  My favorite part of Mexico.  Less humid than Cancun or Cozumel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#28]
lol...
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Cancun Hotel Zone  for the water! BUT make sure it isn't sargassum season. In hotel zone, you should be close enough to malls and restaurants to walk. I have no problem taking city bus around hotel zone. Try to pick a hotel protected by Isla Mujeres if you are going during sargassum season. Make sure you stay adults only. I like Breathless and Secrets.
Puerto Vallarta: Great golf courses. I love the people! Water isn't pretty, beaches kinda rocky. Views are great! lush and rain foresty! Secrets or Now Amber! Now Amber is family friendly.
Cabo: I just got back from Cabo on the 28th. Water isn't swimmable. Not clear like the Caribbean but not brown like PV. They have a Secrets on the marina and that puts you near shops and restaurants. I have stayed at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos but it is not near anything. Awesome place on a golf course. We just stayed at Riu Baja california Palace. it isn't as nice as Secrets or Breathless. It is part of a large complex and you have access to all of it.

If you need anything else DM me. We are usually in MX once a year!

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#30]
My girl and I went to El Dorado Royal in Playa Del Carmen for a week. We had an absolute blast, it’s all inclusive adults only. The food was great, tons of restaurants to choose from, tons of swim up bar that will make you whatever you want. Our room opened up to a lay out pool and a lazy river. You can go party at the main pool, relax in a cabana by one of the other pools or on the beach. The gym was pretty decent. There was always something going on at night. We’re looking forward to going back.

Our room

Main party pool

One of the night time bars

Another one of the bars we stopped at on our way to dinner
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Through June, there have been almost 10,000,000 (ten million) international passenger arrivals/departures in 2022 at the Cancun airport.   That is not consistent with the Cancun being the worst place to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cold water.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Couldn’t have said it better myself.   My grandparents used to live in mazatlan and I’ve been down there a dozen or more times.  Great ocean fishing and if you go a bit inland there is a world class bass lake.

Wife and I occasionally do Cancun as well at an all inclusive resort to just relax.  Hard to complain when everything is paid for and I can eat a steak every meal of the day if I want.  

I feel safer in Mexico than I do in larger cities near my home, even without a gun.  Trouble is definitely there if you want to find it but don’t go trying to buy drugs or hookers and you most likely will be fine.
View Quote

I fished that lake in 1972. UNREAL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd go waaaaaaaaaay the fuck south down by Guatamala just to make sure I was as far way from the cartel bullshit as I could be.

But thankfully there are places like Krabi, Thailand I can go to and not worry about my head ending up on a pike.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
<   Lives in Tijuana Mexico

All inclusive in Cancun is best for noobs.  Stick to the resort and you will be fine.

if a little more adventurous, I'd say Mazatlan , especially if you like to fish
View Quote

I fucking love mazatlan. Not this time of year though. Hot as F.
Go to via union a chuepetas for sea food.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

-Tropical
-All inclusive
-Not a shithole
-Swim-up bar
View Quote

Take yo ass to florida
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd go waaaaaaaaaay the fuck south down by Guatamala just to make sure I was as far way from the cartel bullshit as I could be.

View Quote

Chiapas and Oaxaca are legit war zones, some of the most lawless parts of Mexico.

You think the cartel violence thing is some kind of U.S. border thing?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Holbox island on the north side of the Yucatán. Two hours from Cancun
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cold water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cold water.

It is colder water, but worth it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Departure lounge of the airport.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Depends on your budget, but you can't go wrong with Cancun really. I've been to the area at least a dozen or so times, and 90% of the time I've enjoyed it. Only time I didn't enjoy it was one of the places I went was affordable and allowed kids. Well the menu reflects that, and food sucks, and service was ok at best. But had a great time at ALL of the adult only resorts.

If you want to be absolutely pampered with the wife, and have THE best spa experience. Go to Le Blanc cancun.

If you want it to be like home, and have a living room, private pools etc. Go to the Grand Residence. Smaller resort, but great for relaxing as you can always order room service and veg out in your room or patio with private pool.

One of the Riu Palaces is literally next door to the Ferry that takes you to Isla Mujeres. That way you can just enjoy the resort, but if you did want to "venture out" you can jump on the ferry for a few bucks, rent a golf cart and stroll around Isla Mujeres for an afternoon. See sea turtles and little flea markets etc.

If you're going to a LONG time, the Moon Palace has about 17 restaurants, but their beach sucks.

There's more but I can't remember all of the ones I've been to.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Wife found a place in Cancun she really likes called Temptation...looks pretty nice
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wife found a place in Cancun she really likes called Temptation...looks pretty nice
View Quote

Looks like it caters to sex activities.

If you go to the Cancun area do NOT get ground transportation included in a "package."

Arrange a private service like canadatransfers.com or one of several others.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I went to Guadalajara for a weddTulum
nd it was alright. It's a large city so it's got large city stuff. That's the only place I've been.

Tulum would be a good getaway spot though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulum

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Looks like it caters to sex activities.
I wouldn't say it caters to it, but it looks like they have some nice themed parties

If you do to the Cancun area do NOT get ground transportation included in a "package."
Why not get the transportation included in a package? You you talking like a taxi service or rental car?

Arrange a private service like canadatransfers.com or one of several others.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Through June, there have been almost 10,000,000 (ten million) international passenger arrivals/departures in 2022 at the Cancun airport.   That is not consistent with the Cancun being the worst place to go.
View Quote

That airport is so busy they’re building another one. I believe it’s a little south of Playa.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mexico is nearly mostly fine if you stay on the resort.  Go to Mexico and have a good time.
View Quote

How does one know if they are not still serving radiator hooch?
In years past the wife & I enjoyed going to Cancun and staying at the Sun Palace but after the fake liquor was exposed at some resorts we won’t ever go again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That airport is so busy they’re building another one. I believe it’s a little south of Playa.
View Quote

Supposedly one near Tulum but I would not plan it as a airport destination until it opens (if ever) and airlines fly there.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Package transportation is likely to be a bus with lots of other people.  You may have to wait for them before you leave the airport and make multiple stops going to your hotel.  Then you have the same issue coming back.

With four people a private service (likely a van) is the way to go.   See the link I posted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Scottsdale
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top