Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
2 reps for sure maybe 3 on a good day

I dont lift weights anymore but i have to pick up/push/pull heavy stuff at work fairly often so it keeps me in ok shape.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
225x5x5 was my goal 6-years ago.  It’s easy now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Age 51, back into lifting last year. Cranked out 11 reps out of 225 about 8 weeks ago.  Usually work out multiple sets 135, 185, 205 and stop there. Do not go anywhere near heavy on deadlift or squat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Not yet. My goal is 225 for 3 sets of 5 by the end of the year.
This morning I did 192.5 for 5, 5, and 9. I am fairly confident I will make it. Bench is one of my better exercises. My squats are dismal, however.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I start out with 225, but I’ve been lifting for a long while
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm benching 225 at this very moment and typing this with my large member.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This was at the end of a chest workout where I actually had a spotter. I likely could have put up more weight if I could have pushed myself to my limits. You cannot push yourself when lifting solo unless you want to risk having hundreds of pounds of weight crashing into/laying on your chest/neck.

View Quote

There are plenty of racks with safety bars.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Dbl
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm convinced the reason I could never bench much was my 7foot wingspan. It's just physics.

At my best, lifting 4x a week, in my 20s 225 was still tough and if I got 10 I was very happy. At 6'3

Now those short fuckers could out bench me all day long.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
View Quote

No, it's because you didn't train properly.

Excuses are like assholes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not yet. My goal is 225 for 3 sets of 5 by the end of the year.
This morning I did 192.5 for 5, 5, and 9. I am fairly confident I will make it. Bench is one of my better exercises. My squats are dismal, however.
View Quote

Squat heavy, it will improve your bench fast. You’re like 6 weeks out from meeting you goal even taking it slow
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are plenty of racks with safety bars.
View Quote

You're right. There are. However, there were none.at.the gym I was going to
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I can just eek out 2 reps at that weight but I am a smaller guy
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The interweb says that a very low % of people are capable of benching 225 and I was curious what the arfcom average was. Even though I do not consider the bench press a good way to compare yourself to others, I do feel like it is a decent way to measure one's progress in the gym.

When I started lifting back in January I struggled to get 155 more than once. A couple weeks ago I finally hit 225 for my one rep max. I weigh 172, down from 195.

View Quote

I'd guess far less than 5% of adult males could do it. Even less if using a true competition pause.

Before my kid was born two years ago, easy. I haven't gotten under a bar since then though. I could probably do it without serious pain or straining, with an good warmup... maybe. I was up at 325 before.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#15]
How many here can take the trash out without asking someone to hold the door, or bring in the groceries without bitching about it under your breath?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Question for the referee: Does the 225 mean 7 ft olympic bar + weight plates or is it strictly weight plates?
I presume normal olympic bars = 45lbs.

Always wondered about that.

And no, I can't.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Benching 225, as explained repeatedly in this thread, is not "magic" or "roids."  For those that actually lift regularly, I'd be surprised if most couldn't.  Add in that as the poll results indicate, self selection plays a part in the results (aka folks that CAN bench 225+ are likely to click on this thread more so than those that can't.)

Now looking at my notes, my usedtacud™©® was 295 for 3x5 as of my last cycle, and I'm 51 yrs. old.  There's no excuse for being weak.

My deads still suck, but I'm getting better & increasing volume on them a LOT.

My best squats are long behind me though, and I'm happy as a pig in slop when I can do 385 without excessive knee pain (thank you wrestling & Marines), but more regularly focus on volume w/ lower weights (~225-315).

I lifted a lot in HS as a wrestler (1k lb club wrestling at 140 lbs my Sr. year).  I lifted a bit in the Marines (it helps to be strong when you carry heavy shit long distances). I took a LONG hiatus from lifting after marriage/kids/life and set a goal to get back into the 1k+ lb club before I hit 50, and I exceeded that goal (315B/385S/405D).  I then set the goal to make 1,200 lbs by 51 & exceeded it again (365B/405S/455D).  Now I'm working towards 1,500 lbs by 52.  Maybe I'll make it.  Maybe I won't.  But the benefits are definitely worth it, and it beats being weak & lazy as I age.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Jeez, all you guys with good genetics saying it's so f-in easy.

When I first started, it took me 6+ months to get to 135.

I was on/off, for years, then I started consistently in late 2019 at 150. Took me over 2.5 years to get to 225. Sure I had a sick/not optimal weeks here or there, but fuck all y'all "I just started and did that shit in 6 weeks/6 months."

I can't just add 5 pounds a week and keep going like that. I'll max out at 5x5 of 165 and that's it. Back off, then try again? Nope. That's it.

Last year and a half I've been making progress with 5/3/1. Feels good to finally achieve this goal lol. Next goal is to do 5 reps with it, but I'm happy with that as my max weight and will focus on other things.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Question for the referee: Does the 225 mean 7 ft olympic bar + weight plates or is it strictly weight plates?
I presume normal olympic bars = 45lbs.

Always wondered about that.

And no, I can't.
View Quote

whenever someone talks about what weight they lift they are including the weight of the bar, so benching 225 is usually 2 - 45lbs plates on each side plus the 45lb bar.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#20]
When I was a skinny 170 pound guy in the Army I could. Now? No way!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Two surgically repaired shoulders and 66 years old.  No to the nth power.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't lifted for a while...but I just did 225 cold and got it up....so voted yes.  

Didn't feel great, that's for sure, but it made it back on the rack.  

I should get back into the routine.  Covid threw off my lifting schedule and haven't got back on track.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Not sure....doubt it.
I fell of the (working out) horse recently.   I used to be able to do it....not sure if I could right now, and I'm too lazy to try.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's my goal weight for standing OHP. I'll be doing 152.5 for amrap tomorrow, hoping to get at least 3.
View Quote

Got it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I could bench 225 easily in high school. It's now a warm up set.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Just did 350 for a triple an hour ago.

I think that counts as “currently.”
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was on/off, for years, then I started consistently in late 2019 at 150. Took me over 2.5 years to get to 225. Sure I had a sick/not optimal weeks here or there, but fuck all y'all "I just started and did that shit in 6 weeks/6 months."

I can't just add 5 pounds a week and keep going like that. I'll max out at 5x5 of 165 and that's it. Back off, then try again? Nope. That's it.

Last year and a half I've been making progress with 5/3/1. Feels good to finally achieve this goal lol. Next goal is to do 5 reps with it, but I'm happy with that as my max weight and will focus on other things.

View Quote

Don’t blame poor programming on genetics.

What’s your BW?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I can get it at least 5x, maybe more.

My shoulder joints and tendons don’t like bench press anymore.

Back in 2016 when I was lifting regularly I decided to do a combine style 225 for reps. I only got 22 reps. That’s not impressive considering I am over 350 lbs and 6’2” tall.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, it's because you didn't train properly.

Excuses are like assholes.
View Quote

Do you even physics, bro?

The longer your arms, the more work you must do to lift the same amount of weight. Work is force times distance, and is a unit of energy.

Assuming a 1:1 ratio for height to arm length, a 6' individual must do 20% more work than a 5' individual to lock out the same weight. It's a real thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd guess far less than 5% of adult males could do it. Even less if using a true competition pause.

Before my kid was born two years ago, easy. I haven't gotten under a bar since then though. I could probably do it without serious pain or straining, with an good warmup... maybe. I was up at 325 before.
View Quote

This brings up a good point that half the people that say they can probably aren’t doing it to much of a standard. As in, touching chest, brief pause, etc. Most of these are probably more of what would be a squirmy half-rep.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]
A good number of people on here are FOS.  

I, for one, am shocked at GD being FOS.  

I was always one of those that "didn't have the genetics" for upper body strength but "had strong legs".

I started lifting about 3 years ago and 75lbs was kicking my butt.

My best recent 5x5 has been 235lbs.  235 is greater than my bodyweight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Squat heavy, it will improve your bench fast. You’re like 6 weeks out from meeting you goal even taking it slow
View Quote

Heavy squats are the answer to every strength and/or lifting question.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I benched 225 within my first year of training and my genetics are pure shit.

This was the early 2000’s and the wealth of training knowledge just wasn’t as readily available. I maxed out 2-3x times a week, didn’t train legs,half assed some back work, and did 3 million shrugs. 225 just isn’t some hard to reach number.

Try harder

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What’s your BW?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s your BW?

It is true that I could have done much more to improve more quickly.

185 now. Was around 165 when I started a few years ago. 72" height, 40 years old.

Still soggy around the middle though. That's my next goal after getting my squat and deadlift a bit better is to maintain the strength and to trim off some fat and improve my conditioning.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I never really do the 1 rep max thing, but I did 275lbs x 8 for three sets Friday as part of one of my usual workouts and throw in a set of 325x3 when I can.
Also did worked up to and back down from a 405lbs x 4 deadlift (rack-pull really...my body make deadlifts really hard on my lower back) and 505lbs x 4 squat last week.

But I'm also 6'5" and around 400lbs...so while I'm proud of what I can do, it's really not super impressive compared to a lot of smaller dudes who can do the same or more.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
17x for one set to start my workout today. I think I had another one or two In me but I did not have a spotter.

49 y/o.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe. My personal trainer rarely programs the bench press. Same with one rep max work. There's just a ton more shit that's more important/interesting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe. My personal trainer rarely programs the bench press. Same with one rep max work. There's just a ton more shit that's more important/interesting.
View Quote

This is fake news. Bench is the most important lift in the gym.

Today is national bench day. Celebrate it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#40]
In honor of National Bench Press Day, I did some reps at 225.

Still recovering from that thing that cannot be named so I’m feeling weak and shaky.

Fuck china.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, bench press or dumbbell press is a big one, hits the major upper body groups.

I did 6 sets of 5 with 225lbs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree, bench press or dumbbell press is a big one, hits the major upper body groups.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What roids are you taking? Amirite?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Still recovering from that thing that cannot be named so I’m feeling weak and shaky.

Fuck china.
View Quote

I deadlift on Mondays.

And it's deload week.

Double fail
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fuck china.
View Quote

If you squatted more, you wouldn't have caught it
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck china.

Wrong. You need a big bench to get a stronger upper respiratory system to defeat it.

#trustthescience
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

None, I take no meds at all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t even snort the creatine??!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Creatine, yes, but that's not a med, hell I don't even drink protein shakes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#gatewaydrug
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Went off program to take a max standing OHP

225 standing OHP and 280x6 incline bench

225, not as clean as I like but I got it. Then smashed 280x6 on incline. The John Meadows program I’m running calls for my incline to be done the way I’m doing them before someone calls me a cheater.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top