Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 12:08:12 PM EDT
I'm now looking into a new postban bushy carbine with the AK break on it... I kinda like the way it looks, but I'm curious how they work, like:

1. Do they suppress flash at all, have no effect, or amplify it?
2.What recoil reduction to they produce, and is it worth it?
3. Does the break make the weapon louder, and if so how much?
4. Is $750 a good price for one of these, new?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The "Shorty AK" is without a doubt the loudest most piercing rifle out there.   Your shooting buddies will not like it!  That pronounced high freq pop goes right through me.  A .50 may technically be louder, but it is nowhere near as annoying.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, it looks totally cool at night.
With that said, never shoot it w/o hearing protection.
If WWIII would have happened, we would have won because the Russkie infantry would all have been deaf.
It is also totally unnecessary.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Bushmaster 16" A2 with the AK break is good to go.  It shoots well fast.  There is a huge fireball that is seen when you are firing the rifle.  I personally have one and love it.  $750 isn't too bad.  I am sure if you get one you won't regret it.  By the way I own a preban rifle as well and like the AK style muzzle break.  Bushmaster also has a Y comp break and it works pretty good.  

Max
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The AK-74 "STYLE" muzzle brake was $25 the last time I looked in my Bushmaster catalog.

What is a reasonable charge to have it soldered on?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont know too much about the AK brake, but do NOT get the Mini Y-Comp.  It is LOUD and has a 15' wash on both sides of you.  It also sends a shockwave back at you.  The ar-15 doesn't kick/flip that much anyways, and these brakes only do a tad of muzzle control.  I am about to replace my 14.5 + mini y comp barrel and get a 16" M4 w/out the brake.  I may get the Wilson Combat A2 brake later, but not now.

JH
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
OH PLEEEASE, It's a high power rifle, It's gonna go BANG!!That bang is loud, so wear your hearing protection and stop whining! I have a Bushy shorty with the AK break and have had no complaints or even dirty looks at any range I have shot at. It also sounds no louder to me than a plain  or suppressed muzzle.

[heavy]

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
How 'bout NO BRAKE?
It makes for easy cleaning and doesn't "enhance" the flash with the right ammo.
And the noise goes straight out, rather than back at you or to the sides.
There's some good info on this at snipercountry.com.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
A Miculek or JP is louder than any of the others (I think due to the large surface areas). One to think about is the Levang Linear comp. Its only available pre-ban, but you could have it silver soldered on. Hard to describe. Look at it on the DPMS site.
[url]http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=6307&CATID=494[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top