Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 5:47:06 AM EDT
After shooting a service rifle match yesterday, A couple of us hung around to B.S. and shoot some pistols. As we were talking, I saw a helicopter flying in from the northeast. Not a strange sight in and of it's self, because Ft Hood is close by. Blackhawks and Apaches flying around all the time. At first, I thought it was the old H-34, like used in Full Metal Jacket, but as it got closer and finally flew over I realised it was a Russian "HIP" troop transport chopper.
I know that the Germans are trying to get some equipment into the Port to conduct some exercises at Hood, but seeing that "HIP" flying over American soil didn't set to well with me.
I'll dig around, and see what I can find out, but if anyone has any info, pass it on. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
but as it got closer and finally flew over I realised it was a Russian "HIP" troop transport chopper.
View Quote

Relax, probably not a big deal.  At one time we could get arsnenal quality Russian SKS, what about the comblock AKs from Hungary, Checksovakia, AKs, SKS, & 1911s from Communist China?

Russian Wolf ammo, Norinoc ammo?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The Army's been flying the Mi-8 Hip for at least 20 years that I know of.  We had one at the Test Bed at Ft Rucker when I went through flight school in the mid-80's.  It had been there a while.  When I was stationed at Ft Hood with the 1st Cav, we had an Mi-24D stop by enroute from Edwards AFB to Ft Rucker.  That was in '87.  When I returned to Rucker for the AVOAC, we had 7 Mi-24's in the hangers out at the test bed.  The Mi-8, Mi-24, and Ka-25 airframes are flown almost daily at JRTC/Ft Polk as agressor aircraft.  In fact US Army OPFOR units actually fly more hours in Russian aircraft than the Russian military currently does.  

Both the Army, and Air Force have a suprisingly large number of "non-standard" aircraft that are used even for simple training exersices.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Always wanted my very own Hind. Anybody have some prices or maybe a link to "Ivans Slightly Used Hind's"? Sposiba.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The Macedonians have been using HINDs in action in their battles with the Albanians.  I saw some footage of one strafing and popping flares on The News Hour with Jim Lehrer.  Awesome.  They always have the best footage of that conflict, for some reason.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Roger that. I just thought it curious, and thought I'd pass it along. After I posted and went outside, I got to thinking that since the Germans are bringing alot of equipment into Texas, maybe they are using them as left overs from East Germany.
Just another thing that shows ..."the world, it is a changing". Still might sent it to Art Bell, just for the heck of it. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
They are out there.
I have seen the HIP, HIND and COLT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top