Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any male volleyball scenes?
View Quote

Man meat?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A massive disappointment.

Even more so given that they had good meat and potatoes to work with.  Great cast, great cinematography, and some really nice opportunities to call back to the first movie. It had all the parts to make a massively good movie.

That being said, it was just an incoherent mess of a ridiculous story, hokey dialogue and character interactions, stupid and inaccurate tactical scenario, and ridiculous flying scenes.  Jennifer Connelly is a massive MILF, but there was just zero chemistry (in addition to not even being able to re-tell the 'going ballistic with an Admiral's daughter' story correctly).  The entire first Darkstar portion of the story was totally out of place and a waste of time and money that would have been better spent giving us some background on the pilots and WSOs who were getting called in for the mission.

"We're all the best...who are they going to get to teach us?"  GMAFB.

I really wanted to like this one, but even with the huge grains of salt in knowing that it was entertainment and not a documentary, it was still an enormous fail.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://tenor.com/view/fuck-loading-idontviveafuck-gif-5354006.gif

Never saw the first one, won't be seeing this one....and yes, I thought Heat was a great movie too.
View Quote

Must suck yo fail at cool stuff in life.. especially to even post about it.

Anyways going this weekend to see it! Can't wait!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ohhhhh!!!!! Thanks for the feedback, I just ordered a ticket for tomorrow!

Question, does Goose make a cameo as well?
View Quote

You'll have to see the movie, but he is alive!.  He faked his death and became an ER doctor under a fake identy.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Judging by the audience reaction I think that's likely. We haven't seen a true blockbuster in years. We might go see it again.
View Quote

Tons of cheering during the movie and applause at the end, and I was just at a normal mid-day matinee today in suburbia.

So, it will probably make a ton of money.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Did anyone realize the rodeo kid from Outer Range is the nerdy WSO?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did not.. that's crazy
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://tenor.com/view/fuck-loading-idontviveafuck-gif-5354006.gif

Never saw the first one, won't be seeing this one....and yes, I thought Heat was a great movie too.
View Quote

So you are a commie then?  Because only a Commie would not have seen the first Top Gun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ohhhhh!!!!! Thanks for the feedback, I just ordered a ticket for tomorrow!

Question, does Goose make a cameo as well?
View Quote

He's too busy working in the ER....oh, wait....
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard that Harold Faltermeyer did the music for the movie, just like the first one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I heard that Harold Faltermeyer did the music for the movie, just like the first one.
View Quote

The music was actually really well done.  Good callbacks to the first flick and appropriately updated new stuff.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The music was actually really well done.  Good callbacks to the first flick and appropriately updated new stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I am more stoked to see it. I love Faltermeyer's 80s themes
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I plan on seeing it.

How did Val Kilmer look?

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I loved it.  I'm a naval aviation nerd and although there were definitely some cringe moments, they got a lot of things right.  Way more than the first movie.  Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Air cart, gun counter, manual wing sweep handle, engine cranks. All awesome.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw the first one, for the first time, a month or two ago

Didn't think it was particularly memorable or special, but decades on...

Would the second be worth seeing with that in mind?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Historically..

"The biggest opening of any Tom Cruise film has been the $64.9 million earned by his 2005 film War of the Worlds. Even Mission Impossible: Fallout--which is his highest-grossing film at $787 million--opened to a relatively low $61 million in 2012."

I think this could be his first $100 million opening
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
looking forward to seeing tom cruise doing the les grossman dance when the numbers come in.

Historically..

"The biggest opening of any Tom Cruise film has been the $64.9 million earned by his 2005 film War of the Worlds. Even Mission Impossible: Fallout--which is his highest-grossing film at $787 million--opened to a relatively low $61 million in 2012."

I think this could be his first $100 million opening

Is that Inflation adjusted?     ‘Cause it needs to be, or just compare tickets sold.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I know a couple of hornet squadrons that went yesterday.  I’ll check with them and see what they thought.  Should be funny
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bill Pullman's son.

One of the better scenes was between Penny Benjamin's daughter and Maverick. You'll know it when you see it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Wife wants a trip to the theater to see it as part of her birthday celebration… I’m down
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Good flick!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck Tiny Tom Cruise.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They show her naked midriff but her tits are below the frame.

Just kidding, she's aged like a fine bottle of Glenlivet. And this is a family film.
View Quote

Kelly McGillis showed hers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Saw it last night in Imax and thought it was a great homage to the original.  Was it hyper accurate and a bit cheesy at times?  Sure.  That being said I had a nerdy smile on my face through the entire movie.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can I ask who the bad guys are without spoiling the movie?
View Quote

I would say the not Americans...............But there seems to be plenty of enemies that are Americans
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Good! I am excited to see it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Even more so given that they had good meat and potatoes to work with.  Great cast, great cinematography, and some really nice opportunities to call back to the first movie. It had all the parts to make a massively good movie.

That being said, it was just an incoherent mess of a ridiculous story, hokey dialogue and character interactions, stupid and inaccurate tactical scenario, and ridiculous flying scenes.  Jennifer Connelly is a massive MILF, but there was just zero chemistry (in addition to not even being able to re-tell the 'going ballistic with an Admiral's daughter' story correctly).  The entire first Darkstar portion of the story was totally out of place and a waste of time and money that would have been better spent giving us some background on the pilots and WSOs who were getting called in for the mission.

I really wanted to like this one, but even with the huge grains of salt in knowing that it was entertainment and not a documentary, it was still an enormous fail.

View Quote

Did you not see the original?

You gotta turn most of your brain off to watch these things man.

Still WAY WAY better than Tomorrow War, the worst move made in the history of Man.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Just wanted to emphasize:

Holy fuck Tomorrow War was so bad.

Fuck you Hollywood.

Now I'm mad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#28]
97% on rotten tomatoes. Many critics saying its better than the first which is hard to believe. Im going tomorrow night to see it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Being better than the first movie is a fairly low bar.  I'm looking forward to seeing this one,  I'm planning on going next week.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Did they play Dangerzone?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did they play Dangerzone?
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Have a big group going tonight at 830. Can't wait!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh hell yeah it is!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I get that the F14 was harder and more expensive to maintain but damn. We spend money on dumber shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#36]
The movie was very entertaining, checks all the current stereotypical boxes, without being too woke.  The story pays homage to the OG in a tasteful way.  The story was not too predictable, but was campy in parts. The action is great.  Tom is starting to really show his age.  Tom and JC have zero chemistry and their scenes feel forced.

If you’re a ‘action scenes needs to be correct or else it sucks’ movie watcher, you will not enjoy it.  You have to suspend a lot of reality to watch the action scenes.

Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Saw...it...last...night. ...The...flight...scenes...were...incredible. ...The...F18...Super...Hornet...was...the...star...of...the...movie. ...Highly...recommend...for...all...as...the...bride...loved...it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#38]
None of my money goes to support libtards of Hollywood.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
None of my money goes to support libtards of Hollywood.
View Quote

Your virtue signaling is appreciated.  

The movie was great.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I saw it at the afternoon matinee for $4.  It was silly at times, but that's what I came prepared for.  

Final mission reminded me of some of those DCS challenges placed on Youtube by the Grim Reapers.  Visuals make up for it.  I was expecting to see an intense light and sound show and it didn't disappoint.

Loads of nostalgia and items that hearken back tot he first film, and the airplane pron is great.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tom and JC have zero chemistry and their scenes feel forced.
View Quote

It's always like that with Tom Cruise because he's fucking weird.  Whenever he is on camera, he's acting.  If you've watched the videos where he talks about Scientology, you get a glimpse into how completely odd the dude is.

His last wife was chosen and groomed by the church of Scientology, for fuck's sake.  His on-screen romances never seem natural and I strongly suspect it's because he's a psychopath and incapable of real human emotion.

Dude's a great actor but something in his brain is broken.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I saw it at the afternoon matinee for $4.  It was silly at times, but that's what I came prepared for.  

Final mission reminded me of some of those DCS challenges placed on Youtube by the Grim Reapers.  Visuals make up for it.  I was expecting to see an intense light and sound show and it didn't disappoint.

Loads of nostalgia and items that hearken back tot he first film, and the airplane pron is great.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

To the spoiler... he's been flying for around 40 years with multiple combat deployments and has no family, lives in an old hangar.  He could have saved up a few million in that scenario.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Did you especially like the part where every segment was represented?  

That’s my favorite and I think the most believable part.  Certainly not the 50 year old fighter pilot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I have dead center sweet spot seats for a 9pm IMAX showing tonight. I’m jacked to the TITS
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#49]

To be fair, his is a perspective from an industry professional. It's like how all the nuke plant containing movies irritate me, while the general audience is entertained.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's always like that with Tom Cruise because he's fucking weird.  Whenever he is on camera, he's acting.  If you've watched the videos where he talks about Scientology, you get a glimpse into how completely odd the dude is.

His last wife was chosen and groomed by the church of Scientology, for fuck's sake.  His on-screen romances never seem natural and I strongly suspect it's because he's a psychopath and incapable of real human emotion.

Dude's a great actor but something in his brain is broken.
View Quote

I don’t know about great.  He’s has a few character plays.

Talk to me Goose, Tom
I’m pissed, determined and going to kill you, Tom
The fate has brought me here and I can do it, Tom
I recognize my life to this point has been a lie, now that I see this I am going to over come the plot challenge, Tom
(the above 4 are very close to each other, but are uniquely different it you look at his movies)
The Risky Business, look how cute I am and my smile, Tom
Ok, I’m vulnerable and need help, Tom
I have too, but I don’t do them well love scene, Tom

That’s about all his range. He’s made billions doing it over and over…so great I guess.  But he’s no Daniel Day Lewis.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top