Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Medal of Honor Warfighter | SEAL Team 6 Combat Training Series Episode 7 -- Breaching
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What percentage of doors will not open? Be precise. You know every door in every school. How often will you be right?
View Quote

And I’m really not trying not to get in a pissing match with you.  I think a lot of people are frustrated and feel very helpless.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ouch!!!

At least FD has jumped in and realized they need to get in there on an active. It is only training for medical though and not doing entry, which we may need to reconsider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We carry these on our fire trucks.  This exact model.  Pretty much standard equipment that makes commercial doors a breeze.  Rabbit tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43482/74E1D432-7AD6-4A08-8C83-EA49B26DF766_jpe-2398048.JPG

Need a hell of a lot longer handle being staged blocks away!

Ouch!!!

At least FD has jumped in and realized they need to get in there on an active. It is only training for medical though and not doing entry, which we may need to reconsider.

Exactly.

I would bet a dollar that the FD has more expertise on getting through commercial rated fire doors that the PD does.

Use the resources you have instead of twiddling your thumbs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]

That video cost more to make than many agencies' training budgets.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And I’m really not trying not to get in a pissing match with you.  I think a lot of people are frustrated and feel very helpless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What percentage of doors will not open? Be precise. You know every door in every school. How often will you be right?

I would rather die than do nothing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put a fucking sawzall in the jamb and cut through the bolt.

Do the same with a K12 rotary saw.

Both methods can be pretty damn quick with the right blade
View Quote

In what fantasy world is this practical?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You tell me bro?  What do you do for a living, cop or fireman?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fire fighters will not respond in to a situation thats still active
View Quote

@tc556guy Horse shit! Set a perimeter and fire will stage on a dime.  You’d have firemen loaded with haligans, saws, porta-powers, rabbits, axes, saws, San Angelo bars and every other demo device known to man lined up around the fucking block, ready to walk a mile barefoot, through broken glass, hell fire and  everything else without a stitch of cover, on PD’s word to get a door open.  

The only reason you don’t “go now” is because your entry could make things worse than it already is inside.  The wisdom used to be not to force the baddies hand.  Now, it is much more get in quick and put a stop to it before it gets worse than it already is.

But who knows?  Maybe intelligence on the ground was that there were too many innocents in the way of the bullet that fuck stick deserved.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I kept a giant pry-bar in my patrol vehicle trunk when I worked the road, along with rubber door stops (they work both to keep doors open, and keep them closed, to some extent) in my active shooter rig.

Had given thought to getting a post driver and keeping it in the trunk too, but I never did:

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

And that’s not unusual.  Think secondary devices on bomb calls. They are used because people respond to that emotion.  And I certainly understand yours and everyone else’s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get that some people are not mechanically inclined, but fucks sake!  There is not a door in the world that an elementary school kid uses that I can’t get through in under a minute with what’s on any fire truck.  Saw or not, I can make door a very temporary obstacle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

since you aren't answering, its the most practical fucking thing suggested so far and is regularly used. Would it have been perfect in this circumstance, I could not tell you I wasn't there.  

But I would have taken both off my engine and offered them to PD on scene.  Both are child proof.  Both are straightforward.  Enter into slot, cut, open.  

Much fucking faster that pounding a duckbill of a haligan into the jamb and trying to pull out with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, one thing I don't get: Why the heck do any of you "Just ram it with a SUV" people not understand that A) You can't fit a SUV down the hallway of the school, and even if you could, the door in question would be beside you, NOT in front of you, and B) Commercial buildings are built on a raised slab that would stop any patrol car dead in its tracks before it did much more than crack and push in the wall some. No way would there be a man-size hole unless you hit right under a window AND bucked the wall high enough to take out the window, which may or may not be very low probability.

With that, I'm as PO'd as anyone about what we know so far about LEO response. I'll wait for the full story to come out though. I guess the type of Texan LEO that went up against Charles Whitman while civilians and LEO pinned him down with rifle fire from as much as 500 yards away is gone now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And then retreated
View Quote

According to the chief, two of them were shot in the process.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A police Tahoe will takeout the door just use it.
View Quote

Once again, how will the Tahoe get TO the classroom door
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exactly.

I would bet a dollar that the FD has more expertise on getting through commercial rated fire doors that the PD does.

View Quote

Once again, fire departments will not respond into an active scene
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Patton would rather that the other guy die. What does you dying accomplish except creating another victim
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the classroom door was up to standard no you are not getting in. That's the whole point. This has occurred several times in active shooter situations.

No, Rural patrol cops are not going to have breaching tools.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@tc556guy Horse shit! Set a perimeter and fire will stage on a dime.  You’d have firemen loaded with haligans, saws, porta-powers, rabbits, axes, saws, San Angelo bars and every other demo device known to man lined up around the fucking block, ready to walk a mile barefoot, through broken glass, hell fire and  everything else without a stitch of cover, on PD’s word to get a door open.  

The only reason you don’t “go now” is because your entry could make things worse than it already is inside.  The wisdom used to be not to force the baddies hand.  Now, it is much more get in quick and put a stop to it before it gets worse than it already is.

But who knows?  Maybe intelligence on the ground was that there were too many innocents in the way of the bullet that fuck stick deserved.
View Quote

Sorry, but years of experience tells me that neither fire nor EMS will enter an active scene
Set a perimeter? There WAS a perimeter at this school and everyone is criticizing the officers on the perimeter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many cops responding to an active shooter have access to a sawzall?

There is a way to defeat school locks in every school.  A proper active shooter program will/would have addressed that.

Let’s just say that through some wizardry, because we are all wizards, that a cop had a sawzall on is belt.  It should be on his non dominate side, in a yellow holster, but thats another discussion.  How in the world is he going to saw a lock on a door with an armed shooter on the other side?

The answer is he isn’t.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And then retreated

That sucks.  I hope they make a full recovery.  I have not heard anything about them dying, so I take that as a positive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sorry, but years of experience tells me that neither fire nor EMS will enter an active scene
Set a perimeter? There WAS a perimeter at this school and everyone is criticizing the officers on the perimeter.
View Quote
You are in NY.  That may just be how it is there.  I can tell you my experience in 30 years as a texas firefighter, that is now how it works here.  

But yes we are behind cover.  We are not front and center with kill teams.  We do enter as RTF.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

el oh el
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Patton would rather that the other guy die. What does you dying accomplish except creating another victim
View Quote

Hey! Numb nuts!  If he’s busy trying to kill grown ups, who’s job it is to send bad men to hell, he’s not killing kids.

ETA:  Nineteen dead third and fourth graders.  They could have used a quicker, better response.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is a way to defeat school locks in every school.  A proper active shooter program will/would have addressed that.

Let's just say that through some wizardry, because we are all wizards, that a cop had a sawzall on is belt.  It should be on his non dominate side, in a yellow holster, but thats another discussion.  How in the world is he going to saw a lock on a door with an armed shooter on the other side?

The answer is he isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's just say that through some wizardry, because we are all wizards, that a cop had a sawzall on is belt.  It should be on his non dominate side, in a yellow holster, but thats another discussion.  How in the world is he going to saw a lock on a door with an armed shooter on the other side?

The answer is he isn't.
EVERY FUCKING ONE THAT RESPONDED IN MY CITY I WORK FOR

Are you a cop or a fireman....or an opinionated GD'er who doesn't know.

ETA: here is a hint.  Fire and police form a unified command.  Fire and police command stand together.  While the initial kill team may not have a sawzall or K12, subsequent kill teams will.  Every fire truck on scene will have both a K12 and batter powered sawzall with carbide or diamond blades.

Those tools would be given to PD and their people could use them....if they were called for.

But the answer is YOUR ANSWER IS FUCKING WRONG.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OK, one thing I don't get: Why the heck do any of you "Just ram it with a SUV" people not understand that A) You can't fit a SUV down the hallway of the school, and even if you could, the door in question would be beside you, NOT in front of you, and B) Commercial buildings are built on a raised slab that would stop any patrol car dead in its tracks before it did much more than crack and push in the wall some. No way would there be a man-size hole unless you hit right under a window AND bucked the wall high enough to take out the window, which may or may not be very low probability.

With that, I'm as PO'd as anyone about what we know so far about LEO response. I'll wait for the full story to come out though. I guess the type of Texan LEO that went up against Charles Whitman while civilians and LEO pinned him down with rifle fire from as much as 500 yards away is gone now.
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.  Very well articulated.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#27]
So I heard on Fox just now, the shooter was outside shooting for 12 minutes before he went inside?!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that’s the truth, then I feel for the people of New York.  The first responders there used to be made of tougher stock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jesus. Monday morning quarterback commandos.

Has anyone been to the school? Was it a fire rated door? Metal frame? Did it open in or out?

I'm sure all of GD would have just picked the lock with their EDC items though
View Quote
Yeah, let the cowards stage for an hour outside cause they can't find a key or don't want to go in. Don't dare question that decision that goes completely against every bit of modern active shooter tactical response training.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Every facility I had charge of, had a locked red box that had a master key and master key card available for the fire dept. and the police. They both brought out ever swinging dick to see where they were located and got a complete tour of the entire facility so if they were called, it wouldn't be the first time there. There is NO excuse for that not to be in place at every school.
View Quote

What you don't seem to grasp is that school districts and administrators are largely anti-gun and anti-police. Austin PD has been told straight out that they would NOT get tours or use any school property for training.  Been that way since before Columbine.  We had to go to San Marcos to use a school building there. The interior of every AISD high school is a complete unknown to first responders patrolling the very neighborhood the school sits in. There certainly isn't a key. Fire has to call for it.

This is NOT a rare thing.  More like SOP for a lot of school districts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not on their belt.  Not available when responding to an active shooter.  If they have time to go out to a fire truck then its probably not an active shooter.

And relax, you get way too angry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Everyone is missing this one thing.

It's been stated in several articles that the shooter once inside the school, entered an OPEN classroom door,then locked himself in.

I'm not blaming the teachers, not at all. But once class is in session those doors are to be closed and locked. Been that way since I last worked in a school over a decade ago.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've lived in the South almost 65 years and only storm doors/screen doors "open out".
View Quote
Not only commercial buildings. Doors have to open out for fire code.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If the classroom door was up to standard no you are not getting in. That's the whole point. This has occurred several times in active shooter situations.

View Quote

Yes, rural cops DO have breaching tools. I carry a ram, sledge and Halligan in my car and I am well versed in their use. Every patrol car in the dept has a sledge and several others have rams. I can't imagine we're the only department that has prepared to make forced entry into a structure.

Also, as an active shooter instructor and breaching instructor I make sure to cover alternate methods of making entry to the building..., windowws and use of vehicles is top of the list.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Did the 18 yo have a key? No, of course not.  If he got in the freaking coppers could.  Did they shit their collective pants?  We were told some days it sucks to be acop, active shooter is one of those days.  Get in as fast as you can any Way you can.
View Quote

You don't need a key when the door is open.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Aim this at the locking bolt and I bet about after 5 second the door would swing free. There should be one in every few police trunks.

https://www.allhandsfire.com/Ventmaster-3120K-Fire-Rescue-Cut-Off-Saw
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hey! Numb nuts!  If he’s busy trying to kill grown ups, who’s job it is to send bad men to hell, he’s not killing kids.
View Quote

Back to my question. What good does a well intentioned guy who's letting his emotions get the best of him going to do by going and becoming a dead citizen.
I get it that people want to "do something" in these scenarios. But almost all of the recommendations  in these threads aren't going to work.
You cant drive an SUV down a school hallway to get at the classroom door. You aren't going to batter a wall down with a sledgehammer. And so on and so on.
People are throwing a bunch of stuff out there that they think would work. Good for them. But its not going to work, and they'd get themselves killed for nothing to show for it
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So it sounds like the local cops claim part of the problem is they claim they couldn't locate a key. Regardless of whether there's more to the story is breaching a door really a task beyond a regular patrol officer?

I thought about it because I know a police officer who lost of the tip of a finger when he accidentally got his finger between a battering ram and a door. Great police officer, accidents happen. But the point is the old Smallville, NY cops back home used to breach doors and they were regular old small town cops. I only remember being aware of the ram being used when there was a warrant though so I assume it was in a closet at the police station most of the time, not in a car trunk.

If I had to get into a door I'm confident I could do it with a sledge hammer. At least unrelated to needing a team of riflemen to cover you and then enter and clear the room.

There used to be a TV show where men competed at various "tactical stuff" and one of them was breaching doors by mule kicking, using a sledge and, I think, a ram.
View Quote

@Aimless
I don’t know how they do it in Texas, but where I work we have keys that allow up to enter any door at any public school in our county. We also have access to sledge hammers, crow bars and other tools within our squad in separate cars.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Well what started as an interesting thread on door breaching has now gone to shit.
I did learn some things from people with door demo experience in this thread, so thanks for that.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What you don't seem to grasp is that school districts and administrators are largely anti-gun and anti-police. Austin PD has been told straight out that they would NOT get tours or use any school property for training.  Been that way since before Columbine.  We had to go to San Marcos to use a school building there. The interior of every AISD high school is a complete unknown to first responders patrolling the very neighborhood the school sits in. There certainly isn't a key. Fire has to call for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every facility I had charge of, had a locked red box that had a master key and master key card available for the fire dept. and the police. They both brought out ever swinging dick to see where they were located and got a complete tour of the entire facility so if they were called, it wouldn't be the first time there. There is NO excuse for that not to be in place at every school.

I guess drugs for cancer and RA are more important than children.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I’m a random nobody and I have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and a modified Stanley Fubar in my car. It’s definitely Monday morning quarterbacking now, but why don’t rural cops have entry gear?
View Quote

You realize EVERYTHING that goes in that car has to be approved by policy and the city lawyers, right?  I was written up for having an axe way back in the day.  It was not for breaching, but for cutting downed trees out of the street.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not on their belt.  Not available when responding to an active shooter.  If they have time to go out to a fire truck then its probably not an active shooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I typed in some capital letters and hurt your feels.  Sorry.  I am not angry.  You are simply wrong.

You have no concept of how these things work, IT APPEARS.  Maybe you are holding back, or maybe you are just trolling.  But with what you have said, you don't have the slightest clue.

Its a very fluid situation.  There are multiple teams that go inside.  Fire, in my city, is dispatched and responds WITH police.  We do not work with kill teams, but can give them access to tools.  We do work in the RTF teams, stopping the bleed and extracting.

There is a lot more but why waste the time explaining.  You are already not grasping the simplest of what could go on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Why didn't they go through a window?

Why is there no mention of windows at all? Kids jumped out the windows, what is stopping someone from shooting from outside in?

wtf?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is Austin and bullshit for most other places in the state.  Ask me how I know.

We have done all our active shooter training to date exclusively in schools in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You don't need a key when the door is open.
View Quote
This fact is indeed true.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be incorrect
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You realize EVERYTHING that goes in that car has to be approved by policy and the city lawyers, right?  I was written up for having an axe way back in the day.  It was not for breaching, but for cutting downed trees out of the street.
View Quote
Our cops carry a lot of shit they could breach with.  Austin is different not the norm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m trying to hold my outrage until accurate information is released but the Uvalde PD is doing themselves no favors by letting this issue swirl around full of conflicting “facts.”

If the shooter did in fact do all his killing in one classroom behind a locked hardened door, none of the methods discussed in the thread would have been fast enough to open the door before he was done.

And if the shooter has stopped firing, and is in a barricaded situation, and you don’t know if the other side is a hostage situation with live kids, or a sick fuck in a room full of corpses, you have a tougher decision to make about breaching because if it is a hostage situation, you don’t want to precipitate killings.

I don’t think this was the “standard” shooter roaming the campus, available to confront, situation.

I do know that aggressively entering, by yourself if necessary, has been standard protocol for decades.  I imagine most patrol guys have at least a sledge hammer in the car?  That would be a tough task with the school doors here.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I know this is just an example someone posted, but I would like to know why everyone assumes that the door is the only point of entry?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I learned to breach when I was a Prison officer on the Disturbance Control team, we learned to breach everything from the lightest interior doors to heavily hardened cell doors. I now work as maintenance in one of the country's largest school systems. There are several methods to breach school doors with minor equipment there are other ways to breach the building that don't involve doors, but you have to be willing to attempt an entry instead of hiding while children are slaughtered.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top