Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn that brings back some memories of late elementary school and early middle school.

We had an Aladdin's Castle right next to the dollar theatre in a local strip mall. Occasionally as a family, we'd walk down the road from our apartments and eat at the pizza place in the mall, then play a couple games at the arcade before grabbing a movie as a family.

That was before my parents divorced and before things got complicated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep had one here. Became a Cyberstation after Aladdins "closed". We had 2 arcades here in the 80's. Aladdins and Stans Arcade (was a detached 4 car garage converted to an arcade behind the owners house. Owner set it up so teens have a place to go without getting in trouble. Had tv's, games, soda machine and a pool table. Had strict rules, dont follow you are OUT.).

3-4 yrs ago another arcade tried to start up in the mall. Failed within 2 months. Now we have a new one that charges like $12 or $15/day to play all you want.
View Quote

Downtown Janesville isn’t it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Somewhere I still have an Aladdin's coin pouch. Red with gold lettering.
A couple of tokens too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would love to find a Stargate pinball machine.  Spent a lot of time playing that esting beer battered fries.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Spencer’s is another store that’s time has come.
I went in to the local one recently and it was basically a sex toy shop.
Not joke novelty shit either but straight up dildos.
View Quote

Jeesh. Spencer's.

I was banging this chick in high school. Her mother worked late, so I ended up spending lots of time at her place. The mom thought we were in a relationship, so she always asked me to stay for dinner there. Anyhow, her younger brother ended up getting some girl pregnant. There wasn't a father in the picture. I guess that's why the mom asked me to talk to her son about things. I was really uncomfortable, but I just went with it. Turns out, this kid stole some novelty condoms from Spencer's and used them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The best thing about the Aladdin's Castle we hung out at was on Friday nights when the mall closed if you paid $10 they'd lock you in with all the machines on free play for one hour. I can only assume this was a local only thing as we never saw any advertisements for it. You'd track down one of the employees before the mall closed and hand over your sawbuck and get your ticket, then when the mall was closing you'd line up outside, they'd take your ticket, and in you went.

I remember a friend and I beat several games that way. Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Bad Dudes, Altered Beast... all beat using free play.
View Quote

The Aladdin's castle near me had 2hrs for x amount of money on Wednesday nights 7 to 9 back in the late 80's. Free Domino's pizza. I have a few coins around somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Spent all my extra money in there back around 89-92
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#9]
16-bit Bar + Arcade is pretty fun
https://www.16-bitbar.com

I built a MAME cabinet a while ago. It's pretty fun and got my kids into classic arcade games. We also have a Super Chexx bubble hockey. I really want to get a pinball machine when we get back to the US.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What happened to all those big video game machines?  They just dump them in the ocean or what. You never see them anywhere.
View Quote

The upright cabinets got bought by collectors. The big units (the ones that were borderline rides) mostly got scrapped because few people want to devote that much space to them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would love to find a Stargate pinball machine.  Spent a lot of time playing that esting beer battered fries.
View Quote

Keep an eye on here. Median price $3K.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/stargate
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I still have tokens from the late '80's from the one in University Mall, Tuscaloosa, AL.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Paradise Valley Mall is gone now. Bulldozed.

I remember when it first opened.

SuperFun

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jeesh. Spencer's.

I was banging this chick in high school. Her mother worked late, so I ended up spending lots of time at her place. The mom thought we were in a relationship, so she always asked me to stay for dinner there. Anyhow, her younger brother ended up getting some girl pregnant. There wasn't a father in the picture. I guess that's why the mom asked me to talk to her son about things. I was really uncomfortable, but I just went with it. Turns out, this kid stole some novelty condoms from Spencer's and used them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#15]
lots of good times in the arcades in the 80s and early 90s.  street fighter, kung fu. altered beast are a few I remember.  First time I saw defenders I was hooked on videos games still like them today.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]
AZ kids, remember Van's California Daze at PV Mall?

Sidewalk Surfer by the UA5 was cooler. Bought my first Caballero deck there.

Also, the Bare Cover in Mesa.

Getting old sucks.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty sure we had an Aladdin's castle in the Ashtabula mall back in the 90s.  Last time I visited that mall it was an absolute ghost town. Weird flea markets, craft stores and other non mall shops in the few occupied berths.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Around here the arcades were “Spaceport.”  I spent a lot of hours in there. I miss the mall era…
View Quote

I fucking loved the Spaceport in the LV Mall
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Getting old sucks.

View Quote

Paradise Valley was too far, we stuck to Westgate or Metro mall
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting old sucks.

Metro Center is looking dead as well.

Nostalgia.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Our mall had two arcades: Time Out and Galaxy.

Both long gone, of course.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Back in Illinois we used to go to galaxy world (or Gala world, I can't really remember). Video arcade, 50 lane bowling, pool tables and bar. Great place.
Out here we have a "penny" arcade down in Manitou Springs. Lots of old school video games.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The one we had in the mall closed in the late '90's.

I recently found one of their tokens and gave it to my son to put with his coin collection.  Apparently, even though it had no monetary value, it's still worth something.

https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins.pl?coin=5366
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Getting old sucks.

View Quote

I just passed a Sidewalk Surfer on Scottsdale Road near Old Town.  I almost stopped in.

I bought my first pair of "fake" Ray Ban cat eyes at a Sidewalk Surfer back in the 80's.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is a small shopping mall about 40 miles from me with an Aladdin's Castle arcade.  Recently, I was dumbfounded to learn it's the very last one left.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111652/Screenshot_2022-05-20_5_36_55_PM_png-2390971.JPG

View Quote

Quincy Mall?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just passed a Sidewalk Surfer on Scottsdale Road near Old Town.  I almost stopped in.

I bought my first pair of "fake" Ray Ban cat eyes at a Sidewalk Surfer back in the 80's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting old sucks.

I still have some punk band stickers, unapplied, that I bought from Van's.

The Damned, Crass, Charged GBH, Discharge, a few more
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The microbreweries around here have been installing pin ball and arcade games.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#28]
We had the Nautilus arcade at Southglenn Mall in Littleton. Themed after the submarine from the Jules Verne book. Really cool place. Spent WAY to much time and money there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I spent a lot of my hard earned lawn mowing money in that place.  
View Quote

Same.  Arcades are still popular in Asia and I spent some time in the ones in the Philippines just for the nostalgia.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keep an eye on here. Median price $3K.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/stargate
View Quote

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I take the kids to Free Play in Richardson a few times a year.  $12 after tax or half price the first hour (I have checked my kids out of school early before ) because we have the place to ourselves.  

http://freeplayrichardson.com/games/

Almost everything is old school arcade machines, only a few wall mounted emulators running fight games.  

An entire wall of around 10 pinball games (including Star Trek TNG).  

They have a few DFW locations and they rotate games between them, so sometimes they won't have something they only have one of.  

We're good for about 90 minutes, sometimes a full two hours.  They have food and fancy boy beers some of y'all would love

We have played completely through this, but it took 50 minutes LOL

https://www.highwaygames.com/arcade-machines/bishi-bashi-channel-arcade-machine-17709/
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#32]
80s Alladin's Castle was a good time.  

90's not so much

We had pizza joints with machines and pinball in the 80s too.  

We have an "Arcade Bar" in the city to the south of us, daughter will have to wait almost a decade before she can enter and if the business is still open.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#33]
fun times at the mall.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be prepared to spend 4k or so.
Facebook marketplace has some games for sale.
Your best bet is looking for resellers tho.
There are several near where I live. I go by from time to time to get machines or parts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I built a MAME cabinet a while ago. It's pretty fun and got my kids into classic arcade games. We also have a Super Chexx bubble hockey. I really want to get a pinball machine when we get back to the US.
View Quote

@helmet91
What are you using for a front end?
I'm in the process of doing the same, but can't decide what to go with
I guess bigbox is the answer, but I absolutely hate the idea of "lifetime licences" it just irks me so bad
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep it was right next to the suit store.
View Quote

Ours was called Tilt or something. It was next to the Tux rentals.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#37]
MAME brought the death blow to arcades.

Do you guys remember when David Foley at Hyperware tried to file for ownership of MAME and the community said fuck no and fuck off?
He lost his house in Saratoga when the feds found out he was selling pirated TV cards. I think he even did jail time.

He also fucked Hyperware by doing side deals with company property.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#38]
We had Funway Freeway at the mall
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#39]
When the Annapolis mall first opened in the early 80s, there was one.  I remember the tokens specifically
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@helmet91
I guess bigbox is the answer, but I absolutely hate the idea of "lifetime licences" it just irks me so bad
View Quote
@Minty68 I have Maximus Arcade from X Arcade. It works well enough.

Unfortunately our cabinet (and Super Chexx) are in storage while we're over here in the NL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@helmet91
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@helmet91

I built one using a Raspberry Pi 4 / Retropie. I took an existing theme and completely reskinned it with Photoshop to fit the vibe I was after.
I paid for the lifetime BigBox tag and got fed up trying to beat it into submission I might find a use for it eventually but as far as my arcade preferences go, I really don't need a PC to power my machine.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top