Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bring the trades back to HS’s.

Not everyone learns from a book.

I struggled in HS. Once I barely got through, I thrived in the trades.

These days I would make many of my former teachers very proud, or jealous.

Bring the fucking trades back, NOW!
View Quote

I agree. I graduated in 09. It was all about going to college/uni. I hated school. Going to Afghanistan sounded better to me than more fucking school.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry but it's high school who cares?

Even college is a joke.

I got my BA (finance) and don't use it at all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I did not get my shit together till I was 24
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn’t vote, poll needs more options.

My senior year, I absolutely did not give a fuck about school. My algebra 2 teacher gave me a D- on the last project so I could pass (and graduate).

Here’s the deal, high school is not a litmus test for work ethic.

So I say pass them, but not necessarily because “they’re young, they’ll learn”.

Some have just reached the time they need out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my kids is ranked #1 in the class. The same child constantly complains that the lazy kids keep getting chances to turn in late assignments.

On the other hand, I was one of the lazy kids when I was in school. In retrospect, I just wasn’t designed for sitting still, doing schoolwork. Once, I had the highest standardized test score in the district, but I always did my homework in home room.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't do my junior English research project.
Teacher told me there was no possible way to pass class with out doing it, Well there was I needed a 96% in the 4th semester, I worked my ass off and got a 95% lol. I think it was out of spite on her part. I ended up taking remedial English my senior year.

The best part about this whole thing is the English teacher who failed me.
IS NOW MY MOTHER IN LAW.

That's how you establish dominance. Lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I my high school, if you made an A on the final exam, you passed the class.
Senior year, my grade in honors physics was 3 out of 100. I got a 97 on the state test, highest in the school. Passed with a 70. My gpa my senior year was 1.2

My SAT was 1490 out of 1600 third highest in the school.

Immediately joined the crayon eater club.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I almost flunked out of highschool due being lazy, smart and angry kid. I didn't hit my stride until my early 20s. Without too many details, I'll just say I do just fine.

You know your kids. You know who is a shitbird and who is worth your time. My teachers all knew...
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
fail them. consequences matter.

i was a shit student in HS until i realized it was unlikely i'd even get admitted to a decent college if i didnt buckle down and get my GPA to something that was at least not embarrassing. SAT test scores is all that got me into college.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry but it's high school who cares?

Even college is a joke.

I got my BA (finance) and don't use it at all.
View Quote

This. Sorry OP, but it's hardly relevant to the real world whether they pass or fail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You go to school to learn.

Part of the reason our country is where it's at is due to tough lessons not being learn. Too much hand holding, excuses and exceptions. Everyone gets a trophy.

What are you teaching them by letting them slide?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
What do the students need to show mastery in?  Deadlines or government / economics?  What were you hired to teach?

Deadlines are for the teacher, not the student.  Deadlines let the teacher ignore late work.  You don't have to ignore late work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
My 12th grade English teacher only passed me in her class so I could ship out for Navy Boot Camp instead of repeat the class.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, but even if they get an A it's really only counts for like 87 points

Or whatever
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Only passed high school by earning bonus points for learning HTML.

Now it pays for my mortgage and my ammo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just such a slacker my Senior year. If not for some very kindhearted teachers I never would have graduated. That said all of my “make it or break it” assignments were turned in on time, and done to perfection.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned absolutely nothing in high school. My freshman year I barely passed. My sophomore year the only class I passed was gym. My junior year I spent in a behavioral class. Senior year half day behavioral class other half I went to work for a plumbing company. The behavioral class consisted of watching movies, playing board games, and chewing tobacco.

They literally gave me a diploma I think just to get me out of there. I know I didn't pass anything to earn it.

I'm now 32, 6 kids, a stay at home wife who homeschools the school age kiddos, own my own plumbing business, and do alright.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
As one of the kids who would have pulled this shit.  

F them, F them long time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#19]
i was the king of slacking through school.

I would have shown up to your exam and at least gotten a c if not an a and slept/talked through a lot of your classes. Fuck you if you want me to do homework though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
High school slacker here.  

Graduated in the early 90's for reference.  

I did almost zero assignments, but at that time at my high school the grading was structured in a way that if you could ace the tests you could pass almost any class without ever turning in a single assignment.  And once I figured that out, I got C's and D's, and the occasional A (mechanics) or B (literature; I've always enjoyed reading).  School at that time seemed like a fucking joke to me where we had to all wait up for the dumbest fucking kids in every class.  At that point it just became a place to see my friends.  

After high school I headed to the local community college.  Guess what I did there?  I fucked around and did no assignments and for the most part showed up to class whenever I felt like it.  Within two months I was straight up a fucking community college drop out.  I told my dad, and he gave me a very firm but not angry pull-your-head-out-of-your-ass talk that ended with, "I've got more work than I can handle alone.  On Monday you'll come to work with me."  And I did.  That was 29 years and seven months ago.  I've stuck with it, and last year I made well more than the current principal does today at my high school, and I'm talking the entire compensation package, not just salary.  That's not too much of a brag, though.  If the last sixty days are any indication, the principal there will outpace me this year for sure thanks to FJB's weapons-grade incompetence.  

This is all to say, some kids will figure it out, some won't.  You're their teacher, so I would expect you have some idea as to whether or not passing them would be a benefit or hindrance.  For me, being able to slide through did me no real favors.  It caught up to me, luckily at a point in time that was not past any line in the sand where recovering from my own dipshittery was very difficult.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Stupid and lazy should hurt.  I was cut some slack once on college, but I also had the top grade in that class.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I was worthless in school and thinking back on it I don't even know how I graduated.

Grew up very quickly when I hit the yellow footprints and now I'm a changed person. Sometimes it just takes something drastic to break the cycle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I did as little as possible in highschool. It was mostly a waste of my time. I had close to a 4.0. most classes I could skim the text book in a few hours and pass the final.  I am going to assume most of these students aren't on the same side of the bell curve as me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope.  If they can't at least commit themselves to a C average then they don't deserve it.  When I was in high school I gave very little fucks but gave enough fucks to maintain a C average and graduate.  I was also not a trouble maker or anything so my teachers were generally pretty lax with me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I know for a fact I would have preferred a daily beating for a week over doing an essay at that age. No internet back than though. I knew the consequences of everything I did or did not do back then and never expected anything less as an outcome other than that which I knew would happen.
I can't deny I might have received a blessing from a teacher or two of a higher grade not earned to get me by but there was something turned in to write the grade on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
High school is for babysitting until you get to 18.

The achievers can use their time to learn something and get into college.

The under-acheivers don't care. Get them graduated and into the real world. That is where they will learn real life consequences. Keeping them in the bubble wrapped life of school even longer just promotes further babysitting.

ETA waste of post 69
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I voted before I read the post. Should have voted no. Sounds like they have had enough chances.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I dropped out of high school. I went to private school from 6-8 then engineering magnet school 9-11. Then public school in the 12th. It was like doing shit from the 6th grade again. Got my GED and then in 2 years I had a job making 4 times minimum wage and never looked back. I was ahead in credits so my senior year was 2 hours of auto mechanics which I liked, 2 hours of welding, and then 1 hour of English and out at noon.

For my GED it was the first time we had to write an essay. Pick for or against the new lottery being for education. The lady giving the test read mine after I finished and she was like "ummm okay". Got a 99 but I don't think she was ready for "it's a giant waste"
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
My GPA was a 1.9, below state standards.  I hated school, but worked two jobs, not because my family was poor, I just hated school.  Enlisted in the Marines, and 20 years later, became a special snowflake with a Masters without a Lower degree. Never lied, but didn’t volunteer information.

I retired as a diplomat, from a posting that was in the top tier from State.  I won

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#32]
It’s an 8 page essay.

One kid who didn’t do anything all semester just told me his mom was diagnosed with myeloma and he had to step up in helping her and working a job to support the family, he’s the oldest.

He was 30 minutes late. I’ll allow it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Companies hiring "ditch diggers" are going to require a work ethic.  

Making excuse for not getting the work done will get you fired.

So yes, the world needs underground construction, but these kids ain't it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The World Needs Ditch Diggers…

That said I would give some of them a chance *if* you think they can.

I was a HS Slacker. I’m a very hard worker when paid with dollars and not doing bs busy work assignments. Made $98k last year. Not rich by arfcom standards though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I did not like teachers at all that couldn't give a practical example of use of something they were teaching. I did great in geometry and trig and use it every day in work. A lot of teachers were "it's required to graduate" and that was the end of whatever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would give them a midnight deadline/grace period for tomorrow.  See who stays home to get it done on a Saturday.

I understand the frustration, but that's literally taking a year of someone's life away if you fail them.
View Quote

Wow. No, it’s not “taking” a year away.

1. There’s summer school. They’re one class short? Enjoy spending your summer to graduate alone in August, slacker. That’s a good life lesson.

2. Nothing is being taken. A diploma is earned. It’s “taken” from the school via your effort. You’ve already built in the entitlement with your position.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's an 8 page essay.

One kid who didn't do anything all semester just told me his mom was diagnosed with myeloma and he had to step up in helping her and working a job to support the family, he's the oldest.

He was 30 minutes late. I'll allow it.

View Quote
Yea that wouldn't have happened    
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Somewhere there should be caring parents that know this is the last chance but I bet they don't care either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bring the trades back to HS’s.

Not everyone learns from a book.

I struggled in HS. Once I barely got through, I thrived in the trades.

These days I would make many of my former teachers very proud, or jealous.

Bring the fucking trades back, NOW!
View Quote

Hear hear!

I fucking hated school and got shit for grades.  But I aced the shop classes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most didn't do 1 assignment.

Did I or did they take their own year away?

View Quote
If they didn't do a single assignment, there's no helping them. They don't care, and neither do whoever their adults are. Pass or fail, it likely doesn't matter what you do. As long as administration doesn't shit on you for doing your job, I'd let them have what they earned.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I graduated 4th in my HS class. Should have been 1st but they gave the same weight to band/choir as they did to Chem/Math/ Physics. No matter,,I retired at fifty and at the ripe old age of 68 I'm learning how to use my new plasma cutter and and I'm about to buy a dedicated aluminum welder. All the "hard' classes in HS were easy for me. The "fun" stuff was in Ag/shop class.

Being in a small rural HS was the best thing my folks could have possibly done for me. When I got to college I already KNEW I'd be self employed and that having a "career" working for the man wasn't in the cards for me. Tomorrow I'm making a new umbrella stand for the pool deck table with the cutter. Gonna have a good time. Next I'm hopping in the Jon boat and painting all the steel plates around my lake getting ready for my Son to visit. Maybe I'll cast a Hula Popper for a while.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's an 8 page essay.

One kid who didn't do anything all semester just told me his mom was diagnosed with myeloma and he had to step up in helping her and working a job to support the family, he's the oldest.

He was 30 minutes late. I'll allow it.

View Quote
with maybe the exception of that example letting them slide isn't doing them any favors

I wasn't really a slacker but coasted through high school, and was totally unprepared for college
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Give them another chance. I got quite a few in high school. I always had a girlfriend that would do my projects/book reports/etc. for me if I said I had to stay home and finish instead of taking her to a school dance or one of her friend's parties that would make her look like a loser if she didn't have a boy there with her. The 80's were weird like that for social status.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I was "socially promoted" out of high school around 1987. I did do well in auto shop and drafting...
School sucked, the kids sucked, it was boring and I didn't even show up frequently.
I do quite well now.
I got to take care of a teacher who lied to get me expelled from a private "christian" school when I still cared for patients. That was hilarious. She was terrified!
We homeschool. Both my kids have a high 3.x average and will graduate high school with an  associates degrees next year.
Education in general population at a bricks and mortar school is bullshit and hopefully on it's way out except for the crotchfruit from the scum of the country.
Get an online school job OP!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I was a slacker and know for a fact that some people have to learn the hard way.

Now ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

. I’m a very hard worker when paid with dollars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The World Needs Ditch Diggers…

That said I would give some of them a chance *if* you think they can.

. I’m a very hard worker when paid with dollars.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#46]
FPNI

Fuckem…..choices, consequences.

The real world is a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I was a slacker, mainly due to the fact that high school is bullshit. Anything beyond Sophmore year was shit you'll never really apply, it was all stuff to look good on a college resume. I passed by the skin on my teeth, once I graduated things got good, real good for me. Never spent a day in college and I'm happy with where I'm at. Some people just dont conform to the standards but if you give them something they are interested in they'll bust their ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FPNI

Fuckem…..choices, consequences.

The real world is a motherfucker.
View Quote

However, it's not the real world.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I learned that actions have consequences, they can too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I slacked, but shit, I showed up and had my assignments turned in on time. Damn those kids are sorry as hell.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top