Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Better than the Spanish/Tuscany/colonial/greek hodgepodge that was all the rage prior to the current craftsman/farmhouse rage.

It gets ugly when people with the hodgepodge update by adding farmhouse to the hodgepodge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I will take modern farmhouse over that awful oak everything look that from a while back.

The only thing that bugs me about modern farmhouse is the farmhouse sink. I don't want to see the front of the sink.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It beats the hell out of minimalistic brutalism.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tuscan themed McMansions FTW!
View Quote

We went Tuscan, but no mansion.

Politically, it's American Conservative Capitalist... built with 100% cash and zero mortgage payments.

If you don't like the world... build your own.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Once a trend reaches this level of notice and complaint, it is going to be on the way out.

I saw this shit starting YEARS ago in GA, on expensive homes (it works well in large spaces and with quality parts).....
But now it is being used on cookie cutter shit homes. That is the death knell of a trend.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Midcentury Modern is what we've got at casa de Joker.

I'm never going to give it up. Everyday it's like visiting grandma's house or stepping onto the set of Mad Men.
View Quote

I love MCM architecture but I am not a fan of MCM furniture.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I picture half of you talking with a lisp right now.

... and watching way too much television.

That shit will rot your brain.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
If you’ve got kids, it’s just asking for it looking like crap in no time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it okay if my shitty farmhouse has been a shitty farmhouse for 170 years?
or do I need to tear everything out and make it look like the set of Frasier?
View Quote

Same thing I was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
LOL.....You guys will bitch about anything
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I love MCM architecture but I am not a fan of MCM furniture.
View Quote

Both are my preferred style. I can understand complaints about the comfort of the furniture though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
But is shiplap okay?...
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The middle age ladies love that shit though. The white paint they use sucks. Wears too easy.

If it makes the bride happy, what the hell why not. Its growing on me. I’ll say that. I do know for a fact though that I do not miss the real light wood colors from the 90s.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea what it is. I don’t even know if not knowing makes me blissfully ignorant or just plain ignorant.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My house is grey inside, but that's because i have 18' ceilings and tons of windows. Darker colors are useful for contrast in big bright rooms. Then again, I also have really nice cofferred ceilings and trim work too, so it all works well together.
View Quote

We mounted our TV lower down at eye level for more comfortable viewing. We also keep a cover on it.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you’ve got kids, it’s just asking for it looking like crap in no time.
View Quote

My house is decorated in Middle-Young-Child-Chaos and ChitEverywhere.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

TV is way too high
View Quote

What's crazy is that it's technically 7" below the VESA standard height based on tv size and viewing distance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank them.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never liked it, and It was very much a woman driven fad. All of the tackyness of goodwill asthetics without the actual hardships and poverty.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My house is grey inside, but that's because i have 18' ceilings and tons of windows. Darker colors are useful for contrast in big bright rooms. Then again, I also have really nice cofferred ceilings and trim work too, so it all works well together.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20210406_163533-2389227.jpg
View Quote
That rug really pulls the room together.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I too have 14’ tall coffered ceilings. Unfortunately, my walls are builder beige and tray are painted a dark brown. I want a change and have thought about a great like yours. Don’t let the uncultured get you down about your mirror … they don’t understand aesthetics and how it helps with light in a room.

As for OPs rant, will someone tell grandpa to get off the internet and get him some Metamucil already.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Plenty of stupid decorating trends before them.  They just managed to make good on it and good for them.

Unlike the decorating style, she seems high maintenance.  Chip seems chill, however.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Stop killing my bandwidth with all the examples, OP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Does it matter if our contemporary farmhouse is really a farmhouse?

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I do not care how you decorate it, just stop knocking down all the walls and painting brick. I want my living room separate from my dining room.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't much care.
View Quote

This.

My wife keeps a clean, orderly house that smells like cookies or cake most of the time.

She can decorate it however she wants and burn all the candles she wants. As long as she leaves my office alone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1, 2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Uhhhh, the one on the left has a penis.  But not that there's anything wrong with that.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've told my wife that "Farm house" means really shitty paint/finish job from what I can tell. That if she wants to decorate a room or the house as "Farmhouse" then I'm gonna do some "Farmhouse" drywall and flooring work.
View Quote

I made this to replace one of those kid gates, we use it to keep the dogs out of most of the house. The finish actually took a lot of work. It would have been easier just to paint it white.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Uhhhh, the one on the left has a penis.  But not that there's anything wrong with that.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kharn

Dudes that dig shabby chic dig chicks with dicks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But is shiplap okay?...
View Quote

It's fine if you don't simultaneously roll your eyes about how dated 1970s wood paneling looks.

I don't understand it, but it's better than painting over perfectly good brick, my current pet peeve.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must be tough to shave in the morning, stretch
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Eh, I like patina
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's fine if you don't simultaneously roll your eyes about how dated 1970s wood paneling looks.

I don't understand it, but it's better than painting over perfectly good brick, my current pet peeve.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But is shiplap okay?...

Lol.

Sorry the painted brick doesn't match your pressed wood paneling any more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]
WTF is non mitered trim? Trying to envision it but can't.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LOL.....You guys will bitch about anything
View Quote

I came here to post this.

I have never thought to create a post in Arfcom to gripe about architecture. I think I need a simpler life or something.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Farmhouse is a rejection of 80s-90s Maximalist Mcmansion.  Maximalist is a rejection of Midcentury, which came about due to shortages of traditional building materials in Europe post WWII.  Anyway, Midcentury had some very practical and cool design themes, and I also can't wait until Farmhouse is relegated to history.
View Quote

This, end thread
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I too have 14’ tall coffered ceilings. Unfortunately, my walls are builder beige and tray are painted a dark brown. I want a change and have thought about a great like yours. Don’t let the uncultured get you down about your mirror … they don’t understand aesthetics and how it helps with light in a room.

As for OPs rant, will someone tell grandpa to get off the internet and get him some Metamucil already.
View Quote

That mirror feels like it's damn near load bearing. It has 3 giant steel brackets and it's 12' tall. I'm imagining they flew it in with a crane before the roof was finished.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I like the trend towards gray colors, it blends well with my gray beard.  I was tired of the 1990’s trend of various shades of tans/neutral browns and greens.

My favorite color of gray used to be Confederate gray, but no one calls it that anymore due to feelz.  It also used to called rebel gray, but some criminal pedophile used that as his screen name on arfcom. F’er spoiled that name for everyone.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I’d love an old-styled mansion, with 70’s looking wood panel and patterned wallpaper interior.

A Resident Evil mansion.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
WTF is non mitered trim? Trying to envision it but can't.
View Quote

It's the simple boxing in of windows and doors with casing that is the same on all 3 or 4 sides with all corners mitered. That vs actual traditional trim styles where the only miters are outside corners of the base boards. Not sure how that is an upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Simple principle - avoid fake anything - wood, distressed, fur, art, etc. Avoid trends. Most of us who think we do still get caught up in them. Every trend usually has some elements worth adapting, but don't get carried away on the latest "themes" marketed on TV.

View Quote

True.  Avoid trends.  They always fad to the next trend.  Pick what you like and go with it.
My preference is Mid-Century Modern and somewhat minimalistic.  Your preferences may differ.

On a side note, most people can't decorate for shit.  Men admit it.  Women won't.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#46]
The fad that annoys me is when people paint all the walls in the same room different colors. Or paint different rooms in their house different colors. It's looks fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#47]
What if I live in a 1841 farmhouse. And my wife and I are updating it while keeping the original character and feel? Are we guilty? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't get me started on painting brick, TV above fireplace, different colored rooms, different colored blinds, etc.  All rookie mistakes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
The worst "trend" that sucks in real life is the open floor plan.

Pushed every time on HGTV, and bragged about in listings.

No. Open floor plans limit privacy and are EXTREMELY loud. If you want to try to watch TV while your spouse is 8 feet behind you in the "kitchen area" running a mixer or even running water in the sink, good luck to you.

Walls have purpose. Especially with controlling sound.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta have high ceilings, at least 10 feet. My old apartment did and it was great. My new one does not and it kinda feels like living in a box.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top