BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m barely 5’9” and the DR650 set to the lowest height was doable but not super comfortable.
View Quote

You must have a short inseam. I am between 5-9.5 and 5-10 and my DR in stock form has both feet with solid balls and maybe a little more of my feet down. Are you on stock suspension, Is your preload too high?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
How about some of the SM bikes? Having 17" wheels they have a lower seat height. The older Kawi klx250s IIRC.

Or the new klx300 or crf300 with dropped forks and a lowering link.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My KLX300 Seat height is listed as 35.5 but when I sit on it the springs/shocks "settle" and I am almost flat footed on both feet and I am 5 8 and 180lbs.

I suspect that the 250 would be the same.

If you are really interested in this bike I would meet him asap with the $4500 in your pocket.

Have you actually heard back from the seller? I have no doubt that he can get the full price if it has not already sold.

In today's market that is not a bad price.

The only thing that might make it worth less is that it has an aftermarket muffler (may or may not be an advantage) and it looks pretty scratched up.

They must have ridden it pretty hard for those 300 miles.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My KLX300 Seat height is listed as 35.5 but when I sit on it the springs/shocks "settle" and I am almost flat footed on both feet and I am 5 8 and 180lbs.

I suspect that the 250 would be the same.

If you are really interested in this bike I would meet him asap with the $4500 in your pocket.

Have you actually heard back from the seller? I have no doubt that he can get the full price if it has not already sold.

In today's market that is not a bad price.

The only thing that might make it worth less is that it has an aftermarket muffler (may or may not be an advantage) and it looks pretty scratched up.

They must have ridden it pretty hard for those 300 miles.

Yes, seller responded just saying Saturday at noon was fine but to contact in the morning to ensure the bike hadn't been sold.  Have to take my GT in for inspection and some recall issue this afternoon at 2:30pm but I might drive over after that and take a look.  While I do have $1k on my which would serve fine as a deposit, I don't typically have $5k in my pocket but it's not an issue to grab it at home.  So unless there's some reason $1k wouldn't serve to say "I'll take it"...I should be good.  

I listened to the Two Brother's exhaust on a KLX250 on youtube and while I know it's not a 100% reliable way to do it, it does make it sound noticeable smoother.  

I did notice that about all the scratches but I'm led to believe these bikes are commonly laid down on trails.  Do riders tend to treat them like a 10 year old's BMX and just drop them whenever?  

Given everything seen in the way of miles, condition, etc.....what and where do I want to look on this bike to check for issues/problems/damage?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about some of the SM bikes? Having 17" wheels they have a lower seat height. The older Kawi klx250s IIRC.

Or the new klx300 or crf300 with dropped forks and a lowering link.
View Quote

I'm looking at a 2018 KLX250 tonight or tomorrow.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not a dual sport, not street legal, not 28"-30", and I'm not a toddler.
View Quote
You are complaining about having 5-7 inches less below the belt than many of us.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You are complaining about having 5-7 inches less below the belt than many of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a dual sport, not street legal, not 28"-30", and I'm not a toddler.

I dunno about that.  On a good night I'm definitely in the upper half of that range.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on FB and I just typed in "dual sport" in the search bar and I see some options but most don't have their location on the ad.  Where do I click to see where they are?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm on FB and I just typed in "dual sport" in the search bar and I see some options but most don't have their location on the ad.  Where do I click to see where they are?

Thanks!
View Quote

Give us a zip code to work with or the nearest town of any size. You can adjust the search area on Facebook market place on the upper left and set the miles you want it to search in. You need to search for individual models rather than something general like dual sport, which may turn up some but miss others.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Give us a zip code to work with or the nearest town of any size. You can adjust the search area on Facebook market place on the upper left and set the miles you want it to search in. You need to search for individual models rather than something general like dual sport, which may turn up some but miss others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

My zip is 18017

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate the pics.  I saw some of them in searching.  Limit is going to be $5k budget-wise.  Prefer 5yrs old or newer.  

Oddly enough, and somewhat unrelated, but I did find a Grom the next town over earlier this morning.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I did notice that about all the scratches but I'm led to believe these bikes are commonly laid down on trails.  Do riders tend to treat them like a 10 year old's BMX and just drop them whenever?  

Given everything seen in the way of miles, condition, etc.....what and where do I want to look on this bike to check for issues/problems/damage?

Thanks!
View Quote

The ad states that the bike was used for trail riding so they may have ridden through a lot of thick brush or they were getting hit by a lot of branches. I have about 900 miles on mine and I have ridden some fairly gnarly trails and it does have some similar scratches.

I did notice that it has some pretty aggressive tires. They would be great for off road but are not the best for pavement, especially wet pavement and will not last very long for pavement use.

I doubt those were the OEM tires (could be wrong though) and since the original tires couldn't have had many miles on them they may still have the originals also, same may apply to the muffler.

Also there are no mirrors on the bike in the photos. It should have come with them.

It has less than 300 miles but is several years old, hopefully they have changed the oil and filter but probably not a big deal if they haven't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The ad states that the bike was used for trail riding so they may have ridden through a lot of thick brush or they were getting hit by a lot of branches. I have about 900 miles on mine and I have ridden some fairly gnarly trails and it does have some similar scratches.

I did notice that it has some pretty aggressive tires. They would be great for off road but are not the best for pavement, especially wet pavement and will not last very long for pavement use.

I doubt those were the OEM tires (could be wrong though) and since the original tires couldn't have had many miles on them they may still have the originals also, same may apply to the muffler.

Also there are no mirrors on the bike in the photos. It should have come with them.

It has less than 300 miles but is several years old, hopefully they have changed the oil and filter but probably not a big deal if they haven't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Did even notice it's missing mirrors!!

I can ask where the mirrors are and if he has the original tires.  As for the scratches, he can make up any story he wants so that's why I asked here to see what everyone thought.  

Appreciate the insight!  

EDIT:  If he doesn't have the tires, what would a set of 75%+ street tires run me?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP, dozens of people have suggested at least 10 different bikes to you, all of which have been reviewed ad nauseum on YouTube.

You could spend 15 minutes on your regional metro area craigslists and see what these list for used, and how many miles the older ones get.

Three threads is trolling. You have your crowd sourced answer. At this point you deserve a China bike.
View Quote

I feel you, I ve been in countless arguments on multiple platforms trying to steer people away from chicom trash.
At this point I am sick of it, buy whatever you want, but there is a reason they are so cheap
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Thoughts??

2016 Honda CRF

Another 250, not my color taste but whatever.  A couple years older than the KLX250, thousands of miles instead of a few hundred, but price is similar.  And people seem to idolize Honda so maybe it'll be passed on to my kid's grandchildren?

Please share your thoughts/observations on the bike.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thoughts??

2016 Honda CRF

Another 250, not my color taste but whatever.  A couple years older than the KLX250, thousands of miles instead of a few hundred, but price is similar.  And people seem to idolize Honda so maybe it'll be passed on to my kid's grandchildren?

Thanks!
View Quote

I am going to very, very patiently try this again.

What do you want this bike for. Do you want to ride dirt with it? Do you want to ride pavement with it?

You have a $5000 Budget. Do you have a *good* Helmet? ACTUAL Motocross / Offroad Boots? Chest protector? Knee Braces? Goggles?

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What do you want this bike for. Do you want to ride dirt with it? Do you want to ride pavement with it?

You have a $5000 Budget. Do you have a *good* Helmet? ACTUAL Motocross / Offroad Boots? Chest protector? Knee Braces?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thoughts??

2016 Honda CRF

Thanks!

You have a $5000 Budget. Do you have a *good* Helmet? ACTUAL Motocross / Offroad Boots? Chest protector? Knee Braces?

Try again?  I said this several times throughout the thread.  

Short errands around town and strapped to a trailer hitch for spare vehicle on trips.  95% of the time on pavement.  Might try a trail or two.  

2-3 year old HJC sitting in the closet.  Worn once or twice.  Also have my riding jacket, gloves, and boots.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I missed that part before.  

I'm with the guy who said Honda Trail 125.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Try again?  I said this several times throughout the thread.  

Short errands around town and strapped to a trailer hitch for spare vehicle on trips.  95% of the time on pavement.  Might try a trail or two.  

2-3 year old HJC sitting in the closet.  Worn once or twice.  Also have my riding jacket, gloves, and boots.
View Quote

You need to be more specific. Are you bopping around Philadelphia? Are you going to try to get on the interstate with it to hit the next town over? Are you trying to ride heavily manicured gravel roads through state forests? Do you want to try to take it into the woods and do trail rides?

Let's start with your gear:
Your riding jacket will be useless on trails. It will be way, way too hot, and will provide protection from a style of crash you will not have on a trail (high speed skid/slide). If you want to be a very quick heat casualty, wear the jacket. I've seen people get heat stroke on trail rides wearing nothing more than a thin motocross jersey

You have "boots." Are they motocross boots, or work boots? Don't wear work boots on a dirt bike of any sort. You'll break your leg (tib/fib) or your ankle. I have seen it personally twice, and I've been riding off-road  for about 2 years

You have "gloves". They're probably fine.

Knowledge:
A dual sport dirt bike is a miserable bike on pavement and too heavy for dirt. If you want a bike to bop around town and ride around the farm - I it's fine. The moment you take it on a highway; you'll regret it. They're a twitchy mess at highway speed, no matter what every KLR owner will tell you.

Beyond gravel roads, if terrain gets shitty - 75% pavement tires will be suck, bad.

I have experience.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You need to be more specific. Are you bopping around Philadelphia? Are you going to try to get on the interstate with it to hit the next town over? Are you trying to ride heavily manicured gravel roads through state forests? Do you want to try to take it into the woods and do trail rides?

Your riding jacket will be useless on trails. It will be way, way too hot, and will provide protection from a style of crash you will not have on a trail (high speed skid/slide). If you want to be a very quick heat casualty, wear the jacket. I've seen people get heat stroke on trail rides wearing nothing more than a thin motocross jersey

You have "boots." Are they motocross boots, or work boots? Don't wear work boots on a dirt bike of any sort. You'll break your leg (tib/fib) or your ankle. I have seen it personally twice, and I've been riding off-road  for about 2 years

Knowledge:
A dual sport dirt bike is a miserable bike on pavement and too heavy for dirt. If you want a bike to bop around town and ride around the farm - I it's fine. The moment you take it on a highway; you'll regret it. They're a twitchy mess at highway speed, no matter what every KLR owner will tell you.

Beyond gravel roads, if terrain gets shitty - 75% pavement tires will be suck, bad.

I have experience.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/5468983F-95F5-481F-B64E-415C2B45F0F5_jpe-2390568.JPG

View Quote

Or...treat it like an adv bike.
Tons of people wear Gortex even in the summer and even off road. Personally I wear my Kevlar mesh suit everywhere for three seasons and my Gortex suit in winter. A dual sport tire like the Shinko 705 are more than fine for what most do when they say things like "gravel road". As for dual sports being miserable on the road I find it to be just the opposite if we are talking about most of the popular ones. Having had three KLRs, a DR now as well as many other bikes I strongly disagree with them being twitchy on the highway. Now if we are talking about what is essentially plated dirt bikes I definitely agree.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Tons of people wear Gortex even in the summer and even off road. Personally I wear my Kevlar mesh suit everywhere for three seasons and my Gortex suit in winter. A dual sport tire like the Shinko 705 are more than fine for what most do when they say things like "gravel road". As for dual sports being miserable on the road I find it to be just the opposite if we are talking about most of the popular ones. Having had three KLRs, a DR now as well as many other bikes I strongly disagree with them being twitchy on the highway. Now if we are talking about what is essentially plated dirt bikes I definitely agree.

View Quote

You couldn't get a KLR where that picture was taken, nor an Africa Twin - and you sure as fuck couldn't get it out.

OP needs to tell us specifically what he wants. A dual sport bike is not an adventure bike; and the KLR is good at being mediocre or actively bad at everything it is pressed into service doing.

My recommendation is that if he wants to ride dirt, he find an older XR400R/XR250R with a street legal title. It'll be about $2500 and will handle dirt and gravel much, much better than any of the 300L's and DRZ's people have mentioned. He can then spend the money left over on a hood helmet and a set of Dirt Bike boots. I would put a set of Kenda Trailmaster's on it. 95/5% - used for those quick bebop's from the camp site into town or to cross a 1 mile road section to go from trail to trail.

If he wants to ride street, buy a street bike. There are lots of good options. Harley, Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha all make great options. A Grom would be low on this selection, because it's small and comically underpowered; and a trip on the interstate sounds miserable on something that small.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  

Thanks!
View Quote

First thing I always check is the air filter.  Is it clean?  If they can’t be bothered to keep up with AF maintenance, what else are they neglecting?

Next thing I check is proper chain slack and sprocket wear.  I check these for the same reason I check for a reasonably clean AF.

Then I put it up on a stand and check wheel bearing wobble.  Not a big deal if there is a little bit of wobble as wheel bearings are cheap and easy to replace, but again, it gives you an overall good idea of how well the bike has been maintained.

Personally, I keep a log of everything I do to my bikes based on the hours on the hour meter, but I realize not everyone does this.  If the seller has his logs it more than likely been very well taken care of.

ETA:  I wouldn’t worry too much about the scratches in the plastic.  Very normal if it has been trail ridden.  New plastics are super cheap if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Knowledge:

I have experience.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247228/5468983F-95F5-481F-B64E-415C2B45F0F5_jpe-2390568.JPG

View Quote

x2 on this

If you want to just scoot around town, staying off the highway and occasionally wander down a flat dirt road, the dual sport will be just fine.
However it is important to note that a used honda shadow would be just as effective

If you are actually going offroad you need to invest in making both you and the bike crash resistant, additionally "dual sport" tires are miserable offroad
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You couldn't get a KLR where that picture was taken, nor an Africa Twin - and you sure as fuck couldn't get it out.

OP needs to tell us specifically what he wants. A dual sport bike is not an adventure bike; and the KLR is good at being mediocre or actively bad at everything it is pressed into service doing.
View Quote

I don’t know what you want. He has repeatedly said occasional dirt roads.

And that horrible KLR has hauled my ass all through Mexico and Central America and was fantastic at it.

Is there something more to that ride I am not seeing that you think is going to prevent a KLR from getting there? I assume there  is some tough terrain before this pic? If so then yea, the KLR is not made for single track, but can do it. It’s just a lot more work than anyone wants.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'll be riding on 100% paved roads.  Speed limits ranging from 35-55.  Two lane highways at most but no interstates/turnpikes where <80mph gets you run over.  Environment will be mostly suburban with main streets mixed in.  This will be used with a backpack to go get ingredients for dinner or to carry odds and ends from one home to another.  Maximum distance would be around 20 miles.  However, the average distance will be 2-3 miles with 20 being a few times a year.  I only ride on dry pavement above 50 degrees.  If this still needs clarifying, let me know.  

I appreciate the concern by that's not how my mind works.  I focus on one thing at a time otherwise I'll go off on some side road.  

After I buy the bike then I can upgrade my gear piece by piece as needed.

Knowledge:

While I've wanted a dual sport for 20 years this is causing me to second guess that and go back to searching for a Grom, Z125, TNT135, etc....which would let me do the same thing (errands, hitch haul it) but not go off roading or navigate around/over fallen trees after a storm (random but I remember wanting a dual sport BADLY after Hurricane Sandy when my town looked like a scene from the Walking Dead.

I have experience.

View Quote

Please let me know if anything else needs clarifying.  

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

First thing I always check is the air filter.  Is it clean?  If they can’t be bothered to keep up with AF maintenance, what else are they neglecting?

Next thing I check is proper chain slack and sprocket wear.  I check these for the same reason I check for a reasonably clean AF.

Then I put it up on a stand and check wheel bearing wobble.  Not a big deal if there is a little bit of wobble as wheel bearings are cheap and easy to replace, but again, it gives you an overall good idea of how well the bike has been maintained.

Personally, I keep a log of everything I do to my bikes based on the hours on the hour meter, but I realize not everyone does this.  If the seller has his logs it more than likely been very well taken care of.

ETA:  I wouldn’t worry too much about the scratches in the plastic.  Very normal if it has been trail ridden.  New plastics are super cheap if it bothers you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

Thanks!

I can apply this to the CRF I posted above but the KLX is sold.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Knowledge:

I have experience.

View Quote

The KLX300 and the Honda CRF the OP is looking at are certainly not too heavy for dirt. He said he "may" ride a few trails not take it on a motocross track.

Also, since any off road is going to be rare and if he is not riding hard and fast he doesn't need the same gear that motocross or enduro racers are going to need.

The KLX and the CRF will do fine on the pavement and would be very comfortable at 45 to 55 type speeds and would actually be fun on some nice twisty roads.

I would not want to spend much on the highways going 65/70. I have done it and its not bad for short stretches but for me would not be fun for any length of time.

I will agree that 75% pavement tires are not going to be great in loose dirt/sand/mud but will go pretty good on gravel and mild dry trails. I have ridden a street bike with 100% street tires on gravel and dirt with no problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't know what you want. He has repeatedly said occasional dirt roads.

And that horrible KLR has hauled my ass all through Mexico and Central America and was fantastic at it.

Is there something more to that ride I am not seeing that you think is going to prevent a KLR from getting there? I assume there  is some tough terrain before this pic? If so then yea, the KLR is not made for single track, but can do it. It's just a lot more work than anyone wants.
View Quote

The whole thing was an old fire road that turned into single track and then the trail completely disappeared, and then I rode down the side of a mountain. It was marked on an old map as a dual sport trail. It was in no way suitable for any sort of adventure or dual sport bike.

what kind of dirt road really matters. has it seen maintenance ever? are you going to have a suspended log crossing? does water lay there? taking a 75% street tire into a seemingly dry trail that turns into a clay mud pit is a really quick way to end up stranded.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, watch from about 1:15-1:30. If you don't plan in riding anything more off road than this any of the bike mentioned will eat it up like it is nothing and much more. I suspect this is more than you are even planning at this point.

KLR650 "Battle Born" Adventure Motorcycle Ride
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My recommendation is that if he wants to ride dirt, he find an older XR400R/XR250R with a street legal title. It'll be about $2500 and will handle dirt and gravel much, much better than any of the 300L's and DRZ's people have mentioned. He can then spend the money left over on a hood helmet and a set of Dirt Bike boots. I would put a set of Kenda Trailmaster's on it. 95/5% - used for those quick bebop's from the camp site into town or to cross a 1 mile road section to go from trail to trail.

If he wants to ride street, buy a street bike. There are lots of good options. Harley, Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha all make great options. A Grom would be low on this selection, because it's small and comically underpowered; and a trip on the interstate sounds miserable on something that small.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason to go pure street bike as opposed to dual sport or pocket would be if I had no interest in carrying with us on trips (trailer hitch carrier....and no this doesn't need to turn into a hitch carrier thread).  So while it's rated at 400 and my hitch is rated at 500 I'd like to stay as close to 300 as possible.  So if not a dual and not a pocket.....what exactly do you suggest that's in that weight range, under $5k, less than 10 years old (being generous), and can carry 175lbs of me and 90lbs of my son at 45mph or so?  

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Please let me know if anything else needs clarifying.  

Thanks

View Quote
Check the update to that post, I made some updates on what I would personally look at
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The whole thing was an old fire road that turned into single track and then the trail completely disappeared, and then I rode down the side of a mountain. It was marked on an old map as a dual sport trail. It was in no way suitable for any sort of adventure or dual sport bike.

what kind of dirt road really matters. has it seen maintenance ever? are you going to have a suspended log crossing? does water lay there? taking a 75% street tire into a seemingly dry trail that turns into a clay mud pit is a really quick way to end up stranded.
View Quote

I wouldn't suggest you do much travelling south of the border. You don't ever know what is around the bend on the trail or what you will run into as far as road conditions.

ETA: that came of more snarky than I meant it to. I am just saying that ADV riding is a crap shoot and you deal with what you have. Its just like the trip we have coming up on the TAT, I think we have all struggled on tires for the western states. I will be on 50/50 tires or even 60/40 but the rest of the trip will be much less aggressive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

...the KLX is sold.  

Thanks
View Quote

In this market if you see something you think you might want you better jump on it.

Anything that is in decent shape and at a decent price will go quickly.

I drove 6 hours to buy a KTM a little over a year ago and sold it to someone that lived even further away.

I lucked up and found my KLX in stock only 1.5 hours away but I had to pay full msrp + fees

Yes, that sucked but nobody that had one in stock within driving distance would even consider less since they can get it without any problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there something more to that ride I am not seeing that you think is going to prevent a KLR from getting there? I assume there  is some tough terrain before this pic? If so then yea, the KLR is not made for single track, but can do it. It's just a lot more work than anyone wants.

Maybe it would help to share I've NEVER ridden a dual on any trails, ever.  All of my experience has been on pavement and gravel.  So talking about fire roads and motocross trails, you may as well be speaking Dutch.  My mindset is more along the lines of...."hmm, there's a dirt road I've never gone on before, let's check it out....see if there's any fish in that stream"....not getting geared up to spend a couple days in a cannon or deep woods trail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The only reason to go pure street bike as opposed to dual sport or pocket would be if I had no interest in carrying with us on trips (trailer hitch carrier....and no this doesn't need to turn into a hitch carrier thread).  So while it's rated at 400 and my hitch is rated at 500 I'd like to stay as close to 300 as possible.  So if not a dual and not a pocket.....what exactly do you suggest that's in that weight range, under $5k, less than 10 years old (being generous), and can carry 175lbs of me and 90lbs of my son at 45mph or so?  

View Quote

almost every dual sport is going to be tipping the scales and near 350# pounds with a full tank and oil (wet). Worse yet, all the weight is up high, because typically they carry like 4 gallons of gas.

We both live in Rocksylvania. Expect a lot of clay and rocks when you take anything off road. No matter what bike you buy if you buy a dual sport, make sure you buy a bash plate.

I maintain the old XR400R, sprung to your weight and with skid plates is the way to go, if you're hell bent on something dirt oriented. It will be about 280#, and they are built like a brick shit house.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, watch from about 1:15-1:30. If you don't plan in riding anything more off road than this any of the bike mentioned will eat it up like it is nothing and much more. I suspect this is more than you are even planning at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkmZFAw9KVw
View Quote

1:20-1:30 is maxing out what I'm envisioning.  I've seen the guys that climb rock fields and mountains with these bikes....that ain't me.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Maybe it would help to share I've NEVER ridden a dual on any trails, ever.  All of my experience has been on pavement and gravel.  So talking about fire roads and motocross trails, you may as well be speaking Dutch.  My mindset is more along the lines of...."hmm, there's a dirt road I've never gone on before, let's check it out....see if there's any fish in that stream"....not getting geared up to spend a couple days in a cannon or deep woods trail.
View Quote

that's precisely how I ended up on that trail
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

1:20-1:30 is maxing out what I'm envisioning.  I've seen the guys that climb rock fields and mountains with these bikes....that ain't me.  
View Quote

Well, even a mediocre rider will find a 250 dual sport sailing over stuff like that no problem.

ETA: though it does help all around if you pay attention to your suspension set up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where judgement comes into play.

Sometimes you just have to turn around, been there and done that, especially when riding alone. If you are riding something with limitations you probably shouldn't be riding places where it is not possible to turn around.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In this market if you see something you think you might want you better jump on it.

I drove 6 hours to buy a KTM a little over a year ago and sold it to someone that lived even further away.

I lucked up and found my KLX in stock only 1.5 hours away but I had to pay full msrp + fees

Yes, that sucked but nobody that had one in stock within driving distance would even consider less since they can get it without any problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...the KLX is sold.  

Thanks

Yeah I'm seeing that, gotta jump on them.  However, to be fair, that was up for over a week.  The CRF has been up a while to.  

Unfortunately I work a REALLY busy schedule and having the time to go check out a bike is rare throughout a week.  Sundays are my only day off.  So while I can spend tonight and tomorrow afternoon stalking bikes, Sunday is already committed to being on the lake with my son.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Guy on a KLR rode both of these trails with us with no problem.

Trail 81 Cherokee National Forest Full Length from McFarland Rd HD

Unicoi Trail 82 Cherokee National Forest full length HD
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

almost every dual sport is going to be tipping the scales and near 350# pounds with a full tank and oil (wet). Worse yet, all the weight is up high, because typically they carry like 4 gallons of gas.

We both live in Rocksylvania. Expect a lot of clay and rocks when you take anything off road. No matter what bike you buy if you buy a dual sport, make sure you buy a bash plate.

I maintain the old XR400R, sprung to your weight and with skid plates is the way to go, if you're hell bent on something dirt oriented. It will be about 280#, and they are built like a brick shit house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If weight pushes it, I could always haul it with the tank low and/or just fill up when we roll into whatever town.  I normally stop at a gas station to fill up anyway.  It's just a few feet from gas cap to gas cap.  

No XR400R's for sale near me.  Anything else?  Didn't mean for this to be such a tall order.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I wouldn't suggest you do much travelling south of the border. You don't ever know what is around the bend on the trail or what you will run into as far as road conditions.

ETA: that came of more snarky than I meant it to. I am just saying that ADV riding is a crap shoot and you deal with what you have. Its just like the trip we have coming up on the TAT, I think we have all struggled on tires for the western states. I will be on 50/50 tires or even 60/40 but the rest of the trip will be much less aggressive.
View Quote

no snark understood. The KLR are really good at being good at nothing, and passable at a couple things. The drawbehind a KLR is that it is okay to do a lot of tame stuff. After you do the Doohickey mod, they're relatively tough bikes too - but they are not what I would recommend for a new rider in any type of off-road capacity, and absolutely not solo. it is way too easy to get in really far over your head in something that doesn't really even seem that dangerous at first glance, especially with no off-road experience.

OP talks like he's going to be riding solo. I also do a lot of solo riding - and if you get a big 400 pound bike stuck alone, it's stuck. It's also pretty heavy. My KTM is 226 pounds, and pulling it out of places sucks.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If weight pushes it, I could always haul it with the tank low and/or just fill up when we roll into whatever town.  I normally stop at a gas station to fill up anyway.  It's just a few feet from gas cap to gas cap.  

No XR400R's for sale near me.  Anything else?  Didn't mean for this to be such a tall order.  
View Quote

it's such a tall order because manufacturers either make bikes for full blown race performance, or they make bikes that are styled to look like offroad bikes, but really are only good for light street use and gravel roads.

You'll see that a lot with suspension offered on these bikes. Old school conventional nonadjustable forks that can't be set for rebound or compression.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

it's such a tall order because manufacturers either make bikes for full blown race performance, or they make bikes that are styled to look like offroad bikes, but really are only good for light street use and gravel roads.

You'll see that a lot with suspension offered on these bikes. Old school conventional nonadjustable forks that can't be set for rebound or compression.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but I'm still confused what you're suggesting or envisioning other than the XR for lightweight/haulable yet sufficient for mostly road use?

EDIT:  I'll add that my neighbor from Manhattan throws his Z125 in his Honda CRV and tears around NY with it using it as a spare vehicle full time WITH his wife on board without issue.  So they seem to do ok there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

no snark understood. The KLR are really good at being good at nothing, and passable at a couple things. The drawbehind a KLR is that it is okay to do a lot of tame stuff. After you do the Doohickey mod, they're relatively tough bikes too - but they are not what I would recommend for a new rider in any type of off-road capacity, and absolutely not solo. it is way too easy to get in really far over your head in something that doesn't really even seem that dangerous at first glance, especially with no off-road experience.

OP talks like he's going to be riding solo. I also do a lot of solo riding - and if you get a big 400 pound bike stuck alone, it's stuck. It's also pretty heavy. My KTM is 226 pounds, and pulling it out of places sucks.

View Quote

I don’t actually think he should get a KLR we are just debating that as it was brought up. I think an XT250 would be ideal for him. He doesn’t even plan to take it on what I or you would consider off road.

Hell, I would like to have one myself or a TW200 just as a farm bike. My DR after lightening it and then adding on racks, windshield, and a big tank is 400 pounds. It handles really well but it would be fun to have a small dual sport that was a minimal investment just to ride back to the farm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don’t actually think he should get a KLR we are just debating that as it was brought up. I think an XT250 would be ideal for him. He doesn’t even plant to take it on what I or you would consider off road.

Hell, I would like to have one myself or a TW200 just as a farm bike. My DR after lightening it and then adding on racks windshield and a big tank is 400 pounds. It handles really well but it would be fun to have a small dual sport that was a minimal investment just to ride back to the farm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t actually think he should get a KLR we are just debating that as it was brought up. I think an XT250 would be ideal for him. He doesn’t even plant to take it on what I or you would consider off road.

Hell, I would like to have one myself or a TW200 just as a farm bike. My DR after lightening it and then adding on racks windshield and a big tank is 400 pounds. It handles really well but it would be fun to have a small dual sport that was a minimal investment just to ride back to the farm.

Forgot about those two.....maybe I can hone my search a little more for these two specifically and maybe plan to make a few drives next weekend.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#49]
What vehicle are you planning on using a hitch hauler on?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What vehicle are you planning on using a hitch hauler on?
View Quote

2016 Sorento.  AWD 6cyl.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top