Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2001 12:42:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe they quit making them in the late 1980's. never heard anything real bad about them other than the receivers were on the soft side and a few people had some problems with elevation notches wearing down and having to have the m1 garand replacement elevation steal ring put on to correct this problem. shot a few when I first started highpower before I built a springfield. overall I would rate them a little above a polytech and a norinco but most definitly below a springfield. but thats just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
overall I would rate them a little above a polytech and a norinco but most definitely below a springfield. but that's just my opinion.
View Quote

You would rate a Federal Ord. over a Poly Tech or Norinco? The Fed Ords were made two ways. Either with Used G.I. parts or with Chinese parts. The Fed Ord receivers are cast just like the Springfields only they are usually soft. The Poly Tech and Norinco receivers on the other hand are hammer forged just like the U.S.G.I.. The most desirable method for manufacturing receivers. In fact the geometry of the Chinese receivers are on par with TRW receivers, arguably the bench mark for U.S.G.I. M-14 receivers. They might be on the ugly side as far as finish goes but they are bar non the best M-14 receiver you can find available to the general public. The Chinese barrels, op rods and gas systems are as good as G.I.
The stocks are junk and sometimes the bolts and hammers are softer than G.I. spec.  all are an easy fix if needed and it isn't needed nearly as often as people think. Springfield did a hatchet job on these rifles years ago that have influenced the uninformed. You can't blame them
how could they compete with a better product at less than half the price. BTW the DCM seriously considered purchasing Chinese receivers for building match rifles but didn't due to political ideoligies. Educate yourself then make an informed decision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top