Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2001 10:19:42 AM EDT
Is the State of Florida a gun friendly state? I'm talking about CCL's, AR's and other "black guns", Class III, and the rest of the fun stuff.

Any restrictions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Florida is real friendly in regards to class 3. You want it? You have the money? Do you live in FLA? Then you can have it!....that and a CLEO that will sign off.
..or at least until Janet Reno takes Jeb's Gov. seat! HAHA! NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
[img]http://www.finalfront.com/hosting/users/geepgeep/RTmob10550percent.JPG[/img]

-Chris in FLA
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
FL is good, at least we have our CWP rights here.  Most of the commies live in S. FL and are mostly transplants from up north.  We are better than most when it comes to gun laws.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Get your classIII under your Corporation and
you don't need a "sign off" and you save a lot of time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Some counties, Class III signoff is no problem, some will not sign.  Polk will, Hillsborough no, Pasco I'm not sure, we got a new Republican Sherrif.  Of course, there are 67 counties.  We need more pro gunners moving down here, with all of the antis moving in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I might be moving down to FL in Dec '01/Jan 02.  I want to start my own small manufacturing business on the side.  How would starting my own business negate me having to get a CLO from signing off on a Class III?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
It is the most anti-gun state in the union, next to Callifornia.
So, anyone considering a move here should look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By David M:
Some counties, Class III signoff is no problem, some will not sign.  Polk will, Hillsborough no, Pasco I'm not sure, we got a new Republican Sherrif.  Of course, there are 67 counties.  We need more pro gunners moving down here, with all of the antis moving in.
View Quote

Do you live in Pasco?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I might be moving down to FL in Dec '01/Jan 02.  I want to start my own small manufacturing business on the side.  How would starting my own business negate me having to get a CLO from signing off on a Class III?
View Quote

It doesn't. A Class III for an individual must
be signed by the County Sheriff. You bypass that
rule when you file as a Corporation. You will
get your ClassIII faster than an individual.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What about non-ClassIII? I'm talking about AR's and other black guns. Any restrictions?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem with the evil guns as long as you stay out of Greater Cuba (Miami-Dade). As for class 3 avoid Lake County the sheriff and his good buddies will not sign off your class 3s. I know all my class 3 stuff is stuck in Orange County and can't come visit me in Lake since I moved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]
dhudson,
   What`s the problem in Miami-Dade with black guns? I might be moving down that way in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Follow up to my original post...
FYI: I am in the panhandle area of FLA. Escambia,Santa Rosa, and Walton counties are free zones...ditto on the beforementioned comments on Miami-Dade and other southern counties.

Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Not talking about class III doesn't florida have a statute that says counties can't pass guns laws other then State law. What would miami dade have to say that the state doesn't.

I like Florida and maybe one day I will be there but not in South Florida. I want to get away from the NYer's not move to their second home. And now most of them there perminent residence. I like the west coast better anyway. If you can make a buck in Florida try the west coast like Naples or Sarasota. Even up near citrus county is very nice. I hate to say it cause I am a NYer. NOT BY CHOICE MIND YOU but the people from here are nasty,rude and money is there everything. I live with them and that is one reason why I want to split.

You are going to see a change in the tied of gun views in Florida in the future. Because of the people moving to the state. They are moving with the NY and Northern mentality that was brainwashed into them for years. Like you need a reason for having a gun. Like licensing and registration. These are issues that for years were pounded into them like propaganda. I talk to people about guns up here and they think I am nuts. They ask me why do you need a gun. Or you don't need an automatic for sporting purposes. Mean while it is a semi they don't know the difference. Or if you explain the difference to them they say yea for less then a dollar you can convert them with a small screw and a screw drived. It is like talking to the wall. They are idiots. My wife asks me why am I so hostile or why I complain well look at what I deal with. STUPIDITY. Like I said if I move it will be the west coast of Florida or Texas. Houston area cause I like the water.Let me change that not if I move when I move.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Pasco sheriff won't sign... he's ex-ATF so I figured he'd know and obey the law but no such luck.  Spend $100 and incorporate the way I did. (then go show him your new machinegun... maybe not)
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
What about Palm Beach County? Any ideas about Black Guns there? Not ClassIII, just AR's and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey M4-
 You're not near Boynton Beach, are you?  That's the Dissipator's old childhood home...
If you are having problems in Palm Beach County I can tell you a couple of guys around there to talk to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#17]
No CLEO in Pinellas will sign either.  Brooklyn Gulf Coast.  Everyone you pull over was "on the Job for fifty five years."
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:02:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pasco sheriff won't sign... he's ex-ATF so I figured he'd know and obey the law but no such luck.  Spend $100 and incorporate the way I did. (then go show him your new machinegun... maybe not)
View Quote

Sheriff White(R) is ex-ATF? I don't recall seeing that on his campaign literture. Ex-Sheriff Gillium(R) was good for a signature. His replacement ex-Sheriff Cannon(D) was not.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No problem with the evil guns as long as you stay out of Greater Cuba (Miami-Dade).
View Quote

Hey man, I don't know what part of Florida you are in, but Miami-Dade is black rifle central. Other than Federal, there are NO local laws restricting the ownership of our fave toys. In fact, other than our anti-gun county mayor and the South Miami city council, who no one listens to anyway, this place is decidedly gun friendly. Lot's of shooters of all types and black rifles galore.

As for "Greater Cuba", take your shots. I am a native Floridian American married to a Cuban woman. I can tell you for sure that the Cubans are some of the strongest supporters of private gun rights you will ever find, and the greater majority of them are educated and affluent enough to do something positive about it. And they vote (correctly, most of the time) unlike those old northern transplants in Palm Beach that can't see the holes in a ballot and cry about their rights toa "do-over". Come on down, it's great here!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Prior to a recent ammendment to the Florida
Constitution the State Legislature retained
all authority over guns and ammo. The ammendment
gave counties the right to legislate in the area
of sales at gunshows. This has "balkenized" gun
laws in Florida. In Hillsbrough County, Tampa
area, I was buying a HK Super 90 and had to wait
3 days to pick it up because of the new county
law. I told the dealer I would trade in a 1911
and take the 90 home that day and he said NO.
Even though you have a cc permit you now have to wait 3 days in Hillsbrough County. Counties
can make whatever law they want in regards to waiting periods. I will try to post a link later.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Prior to a recent ammendment to the Florida
Constitution the State Legislature retained
all authority over guns and ammo. The ammendment
gave counties the right to legislate in the area
of sales at gunshows. This has "balkenized" gun
laws in Florida. In Hillsbrough County, Tampa
area, I was buying a HK Super 90 and had to wait
3 days to pick it up because of the new county
law. I told the dealer I would trade in a 1911
and take the 90 home that day and he said NO.
Even though you have a cc permit you now have to wait 3 days in Hillsbrough County. Counties
can make whatever law they want in regards to waiting periods. I will try to post a link later.
View Quote

[b]WRONG![/b]
Find a new dealer, he is confused, don't let him confuse you.  There is NO 3 day wait for CCW holders, rifle or handgun, anywhere in FL.  But, as the old licenses are being renewed, there is now a background check, even for license holders.  I have recently, (within the last 60 days), taken possesion of 2 firearms from 2 different established dealers, in Hillsborough Co., just signed and walked out with them.

Persons holding a valid Florida Concealed Weapon License are exempt from the handgun waiting ("cooling-off") period if they produce their License at the time of purchase.  Persons holding a Florida Concealed Weapons License issued or most recently renewed after 30 Nov 98 must have the Instant Background Check performed (and pay for it) the same as a non-licensee.
Persons holding a valid Florida Concealed Weapons License most recently issued or renewed before 30 Nov 98 are exempt from the Instant Background Check until their current License expires or is renewed. In other words, if
your current Florida Concealed Weapons License expires before 29 Nov 2003 you are "grandfathered" until your next renewal, and are exempt from the background check at time of purchase. If your current Florida Concealed
Weapons License expires after 29 Nov 2003 you are not exempt and must undergo (and pay for) the Instant Background Check.
NOTE: Some dealers are unaware of this "grandfather" exemption for persons whose current license was issued prior to 30 Nov 98, and won't sell you a firearm without performing (and charging for) the Instant Background Check. Proof of the exemption can be found on the
BATF website at http://www.atf.treas.gov/core/firearms/information/brady/bradystates/FLORIDA.htm; print it out and take it with you to the store.

Special County Requirements
In accordance with a Constitutional Revision passed by the voters in November of 1998, any County within Florida may impose 3, 4 or 5 day
waiting period on the purchase of -any- firearm, be it rifle, shotgun or handgun, at the discretion of the County Commissioners. They may
also impose the background check requirement on sales between private individuals IF the sale occurs at a place "accessible to the public",
such as at a gun show. [b]They are not allowed to impose a waiting period requirement on any holder of a Florida Concealed Weapons License.[/b]

[url]//www.magicnet.net/~flynn/fla-gun.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote from dhudson -
I know all my class 3 stuff is stuck in Orange County and can't come visit me in Lake since I moved.
View Quote

Since when does moving WITHIN a state negate the federal license that you have to possess the weapon?  Is that the law? That you have to have 'continuing' CLEO approval AFTER you obtain the license?

I know that you have to have CLEO approval before the NFA license is issued, but if the Sheriff ain't approving the Form transfer, then any other LEO (including judges) could be used to 'get around' the a-hole Sheriff.

What's the deal?

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#24]
M4,

I (bowing my head in shame) moved to Palm Beach County 12 years ago from Indian River County (Vero Beach/Sebastian). Any and all title I weapons are O.K. here - that includes all black rifles & assault rifles. I had several Class III weapons signed off by the Police Chief in Palm Beach Gardens, where I live, but he started refusing about 2 years ago. The new Sheriff, Ed Bielich (sp?) has stated he would sign off on NFA weapons for qualified individuals and I will test that verbage next week with a Gemtech .223 suppressor my dealer has waiting for me. If he won't, I will fall back on the Corporate transfer that has been mentioned in previous posts and that I have been using for the past couple of years with no problems - negates the Law Enforcement Offical signature and the passport photos, but your corporation MUST remain active with the State!

I believe Broward County tried to ban 'black rifles' a couple of years ago, but failed.

I am a member of a nice private range ~ 20 minutes north of Palm Beach County line in Martin County (near Stuart). The range hosts 2 IPSC shoots per month, small bore rifle shoots each week, and a cowboy shoot each month. Decent range for $100/year. Has 4 different bays to shoot in: 1-50yard small bore, 1-25 yard pistol caliber (pistol or rifle), 1-25 yard bay with a steel plate machine, and 1-100 yard rifle or hunting-type pistol bay.

I just visited a beautiful, brand spankin' new range in Indian River County yesterday. It is located about 1.5 miles east of I-95 (exit 69) on County Road 512. This is an awesome public range with a beautiful design layout and 200 yard lanes available. The Range Director is the same gentleman who ran the Markham Park public range in Broward County for 15 years and turned it into a profitable enterprise and nearly tripled the membership in the first 5 years of his tenure. $5.50 + $1.00 state clean up fee will get you an all-day outing. The rules actually state 3 hours, but the range director stated you could go all day with no problems. I didn't even count the lanes available, but they were plentiful. Pistol range, small bore range, rifle range, 200 yard range with golf carts for target work, and archery range were clearly deliniated and organized.

Class III is welcome at this range also with proper NFA form 3 or 4 for each weapon, of course. I was impressed with the number of range officers on the line and the friendliness of the atmosphere. Strict range rules were enforced at all times.

HTH & Best Regards,
Clay
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I stand corrected on the "cc permit must wait
3 days".
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
M4,

I (bowing my head in shame) moved to Palm Beach County 12 years ago from Indian River County (Vero Beach/Sebastian). Any and all title I weapons are O.K. here - that includes all black rifles & assault rifles. I had several Class III weapons signed off by the Police Chief in Palm Beach Gardens, where I live, but he started refusing about 2 years ago. The new Sheriff, Ed Bielich (sp?) has stated he would sign off on NFA weapons for qualified individuals and I will test that verbage next week with a Gemtech .223 suppressor my dealer has waiting for me. If he won't, I will fall back on the Corporate transfer that has been mentioned in previous posts and that I have been using for the past couple of years with no problems - negates the Law Enforcement Offical signature and the passport photos, but your corporation MUST remain active with the State!

I believe Broward County tried to ban 'black rifles' a couple of years ago, but failed.

I am a member of a nice private range ~ 20 minutes north of Palm Beach County line in Martin County (near Stuart). The range hosts 2 IPSC shoots per month, small bore rifle shoots each week, and a cowboy shoot each month. Decent range for $100/year. Has 4 different bays to shoot in: 1-50yard small bore, 1-25 yard pistol caliber (pistol or rifle), 1-25 yard bay with a steel plate machine, and 1-100 yard rifle or hunting-type pistol bay.

I just visited a beautiful, brand spankin' new range in Indian River County yesterday. It is located about 1.5 miles east of I-95 (exit 69) on County Road 512. This is an awesome public range with a beautiful design layout and 200 yard lanes available. The Range Director is the same gentleman who ran the Markham Park public range in Broward County for 15 years and turned it into a profitable enterprise and nearly tripled the membership in the first 5 years of his tenure. $5.50 + $1.00 state clean up fee will get you an all-day outing. The rules actually state 3 hours, but the range director stated you could go all day with no problems. I didn't even count the lanes available, but they were plentiful. Pistol range, small bore range, rifle range, 200 yard range with golf carts for target work, and archery range were clearly deliniated and organized.

Class III is welcome at this range also with proper NFA form 3 or 4 for each weapon, of course. I was impressed with the number of range officers on the line and the friendliness of the atmosphere. Strict range rules were enforced at all times.

HTH & Best Regards,
Clay
View Quote

Whats the name and phone number of this range?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top