Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

snip....
fancy titanium cups like...  snip
View Quote

the good old fashioned cheap aluminum bacon grease pot was the high speed low drag pot for use for many years for light weight hikers. Its cheap, its light, its big enough to actually cook in and store the stove, windscreen and fuel in.

@steviesterno16
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044UU5JS?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've been thinking about picking up one of the Pro-Tec PT A-Bravo bump helmets.  I gave away my Petzl climbing helmet years ago when I quit climbing and the only bump style I've got left is my whitewater kayaking helmet which I've never liked.  I've still got two motorcycle helmets but I'd rather have something lighter and with mounting rails on it.
View Quote

Check botach.com, they usually have a variety of bump helmets on sale.

Here is one...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lots of examples from the summer of love proving even bump helmets have a place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After watching Reginald Denny (sp?) get bricked live on TV, I'm convinced even a cheap bump helmet is a very good investment. The old pro-tec shells were pretty good, I use mine when I climb a ladder to clean gutters.

Lots of examples from the summer of love proving even bump helmets have a place.

Curious about the general train of thought:
@TNC mentioned using a bump helmet on a ladder. I can see that. More people are injured falling off ladders, than during riots, but the Reginald Denny part?
A) were you planning on driving around with the bump helmet on, in case of the rare occurrence of getting pulled out of your vehicle and smacked in the head with a brick?
B) even if you DID have a helmet on, much like GD points out, "If the guy is armored, target all the unarmored areas". I'm not letting someone pull me out of my vehicle.
C) not sure what the laws are in your AO, but vehicles fall under MI's Castle Law. Try to attack me, enter my vehicle or pull me out of it and lethal force is allowed.

Similarly, with the riots; I prefer to stay away from the BS. Too old for tardjousting.

As for bump helmets, if you have NV, then yeah, they're lighter and usually vented and therefore a little more comfortable for NV use, but if it's just for brain bucket protection from inadvertent impacts, bicycling helmets are easy to find, well vented, really lightweight and available pretty cheaply.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@TNC mentioned using a bump helmet on a ladder. I can see that. More people are injured falling off ladders, than during riots, but the Reginald Denny part?
A) were you planning on driving around with the bump helmet on, in case of the rare occurrence of getting pulled out of your vehicle and smacked in the head with a brick?
B) even if you DID have a helmet on, much like GD points out, "If the guy is armored, target all the unarmored areas". I'm not letting someone pull me out of my vehicle.
C) not sure what the laws are in your AO, but vehicles fall under MI's Castle Law. Try to attack me, enter my vehicle or pull me out of it and lethal force is allowed.

Similarly, with the riots; I prefer to stay away from the BS. Too old for tardjousting.

As for bump helmets, if you have NV, then yeah, they're lighter and usually vented and therefore a little more comfortable for NV use, but if it's just for brain bucket protection from inadvertent impacts, bicycling helmets are easy to find, well vented, really lightweight and available pretty cheaply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After watching Reginald Denny (sp?) get bricked live on TV, I'm convinced even a cheap bump helmet is a very good investment. The old pro-tec shells were pretty good, I use mine when I climb a ladder to clean gutters.

I want one for night vision (on my short list of things to buy), mounting a GoPro and a light, hearing protection mounting, urban exploration and some of the environmental work I do which sometimes involves going in structures with no power.  I'd like to have an armored version, but for actual practical usage in the hot most of the year south, a bump helmet is a better choice.  

I do my best to avoid all fiery but mostly peaceful gatherings but I also have an ARB bumper on the front that'll work much better than any bump helmet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If I'm going to put a helmet in my vehicle for a perceived violent need then it'll be my ACH.

I did just get a skater style helmet that I just found. It needs a buckle but besides that it's in good shape. It's even a dark green.

To bad it's not smaller. I'd paint an A on the front for my son.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Years ago my wife and I narrowly avoided being caught in the yearly May Day riot, which has been going on in Seattle every year for a decade. I turned on the TV news and saw a van surrounded by black bloc, being pummeled with bricks, in an intersection we went through 15 minutes earlier. We had no idea any of that was taking place, but that day got my attention. I bet that guy wished he had a helmet. And armor, and a can of pepper spray the size of a fire extinguisher.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago my wife and I narrowly avoided being caught in the yearly May Day riot, which has been going on in Seattle every year for a decade. I turned on the TV news and saw a van surrounded by black bloc, being pummeled with bricks, in an intersection we went through 15 minutes earlier. We had no idea any of that was taking place, but that day got my attention. I bet that guy wished he had a helmet. And armor, and a can of pepper spray the size of a fire extinguisher.

That would be 'lead foot' time. I wouldn't even bother screwing with pepper spray.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I'm going to put a helmet in my vehicle for a perceived violent need then it'll be my ACH.

I did just get a skater style helmet that I just found. It needs a buckle but besides that it's in good shape. It's even a dark green.

To bad it's not smaller. I'd paint an A on the front for my son.
View Quote

I like your Style...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes it was a pretty good video and kind of put it in the face of those who dont think anything will ever happen here,also those who think civilians have no business owning or using kit.
View Quote

civies do not need kits, period.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it was a pretty good video and kind of put it in the face of those who dont think anything will ever happen here,also those who think civilians have no business owning or using kit.

Attachment Attached File

Need is a really ugly word. Who determines what one needs…?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming this is the intro some some silly joke or misdirection leading up to a coherent and well-reasoned post, so please do continue.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stand fast. I'm getting a reading on the sarcasm meter.
View Quote

How many pings....do you have a machine that pings?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

People who refer to the people as "civies" are exactly why civies need kit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This would make sense to anyone who believes that the second amendment is about hunting.

Except it doesn't and it isn't.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This would make sense to anyone who believes that the second amendment is about hunting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or anyone who would gladly take your guns because their supervisor told them to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or anyone who would gladly take your guns because their supervisor told them to.
View Quote

The Nuremberg answer, " I was just following orders" will not save anyone from justice.

Have you seen that movie where only the government had guns?

Shindeler's List.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure thing jackboot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#21]
INFO ON THE SAWYER SQUEEZE:

The boy and I had recently converted to the squeeze from my old Sweetwater Guardian (I loved that filter but they are no longer available). We did one trip in the fall. He just went on a trip this week.

We had backflushed our filters with tap water, last fall. Let them dry out and stored them.

Evidently, hard water can deposit calcium/lime etc which dries in the filter. He said his first attempt at filter was a no go, period. Luckily, he was with 3 other guys and everyone had filters, plus some iodine back up.

He attempted to back flush several times and said that once the filter was wet, he was able to get water to back flush. Then tried filtering normally and everything was fine. Just kind of freaked him out, initially, that he thought the gear failed and he could have been really relying on it.

Some guys store theirs wet after flushing with distilled water, and flush it out with vinegar water every couple months to prevent any growth.

So, while filters are definitely convenient on one hand, they take special handling on the other (no freeze, keep clean, need to wet before working well).

Also learned to make sure you use lots of pressure when back flushing, otherwise the back flush takes the path of least resistance and doesn't necessarily clean all the pores.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
MSR Trail Base Personal Pump and Gravity Water Filter System  

Price reduced from $159.95 to $119.89.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The boy and I had recently converted to the squeeze from my old Sweetwater Guardian (I loved that filter but they are no longer available). We did one trip in the fall. He just went on a trip this week.

We had backflushed our filters with tap water, last fall. Let them dry out and stored them.

Evidently, hard water can deposit calcium/lime etc which dries in the filter. He said his first attempt at filter was a no go, period. Luckily, he was with 3 other guys and everyone had filters, plus some iodine back up.

He attempted to back flush several times and said that once the filter was wet, he was able to get water to back flush. Then tried filtering normally and everything was fine. Just kind of freaked him out, initially, that he thought the gear failed and he could have been really relying on it.

Some guys store theirs wet after flushing with distilled water, and flush it out with vinegar water every couple months to prevent any growth.

So, while filters are definitely convenient on one hand, they take special handling on the other (no freeze, keep clean, need to wet before working well).

Also learned to make sure you use lots of pressure when back flushing, otherwise the back flush takes the path of least resistance and doesn't necessarily clean all the pores.
View Quote

Great info, thanks.  I have very hard water here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use water from the Zerowater filter for back flushing Sawyer filters (after a little bleach). No deposits. I use it in the steam cleaner too, for the same reason.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Somewhat related: https://taskandpurpose.com/gear-tech/best-tactical-pens/

I actually have the 5.11 pen... it's so obnoxiously big that I never carry it.

That Gerber model looks nice though... uhh but not for 70 FREAKIN' DOLLARS.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good stuff to know. I've got one in my hunting kit that I should take out and check. I back flushed it with tap water last time I used it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good stuff to know. I've got one in my hunting kit that I should take out and check. I back flushed it with tap water last time I used it.

After further research and playing around with mine, I think it was much more the issue of having been used and then dried out rather than mineral deposits.

It takes a bit for them to wet out, from a dried state, and allow flow again.

I have no idea, the science behind this. Why a new dry one flows fine. A used and then dried one has to be wetted again.

I would make a point of only back flushing with clean water. I don't want dirty water on that side of the filter. But it seems that back flushing is the best way to re-wet a used filter.

You'll have to figure out your preferred SOP.

I'll continue to work around this inconvenience until something better comes along. I may write Sawyer and ask what they recommend.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone know of a cup that the Grayl will nestle in? It's kind of an odd shape.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Just ordered a new buckle for that skate helmet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Look at the big spender flexing with his top tier civvie kit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially since it was free.

My ACH is for serious issues. I don't think I want to deal with another tbi. It took years for the seizures to go away from the last one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That illustrates the utility of ballistic helmets. There's a tendency to dismiss them since they won't stop direct rifle hits. But there are plenty of flying objects that will ruin your day, that are easily stopped by a helmet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially since it was free.

My ACH is for serious issues. I don't think I want to deal with another tbi. It took years for the seizures to go away from the last one.

That illustrates the utility of ballistic helmets. There's a tendency to dismiss them since they won't stop direct rifle hits. But there are plenty of flying objects that will ruin your day, that are easily stopped by a helmet.

It doesn't even have to be flying objects, bang your head on a rusty nail or a piece of rebar or a low hanging branch or any number of other things- especially during a critical time (another good reason to stay up to date on tetanus and carry a boo-boo kit to clean and get an antibiotic on any cuts or scratches quickly).  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Fun with a poncho:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/ponchotent.htm?&cuid=1d1e26bd4cb01bc6372fa8ca61a8792d

Look for “alpha poncho tent” on YouTube to see people trying this out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dakota, is that you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Dakota, is that you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dakota, is that you?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Someone upthread mentioned using a bike helmet as a bump helmet. That's probably a not a good idea, based on this article from Greg Ellefretz:

If you dismount, unbuckle your helmet.  A buckled helmet makes it very easy for an attacker to control your movements.  The attacker can just grab your helmet and drag your head down.  Where the head goes, the body follows.   I've dragged 250 lb. bike cops around by their helmets all day long while teaching police bike school.  When someone grabs your buckled helmet, it's scary how much control they have over you.  Make it a habit to unbuckle your helmet whenever you step off your bike.
View Quote

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/your-tactical-training-scenario-attacked-on-a-bicycle

This is specific to cycling helmets with big vents that make it easier to grab ahold of.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Someone upthread mentioned using a bike helmet as a bump helmet. That's probably a not a good idea, based on this article from Greg Ellefretz:

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/your-tactical-training-scenario-attacked-on-a-bicycle

This is specific to cycling helmets with big vents that make it easier to grab ahold of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you dismount, unbuckle your helmet.  A buckled helmet makes it very easy for an attacker to control your movements.  The attacker can just grab your helmet and drag your head down.  Where the head goes, the body follows.   I've dragged 250 lb. bike cops around by their helmets all day long while teaching police bike school.  When someone grabs your buckled helmet, it's scary how much control they have over you.  Make it a habit to unbuckle your helmet whenever you step off your bike.

Combat helmets aren't really any better.  The point would be to avoid hand-to-hand combat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

After further research and playing around with mine, I think it was much more the issue of having been used and then dried out rather than mineral deposits.

I have no idea, the science behind this. Why a new dry one flows fine. A used and then dried one has to be wetted again.

I would make a point of only back flushing with clean water. I don't want dirty water on that side of the filter. But it seems that back flushing is the best way to re-wet a used filter.

I'll continue to work around this inconvenience until something better comes along. I may write Sawyer and ask what they recommend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any minor deposits will change the insides of those hollow fiber tubes from perfectly smooth. This makes it easier to trap air bubbles, which impedes the flow.

The directions (at least the original ones I read regarding gravity setups) noted this and instructed the user to backflush the filter with the small amount of filtered water that comes out, noting that this would help push the air bubbles out of the fibers and usually speed up the filtering thereafter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Combat helmets aren't really any better.  The point would be to avoid hand-to-hand combat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I've seen the same with the old bowling ball motorcycle helmets, and full face helmets. Anyone grabbing them can apply a lot more torque than they could to a bare head,  and way more than a neck can handle.

For NV or inadvertent impacts, yeah. For hand-to-hand? Rather not.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, grabbing helmet straps is no joke. I had an incident once where a drunk driver reached out his window and grabbed my helmet strap while I was on my bike. I was watching the cross street lights turn yellow, knowing what was going to happen when our light turned green, trying to unbuckle the strap with my left hand and walking my right hand up his face toward his eyes. About the time I got close to giving him the old Larry and Moe routine he let go and drove off.

A fellow caught in a fiery but peaceful protest could read that incident in reverse and take a lesson.

View Quote

not being obtuse or snarkey. Isn't the point of being done up in full (overt) kit to not go hands on with someone? Seems like keeping them from closing distance would make sense, as would a blade used similar to handgun retention.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

In an urban combat survival situation you'd shoot them in the face before they got that close.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't want to grapple with a helmet. I don't want to wear a helmet. It's about threat assessment.

A cop jumping off his bike trying to make an arrest has a high likelihood of grappling.

A civilian in a shtf scenario imo would be similar to service members overseas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best response to that attitude I've ever seen.

And precisely correct.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

not being obtuse or snarkey. Isn't the point of being done up in full (overt) kit to not go hands on with someone? Seems like keeping them from closing distance would make sense, as would a blade used similar to handgun retention.
View Quote

Agree.  I think the warning on helmets is good for bike riders.  Take a break cycling, unhinge the helmet.  I did it as a teen for comfort, not just self-preservation.

If you are wearing kit and any kind of helmet, yeah, someone could grab and use it as a means of controlling your head and thus body movement, like in any grappling scenario,  but like you said Stevie, you likely wouldn't even let them get that close, and as they started to approach, your gun or knife would quickly arrest any such moves on their part.  If they do close with you and grab for your helmet first, they just committed and left themselves wide open for endless countermoves which you'd have already initiated.

On a totally different subject, just saw these being peddled on ebay for $20 and up, found em cheaper, and thought some might like em... cool "take no prisoners" pirate style "no quarter" morale patch by Prometheus designs.  https://www.knifecenter.com/item/PDW40227502/prometheus-design-werx-pdw-no-prisoners-flag-morale-patch  This companies' morale patches usually sell out quickly, increase in value in the aftermarket, and these are already out of stock on their website.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Like my old football coach said.

Where the head goes...the body follows....

Usually said as they grabbed your face mask and pointed you in the direction of learning they wished to impress upon you. Lol.

But as pointed out.
If you shoot enough you ain't getting into a grappling scenario.  Unless totally off guard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#50]
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top