BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

some filters can take freezing due to their construction (e.g. MSR Guardian) - i don't know of any that are cheap

i think most affordable filters are fine against a freeze if they haven't been used, but i might be wrong. wouldn't hurt to have a spare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been following the thread, and there's lots of great knowledge. But, I think there's something missing from the equation.

You have your water filters, and they're good. They have a shelf life, but, what doesn't? If they get clogged, or something happens, then what? There's a reason why the military uses those little pills, and filters their water the way they do. Figure one extreme or the other. There's either going to be bottled water, or a well, or even some other natural source available, or there's not. No in between. Canteens work. Your bare minimum water requirements are about a liter a day.

You're packing for days. You have to pack for months of sustainable action.  All those fancy gel packs were in the place you had picked out to store everything, and, after opfor got done taking whatever they wanted, they smoked it with a tank. There goes your food store, your ammo, your spares, and anything else you might have wanted to keep around for the duration. They took gramma out , tied her hands behind her back, and blew her brains out. Then they ate your dog. They shoot people down in the streets every night, for nothing, for fun. You're running for your life.

You need water. You need some meds. You need some spare clothing, but, figure that you will be replacing it before too long, because, it'll get trashed. No fancy gel packs, no toilet paper, no tortillas and peanut butter, and all that fancy comms gear does you no good when you cannot charge it somewhere.

Thermal scopes are great. They need batteries. Lots of them. Binoculars do not. If you're not patrolling, do you really need thermals? IDK, maybe. Me, I'd dig a hole, throw up an emergency blanket, throw some foliage over that, and call it a day. I'd do listening watch at the top of every hour. 3 minutes. Local AM station. I'd be hiding. I'd be ready. People talking about sleep systems. I'd be really surprised to hear people are sleeping much, if any, at all.

In other words, people are talking short term sustainment, like they're just out for a hike. Think long term, without resupply, and work from there. How long will that fancy camping gear get you with daily hard usage? Especially when you're being hunted like a dog? Be nice to think resupply, casevac, and all that other happy stuff, but guess what? It ain't for you. Serious one time shot to grab what you need to head into the abyss, before the gates of hell open up on you and you're swallowed whole.  

I think you missed the video.

As far as your line of thoughts goes, there was a survivalist group back in the 60s. The more serious they got, the more they realized the same things you are discussing.

They morphed in to the AMM. American Mountain Men. They knew the only real path to sustainable living was 19th century tech.

Ime and imho, taking some of that skill and knowledge, combining it with what works with modern tech, one gets the best of both, if you're talking about  no shit eotwawki.

The filter I use is back flushable. Good for thousands of gallons. Don't be stupid and stick it in the mud and it'll go a long time. A bottle of tablets, not so much. Sublimated iodine in the correct set up will last a long time but tastes like shit and is not great for you in the long haul.

There are a bunch of things we use that would give the advantage in the short term over old school stuff that would last years. But lasting years is moot if you're killed by someone not saddled with a ten pound wool bed roll and candle lantern.

My biggest fear, especially up where I live, is a water filter freezing and getting destroyed.  I know to keep it against my body when not in use, but it only takes once.  That being said, I keep a filter and no tablets.  Maybe I'll change that to add tablets also.

some filters can take freezing due to their construction (e.g. MSR Guardian) - i don't know of any that are cheap

i think most affordable filters are fine against a freeze if they haven't been used, but i might be wrong. wouldn't hurt to have a spare.

Yes.  I have three Sawyers, the mini, micro, and original.  They are fine unused, which is why one stays in the bag.  I didn't know the MSR was safe to freeze, I'll look into it, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
LARPING
View Quote
Cool
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes.  I have three Sawyers, the mini, micro, and original.  They are fine unused, which is why one stays in the bag.  I didn't know the MSR was safe to freeze, I'll look into it, thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been following the thread, and there's lots of great knowledge. But, I think there's something missing from the equation.

You have your water filters, and they're good. They have a shelf life, but, what doesn't? If they get clogged, or something happens, then what? There's a reason why the military uses those little pills, and filters their water the way they do. Figure one extreme or the other. There's either going to be bottled water, or a well, or even some other natural source available, or there's not. No in between. Canteens work. Your bare minimum water requirements are about a liter a day.

You're packing for days. You have to pack for months of sustainable action.  All those fancy gel packs were in the place you had picked out to store everything, and, after opfor got done taking whatever they wanted, they smoked it with a tank. There goes your food store, your ammo, your spares, and anything else you might have wanted to keep around for the duration. They took gramma out , tied her hands behind her back, and blew her brains out. Then they ate your dog. They shoot people down in the streets every night, for nothing, for fun. You're running for your life.

You need water. You need some meds. You need some spare clothing, but, figure that you will be replacing it before too long, because, it'll get trashed. No fancy gel packs, no toilet paper, no tortillas and peanut butter, and all that fancy comms gear does you no good when you cannot charge it somewhere.

Thermal scopes are great. They need batteries. Lots of them. Binoculars do not. If you're not patrolling, do you really need thermals? IDK, maybe. Me, I'd dig a hole, throw up an emergency blanket, throw some foliage over that, and call it a day. I'd do listening watch at the top of every hour. 3 minutes. Local AM station. I'd be hiding. I'd be ready. People talking about sleep systems. I'd be really surprised to hear people are sleeping much, if any, at all.

In other words, people are talking short term sustainment, like they're just out for a hike. Think long term, without resupply, and work from there. How long will that fancy camping gear get you with daily hard usage? Especially when you're being hunted like a dog? Be nice to think resupply, casevac, and all that other happy stuff, but guess what? It ain't for you. Serious one time shot to grab what you need to head into the abyss, before the gates of hell open up on you and you're swallowed whole.  

I think you missed the video.

As far as your line of thoughts goes, there was a survivalist group back in the 60s. The more serious they got, the more they realized the same things you are discussing.

They morphed in to the AMM. American Mountain Men. They knew the only real path to sustainable living was 19th century tech.

Ime and imho, taking some of that skill and knowledge, combining it with what works with modern tech, one gets the best of both, if you're talking about  no shit eotwawki.

The filter I use is back flushable. Good for thousands of gallons. Don't be stupid and stick it in the mud and it'll go a long time. A bottle of tablets, not so much. Sublimated iodine in the correct set up will last a long time but tastes like shit and is not great for you in the long haul.

There are a bunch of things we use that would give the advantage in the short term over old school stuff that would last years. But lasting years is moot if you're killed by someone not saddled with a ten pound wool bed roll and candle lantern.

My biggest fear, especially up where I live, is a water filter freezing and getting destroyed.  I know to keep it against my body when not in use, but it only takes once.  That being said, I keep a filter and no tablets.  Maybe I'll change that to add tablets also.

It looks like the pump Guardian is advertised as safe for freezing, the gravity version is not. Per the MSR site.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm in a place it rarely drops below freezing.  But I still have filter and tablets.  And a sillcock key.  And know how to make a filter.  For fire, I have a plasma lighter, a magnifying glass, and strike-anywhere matches.

Redundancy is a given for the necessities.  That whole "two is one, and one is none" thing.
View Quote

As a backpacker trying to shave as many ounces as you can, this is a challenge. As a career military guy, planning redundancy and contingencies made it hard to limit those redundancies and accept more risk.  There is a balance, but I still use somewhat of a P.A.C.E. plan for some of my key essentials (fire, water, signal, shelter to some degree). It can be done and having a filter fail on day three of a seven day hike, some redundancy becomes quite clear.

Quoted:
LARPING = Training
View Quote

That one word in LARP that many fat-assess forget is "ACTION". If you did at least one tour in the military, not in an admin job, you quickly learn that when not deployed and on mission, you're doing a lot of LARPING. Training = LARPING. For those that can't do it for a living, at least they're doing something to train, stay fit, and figure out their kit if they ever do need it. And once you retire from the real job, it's all LARPING these days

Quoted:
View Quote

Both the MSR Guardian and the Grayl can take a freezing or two, but like with anything plastic with seals, it’s not recommended for repeated exposure like that.  The Guardian is great, love it, but it’s big and bulky. If you have running water, the Swayer is fine, you just have to get in the habit of keeping it close to your body and in your sleeping bag at night.

For redundancy, as much as I like the two-part Aqua Mira solution mix, for colder temps you’re better off with tablets. The liquid solutions can still freeze. The only downside is that tablets take much longer to treat cold water and many recommend heating water up a little (saves fuel as you don’t have to boil and it warms it up to allow faster chemical treatment).

I’ve heard UV via SteriPen is a good option, but then you also have to deal with batteries and cold-weather performance.

Outside of the poor suckers who live through sub-freezing temps for a few weeks at a time in the winter, you can safely protect and use the hollow-fiber filters as long as the water isn’t frozen. You just need to take additional precautions to avoid having them freeze up.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As a backpacker trying to shave as many ounces as you can, this is a challenge. As a career military guy, planning redundancy and contingencies made it hard to limit those redundancies and accept more risk.  There is a balance, but I still use somewhat of a P.A.C.E. plan for some of my key essentials (fire, water, signal, shelter to some degree). It can be done and having a filter fail on day three of a seven day hike, some redundancy becomes quite clear.

ROCK6
View Quote

I always attempted shaving pounds and ounces, and before every backpacking trip I'd weigh gear to decide what goes and to minimize weight, but I learned quickly you don't compromise the essentials.  I always tripled up on fire and water.  And doubled up on other things.  If you can afford to go without something, it either gets eliminated or I only bring one.

And even deliberate planning doesn't eliminate Murphy.  I woke up sub-zero camping a dozen miles from a vehicle or any civilization when the top half of my sleeping bag started to freeze up on me.  I had turned my head in sleep, and was breathing into the gap between my bivy sack and vapor barrier liner, and the vapor from my breath was condensing, liquefying and then freezing in the sleeping bag for a few hours.  Miserable  hours coming back from hypothermia.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can you tell me more about this program? You seem pretty familiar with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the 50s, the US govt. spent a ton of money on developing a pen that could write in a weightless environment. The Russians just used a pencil.

So can you. Write in the rain pads are for taking notes, making sketches, writing down critical information that otherwise might be forgotten. It is also a security liability should it fall into the wrong hands. You can spend 40 dollars on a good rite in the rain starter kit, or you could just go HERE and order some supplies.  

Take notes. They could save someone's life.

Alright, you got me.

Here's the real story.

Since the late 1960s American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts have used Fisher's pens. In fact, Fisher has created an entire line of space pens. A newer version, called the Shuttle Pen, served on NASA's space shuttles and on the Russian space station, Mir. Of course, you don't have to go into orbit to get your hands on a space pen—earthbound folks can own one for the low, low price of $50.

ETA - Can the Soviets still even get pens? They might be on the embargo list.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I always attempted shaving pounds and ounces, and before every backpacking trip I'd weigh gear to decide what goes and to minimize weight, but I learned quickly you don't compromise the essentials.
View Quote

Agreed, it's a balance, but when you compare a pretty benign backpacking trip with an unknown SHTF situation, compromises can be far more detrimental. I don't think you need to go overboard, but your assessment does need to change a little.  Outside of a few items dedicated to backpacking, I try to use and evaluate kit that can crossover (fighting kit not included of course). And then, there are some mission-specific items to consider.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I always attempted shaving pounds and ounces, and before every backpacking trip I'd weigh gear to decide what goes and to minimize weight, but I learned quickly you don't compromise the essentials.  I always tripled up on fire and water.  And doubled up on other things.  If you can afford to go without something, it either gets eliminated or I only bring one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Yep.

If the difference is between inconvenience and potentially life threatening, redundancy is important.

Diarrhea/dysentery is bad enough in normal life, but out in the boonies/SHTF where quick aid isn't just a call away, it's potentially life threatening.

P.S.

Individually packaged Chlorine Dioxide tablets are available (Potable Aqua or Aquatabs).
A) unlike iodine, chlorine dioxide will kill cryptosporidium, but it takes 4 hours (30 minutes for the other stuff, like bacteria, viruses, giardia etc.)
B) we're used to the taste of chlorine. I definitely find chlorine dioxide preferable to the taste of iodine tabs
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the fisher space pen is ITAR controlled
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the 50s, the US govt. spent a ton of money on developing a pen that could write in a weightless environment. The Russians just used a pencil.

So can you. Write in the rain pads are for taking notes, making sketches, writing down critical information that otherwise might be forgotten. It is also a security liability should it fall into the wrong hands. You can spend 40 dollars on a good rite in the rain starter kit, or you could just go HERE and order some supplies.  

Alright, you got me.

Here's the real story.

Since the late 1960s American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts have used Fisher's pens. In fact, Fisher has created an entire line of space pens. A newer version, called the Shuttle Pen, served on NASA's space shuttles and on the Russian space station, Mir. Of course, you don't have to go into orbit to get your hands on a space pen—earthbound folks can own one for the low, low price of $50.

It wouldn't surprise me if the fisher space pen is ITAR controlled

While I can see how thermal, NV, riflescopes and such fall under ITAR, it would take some real mental gymnastics to put a pen under ITAR (though I can't rule out some government stooge finding some way to make that leap).

Eg. Binoculars are used in warfare, but even the Steiner binos don't fall under ITAR, AFAIK (unless perhaps, for specific models that have .mil features?).
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Alright, you got me.

Here's the real story.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, you got me.

Here's the real story.

Information presented matters. If we're quick to present a very well known falsehood, anything else presented needs to be scrutinized. Especially if it's not first hand knowledge being shared.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep.

If the difference is between inconvenience and potentially life threatening, redundancy is important.

Diarrhea/dysentery is bad enough in normal life, but out in the boonies/SHTF where quick aid isn't just a call away, it's potentially life threatening.

P.S.

Individually packaged Chlorine Dioxide tablets are available (Potable Aqua or Aquatabs).
A) unlike iodine, chlorine dioxide will kill cryptosporidium, but it takes 4 hours (30 minutes for the other stuff, like bacteria, viruses, giardia etc.)
B) we're used to the taste of chlorine. I definitely find chlorine dioxide preferable to the taste of iodine tabs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Yep.

P.S.

Iodine tabs are almost nostalgic for me. I hate to admit I kinda like them
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Information presented matters. If we're quick to present a very well known falsehood, anything else presented needs to be scrutinized. Especially if it's not first hand knowledge being shared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, you got me.

Here's the real story.

Yeah. I guess the real point is, that a write in the rain notebook probably wouldn't benefit any from the usage of a 60 dollar pen, when a pencil would probably do. Especially since it works better in the rain. Or, at least, I am told.

https://www.riteintherain.com/metal-clicker-pen#barrel-colors_black-barrel_ink-color_black#97

This is also a pressurized pen, although I would be remiss if I didn't also state that it's value in space is to me unknown as well. I have no idea whether or not they spent a million dollars to develop it, but it is quite a bit cheaper than the 50-60 dollar version spoken of above.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Speaking of night vision and how much it's a force multiplier. This is a night vision equipped Russian patrol destroying a Ukrainian patrol. The Ukrainians are completely oblivious to the danger that lies ahead. From a Russian telegram channel:

https://t.me/intelslava/26226
View Quote

@batjka104

That looks like thermal but same result.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In addition to those methods, are there limitations around keeping a couple full Nalgene bottles or something similar in the trunk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
daily reminder that filtration and purification aren't the same

it doesn't hurt to have drops or tablets for viruses

In addition to those methods, are there limitations around keeping a couple full Nalgene bottles or something similar in the trunk?

@Domnior

For you?  No.  For me, in the New Hampshire winter . . .
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah. I guess the real point is, that a write in the rain notebook probably wouldn't benefit any from the usage of a 60 dollar pen, when a pencil would probably do. Especially since it works better in the rain. Or, at least, I am told.

https://www.riteintherain.com/metal-clicker-pen#barrel-colors_black-barrel_ink-color_black#97

This is also a pressurized pen, although I would be remiss if I didn't also state that it's value in space is to me unknown as well. I have no idea whether or not they spent a million dollars to develop it, but it is quite a bit cheaper than the 50-60 dollar version spoken of above.
View Quote
I don't know-that's a stretch, man.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I found fisher pens for $11, nicer ones for $24, and ink refills for as little as $5.  You can use your own nice pen with the fisher refill (it's pressurized).

FYI
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.

P.S.

View Quote

I've been playing with Chlorine Dioxide tabs and liquid, and iodine. A pinch of vitamin c (ascorbic acid) binds with iodine and chlorine to neutralize the flavor, after treatment.

Home Depot give away water testing kits, which contain a 3ml screw top tube (meant for centrifuges, I think) that is great for small amounts of stuff like this.

On a separate note, the Aquamira fluid is annoyingly dilute; seven drops of two fluids mixed together per quart of water. They could easily dilute it less and have, say two or one drop of each liquid per quart of water.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Yep.

P.S.

I can relate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Domnior

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
daily reminder that filtration and purification aren't the same

it doesn't hurt to have drops or tablets for viruses

@Domnior

I have those steel Nalgene bottles (actually have the OG version, from before Nalgene bought them over,  but I've since bought the Nalgene branded versions and for all intents and purposes, they're pretty much identical).

I make sure to leave a bit of room for the ice expansion, but I've left them in the GHB in the vehicle all Winter long (including nights when it was in the -ve teens f), and they're all still 100% fine (and the water in them, straight from a Zerowater filter, tastes as good, a full year later, as it came out of the filter. No plasticky or weird taste, unlike the bottled water I've left in the vehicles).

The steel Nalgene also works as a stove/pot to boil water in. The designer made a really simple and cool slip-loop design for the cover's tether, so you can simply slide the 'noose' off the neck of tge bottle, specifically so the steel bottle can easily be used for boiling water.

I tested it with one of my homemade pop can alcohol stoves, and I can boil water (or snow) with just those 2 things, as long as I have a level surface (i.e. no pot stand required. Literally placing the steel Nalgene right on top of the lit pop can stove). I DO however, have one of those 3-piece aluminum potstand/windshield things. Super lightweight. Stores as 3 flat pieces that you put together in seconds to make a triangular windshield/potstand (that's strong enough for me to stand on).

It makes the popcan stove more efficient, as the flame is hitting the bottom of the Nalgene, vs the sides.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I found fisher pens for $11, nicer ones for $24, and ink refills for as little as $5.  You can use your own nice pen with the fisher refill (it's pressurized).

FYI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI

Since I rarely need to write upside down (and as yet, have never needed to write in zero G), there are a couple of roller ball, and Fine felt tipped pens, that have worked for writing in the rain/wet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Very similar classes. I've also watched a few of Brent0331's videos, I get a sense he's part of a company that runs full scale training exercises. He was recommended by a friend who's a former Marine. There are lots of detailed videos for specific tasks on his channel.
View Quote

Bumping this having recently attended one shepherd in WV. Its worth its weight in gold. They charge relatively little for the education gained. Its force on force meets fieldcraft meets leadership meets small unit tactics. I can't say enough in a few sentences of how worth it is to attend. Test your gear, test your skills and have a lot of fun learning in an atmosphere unlike anything in the country, probably the world. Very, very underrated school.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Since I rarely need to write upside down (and as yet, have never needed to write in zero G), there are a couple of roller ball, and Fine felt tipped pens, that have worked for writing in the rain/wet.
View Quote

Perhaps GT will do an instructional video?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought multicam mechanix gloves and shot in them today (plus drove but that felt weird). Small steps.

Also came close to dropping a mortgage payment at REI. Hot damn gear is lighter since I shopped bags and shit!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought multicam mechanix gloves and shot in them today (plus drove but that felt weird). Small steps.

Also came close to dropping a mortgage payment at REI. Hot damn gear is lighter since I shopped bags and shit!
View Quote

I have a couple pairs of those I got recently. One really thin pair and another a bit thicker. They seem really good honestly. I Always liked the Nomex aviator gloves with the goat skin palms but they can be hot in summer and you have to fold them down on the cuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

What were you looking at buying?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have a couple pairs of those I got recently. One really thin pair and another a bit thicker. They seem really good honestly. I Always liked the Nomex aviator gloves with the goat skin palms but they can be hot in summer and you have to fold them down on the cuff.
View Quote

I've got a pair made by under armor of all places.
They are super thin. Gauntlet length like normal. Thin black leather palms etc.
I can use my phone with them.
I like how thin they are for the heat here. I also carry a set of Mechanix to double up if cold weather is forecast.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the tag if I ain't ripped it off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

everything mentioned in this thread

they had some great bags that are lightyears ahead of my old (almost 20 years now) Kelty, they had the MSR water systems, fancy titanium cups like Rock6 has, smartwool socks, etc.

I am going to camp out with the kids next week and put my existing stuff through it's paces. It's cool for me to be looking at all this stuff, but I'm not in a place to even remotely justify it at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

they had some great bags that are lightyears ahead of my old (almost 20 years now) Kelty, they had the MSR water systems, fancy titanium cups like Rock6 has, smartwool socks, etc.

I am going to camp out with the kids next week and put my existing stuff through it's paces. It's cool for me to be looking at all this stuff, but I'm not in a place to even remotely justify it at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get caught up in keeping up with the Jones. It's the indian, not the arrow for the vast majority of stuff.

If your Kelty pack isn't falling apart or 8 pounds, spending 2-400 dollars on a new one isn't going to make all that much difference. More comfortable? Yes.

Titanium? I have some. They're over rated. I spent many years boiling water in a GI canteen cup. Upgraded to a Peak 1qt aluminum anodized I found at Goodwill. Went on to spend way too much on various cook systems. I am back to that basic aluminum pot and a GI MRE spoon.

If you want a butane stove, look at the BSR on amazon for 17 dollars and weighs 1 oz. Or make a soda can alcohol stove for free.

I've been through several water filter/systems. The 25 dollar sawyer squeeze and a Smartwater bottle does just fine. You can spend a little to add to it for convenience like the CNOC bag, etc if you wish.

It is so common (and I'm guilty) of always wishing to have the latest and greatest without asking myself if I need or will actually use it. As the toys got more expensive, I was force to use more scrutiny in this evaluation. Do I really need 6k dollar binocular nods? or can I get done what I need to do with my 1200 used PVS7?  Will I ever notice the difference between a 4k dollar JPE rifle and my 800 dollar Sig? Do I really need that 800 dollar cuben fiber 14oz tent or will my 40 dollar 20oz tarp do what I need?

But, I do need thermal and Rite in the Rain. I don't want to die or get cursed at.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#32]
The Warfighter Challenge is coming up next week.

Would anyone be interested if I put together a list of what I'm bringing and why?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Would anyone be interested if I put together a list of what I'm bringing and why?
View Quote

I think somewhere, deep down inside, you already know the answer to that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What is the war fighter challenge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the war fighter challenge?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Warfighter-Challenge-2022/69-660716/
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't get caught up in keeping up with the Jones. It's the indian, not the arrow for the vast majority of stuff.

If your Kelty pack isn't falling apart or 8 pounds, spending 2-400 dollars on a new one isn't going to make all that much difference. More comfortable? Yes.

Titanium? I have some. They're over rated. I spent many years boiling water in a GI canteen cup. Upgraded to a Peak 1qt aluminum anodized I found at Goodwill. Went on to spend way too much on various cook systems. I am back to that basic aluminum pot and a GI MRE spoon.

If you want a butane stove, look at the BSR on amazon for 17 dollars and weighs 1 oz. Or make a soda can alcohol stove for free.

I've been through several water filter/systems. The 25 dollar sawyer squeeze and a Smartwater bottle does just fine. You can spend a little to add to it for convenience like the CNOC bag, etc if you wish.

It is so common (and I'm guilty) of always wishing to have the latest and greatest without asking myself if I need or will actually use it. As the toys got more expensive, I was force to use more scrutiny in this evaluation. Do I really need 6k dollar binocular nods? or can I get done what I need to do with my 1200 used PVS7?  Will I ever notice the difference between a 4k dollar JPE rifle and my 800 dollar Sig? Do I really need that 800 dollar cuben fiber 14oz tent or will my 40 dollar 20oz tarp do what I need?

But, I do need thermal and Rite in the Rain. I don't want to die or get cursed at.
View Quote

Started similar.
Usgi cup.
Then went light aluminum.
Then went with the Stanley cup set 12+ yrs back.
Tossed the cups it came with.
I can fit my soda can stove , wind screen lighter 2 oz bottle of fuel.
Or shove in the Chinese micro one every body was buying off wish.com years back.works great imho.
Sea to summit spork  rounds it out.

Sil nylon is cheap....and if you got basic skill can be sewed up fast into tarps.
I carry solo size ( 6x8) in my bags and poncho size ( 5x7) in smaller kits. Those weigh like 6 oz and fold up size of a wallet. Use the 3/4 in h grosgrain ribbon of choice for tie outs, be simple and just bar tack them. I can post how to video if folks want, again its older but shit dont change..

Camo bug net and veils work well to cover gear you and or break up shelter profiles.

One thing I carry in my pack is a monocular.  I got a cheap Baraska that is about the size of a g17 mag that works great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Are those stainless nalgenes the same size as the plastic ones?

I do have a nesting stainless cup that nalgenes fit into but Its a pain when I want tea and boil water for food at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes that would be great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#41]
On a related note, S2 Underground posted this last night.

Infrared Reflective Camouflage: An Introduction
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Ridgerunner9876  you're exactly right, and it's not about keeping up with the jones. I am trying to learn a lot (and do!) from so many of the great resources and kick-ass people on this page. The dialing in of "best" and "best for me" are different and I'm as guilty as anyone about losing focus with what I have and not what I want. I have cool shit. I have much cooler cool shit than I did at 20. I bet if I keep at it, in the future, I will have even more cool shit.

My kelty bag has lasted this many years because it lives in a closet, and I've used it only once for "backpacking" and the rest is basically car camping. So do I need a new one? absolutely not. Will I go play with new shit at the store and want it? bet your ass.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I do have a nesting stainless cup that nalgenes fit into but Its a pain when I want tea and boil water for food at the same time.
View Quote

Some do. I have two different sets. One from Pathfinder and I don't remember the other (amazon special). AFAIK, the people making the various SS nalgenes have taken into account that there are cups built around the 32oz PE nalgene bottles.

I do like to carry the steel nalgene when it's below freezing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

A Klean Kanteen works well too. Mine nestles in a MSR cup.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lots of examples from the summer of love proving even bump helmets have a place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After watching Reginald Denny (sp?) get bricked live on TV, I'm convinced even a cheap bump helmet is a very good investment. The old pro-tec shells were pretty good, I use mine when I climb a ladder to clean gutters.

Lots of examples from the summer of love proving even bump helmets have a place.

I use a hockey helmet, no visor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

I actually have that very setup in the GHB/BoB, the Nalgene sized steel mug with the steel Nalgene sitting in it (the Nalgene being usable for boiling water is a plus, but I don't necessarily want to boil all the water in it, every time. Plus, the mug has those foldout handles vs needing a bail or pair of pliers or something else to grab a hot steel Nalgene).
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you make camping an every other month long weekend thing, you can justify it.  And you will be more acclimated and prepared to use your equipment.

Don't need the best, and can adapt home goods to your effort.  Also, garage sales can be a good source, or whatever flakebook and craigslist things people use these days.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
On a related note, S2 Underground posted this last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4nmuJ2G6As
View Quote

Hah!  A few of those items are spread out in my gear room as I have been sorting though it. Sad to see the mechanix gloves glow like BATFE SOY BOIS, but the UK desert camo battle shirt did well, as did some others.  Wonder how my Helikon-Tex tops and pants and my sleeping gear look under those conditions ... don't have NV or an IR light.

Gotta check my detergent, as I wash my gear with normal clothes after backpacking trips.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After watching Reginald Denny (sp?) get bricked live on TV, I'm convinced even a cheap bump helmet is a very good investment. The old pro-tec shells were pretty good, I use mine when I climb a ladder to clean gutters.

I've been thinking about picking up one of the Pro-Tec PT A-Bravo bump helmets.  I gave away my Petzl climbing helmet years ago when I quit climbing and the only bump style I've got left is my whitewater kayaking helmet which I've never liked.  I've still got two motorcycle helmets but I'd rather have something lighter and with mounting rails on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#50]
A good YouTube channel for bushcraft, for us smelly Walmart people who have to do it on the cheap:  https://www.youtube.com/user/blackoracle69
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top