Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2022 8:58:09 AM EDT
Never worn safety chaps before but I'm not as quick and nimble as I used to be.
Several friends in the tree business told me to stop being stupid and get some.

Mother nature hit this area hard a few days ago with thunderstorm and high winds.
Got an old 36"-40" post oak that crashed my fence, I'm sure someone will be happy for firewood.

For the saw guys, I will be using:
MS 660 36"
MS 361 25"
CS 2511-T 14"

I talked myself out of buying a 500i yesterday, still want one though

I have no shame, went to get hardhat and left with hat and 500i
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
All the gear, all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always worn chaps. My brother cut his leg pretty bad years ago and I learned from his mistake.
I never would wear a hard hat though. I thought it was dumb. I was cutting a big tussok of azalea and wisteria that had grown into a cedar tree. As I was cutting and pulling to get the off cuts out of the cedar, a dead limb fell and hit me on the head. Wasn't huge but it wobbled my knees and cut me pretty bad. So yeah, all the gear, all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always worn chaps. My brother cut his leg pretty bad years ago and I learned from his mistake.
I never would wear a hard hat though. I thought it was dumb. I was cutting a big tussok of azalea and wisteria that had grown into a cedar tree. As I was cutting and pulling to get the off cuts out of the cedar, a dead limb fell and hit me on the head. Wasn't huge but it wobbled my knees and cut me pretty bad. So yeah, all the gear, all the time.
View Quote

I would look sexy in a hard hat, may grab one this morning
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't work alone either!  Even if it's just your 90 year old mama sitting in the truck with the AC going... a cellphone on the dash can save a life-  yours.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive always been the " grab the saw, wrench, oil and chain file and get busy", but as Ive gotten older I am coming to realize sometimes Im a dumbass, and stuff just happens...
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice saws and chaps OP..be safe.

Reminds me I need to go run mine some and check everything out again. You hear saws buzzing around here all the time due to the storms we're having. Last night was pretty loud. A bolt of lightning hit so close it sounded like it was in the room.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't work alone either!  Even if it's just your 90 year old mama sitting in the truck with the AC going... a cellphone on the dash can save a life-  yours.
View Quote

I investigate work related accidents for insurance companies

2 scenarios that I encounter:

"He was working overthere, I heard a loud crash, I saw him on the ground and asked if he was ok. He didn't respond so I called 911, the ambulance got here and took him to the hospital. Hes hurt but hes gonna be ok"

"He was working alone,  I got back from lunch and found him. I don't know how long he was there before he died..."

If its granny with a cell phone, always have a spotter
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I never wore chaps either until I went to the NWCG  S-212 course (wildland Sawyer).

I always knew I should but....money.  I wish I would have always worn them. I will always wear them from now on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a chainsaw noob but comparing different helmets the store had the biggest thing that stood out to me was the thickness of web harness. After wear Kevlar helmets I went with the widest harness they had.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
And don't forget, kids

Gas powered chainsaws achieve maximum power at high revs

ELECTRIC chainsaws achieve maximum power at Stall, as in wrapped up in your chaps

Be careful
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice saws and chaps OP..be safe.

Reminds me I need to go run mine some and check everything out again. You hear saws buzzing around here all the time due to the storms we're having. Last night was pretty loud. A bolt of lightning hit so close it sounded like it was in the room.

View Quote

Friggin storms, just got the A/C motor replaced last night, power surges fried my fan motor.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The one I have has a mesh face shield and ear muffs attached. Stihl brand. It's fairly comfortable and not to heavy.
Oh, and post sexy pic with chaps and hard hat on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like this?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey I’m about to head out myself. Cutting firewood and clearing my cabin.
Stihl 362 C with a wrap
Stihl 440 with a wrap.

I prefer the swedepro pants as opposed to chaps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Update in op.
I have no will power, got a 500i
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The one I have has a mesh face shield and ear muffs attached. Stihl brand. It's fairly comfortable and not to heavy.
Oh, and post sexy pic with chaps and hard hat on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Stay safe.
My first time to have a mishap, it was minor but glad I had on these hot ass chaps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on the 500i. I predict you will soon be selling that boat anchor 660 now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Congrats on the 500i. I predict you will soon be selling that boat anchor 660 now.
View Quote

The 500i is unfreggin believable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
500 with full wrap and a 32" light bar is the perfect setup.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Was hoping for big revolver and bigger ass cheeks
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#22]
What'd you pay for the 500i?

Need a saw for new property and tempted to go big so I can do occasional milling (under 24" thickness)
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice saw man.

I looked at those when I bought my 462.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been cutting trees since I was a teenager - farm life, heating with wood and a hunting camp.

I have known several pros with ugly scars. One guy had a scar in the middle of his forehead and down his nose - he cut his glasses in half.

My story - ten plus years ago I helped my younger son set up a ladder stand. I was cutting some small trees around it to give him some visibility. I cut one beech about 4" around and it hung up. I would need to go up a pretty steep slope to deal with that, so I left it and cut some more stuff where I was. I woke up with my son checking on me - the tree came down while my back was turned and caught me right in the back of the head. Rang my bell and laid my scalp open. I was lucky, all considered.

Another story - my cousin cuts a lot of wood - to heat four houses. He was out with his tractor this winter dragging in logs and he saw a leaner. He hooked up his tree winch, stood it up and pulled it over. When it came down, it took out a standing dead tree, which took him off the tractor. He woke up under the dead tree. He had a bad concussion, banged up shoulders, one broken leg and torn up ligaments in the other knee. He was able to drag himself to a spot where he could flag down a passing car. He caught covid in the hospital.

I've never used a hard hat or chaps. You have me re-thinking that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been cutting trees since I was a teenager - farm life, heating with wood and a hunting camp.

I have known several pros with ugly scars. One guy had a scar in the middle of his forehead and down his nose - he cut his glasses in half.

My story - ten plus years ago I helped my younger son set up a ladder stand. I was cutting some small trees around it to give him some visibility. I cut one beech about 4" around and it hung up. I would need to go up a pretty steep slope to deal with that, so I left it and cut some more stuff where I was. I woke up with my son checking on me - the tree came down while my back was turned and caught me right in the back of the head. Rang my bell and laid my scalp open. I was lucky, all considered.

Another story - my cousin cuts a lot of wood - to heat four houses. He was out with his tractor this winter dragging in logs and he saw a leaner. He hooked up his tree winch, stood it up and pulled it over. When it came down, it took out a standing dead tree, which took him off the tractor. He woke up under the dead tree. He had a bad concussion, banged up shoulders, one broken leg and torn up ligaments in the other knee. He was able to drag himself to a spot where he could flag down a passing car. He caught covid in the hospital.

View Quote

To be honest I'm there with you after seeing that photo. I "sometimes" wear a helmet when using a saw.
I don't wear the one I have because it's cumbersome, flops, visibility is so so. I end up taking it off, sawing with glasses and ear pro.

Off to research smaller form factor helmets.
Protective gear is no good if you're not wearing it. At that point you effective don't have one, if you don't want to wear it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What'd you pay for the 500i?

Need a saw for new property and tempted to go big so I can do occasional milling (under 24" thickness)
View Quote

$1450 with 25 light bar and chain.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Turned 57 last month, been using saws since I was 15.
Today was my first incident, the $95 spent was worth it.
I don’t pray much, but I looked up at the sky and said thanks..for the message to get chaps and the big ass oak falling away from the house during wind storm.
Guardian Angel…
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I like mine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Cheap safety helmet, chaps, gloves and more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123731348401?hash=item1ccef68bb1:g:XZ4AAOSw-7RVCz9u  Amazon has them also.

I have a few extra sets like the one I posted. Just because I like my hearing, eyes and limbs. PPE boxes have the chainsaw boxes on top of them. The chaps will stop the chain an even better, they stop catclaws (briars).
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
All your saws are impressive and the new 500i is nice

I never wore gear until I cut myself on the knee. Was tired and tripped in some vines after making a cut. I was lucky it wasn't deep and only about 2" cut. You can barely see the scar now.

Bought chaps and a helmet then and wear them most times I am cutting.

Looks like a good workout cutting up that tree. Be careful
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#31]
nice saw
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Chaps have saved my ass twice. Read enough accounts from people that wore them, and some from peoples le that DIDNT. That I spent $100 and got a cheap set of chaps and a helmet with a screen on it.  Clearing some brush I got careless after sharpening it and the chaps snarled the chain right where the inside of my kneecap would’ve been.  I shut off the saw and didn’t restart it until I had a new set of the best chaps the OPE store had. Even in the Alabama summers I wear that. And the helmet has kept a couple of limbs from giving me an ouchie.  

Crap happens FAST. And think about it. That $100 won’t even clean the blood outta your truck IF you can drive yourself to the ER.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes all gear all the time, no safety gear no saw.

People laugh at me when I'm in chaps, woman in leggings & bright yellow chaps. Some say I never needed them you wasted $ on useless gear. One time I said, the chaps cost $98, a trip to the ER & OR is a minimum of $10k, you can d what ever you want. Told them to watch youtube videos on the subject. Green energy saws aren't stopped by chaps but gas saws are.

I didnt know if I needed the hard hat or not, but I bought one and wore it anyway. On day 1 when I first started using my Stihl saws I took a good size limb to the head,  the hard hat made a huge difference. It knocked the hat off my head and pushed me to the ground, I had a mild headache afterward & I decided I would quit for the day. I went out and reassessed my plans to cut my trees a few days later. I'm a lot smarter now.  

I go out and with a pole saw and hook the limbs I want to cut and make a mental note of where to stand and what direction to cut, some of the limbs 16 feet long. I have an escape plan if something should ever go wrong, Iike the limb I cut breaks off the limb directly below it. I've had it happen its scary shit when you weren't expecting it.  We don't have a man in the house who is capable of doing the work, so 2 women trim the trees.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes all gear all the time, no safety gear no saw.

People laugh at me when I'm in chaps, woman in leggings & bright yellow chaps. Some say I never needed them you wasted $ on useless gear. One time I said, the chaps cost $98, a trip to the ER & OR is a minimum of $10k, you can d what ever you want. Told them to watch youtube videos on the subject. Green energy saws aren't stopped by chaps but gas saws are.

I didnt know if I needed the hard hat or not, but I bought one and wore it anyway. On day 1 when I first started using my Stihl saws I took a good size limb to the head,  the hard hat made a huge difference. It knocked the hat off my head and pushed me to the ground, I had a mild headache afterward & I decided I would quit for the day. I went out and reassessed my plans to cut my trees a few days later. I'm a lot smarter now.  

I go out and with a pole saw and hook the limbs I want to cut and make a mental note of where to stand and what direction to cut, some of the limbs 16 feet long. I have an escape plan if something should ever go wrong, Iike the limb I cut breaks off the limb directly below it. I've had it happen its scary shit when you weren't expecting it.  We don't have a man in the house who is capable of doing the work, so 2 women trim the trees.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top