Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2001 12:38:33 AM EDT
I would like some information on becoming a police officer. Can anybody help me out?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Your state may differ from mine, but here in Arizona, specifically the city that I live in, it is a very lengthy process.  First, you must apply, obviously.  Second, candidates must successfully pass a written exam, physical agility test, (much more demanding for male applicants, by the way), psychological exam and an oral board.  If they are hired, they then attend a recognized state police academy, usually around 16 weeks.  After graduation, they spend around 3 months with another veteran officer to attain their "street training."  Hope this helps.

Bud  
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about PA, but the process is similar in AL as described in AR.  Takes some time and some small amount of hassle on your part.  But if it's what you want stick it out.  Decide where and at what level you wish to work (i.e. - municipal; county; state or fed) then contact their PIO.  Good luck.
[X]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#3]
In Florida:  Pre-screen for Academy (basically a criminal record check).  Attend academy of your choice .. from 19 to 23 weeks.  Most county community colleges run an academy.  Do well and graduate in top of class.  Obtain certificate to take the FDLE certification exam.  Pass that. Passing the FDLE exam is your "ticket".  You can now apply for a job with the agencies of your choice.  In some areas, you must go through a prescreening background check before you can apply to any specific agency... sort of a pool of candidates.  In any event, you will have to provide your life history, including neighbors, traffic tickets, arrests, references, grades, smoked a little ganja when I was young and stupid, etc.  Do not lie on these checks.  Do not omit anything that you may feel should remain hidden.... one of the polygraph questions is on your truthfulness on the application.  Go see the shrink and take 3 separate screening exams.  Interview with him/her.  Graded 1 to 5.  Only 5's make it in majors.  Some counties are now hiring 4's in rural areas.  BTW, this is the biggest downer of candidates.  When I was hired, previous 5 applicants failed this part.  Polygraph.  Physical. Some agencies also require a physical agility test.  After you are hired, you go on the road with different Field Training Officers for about 4 months to teach you the real stuff and to observe you and your performance.  Pass that and you are offically a rookie paper calls s*&t magnet kind of guy!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure you want to become an 'oppressor of the people'?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you sure you want to become an 'oppressor of the people'?
View Quote

And be prepared to deal with idiots like this.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I sometimes shoot with a couple of Pa State Police at my local range. If I see them anytime soon I'll ask what's involved and report back. The ones I've met are good people. Stay away from MD.!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've just gone through the hiring process here in Seattle. I don't know about PA but finding a good department and talking to their officer in charge of new hiring is a must. Also, ask for permission to go on ride alongs. These will give you a good feel for the "non-televised" aspects of the job. I'm not going to test with some agencies because I had issues with their jurisdiction (too small or boring) their personnel(old,fat and lazy or borderline Nazis). You can also get a good feel for how people are treated by their agency (salary, benefits, opportunity to promote, equipment, support from city/county council). Get ready...this is harder than any other job market to get into. It took about 6 months - 1 year to get through the polygraph, physical fitness, backgroung check, doctor's exam, psych eval, oral boord etc...plus you have to have at least a 2 year degree here in WA. But it's worth it!! Even if dumbasses think all of us are "oppressors of the people." I help more people than I arrest every day.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The information except from ole sparky is great. Just some additional hints from a real old timer who does backgrounds on new hires, and evaluates the testing process.
1. Put yourself together a complete educational and work history that you can carry with you.
2. Get yourself in the best shape that you can. I know for a fact that in my state, you can get by everything at the department, but be sent home on the first day if you can not pass all of the physical fitness requirements.
3. Do not lie on any part of your application, even if it seems small, put it down. We will find it if you don't.
4. Do not try to make yourself more than you are, expecially during an oral. This is not the beauty pagents where they always say world peace.
5. Learn to make eye contact with the person that is speaking, dress appropriately, and bag any slang or bravado type talk that you may think someone wants to hear, they don't.

It's not an easy process anymore. Remember the larger the agency, the more you become a name and a number unless you are the supreme ass kisser of all times. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My post was facetious, in reference to the attitude displayed in some of Liberty's old posts.  I would think LEO would be the last job he would want.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Being in law enforcement is an honorable profession. Good men and women are always needed.

I think all the other officers will agree that an honest honorable person is worth their weight in gold in police work.

You will find the hours sometime suck, and that public support is an iffy thing. Sometimes it really hurts to bust your a** for people, most of which you don't even know, and some jerk will come along and bad mouth you and give you a hard time because he is still pissed because of what some other LEO may have done to him 5 years ago and he is still holding a grudge.

Then other times it can be wonderfully rewarding and satisfying.

You will come to understand the true meaning to "the thin blue line".    

P.S. - I hope you have a really good sense of humor. It will get you through some times and things that otherwise will drive you nuts.
BTW - I have 26 years of service this month.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:My post was facetious, in reference to the attitude displayed in some of Liberty's old posts.  I would think LEO would be the last job he would want.
View Quote

Haha [:)]. I do tend to be somewhat of a rebel, and now I am thinking about becoming the authority![;)] But, I was thinking of more a local cop (and like that sheriff who has the feds clear stuff in his area with him), who is more close to the people, compared to a fed. I would prefer to be a local, or maybe a county deputy sheriff. And a state trooper looks interesting too.
I was always interested in cops, and of course guns, and laws and such, so I am just exploring my options. I wanted to what was involved in becoming a cop, and see if I could do it. I don't know if I actually be one, but it is tempting.

thanks guys for all your advice and help! I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top