BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For starters - how about you look up the definition of slavery?  I don't see where the judge said they couldn't quit their job or even made a ruling other then a TRO while the details are further looked into.

slavery
/'sle?v(?)ri/
the state of being a slave.
a condition of having to work very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t slavery?

For starters - how about you look up the definition of slavery?  I don't see where the judge said they couldn't quit their job or even made a ruling other then a TRO while the details are further looked into.

slavery
/'sle?v(?)ri/
the state of being a slave.
a condition of having to work very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation.

Who do I have to get approval from if I want to change jobs?

It is very surprising how many people are embracing our current authoritarian nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So they HAVE to work at the old hospital, or else?
View Quote
fucking laughable. What happens when they quit next week .
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
That's not very freedom
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is not a case of the state paying higher wages for temporary work. We have one employer offering higher wages and better working conditions than another. I don’t see where the state has any say in this.

View Quote

It's a case of the state at least partially recognizing the hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars invested into the healthcare industry.  ...and the fact that whether it's "fake news" or not - there's a global pandemic leading to higher death rates than normal and where people's lives likely are at stake.

If you're in the ICU at hospital #1 after paying taxes your whole life - and Nurse "six-dicks-a-weekend" Ratchet who's already overpaid but wants to leave to make 20k more than her already highest-in-the-world salary to fund another Bengal cat after she hits 40 - while you sit there and die from lack of care;  your opinion on this specific issue might shift.  A judge recognizing the obvious here might see that the healthcare industry is a little bit different then the vast majority of other industries in terms of the support provided by the state.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Considering how much of the healthcare industry is funded by our tax dollars - it actually makes sense to limit their mobility.

Nurses, doctors, and the entire healthcare industry are vastly overpaid in comparison to every other country on planet earth.  Do you know what nurses make in other first world countries like Germany?  A pittance compared to the USA.

The deep issues with our health care system and the extortionary rates charged by the people working within it lead me to the conclusion that I give zero fucks about their predicament here.

Quite frankly - they were overpaid at the hospital they were working at and are taking advantage of the situation to be even more overpaid.

On the surface, the administrators comment about the higher salaries not making sense in the long-term are probably 1000% correct.

Does that mean I agree with the judge's decision?  No...but even with some of the most conservative legislatures in the country (Texas) - we see that there's ample reason to push back against medical staff wage inflation.

Now I understand what I wrote above requires a 3-digit IQ to properly analyze so I totally expect some of you to push back.
View Quote

Sorry if I don't have (really don't know) the "3-digit IQ" but you failed to mention that the incredible expansion of the US health care industry has been driven, to a large degree, by our method of funding it, primarily insurance companies that have traditionally just "paid the bill" and passed the costs on to individuals and employers. Certainly not the fault of the employees that they have been "overpaid". Employees just "follow the money" in seeking career fields. Sounds like you are advocating .gov control of the entire health care industry, i.e. socialized medicine, with wages dictated by .gov.

I have a friend that lived in Canada as a child. We have talked about their health care system and the heavy tax burden that funds it.

At this point; I wonder if a free-market solution is even possible.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How is there a valid noncompete for mundane shit like being a nurse or radiology tech?
View Quote

Dude I had to sign one years back when I checked tags on fire extinguishers for a fire protection company making $10k a year
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Texas legislature seems to think that what you're discussing should be forbidden.  Nurses shouldn't be given 20k more - they're already vastly overpaid compared to every other first world nation.

So maybe your hospital should have sued.  I guess we'll have to wait for the results.

If the judge doesn't have the capacity to do anything - than why are you reading this thread, posting about it, or caring about what then equates to "nothing?"    I guess he might have the capacity eh'?
View Quote

What did the Texas legislature do? I don’t see how the state can set maximum salary levels.

I know Texas would not hire temporary nurses from hospitals within Texas but that is not the same thing. In this cases, the state of Texas was the employer and they have the right to set the wage and decide who they hire.

I have family who are RNs. I don’t think they are over paid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Who do I have to get approval from if I want to change jobs?

It is very surprising how many people are embracing our current authoritarian nightmare.
View Quote

I don't know. I guess it depends.  Let's start with a question.  Are you a healthcare worker that has your much-higher-then-the-entire-world salary funded through the taxes of your fellow citizens while a global pandemic has been declared?

If not, I'm guessing the answer to your obtuse question is either no one or your wife if she wears the pants.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry Vanya, the group application for you and your comrades to transfer to tractor plant #643 has been denied.

You will stay at tractor plant #447.

All hail the Fatherland!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry if I don't have (really don't know) the "3-digit IQ" but you failed to mention that the incredible expansion of the US health care industry has been driven, to a large degree, by our method of funding it, primarily insurance companies that have traditionally just "paid the bill" and passed the costs on to individuals and employers. Certainly not the fault of the employees that they have been "overpaid". Employees just "follow the money" in seeking career fields. Sounds like you are advocating .gov control of the entire health care industry, i.e. socialized medicine, with wages dictated by .gov.

I have a friend that lived in Canada as a child. We have talked about their health care system and the heavy tax burden that funds it.

View Quote

No I'm not advocating .gov control of the health care industry.

There's other aspects of the 3 digit IQ to consider like - "do health care associations and unions work to artificially limit the number of positions in order to grossly overinflate their salaries in comparison to the rest of the Western world?"  ...and then - "who pays for that?"   ...the answer is the user.

So should grandma die in the ICU of the first hospital because Nurse Sally Ratchet wants to make another 20k of our money?  The Texas legislature which is completely controlled by Republicans has decided - "no."
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
laws were put in place to prevent existing full time healthcare workers from quitting to become emergency workers (which were not permanent positions, but paid more).  The real problem was they needed more workers and wanted to induce workers who had left the work force to come back to fulfill short term shortages - having workers paying musical jobs did nothing to increase the number of healthcare workers.
View Quote

If supply is inelastic, and demand increases, the wage must go up.

“Musical jobs“ is the market signal and the inevitable outcome until wages intersect the demand curve. Thus, rising wages is a force of nature and the only moral and ethical way to solve the problem in the current crisis.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you have a biased opinion.  My sister is also an RN.

Yes - they are overpaid in comparison to the entire Western world.  Further, it's a job capable of being performed by women of average intellect. The fact that it's mostly women demonstrates the lack of rigor required as women typically have less incentive to acquire currency then men due to the lack of sexual market value it provides them.

RNs are absolutely overpaid at every hospital in the USA in comparison with every other first-world Western nation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a case of the state at least partially recognizing the hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars invested into the healthcare industry.  ...and the fact that whether it's "fake news" or not - there's a global pandemic leading to higher death rates than normal and where people's lives likely are at stake.

If you're in the ICU at hospital #1 after paying taxes your whole life - and Nurse "six-dicks-a-weekend" Ratchet who's already overpaid but wants to leave to make 20k more than her already highest-in-the-world salary to fund another Bengal cat after she hits 40 - while you sit there and die from lack of care;  your opinion on this specific issue might shift.  A judge recognizing the obvious here might see that the healthcare industry is a little bit different then the vast majority of other industries in terms of the support provided by the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not a case of the state paying higher wages for temporary work. We have one employer offering higher wages and better working conditions than another. I don’t see where the state has any say in this.

It sounds like you have a real problem with how much nurses are paid. The state does not have the right to set maximum wages. They can and do set how much they will pay for medical procedures and that does impact wages but it is not the same thing.

If you watch the video, we are talking about six techs and a nurse.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

“Musical jobs“ is the market signal and the inevitable outcome until wages intersect the demand curve. Thus, rising wages is a force of nature and the only moral and ethical way to solve the problem in the current crisis.

View Quote

Thanks for that high-school level explanation with your full consideration of the extent to that which the health care market is government funded.  We're all much smarter now and should all pay higher taxes to make sure that nurses increase their salaries even further beyond the rest of the Western world.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If I were them Id go get jobs at Home Depot or some other job like that to get some cash coming in while they wait it out.  I would not go back to the original employer for shit.  Wait it out with a little cash coming in until this hot garbage gets overturned.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes - they are overpaid in comparison to the entire Western world.  Further, it's a job capable of being performed by women of average intellect. The fact that it's mostly women demonstrates the lack of rigor required as women typically have less incentive to acquire currency then men due to the lack of sexual market value it provides them.

RNs are absolutely overpaid at every hospital in the USA in comparison with every other first-world Western nation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just noticed that you are in WI. Do you work for one of the hospitals or have any connection to them?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It sounds like you have a real problem with how much nurses are paid. The state does not have the right to set maximum wages. They can and do set how much they will pay for medical procedures and that does impact wages but it is not the same thing.

View Quote

I of course do have an issue with my and your tax dollars being used to fund healthcare workers at extortionary rates beyond what a true free market supports and beyond what the rest of the free world pays.  ...and have beyond a high-school level of economics expertise to justify my position.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just noticed that you are in WI. Do you work for one of the hospitals or have any connection to them?
View Quote

No.  I don't even know where these hospitals are at and actually live and work in both the Middle East and Europe most of the year.

Is your wife or girlfriend a nurse?  Why do you support extortionary salaries for workers who are funded by our tax dollars during a declared pandemic?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is going to come down to the simple issue of this: can hospital #1 prevent hospital #2 from hiring their (former) employees. The judge may be looking at the big picture issues you mention but none of that is codified in law. Fact is that employees in general, and large numbers of them, (ref all of the "I can't get employees" threads here in GD) have been changing jobs to get pay increases that their former employers wouldn't or couldn't pay. And no legal basis for lawsuits there either.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for that high-school level explanation with your full consideration of the extent to that which the health care market is government funded.  We're all much smarter now and should all pay higher taxes to make sure that nurses increase their salaries even further beyond the rest of the Western world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re welcome.

It doesn’t matter what the rest of the western world pays. Such arguments are non sequitur to the topic. The current market is the current market, current available labor is the available current labor. Economic laws neither bend nor break.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game. Pay up or do without.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Who gets to set the correct wage for these nurses?    The judge sounds like he is going to set the wage and should then order all hospitals in his jurisdiction to adjust to this new level either up or down.   If the hospitals "work it out" it would seem then a lawsuit for conspiracy would be in order.   The one thing I do know is that the wages for the lawyers involved will not be adjusted though maybe the judge can do that as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like forced labor from the judge.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I work IR. Most people don’t realize what IR does and if you don’t have an IR department half the hospital basically stops and a bunch of people die. We are just 13 people in mine. We have had job openings with $20,000 sign on bonuses and starting pay $30 something an hour for two years now I believe. The IR nurses get $40-50ish to start. All you need is a two year radiology degree (R) and IR (VI) training to be a technologist. That hospital just doesn’t want to hire travelers because IR travelers are unicorns. Mine is getting around $150.00 an hour I heard. Working in IR is slavery under normal conditions, this situation if fucking insane. They just don’t want to or can’t discharge the hundreds of patients that need IR every week. If this is allowed to stand it will spread to every job. Your employer will make you stay until the other hospitals offer goes away. IR makes $100’s of millions for a large hospital.

Acute renal failure? IR for a stat dialysis catheter.
Can’t get an IV patient crashing, call IR for a stat PICC.
Patient going septic? Call IR for a stat IJ catheter.
Leg, arm, etc… turning blue? Stat IR venogram.
Patient can’t breathe? Stat IVC filter and saddle PE lysis or aspiration.
Patient comes in with a Stroke, IR to perform a penumbra aspiration and fix it.
Patent comes in with a cranial aneurysm? IR will coil it and fix it.
Patent comes in with a kidney dying from hydronephrosis? IR will do a renal cath and if it’s a stone, make a path through your back so the surgeon can get it fixed.
Dying of cancer? IR will put a mediport into your chest so you don’t.
Numbness or confusion? IR will do a spinal tap to get samples so you can be fixed.
Bleeding in your gut or brain? IR will stop the bleed without surgery or where surgery will kill you.
Your grandkid graduating in a year and you have terminal liver cancer and have one month to live? We let you go to your grandkids graduation. We stent your biliary duct, open it back up repeatedly when the cancer closes it to kill you. We use radio frequency ablation to burn and shrink the liver tumors so your grandkid will always remember you were there.

The above is less than half of what IR does.
The smallest least known department, until you need us.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's other aspects of the 3 digit IQ to consider like - "do health care associations and unions work to artificially limit the number of positions in order to grossly overinflate their salaries in comparison to the rest of the Western world?"  ...and then - "who pays for that?"   ...the answer is the user.

So should grandma die in the ICU of the first hospital because Nurse Sally Ratchet wants to make another 20k of our money?  The Texas legislature which is completely controlled by Republicans has decided - "no."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say that you're not advocating socialized medicine but only .gov controls are going to limit health care worker wages, which will seriously impact people's interest in entering that field. Grandma might die anyways due to lack of staffing because of shit wages.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And no legal basis for lawsuits there either.
View Quote

Without reading the claim, I would bet money there is some sort of legal basis behind it. The unprecedented public level of economic support for the health care industry and the pandemic probably relate to prior case law from some point in American history.

In any case, my bet is based on the fact that the lawyer that wrote up the paperwork and the judge who read it seem to at least partially disagree with you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#26]
You could be assured I'd never step foot in the old hospital again.  I'd be a day laborer to get by before I worked there again.

FUCK them.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The TRO is against the hospital that hired them, not the seven ex employees. The hospital cannot put them to work while their is a TRO forbidding it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just show up at your new job on Monday and don't worry about it.... paying attention to liberal attention whores just causes frustration.

The TRO is against the hospital that hired them, not the seven ex employees. The hospital cannot put them to work while their is a TRO forbidding it.

Hopefully the employees stay home and not give their former employer the satisfaction.

I am an employer and would donate to a gofundme to help them stay home.  In the absence of a non-compete this is BS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You’re welcome.

It doesn’t matter what the rest of the western world pays. Such arguments are non sequitur to the topic. The current market is the current market, current available labor is the available current labor. Economic laws neither bend nor break.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game. Pay up or do without.
View Quote

The rest of the world's payment to nurses just proves what salary we should expect.  In most industries - they're relatively aligned.

In any case, what does matter is the overwhelming public-sector compensation to the healthcare industry and the declared pandemic...  exactly why the Republican Texas legislature changed their laws to prevent taxpayer abuse by Nurse Sally Ratchet & Co.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In Soviet Union you work for the good of the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would not show up at the now former assholes no matter what unless the police carry me there

Forcing you into a place and forcing you to work? When did slavery become legal again?

In Soviet Union you work for the good of the state.

And I can see AOC with those buck ass donkey teeth laughing and nodding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would not show up at the now former assholes no matter what unless the police carry me there
View Quote

Believe it or not, but I've heard the usual types floating that idea around in my industry - trucking.

"Oh? Truckers are refusing to drive because of vax mandates? Then have the police or NG force them to at gunpoint."

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No.  I don't even know where these hospitals are at and actually live and work in both the Middle East and Europe most of the year.

Is your wife or girlfriend a nurse?  Why do you support extortionary salaries for workers who are funded by our tax dollars during a declared pandemic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

We are getting off the subject. The legal issue is not how much they are paid. The issue is absent a contract, does the old hospital have the right to keep another hospital from hiring them? The hospital is arguing that the public welfare should prevent the new hospital from hiring their staff. Since the judge cannot order the workers to work at their old hospital, the whole case does not make sense.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You say that you're not advocating socialized medicine but only .gov controls are going to limit health care worker wages, which will seriously impact people's interest in entering that field. Grandma might die anyways due to lack of staffing because of shit wages.
View Quote

Health care wages are artificially inflated in America by limits placed on the total amount of workers in the profession through their own industry players like the AMA.

Grandma will be fine;  she doesn't need someone with a four year nursing degree to wipe her asshole for $50/hr of your and my tax money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How is there a valid noncompete for mundane shit like being a nurse or radiology tech?
View Quote

No such thing as a noncompete for IR technologists.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not slavery.

It IS fascism by very definition. State controlled, privately held business.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No.

We are getting off the subject. The legal issue is not how much they are paid. The issue is absent a contract, does the old hospital have the right to keep another hospital from hiring them? The hospital is arguing that the public welfare should prevent the new hospital from hiring their staff. Since the judge cannot order the workers to work at their old hospital, the whole case does not make sense.
View Quote

...and maybe the judge is looking at the legal reasoning and saying - "this is all my fucking tax money" and my mother is at hospital #1 dying in the ICU because Nurse Sally Ratchet wants to profiteer with my and her tax dollars during a pandemic.  We have controls on every other industry during national emergencies.  Defense production act; restrictions on Monopoly power - etc. Healthcare definitely operates in a unique space - mostly to the benefit of the workers considering they're substantially higher paid then everywhere else on Planet Earth which simply isn't the case for most industries.

To be clear - I'm not sure what the final ruling or legal analysis will be.  If I had to guess, the TRO will go away and they'll be allowed to transfer with the judge saying it's up to the legislature to codify something into law.  I'm just not digging my head in the sand and espousing high school economics "supply demand" derp to make my point (not saying you were either).
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Health care wages are artificially inflated in America by limits placed on the total amount of workers in the profession through their own industry players like the AMA.

Grandma will be fine;  she doesn't need someone with a four year nursing degree to wipe her asshole for $50/hr of your and my tax money.
View Quote

I don’t think you know what a nurse does.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Considering how much of the healthcare industry is funded by our tax dollars - it actually makes sense to limit their mobility.

Nurses, doctors, and the entire healthcare industry are vastly overpaid in comparison to every other country on planet earth.  Do you know what nurses make in other first world countries like Germany?  A pittance compared to the USA.

The deep issues with our health care system and the extortionary rates charged by the people working within it lead me to the conclusion that I give zero fucks about their predicament here.

Quite frankly - they were overpaid at the hospital they were working at and are taking advantage of the situation to be even more overpaid.

On the surface, the administrators comment about the higher salaries not making sense in the long-term are probably 1000% correct.

Does that mean I agree with the judge's decision?  No...but even with some of the most conservative legislatures in the country (Texas) - we see that there's ample reason to push back against medical staff wage inflation.

Now I understand what I wrote above requires a 3-digit IQ to properly analyze so I totally expect some of you to push back.
View Quote

Comparing to a borderline command economy to explain what a nurse should be worth is bad argument IMHO.

Nurses should negotiate for as much as they can get both in good times and bad.  The getting is good now so they should get while the getting is good.  There will be times in the future when the market for their skills isn't so good as is often the case with lots of markets.

This idea that ANYONE other than themselves and their  potential employers can decide how much is too much or too little is absurd.

The free market solution here is for nurses to "overpaid" long enough to attract new people to the profession to balance things out.  Letting a judge stick his dick in it doesn't help the problem long term.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Generally speaking, competitors should not be colluding, in this case to depress the wages of employees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hospital suing told the employees who want to leave to ignore the judges order and come back to work stating that it’s unenforceable. Not kidding

From Leyto’s video, it appeared that the order was only that they can’t work at the new employer.  Not they they have to work at the old hospital or can’t work at the old hospital.

Judge is a POS and deserves ass cancer along with everyone from the old hospital that is involved with this travesty.

Lehto says the judge cannot force them to work for their old hospital, something about we ended slavery. He thinks the judge is bluffing and trying to get the two hospitals to come to an agreement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5mV5V-pHs

Generally speaking, competitors should not be colluding, in this case to depress the wages of employees.

Bingo! Judge is encouraging competitors to participate in collusion!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's not slavery.

It IS fascism by very definition. State controlled, privately held business.
View Quote

"Privately held" - yet funded by hundreds of billions of state money and your and my tax dollars which lead to vastly higher wages then every other nation on the planet.  Let me know what other industry I am required by law to financially support and I'll show you how they have similar labor controls (e.g. military)
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don’t think you know what a nurse does.
View Quote

Sure I do - my sister is one and I've been in hospitals plenty of times;  it's mostly the 2-year nurses that do the ass-wiping but that's beyond the point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There hasn't been 200-300% inflation over the last few years.  I'd estimate 40-50% or so on the high-end of luxury goods and less than that the further you crawl down the price ladder.

Nurses are taking advantage of the pandemic using billions and billions of our tax dollars to fund their salaries.  If there was a true free market in the health care industry then maybe that would be okay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is simply the effects of ongoing inflation in our economy.  
The nurses are lucky enough that they can jump into travel nurse jobs with "inflation-corrected" salaries.

Most workers aren't in a similar position to transfer and demand higher pay so easily, and are now suffering massive ongoing pay cuts in their actual purchasing power.

There hasn't been 200-300% inflation over the last few years.  I'd estimate 40-50% or so on the high-end of luxury goods and less than that the further you crawl down the price ladder.

Nurses are taking advantage of the pandemic using billions and billions of our tax dollars to fund their salaries.  If there was a true free market in the health care industry then maybe that would be okay.

The nurses don't hold the purse strings on pandemic tax dollars.  They are players in the game that was set for them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

...and maybe the judge is looking at the legal reasoning and saying - "this is all my fucking tax money" and my mother is at hospital #1 dying in the ICU because Nurse Sally Ratchet wants to profiteer with my and her tax dollars during a pandemic.  We have controls on every other industry during national emergencies.  Defense production act; restrictions on Monopoly power - etc. Healthcare definitely operates in a unique space - mostly to the benefit of the workers considering they're substantially higher paid then everywhere else on Planet Earth which simply isn't the case for most industries.

To be clear - I'm not sure what the final ruling or legal analysis will be.  If I had to guess, the TRO will go away and they'll be allowed to transfer with the judge saying it's up to the legislature to codify something into law.  I'm just not digging my head in the sand and espousing high school economics "supply demand" derp to make my point (not saying you were either).
View Quote

At least you acknowledge what most likely will happen. I don’t see the legislation setting wage scales as either constitutional or even desirable. We all know what kind of governments set wages and it is not something we want here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I of course do have an issue with my and your tax dollars being used to fund healthcare workers at extortionary rates beyond what a true free market supports and beyond what the rest of the free world pays.  ...and have beyond a high-school level of economics expertise to justify my position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have repeatedly used that phrase here. Again, not having that "3-digit IQ", I question that blanket statement. Do you consider Medicare "tax dollars" and, if so; what about my (and my employer's) years of paying into that system? Are there numbers available on "tax dollars" spent on healthcare vs Medicare and private insurance?

You imply that the medical industry is 100% funded by tax dollars and then you go on to use that as justification for complaining about "extortionary rates" of pay for employees. I think you might be "just a bit" off base on that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The free market solution here is for nurses to "overpaid" long enough to attract new people to the profession to balance things out.  Letting a judge stick his dick in it doesn't help the problem long term.
View Quote

Which of course might be the case if they hadn't been in cahoots with politicians to make artificially high barriers to entry into the profession for generations.

I guess you're okay with them taking more and more of your tax dollars while espousing "muh free market" but some of us are not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#45]
How many employees did this hospital group fire for not getting the jab?

Fuck them.
And fuck that piece of shit judge.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The nurses don't hold the purse strings on pandemic tax dollars.  They are players in the game that was set for them.
View Quote

False - they set the game in collusion with politicians.  Look up the different medical associations from doctors to nurses and examine how they've worked to craft legislation limiting the inflow of new labor into their field in order to inflate their salaries.

It's worked - they're the highest paid on the planet off the backs of taxpayers.

A passing score on the MCAT doesn't get you a seat.  Why not?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You have repeatedly used that phrase here. Again, not having that "3-digit IQ", I question that blanket statement. Do you consider Medicare "tax dollars" and, if so; what about my (and my employer's) years of paying into that system? Are there numbers available on "tax dollars" spent on healthcare vs Medicare and private insurance?

You imply that the medical industry is 100% funded by tax dollars and then you go on to use that as justification for complaining about "extortionary rates" of pay for employees. I think you might be "just a bit" off base on that.
View Quote

I'm sure those stats are available somewhere but since some sort of insurance is mandatory in our country - the breakdown wouldn't really change or affect my argument. If I was forced by law to pay for another product where the employees were already higher compensated then the entire Western world - I also wouldn't find many fucks to give over their predicament during a declared pandemic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Let me guess ... democrat judge?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hospital A is making hiring its employees less appealing to hospital B (or any other competitor).  Its sending the message, if you hire our employees we will delay the hire.  We will also make you eat a bunch of legal fees.  We will make it too costly and time consuming to hire our employees.

Its also sending a message to its current employees, it's too costly, risky, and time consuming for us to just let you quit.

View Quote

They just instantly cut their productivity and Hcap scores in half. Many many ways you can cost a hospital millions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#50]
We can’t get anyone to apply anymore! Time til ThedaCare changes it’s name and rebrands…5…4…3…2…
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top