User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger American Ranch (Page 7 of 47)
Page / 47
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CherokeeRose:
I got one nib, had geasy sand under the thread protector, and the bolt was so rough it cycled like dry sandpaper.took an hour of polishing to get it to cycle semi smoothly.

View Quote

Everything is a little rough on them but they break in just fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Range day with the new American Ranch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/2BD26BF0-4C8A-47A3-981C-EE6D2938E57D_jpe-2327111.JPG
It was more accurate than I expected with a variety of factory 7.62x39, both brass and steel case.

The action  was rough and it was difficult to close the bolt on some cases.  The factory bolt handle did not impress.  

Here’s a YouTube video on using JB Bore Paste to lap the bolt in the action.  Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1xsveHON-I
View Quote

What rings are you using?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Smashy:

View Quote

Look like Leupold Low QDs
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By B2k4E:
Mine in .300 Blackout, SBR’d to 11” and running a Dead Air Sandman L.

One of these days I’ll probably get a lighter, dedicated  can for it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49040331017_6d4b3f08bd_h.jpg
View Quote

That’s the ticket… exactly what the gun was made for, has to be stupid quiet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
You better do your research before you go down the Ruger American 223 AICS road as a lot of them don't work. Even Magpul has a warning that their mag won't work. The other mag manufacturers won't guarantee them.  If you want an American 223 stick with AR mags.
View Quote

Magpul released new .223 AICS mags… I just used them at the range today. They work fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

It is not a must, but I'm guessing it probably makes it easier.

I was able to swap out my bolt handle without one by following the directions in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUXShUgJco

And Glades Armory bolt handles are a cheaper alternative to Anarchy Outdoors bolt handles.  Glades bolt handles are $55 with the knob.  Anarchy's bolt handles are $70 without a knob, knobs are $40 or more.

https://gladesarmory.com/product-category/ruger/ruger-american-centerfire-right-hand/

My X39 Ranch with Glade's 1.75 black anodized tactical knob bolt handle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/20210208_183559_jpg-2206102.JPG

Compared to factory handle

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/20210208_182916_jpg-2206103.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for the tip. I just received and installed one of those today.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/2BD26BF0-4C8A-47A3-981C-EE6D2938E57D_jpe-2327111.JPG
It was more accurate than I expected with a variety of factory 7.62x39, both brass and steel case.

The action  was rough and it was difficult to close the bolt on some cases.  The factory bolt handle did not impress.  

Here’s a YouTube video on using JB Bore Paste to lap the bolt in the action.  Any thoughts?

View Quote

What scope is that?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Correct!
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PA452:

What scope is that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PA452:

What scope is that?

Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32

Unfortunately no longer made.  A step up in glass over the regular Diamondback and side adjustable parallax.  I have a couple of these scopes all in QD rings I use on various 22 rifles.  

It was a good choice for this Ruger American Ranch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Yes.jpg
Every "what should Ruger build" thread I say an 8" 300BO pistol braced version... Seems like a no-brainer since they already make pistol versions of 10/22 and PC.
It would also help keep Bill spinning at 1500 RPM which powers the Ruger factory (but he might like it since it's larger than a canned ham).
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ENGCPT] [#11]
Grabagun has the 300bo ranch listed as in stock.

VERY tempting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Yes.jpg
Every "what should Ruger build" thread I say an 8" 300BO pistol braced version... Seems like a no-brainer since they already make pistol versions of 10/22 and PC.
It would also help keep Bill spinning at 1500 RPM which powers the Ruger factory (but he might like it since it's larger than a canned ham).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Yes.jpg

God I can not stand that cartridge.

Make the 5.56, 300memeout, and 7.62x39 pistols and I would buy two more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By StillStanding52:
I've been thinking of this one Ruger Predator, 22" barrel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89990/Bang_jpg-2205970.JPG

I think Grabagun has them in stock.
View Quote

Bummer the .308 is not available with a 22" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Magpul released new .223 AICS mags… I just used them at the range today. They work fine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
You better do your research before you go down the Ruger American 223 AICS road as a lot of them don't work. Even Magpul has a warning that their mag won't work. The other mag manufacturers won't guarantee them.  If you want an American 223 stick with AR mags.

They don’t work in mine and Magpul specifically says they don’t recommend them for the Ruger American rifles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By peacematu:
Originally Posted By StillStanding52:
I've been thinking of this one Ruger Predator, 22" barrel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89990/Bang_jpg-2205970.JPG

I think Grabagun has them in stock.

Wonder why they quit making them I'm pretty sure they used to. They still list a 22" 308 Left Handed which is weird. 18" will get it done and probably be great with a can.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
This guy converts the stock to use AK mags.

Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 AK-47 magazine conversion

Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 takes a proper mag!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#17]
This guy converts the stock to use AK mags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCFKQ_9BCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztwC8-Gvcsw
View Quote

Very interesting.  

At first I thought I'd hate the Mini-30 mag, but at least my 5 rounder has functioned without issue.  I actually like the lower profile of the 5 round Mini-30 mag for a hunting rifle.  I may stick with a Mini-30 mag.  

But this conversion is tempting.  I do have a few 10 round MagPul AK mags kicking around for load test shooting off a bench
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Very interesting.  

At first I thought I'd hate the Mini-30 mag, but at least my 5 rounder has functioned without issue.  I actually like the lower profile of the 5 round Mini-30 mag for a hunting rifle.  I may stick with a Mini-30 mag.  

But this conversion is tempting.  I do have a few 10 round MagPul AK mags kicking around for load test shooting off a bench
View Quote

I won't be doing it. I have a bunch of 20 round Mini30 mags that work fine in mine, so I'm good. But I thought it was interesting.

In this video he shows the conversion half-way done:

https://youtube.com/shorts/fQ7n2HZWX3A?feature=share

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Very interesting.  

View Quote

In my experience the Ruger Mini mags were always good to go. Over the years we sold numerous aftermarket mags that were hit and miss but never saw a problem with factory mags.

All mags have variances but the AK pattern mags have a lot. I totally get why Ruger stuck with their in house mag.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I do love my 556 Ranch - do they make a true 5 round size AR mag....just for hunting would be sweet.

Red
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
I do love my 556 Ranch - do they make a true 5 round size AR mag....just for hunting would be sweet.

Red
View Quote

@badredfish

At times there have been on the market some 5.56 AR style magazines that are shorter than a typical 10 rounder.  Magnetospeed made a "minimag" that held three rounds of 5.56 and was essentially a flush fit on the Ruger American.  I'm not sure if any are currently available.

Here's a thread about some of the low capacity mags, and an attempt to DIY it:

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/diy-short-ar-style-magazines-for-ruger-american-rifles.393163/
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Just picked up a RAR in 300blk.  Setup with a Thunder Chicken and Eotech 1-6, its a giggle factory every trigger pull!  Grabbed some 110gr TAC-TX and 190gr Sub-X bullets.  Time to reload.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Took mine out to the range again.  At 100 yards, most of the factory ammo I tried shot patterns.  Except the Belom.  The Serbs make some good stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dezul] [#24]
Attachment Attached File

This is my RAP 308 with Diamondback Tactical on it.

*not sure how to rotate picture properly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By dezul:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443560/06593920-26EC-442A-9BD9-4F8702859B96_jpe-2335621.JPG

This is my RAP 308 with Diamondback Tactical on it.

*not sure how to rotate picture properly.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I installed the AD Arms cocking piece from Anarchyoutdoors.com and am now getting light primer strikes.

I had to hit each round twice before it would go off. This is the only change I've made to the rifle and it functioned fine before. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bassman2:
I installed the AD Arms cocking piece from Anarchyoutdoors.com and am now getting light primer strikes.

I had to hit each round twice before it would go off. This is the only change I've made to the rifle and it functioned fine before. Any ideas?
View Quote

go back to where you made the change, make sure you installed the part correctly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By gwitness:

go back to where you made the change, make sure you installed the part correctly.
View Quote

Agreed, following and interested in the outcome of this; all of my Ruger American's have the AD Arms billet cocking piece, zero issues with any of them.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:23:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#29]

View All Quotes

This.  Over the years whenever I've modified a gun that was previously working and then suddenly didn't, it was usually operator error or a problem with the new parts.  

Now my SOP in an instance like t his is to take the gun apart back to where I made the modification, paying close attention to how everything is fitting together, and then carefully start over.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I realize this an American Ranch Thread, but can anyone source a Ruger Precision in 5.56?

Yes I know they are no longer made, but I come up empty even on GB.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ARandomClaymore:
I realize this an American Ranch Thread, but can anyone source a Ruger Precision in 5.56?

Yes I know they are no longer made, but I come up empty even on GB.
View Quote

They’ve been unobtainable for a long time. I don’t know why they killed them off so soon they either had problems or didn’t sell.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:44:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bassman2] [#32]
I removed the bolt and inspected the cocking piece. I don't understand how it could be installed incorrectly.  It only goes on one way, and the pin hole aligns just right. If it was threaded too far on, the pin wouldn't align.

I need to completely disassemble and inspect the firing pin to look for damage. Maybe I messed it up reseting the spring. That's the only thing I can think of...

Well - took it apart, put it back together and now it works! The only thing I can figure out is Maybe the cocking piece was threaded on a turn too far??? Anyway, it works now and I have a dialed in subsonic coyote killer!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I removed the bolt and inspected the cocking piece. I don't understand how it could be installed incorrectly.  It only goes on one way, and the pin hole aligns just right. If it was threaded too far on, the pin wouldn't align.

I need to completely disassemble and inspect the firing pin to look for damage. Maybe I messed it up reseting the spring. That's the only thing I can think of...

Well - took it apart, put it back together and now it works! The only thing I can figure out is Maybe the cocking piece was threaded on a turn too far??? Anyway, it works now and I have a dialed in subsonic coyote killer!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

If it was giving light primer strikes before, but now after try #2 it isn't I would guess something about your first installation was interfering with the firing pin spring.  

In any case, glad to hear 2nd time's the charm and it's unfucked
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

If it was giving light primer strikes before, but now after try #2 it isn't I would guess something about your first installation was interfering with the firing pin spring.  

In any case, glad to hear 2nd time's the charm and it's unfucked
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I know it's not an American Ranch, it's a Predator #6974 in .308, but I found it this morning and at $485 I couldn't resist.  Next up, Anarchy Outdoors for all the bolt upgrade goodies.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Just picked up an American Ranch in 7.62x39 last weekend.  Was visiting my mother and stopped by the LGS and they had 3 or 4 in the rack.  One of them was in x39.  I had been thinking about getting one for a few months but couldn’t find it in stock.  They had it marked at $520 so I bought it.  I have a Vortex Strike Eagle sitting in the box that I think I will put on it.  Still debating doing the AR mag well conversion.  This thing is going to end up costing me more money as I now need to get a.30 suppressor.😁
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Wheelgunnut:
Just picked up an American Ranch in 7.62x39 last weekend.  Was visiting my mother and stopped by the LGS and they had 3 or 4 in the rack.  One of them was in x39.  I had been thinking about getting one for a few months but couldn’t find it in stock.  They had it marked at $520 so I bought it.  I have a Vortex Strike Eagle sitting in the box that I think I will put on it.  Still debating doing the AR mag well conversion.  This thing is going to end up costing me more money as I now need to get a.30 suppressor.😁
View Quote

That's a good price these days.  I paid +$100 more than that.  I still feel slightly dirty about paying that much, but I really wanted the rifle.  

I guess the upside is with today's ammo prices $100 isn't really that much extra to save towards ammo
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I may or may not have a couple of thousand rounds I bought back before the price went up stashed away 🤫😁
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump...

What ammo are you running in your 556 Ranch?

Red
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#41]
The one time I shot mine on paper, it grouped really well with Federal Fusion. Anxious to take it out again and shoot it beyond 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked up the X39 version at Academy in Waxahachie TX yesterday. They had one more left @ $499.

After cleaning the preservative off and cycling it about 100 times it smoothed out considerably. Looking forward to trying it with my Saker 762 and PPU subsonics.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By farscrape:
Picked up the X39 version at Academy in Waxahachie TX yesterday. They had one more left @ $499.

After cleaning the preservative off and cycling it about 100 times it smoothed out considerably. Looking forward to trying it with my Saker 762 and PPU subsonics.
View Quote

That’s a good price.  I paid a good bit more for mine a few months  back
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I really dislike the bolt hood open that happens with the Mini-30 mags in my 7.62x39 RAR.

I think I’m going to try and remove sone of the follower tab that acts to lock the bolt for the last round hold open.

LRBHO is good for semis but sucks for bolt action.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zardoz] [#45]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Does changing the cocking piece really make that big of a difference? Part of me says change it, part of me says if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
View Quote

It didn't make a bit of difference in mine, that I can tell, anyway.
The Glades Armory bolt handle, on the other hand, is a MUST have, IMO.

I've got mine set up as a simple general-purpose rifle. I really like it as it is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#46]
My Ruger Ranch 7.62xCommie might be my favorite rifle.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#47]
Originally Posted By Zardoz:

I've got mine set up as a simple general-purpose rifle. I really like it as it is.
https://i.postimg.cc/Y9QdxGMW/20220412-135357-01.jpg
View Quote

@zardoz

Why is the GA handle a must have?  I’m debating getting it, but I dont know how it’ll improve anything.  Educate me.

Edit.  I picked up a second one yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

@zardoz

Why is the GA handle a must have?  I’m debating getting it, but I dont know how it’ll improve anything.  Educate me.

View Quote

For me it's a must-have because when I had a scope on mine (Viper PST gen 2), I kept bashing my thumb into the eyepiece when cycling the action. This was made worse with a throwlever. Other's mileage may vary, of course.

And overall, it's just a little easier to grab.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#49]

@zardoz

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zardoz:

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9QdxGMW/20220412-135357-01.jpg

@zardoz

Handles are longer and the knobs are bigger (or much bigger).

Longer handles keep your fingers from being pinched by a scope.  The Ruger American has a 60 deg bolt throw, which helps, but moving the point of contact for the bolt hand farther away from the scope is a good thing.

It also gives you more leverage on the handle.  Personally, I like extended bolt handles with larger, smooth knobs for rifles where I may actually want to run the action fast for a follow up shot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Welp, now I need a new bolt handle for my 300blk Ranch.

Page / 47
Ruger American Ranch (Page 7 of 47)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top