BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another big question is, how many dealers are going to be selling these for MSRP, how many are taking on ADM, and will there be anything pretending to be a discount?
View Quote

The only one we've seen in our city was at a different Toyota dealership, and it sold within hours for 15k+ MSRP. These are going to be hot for a few months at least.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's the same thing every man married to a hambeast says.

The tail lights look like the red ass on a baboon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Baboon_Redass_jpg-2197010.JPG

View Quote

I drive a Raptor now, which is (subjectively) one of the best looking trucks on the road...and thought that Tundra looked much better in real life. I'd venture to say it looks good enough to make me want to trade.  

Quoted:

My F150 XLT sticker was $58,000

$70k plus for that is in line with prices.
View Quote

My last XLT (years ago) stickered for 54k....I paid 35k.

I assume this will be 100% MSRP. That said, some of the online reports are saying 58-64k for the TRD pro. I just got an offer of 66k on my truck at Ford so hoping it will be around 60-64k by the time these are out.

Quoted:

The only one we've seen in our city was at a different Toyota dealership, and it sold within hours for 15k+ MSRP. These are going to be hot for a few months at least.
View Quote

My dealer today claimed thay they've sold three at MSRP. They also want to sell me a truck, though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i cant look past the big mouth bass grill.

they seriously fucked up a decent looking truck with that bullshit.
View Quote

Agreed. The grill is hideous. The rest doesn't look all that bad. Sort of looks smaller than the previous gen Tundra though?

Still happy with my decision to buy a '21 while I could.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad my 2010 Tundra runs well with 125 k on it. Wont be buying one at 60K plus for a new one. Frigging prices these days
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Agreed. The grill is hideous. The rest doesn't look all that bad. Sort of looks smaller than the previous gen Tundra though?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is just not growing on me.

No more V8, lower ride height (or should I say taller sheetmetal), the derpy spats on either side of the rear wheelwell and last (and worst) the entire front end treatment.
To be fair, 90+% of new vehicle design is government compliance. It seems like as every fullsize platform is redesigned, they get the gigantic front wall instead of a grille.
Only Ram still sort of looks like a truck instead of a giant plastic brick (and I am not a Ram truck person).

Seriously considering biting the bullet and finding a 19-21 TRDOR 4x4 (white, shorter of the two cabs, 6' bed) and just keeping it forever.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another big question is, how many dealers are going to be selling these for MSRP, how many are taking on ADM, and will there be anything pretending to be a discount?

lol

I could maybe see that for the first TRD Pro to hit a major city or something. But for a regular ass SR5 or even a Limited? I don't see anyone paying that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I assume this will be 100% MSRP. That said, some of the online reports are saying 58-64k for the TRD pro. I just got an offer of 66k on my truck at Ford so hoping it will be around 60-64k by the time these are out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My F150 XLT sticker was $58,000

$70k plus for that is in line with prices.

That's another thing I've been wrestling with...

For pretty much forever, it was normal for Big 3 half tons to be sold at a 15-20% or more discount off MSRP. And now... it's not.

Will that part of "normal" ever come back? And if it does, how screwed are the people that are buying Big 3 trucks now?

Huge discounts by default were never really common with Toyota. In this sense, is a Tundra an economically "safer" purchase?

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Do the current turbo engines still have the reputation of being problematic at the 100K mark?

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and tend to avoid turbo related engines.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do the current turbo engines still have the reputation of being problematic at the 100K mark?

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and tend to avoid turbo related engines.
View Quote

Current crop of Toyota TC engines entered 2015 with the 8AR-FTS, which was the first since 3S-GTE (which went out of NA market with the MR2 Turbo)

It doesn't seem particularly troublesome, and Toyota's new crop of TC engines were in dev an inordinately long time. That said it's only 5 years old - the V35A is only in prod since '18 (tho someone said a decade but I can't place it) - and the Tundra/LC version has significant changes.

We have a couple Lex techs that can chime in. They're boots on the ground

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did they upgrade the interior? Toyota has the worst interior
View Quote

Agree. My wife's 2019 camry looks like something your grandma would drive from 1998.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
my dealer told me they are all sold in advance, and they are just getting what is allocated to them.

I told them what I was sort of looking for, at least wanting a crew max with TRD off road, and she sent me a spec sheet of a crew max with TRD sport which i wasn't really interested in.

said toyota is not allowing any orders, so its just you get what shows up.

sticker was 58k on the TRD sport and thats a little high for me too
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agree. My wife's 2019 camry looks like something your grandma would drive from 1998.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did they upgrade the interior? Toyota has the worst interior

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m not sure what’s wrong with this interior

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301399/83A9D022-F6EC-440A-B359-20AC0697720A_jpe-2197490.JPG

I just got a 22 4runner trd pro and the infotainment screen looks like it runs on windows 95
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw a few 2022 Tundras in Houston and they look much better in real life than online.
View Quote

I hope so. I'm an admitted Toyota fan but all the pics I've seen look hideous.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just got a 22 4runner trd pro and the infotainment screen looks like it runs on windows 95
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301399/83A9D022-F6EC-440A-B359-20AC0697720A_jpe-2197490.JPG

WHICH WAS A DAMN FINE PLATFORM !!!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
my dealer told me they are all sold in advance, and they are just getting what is allocated to them.

I told them what I was sort of looking for, at least wanting a crew max with TRD off road, and she sent me a spec sheet of a crew max with TRD sport which i wasn't really interested in.

said toyota is not allowing any orders, so its just you get what shows up.

sticker was 58k on the TRD sport and thats a little high for me too
View Quote

"Toyota: Take it, or leave it!"
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto this.
I grabbed a '20 when I heard Toyota was killing off the V8.
I traded a 2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad that had the miserable 3.5 V6 in it. I fucking hated driving that thing and will never buy another V6 powered truck again.
I love the shit out of my Tundra and will be keeping this thing long term.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Expect to get laughed out of the showroom of you try to use Costco in today's market. Paying only MSRP is a victory these days.
View Quote

Well that's a complete lie. My daughter in law and her husband just bought a new Chevy a week ago and the dealer specifically asked them if they had a Costco membership so he could get them that discount.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I saw the online pictures and hated it.

Saw one in person and concur. It does look better.

Might get one when the supply increases and dealers aren't retarded.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

does any manufacturer have a decent infotainment system? does it matter if you just use carplay or android auto anyway?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Toyota has some serious engineering on that engine. Maybe Ford can take some notes
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, my Tacoma is basic as well. My wife drives fancier shit and it's always depressing to get back in my truck after taking her ride somewhere, lol. On one hand, I hate having HVAC and other essential processes controlled by a delicate touch screen, on the other, it's slick and convenient.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's actually a 3.4 liter, but it is an all new design from the team in Alabama.

"Launching the new twin-turbo V6 line and celebrating our 20th anniversary remind us here just how lucky we are to have such incredible team members who have made Toyota Alabama known as 'the engine capital of the world,'"

-Jason Puckett, president of Toyota Alabama.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same engine designation as the Lexus, and Toyota confirmed it took the engine from Lexus, so...

Unless my info is 180 wrong, which is possible

It's actually a 3.4 liter, but it is an all new design from the team in Alabama.

"Launching the new twin-turbo V6 line and celebrating our 20th anniversary remind us here just how lucky we are to have such incredible team members who have made Toyota Alabama known as 'the engine capital of the world,'"

Nothing in that presser says the engine isn't the V35A-FTS, a twin turbo 3.4L v6 used by Lexus in two vehicles, and Toyota in a third not available in the states. The line is new to Toyota in the US market, or new to US production.

Toyota hates reinventing the wheel. Would they redesign an almost identical engine, or use what they have, that they already know works?

But whatever, it's not a big deal either way.

As to whomever asked about pricing on the dealer option sheet, there is nothing about prices, only what will be included in packages, what packages are available at what trims, etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Rumor is dealers are now able to place orders.
Of course this really means when they build something that is close to your dream list they might let your dealer
have it as part of his "allotment".
If you got a high volume dealer whose takes care of his customer base...you should be able to get close to what you want to exactly what you want...but I would not expect much until summer next year as inventory builds against an extraordinary demand.
Do not pay more than MSRP but expect to pay MSRP at least in the near term.

Check out Tundras Dot Com Forum lots of knowledgeable folks there...like here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought the same thing.
I have a 2010 Tundra and will not trade it in for that monstrosity.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

does any manufacturer have a decent infotainment system? does it matter if you just use carplay or android auto anyway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 22 F350 has an impressive infotainment screen - 12"
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe it or not, but the leaders in that area in recent years seem to be FCA/Stellantis (Chrysler) and Hyundai Motor Group (includes Kia).

You have to consider both the hardware and software side.

Is the hardware fast and responsive, or does it lag? Does the screen have good resolution? Are the black levels good?

On the software side, is the OS stable, or is it buggy? Are the menus in the UI logical, or do you have to go 17 clicks deep to change something that you touch regularly? Is the 3rd party support (Apple and Android) good?

It's also worth remembering that these infotainment systems are often used to control vehicle systems now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nothing in that presser says the engine isn't the V35A-FTS, a twin turbo 3.4L v6 used by Lexus in two vehicles, and Toyota in a third not available in the states. The line is new to Toyota in the US market, or new to US production.

Toyota hates reinventing the wheel. Would they redesign an almost identical engine, or use what they have, that they already know works?

As to whomever asked about pricing on the dealer option sheet, there is nothing about prices, only what will be included in packages, what packages are available at what trims, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same engine designation as the Lexus, and Toyota confirmed it took the engine from Lexus, so...

Unless my info is 180 wrong, which is possible

Between the LC300 and the Tundra specifics been pretty well has hashed out - right here in this thread even

In n2oiroc vid previous Craig Herring runs down the differences. He's a Hybrids/EDT Team Manager now so tho I understand his involvement was surprised to see him.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Toyota has some serious engineering on that engine. Maybe Ford can take some notes
View Quote

It’s not nice to make fun of the retarded kid in class by passing notes
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Believe it or not, but the leaders in that area in recent years seem to be FCA/Stellantis (Chrysler) and Hyundai Motor Group (includes Kia).

Is the hardware fast and responsive, or does it lag? Does the screen have good resolution? Are the black levels good?

On the software side, is the OS stable, or is it buggy? Are the menus in the UI logical, or do you have to go 17 clicks deep to change something that you touch regularly? Is the 3rd party support (Apple and Android) good?

It's also worth remembering that these infotainment systems are often used to control vehicle systems now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just want knobs - is that to much to ask?

As usual think you're dead on

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The 3.5TT is from Lexus. It's been solid for Lexus for almost a decade.

I have a PDF of the owner's manual if you want, as well as a PDF of the dealer options list.

I'm on my dealer's short list, they and I believe they will have what I'm looking for by March.
View Quote

Almost a decade? I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. It’s been in use since 2018 when the LS500 got it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

i-Force Max is pretty killer. Lot of effort on that PCU
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No it’s not lol, it’s a brand new motor for Toyota
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No it’s not lol, it’s a brand new motor for Toyota

Quoted:

It's an all new motor.  

Yes it is lol. Modified V35A-FTS engine that is in the following vehicles:

2017–present Lexus LS 500
2021–present Land Cruiser
2021–present Tundra
2021–present Lexus LX 600
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes it is lol. V35A-FTS engine that is in the following vehicles:

2017present Lexus LS 500
2021present Land Cruiser
2021present Tundra
2021present Lexus LX 600
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's not lol, it's a brand new motor for Toyota

Quoted:

It's an all new motor.

As for the OP?  I will be delivering these tomorrow:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20211208_222811193-01_jpeg-2196831.JPG

(That white 1794 edition? $68k.  oof.gif)

From where I'm sitting in my truck I see about a dozen trucks with between 1-3 Tundras each.  There are hundreds of new Tundras within a half mile of me. I've seen a handful of trucks loaded out of TMMT in the last half hour.

I was at TMMT yesterday and they are producing a ton of them.  I'm also going to be at TMMT Friday morning for another load and I'll see what I can find out about the TRD PRO.

They're coming.  

Yes it is lol. V35A-FTS engine that is in the following vehicles:

2017present Lexus LS 500
2021present Land Cruiser
2021present Tundra
2021present Lexus LX 600

Huh - what if the reality is everyone is kinda right
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I think "Smoked Mesquite" is the most interesting color option:

It's not necessarily the "best," but it's the most interesting. I kinda like it, but I'm not sure if I'd actually buy it.

I love a good green, and Army Green isn't bad, but I'm afraid it would be the automotive equivalent of 5.11 pants and a Magpul t-shirt.

"Blueprint" is a great color, and it's probably the one I'd choose if I had to order without seeing it in person.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep...rock solid
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

2021–present Tundra
View Quote

I'm not a huge Toyota fan, but if they put this same engine in a Tacoma..... And a transmission that can handle it.... I may be looking for a truck. The aftermarket tuning community has done some great work on that engine platform.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what's wrong with this interior

Guess he never saw the 2020s.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not a huge Toyota fan, but if they put this same engine in a Tacoma..... And a transmission that can handle it.... I may be looking for a truck. The aftermarket tuning community has done some great work on that engine platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2021–present Tundra

Have you ever rode in a Tacoma?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's an all new motor.

View Quote

It's not a  V35A-FTS?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#43]
In the last 10 years I've bought 6 different Toyota products with my last being a 2018 Tundra Limited. 50k starting price is too much for something that looks like an unholy mix between a Lexus sedan and a chevy 1500. I just picked up an F250 platinum and will be playing the wait & see approach to this latest iteration of Tundras.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2021–present Tundra

Toyota isn't putting a 389 hp 479 lb-ft twin turbo V6 in the Tacoma.

The next Tacoma is most likely going to be a hybrid, an I4 turbo, or both.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

No 500/750 while getting 23mpg with roll up windows and vinyl seats? Not buying that overpriced piece of junk
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I am on the list for a TRRD Pro 2022.  I have a 2019 TRD off Road.  I may just wait a year or so and see how the new trucks do.  If they fail, then I will keep my reliable 2019.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#47]
There's 3 at classic of Texoma. Silver TRD. 2 limited one black one brown. Both 2wd
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It needs it... Things are lethargic turds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post pics please.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Have you ever rode in a Tacoma?
View Quote

Yes, I am aware of what they are. It's the reason I don't own one right now.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top