Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pacific energy alderlea. Crazy efficiency and the ability to cook on the top. Zombie apocalypse certified
View Quote

Where is a good place to buy one?  Every site that has them looks like it's from 1998
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Vt castings defiant master race checking in. Actually it's been replaced by God tier pellet stove.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been doing some research, Blaze King is my leading candidate so far.
View Quote

if you haven't yet, check out Regency out of Canada.   Life time warranty on their steel parts, and they stand behind it.    FWIW I sold wood stoves from Jotul to Lopi, VC Heart stone Regency and Quadrafire for 15 years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My Jotul F55 Carrabassett. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

if you haven't yet, check out Regency out of Canada.   Life time warranty on their steel parts, and they stand behind it.    FWIW I sold wood stoves from Jotul to Lopi, VC Heart stone Regency and Quadrafire for 15 years.
View Quote

@JimmyAR Thanks. The F2500 looks like another good option, I may IM you some time to pick your brain.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm assuming he's talking about uneven heat throughout the house, the mess that hauling in wood makes and the fact you have to always be there feeding it to keep your house warm.
View Quote

It is not the fairy tale version where you make a fire and the lovely bikini clad Swedish swim team member (female) swoons over you and ravages you mercilessly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Find an old Fisher or Jotul.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Burn wood with less than 20% moisture and it wont.   By that I mean resplit a piece you've had seasoning and check from the newly exposed surface.

I argue with my FIL all the time.  He burns red oak he cut last year.  Red oak needs a minimum of 3 years cut/split/stacked in my area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay away from catalytic wood stoves.

My Blaze king sucks.

Burn wood with less than 20% moisture and it wont.   By that I mean resplit a piece you've had seasoning and check from the newly exposed surface.

I argue with my FIL all the time.  He burns red oak he cut last year.  Red oak needs a minimum of 3 years cut/split/stacked in my area.

Very true.  A catalytic stove is crazy efficient and even a little one will run you outta the house *IF* you only feed it properly seasoned DRY wood.

If you're burning trash wood you cut up from a brush pile, it will indeed suck donkey balls.  Nothing wrong with doing that, you just can't use a catalytic stove to do it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where is a good place to buy one?  Every site that has them looks like it's from 1998
View Quote

Yeah, they are mostly sold at small mom & pop shops (at least in Michigan). I ordered mine and had it delivered to a shop that was a distributor but didn’t carry stock. This was 5 years ago, so I’m not sure if anything has changed with distribution. Pacific energy is a smaller company (compared to most  of them), but their quality is definitely at the top of the list, up there with all of the best ones.

I just fired mine up about an hour ago -

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Pacific energy master race checking in.     Great stoves.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stay away from catalytic wood stoves.

My Blaze king sucks.
View Quote

Just switched our wood burning fireplace to a Buck Stove 91 catalytic. I love it. It burns a fraction of the wood of the original fireplace. No smoke outside.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree about the moisture content. But red oak or any wood species doesn’t always need X amount of years to dry/season. Depends on if it’s already dead or it’s green.

I cut mostly dead falls. I’ll split it and burn it that same year.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
What I love about wood stoves is the wonderful smell. Do some woods smell better than others when they are burned?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What I love about wood stoves is the wonderful smell. Do some woods smell better than others when they are burned?
View Quote

Of course they smell different. "Better" is opinion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sitting in front of my Regency propane stove as I type…love it! Just sit down and pick up the remote…bingo l! Instant fire and great heat in about 15 min. I can control the flame the fan and the interior light…it also has lots of other programming l too. I keep it simple.
Before this we heated with a Woodstock Soapstone wood stove which was pretty but, well you know how many times you “warm up” when burning wood….
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Drolet freestanding stove, will heat you out of the house
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agree about the moisture content. But red oak or any wood species doesn’t always need X amount of years to dry/season. Depends on if it’s already dead or it’s green.

View Quote

Do you check it with a meter?  

Also anyone who smells smoke in the house with a wooden burning stove should get a different one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is a Tula. Different than most because you can't lay the wood flat but works great. It is my main source of heating.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Sears brand stove. It does great
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Also anyone who smells smoke in the house with a wooden burning stove should get a different one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or check door gaskets. Amazing how many people complain about a wood stove smelling like smoke / fire and it’s because their door gaskets are shot and leaking.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@JimmyAR Thanks. The F2500 looks like another good option, I may IM you some time to pick your brain.
View Quote

No worries feel free if you have questions!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been heating with a hutch rebel and it puts out great heat but is a wood hungry bitch.

Been seriously considering replacing it with a pellet stove. Most run about 40lbs a day at full burn but with our needs I am betting 2 to 3 days a bag.

Anybody done similar?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133165/20201224_222857_jpg-2183405.JPG

Drolet freestanding stove, will heat you out of the house
View Quote

Worst spot for your taxidermy is near the wood stove.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mine is a Tula. Different than most because you can't lay the wood flat but works great. It is my main source of heating.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473640/Resized_20211016_190259_jpeg-2183424.JPG
View Quote
That's interesting. I've never seen that before.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It burns wood like no tomorrow and I cannot get a long burn out of it.
Even with seasoned spruce and big pieces.
Even brand new it would not.
Chimney is correct height.

We burn cottonwood,spruce and birch.
All seasoned and kept in a woodshed.
View Quote

This is the problem.   Need hardwoods like oak , maple or ash.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine came with the house.  I think it was installed back in the 80's.  No idea what the brand is, but it's pre-ban and in California.  Have no idea if I needed to register it by a certain time.  Perhaps the jack-booted thugs of the CA-DOJ will knock on my door.

The ceramic glass was cracked.  I found a small shop back east and sent them the dimensions I needed, and they shipped out a new one with the gasket for it.  Great price.

I need to replace the door gasket.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Regency i2500 (catalytic model) wood burning insert.  Love it so far.  Keeps the house over 70F on all 3 floors with the furnace fan running 24/7 to circulate the warm air throughout the home.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Love my Soapstone Heritage so much I bought a second one!

Never wanna do without!
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Jotul F600 checking in. Will heat my 3000 sq ft house to 80
On the coldest of nights. The largest cast iron stove money could buy at the time. Looks like it’s discontinued sadly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#32]
The misery of a wood stove is that you wake up freezing, stoke the fire, it gets to be 70° or 80° in the main part of the house, and 100° upstairs. Then you leave for the day and when you come home the house is freezing again, so you stoke the fire again, and it gets too hot again, and then you carry wood, and then you go to bed and repeat, for YEARS.

Never used a wood stove in a place with any other form of heat to back it up or move the heat around. My mom does that, it's better but not great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Standing dead and dead fall are different.  I'm talking a standing red oak that is green.  Minimum 3 years in my AREA, for an internal moisture content below 20%.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a picture right before I finished installing mine around last July.  It's a beast, it warms my 3800sf house about 7-8F with just 12lbs of wood.  It has a fan that blows air through a space all around the body as well as through tubes that go through the flue.  It extracts heat really well.

The house is still under construction, I started building it from scratch ten years ago, and I only moved in early this year.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Edit.
That’s a cool pic my little bro sent me. This is my actual stove.

Jotul
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is in Alaska that softwood is all is all he can get.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The misery of a wood stove is that you wake up freezing, stoke the fire, it gets to be 70 or 80 in the main part of the house, and 100 upstairs. Then you leave for the day and when you come home the house is freezing again, so you stoke the fire again, and it gets too hot again, and then you carry wood, and then you go to bed and repeat, for YEARS.

Never used a wood stove in a place with any other form of heat to back it up or move the heat around. My mom does that, it's better but not great.
View Quote

Thats an air circulation problem not a wood stove problem
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is a picture right before I finished installing mine around last July.  It's a beast, it warms my 3800sf house about 7-8F with just 12lbs of wood.  It has a fan that blows air through a space all around the body as well as through tubes that go through the flue.  It extracts heat really well.

The house is still under construction, I started building it from scratch ten years ago, and I only moved in early this year.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/225682655_4154999411283560_2297493692573776102_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=IpiZfcFU-2QAX_3ZgOl&_nc_oc=AQmNnxUWfziur5qLy46lXY71zikAn6y5uIkL_duT0nSpiwzJoRoL3TeJB_ZsjZQgzqmem5EZ6mSypdFW5nIA1gzU&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=9d06112cbbf4c05a38a98d900901b51b&oe=61A8B99E
View Quote

Hell yeah. That looks awesome. Might want to connect that pipe before you fire her up.
J/k.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Not today EPA man!
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been doing some research, Blaze King is my leading candidate so far.

I like my regency insert, and they definitely stand behind it. Mine got a little roughed up in shipping and they quickly shipped out to replacement parts no questions asked.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thats an air circulation problem not a wood stove problem
View Quote

If you've got ducts why bother burning wood?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Fine choice. I run a Hearthstone Castleton in my home. It’s fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#43]
First winter in my new to me house a few years ago. I threw a cheap china secondary air burner stove in to supplement heat because the furnace was original to the 1978 house and I was trying to take strain off of it. Did surprisingly well for how small the stove was.

Old built a new house and ended up getting a new insert so he gave me his old one. Its an old earthstove that I ran growing up so its got some sentimental attachment to me.

China stove

The day I brought the earthstove home. Still need to build an enclosure around it but the rest of the house needs work first

Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Birch is a soft hardwood.
Burns nice and hot.

About all that grows big up here is what I listed.

Others that have the same size of woodstove and pipe without the catalytic burn way less.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#45]
You wood burning master race bros that haven’t had your chimney swept yet, or swept it yourself because it can wait another year or some such…whatever, get it done.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You wood burning master race bros that haven't had your chimney swept yet, or swept it yourself because it can wait another year or some suchwhatever, get it done.
View Quote
I brush ours at least three times a year.
I live dangerously as we have a metal roof.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
First winter in my new to me house a few years ago. I threw a cheap china secondary air burner stove in to supplement heat because the furnace was original to the 1978 house and I was trying to take strain off of it. Did surprisingly well for how small the stove was.

Old built a new house and ended up getting a new insert so he gave me his old one. Its an old earthstove that I ran growing up so its got some sentimental attachment to me.

China stove
https://i.ibb.co/2jKtm3x/Screenshot-20211127-222740.png

The day I brought the earthstove home. Still need to build an enclosure around it but the rest of the house needs work first

https://i.ibb.co/6ytn8xd/20200207-153541-3.jpg
View Quote
You'll likely find that cheap chinese stove will run circles around that classic beast.

The old stuff is much more solidly built, but secondary burn and smaller efficient fire boxes are where it is at.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You'll likely find that cheap chinese stove will run circles around that classic beast.

The old stuff is much more solidly built, but secondary burn and smaller efficient fire boxes are where it is at.
View Quote

Ya it definitely put out more heat but I didn't trust it since it was chinese and the firebox was to small to walk away from it for more then 3-4 hours. The old girl I can load up and walk away from for almost 8 hours and still have a fire.

Eta: I didn't like the fact the china stove couldn't be choked down and keep a low flame without dying no matter how much fussing around with it I did

Eta again: the earthstove does have a cat so its somewhat more efficient then it appears
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Ya it definitely put out more heat but I didn't trust it since it was chinese and the firebox was to small to walk away from it for more then 3-4 hours. The old girl I can load up and walk away from for almost 8 hours and still have a fire.

Eta: I didn't like the fact the china stove couldn't be choked down and keep a low flame without dying no matter how much fussing around with it I did

Eta again: the earthstove does have a cat so its somewhat more efficient then it appears
View Quote
Unfortunately that is working as intended.

All the newer stoves are going to be EPA rated, and part of that is they lack the ability to choke them down well. That is done because an oxygen starved fire is a dirty fire that produces lots of incomplete combustion byproducts, most of which aren't that great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Unfortunately that is working as intended.

All the newer stoves are going to be EPA rated, and part of that is they lack the ability to choke them down well. That is done because an oxygen starved fire is a dirty fire that produces lots of incomplete combustion byproducts, most of which aren't that great.
View Quote

Oh I knew it was working correctly just didn't like how it burned so fast. I couldn't keep it going while at work.

I guess im old school
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top