Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5584 of 5588)
Page / 5588
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By juan223:

Of course they'd be singled out,  in a sea of former Warsaw Pact shit they're an HVT that will give a drone operator bragging rights.  If the UKE's keep em out front they'll eventually be down to zero,  it's just math.
View Quote

Exactly that. They are a high value target and they are easy to spot from surveillance drones because they look different from the other tanks. They are being knocked out. I'm not sure I would want to be within enemy range with a big bullseye painted on my tank. The war of the drone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

My guess is recon drones that are spotting for artillery that wipes out the infantry and the IFVs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By Toybasher:
What's the reason you think they're not using tanks in combined arms? AFAIK a tank by itself is an easy target for infantry with handheld AT weapons, and suffers from lack of awareness without supporting infantry to help spot targets, etc.

Both Russia and Ukraine seem to be using tanks like this, I don't understand why. Lack of troops to send with the tank? Higher ups in the military making poor decisions? Modern battlefields somehow being better suited for tanks going it alone? I just don't get it.

My guess is recon drones that are spotting for artillery that wipes out the infantry and the IFVs.

One of the few things both sides in this war do to a reasonable standard of competence is drone-directed fires. Getting spotted by a drone, therefore, is a massive danger. During the Ukrainian counter offensive in the south, the Ukrainians fairly quickly started holding a lot of their armor in reserve, and mostly relying on dismounted infantry assaults, often at the sub-platoon level. I imagine part of that was decreasing the likelihood of getting spotted by drones.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

You can see in the video that the vehicle got pushed back quite a bit. Since the camera is on a gimbal, that would attenuate in the video what had to be a wild ride for the drone thru all that wake turbulence. I didn't see the arms of the drone in the frame (that you might see during a wild ride) so it could be a faked video but it might not be.
View Quote

True. A good drone can keep a steady picture in some pretty rocky winds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Sreiff's latest update on RedState:
Putin's War Week 113
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Haub] [#5]

8 Bears, 5 Backfires?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread is like a well oiled machine. Thanks for picking it back up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
This thread is like a well oiled machine. Thanks for picking it back up.
View Quote

Aint over till the orcs cease to exist on Ukraine's land
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Haub:

Aint over till the orcs cease to exist on Ukraine's land
View Quote

I'm with you brother.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#10]
I know where to send them.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#11]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Nice.  I'm glad to see that some of the good stuff is finally starting to trickle in.

According to this insidedefense.com article , that version (PrSM Increment 1) is "capable of neutralizing targets at standoffs greater than 400 kilometers."

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMHCUjPbEAAHfuG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMHCUjRaIAAEr8n?format=png&name=4096x4096
View Quote

I know this admin won't do it because it makes sense, but I'd love to see every one of these aircraft, except the F22's go to UA.

The 11 F16's would bring the number UA would have to over 100. Lets say they scrap some for parts keep some back for training, some down for maintenance, that's still 50 or so kicking ass and taking names.

26 F15E Strike Eagles. Same thing, strip some for parts, some are kept for training, some down for maintenance. You still have 13 F15E's.

Same for the rest, 65 F15C/D parts, training maintenance, left with 32.

32 F15C/D + 13 F15E's = 45 F15's. The best Gen 4 aircraft ever made. That alone would make the UA air force one of the best in world but with the F16's Fuck yeah!

56 A10's lets say you wind up with half again, 28 A10's rampaging up and down RU lines raining death and destruction after the F16's and F15's do the SEAD

Shit, fuhgetaboutit!

Not to mention all those pavehawks running life flights for UA wounded.

Nice to think about, but no way this admin would do something like this. FJB.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Explosions were heard in the suburbs of Slavyansk-on-Kuban, Krasnodar Territory. A bright glow is visible in the sky. Before this, witnesses heard the sound of a motor in the sky.

Local residents said that about an hour ago explosions were heard, and a bright glow from the flames was visible near the city.

Yes, another oil refinery💥🔥

And the Russians again: “they tried to attack,” but “we are putting out the fire.”
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice vid of the boom
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]

The enemy used:

— Kh-101/555 cruise missiles launched by at least 5 Tu-95 aircraft from the regions of the Saratov region of the Russian Federation and the Caspian Sea;
— Kalibr cruise missiles, probably launched from submarines in the Black Sea;
— guided air cruise missiles Kh-59/69/35 from the sides of the Su-34/Su-35;
— hypersonic aeroballistic missiles of the Kh-47M2 "Kinzhal" complex from the Ryazan/Tula regions.

The Kh-101/555 missiles covered the longest distance of ~2111 km before reaching Stryi, Lviv region.

Under attack were Dnipro, Pavlograd, Kryvyi Rih, Stryi, some n.p. Dnipropetrovsk and Ivano-Frankivsk regions.

The rocket attack lasted 2 hours.

Some of the missiles were destroyed by air defense forces.
Details from local administrations.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I know this admin won't do it because it makes sense, but I'd love to see every one of these aircraft, except the F22's go to UA.

The 11 F16's would bring the number UA would have to over 100. Lets say they scrap some for parts keep some back for training, some down for maintenance, that's still 50 or so kicking ass and taking names.

26 F15E Strike Eagles. Same thing, strip some for parts, some are kept for training, some down for maintenance. You still have 13 F15E's.

32 F15C/D + 13 F15E's = 45 F15's. The best Gen 4 aircraft ever made. That alone would make the UA air force one of the best in world but with the F16's Fuck yeah!

56 A10's lets say you wind up with half again, 28 A10's rampaging up and down RU lines raining death and destruction after the F16's and F15's do the SEAD

Shit, fuhgetaboutit!

View All Quotes

Shit, fuhgetaboutit!

The F-15Es being retired are some I worked on 24 years ago. They required LOTS of maintenance then, now they are a much bigger pain in the ass to keep in the air! The Ukrainians would need lots of "advisors" to keep them in the air.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

The F-15Es being retired are some I worked on 24 years ago. They required LOTS of maintenance then, now they are a much bigger pain in the ass to keep in the air! The Ukrainians would need lots of "advisors" to keep them in the air.
View All Quotes

Shit, fuhgetaboutit!

It is worrisome that F-22s are being retired, and F-15EXs are being built to replace F-15Cs. And now F-15Es are being retired.

I assume in time the F-15EX will replace the F-15E once the next generation F-22 replacement is in production but that will take many years. We're loosing lots of planes without building nearly enough to replace them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

It is worrisome that F-22s are being retired, and F-15EXs are being built to replace F-15Cs. And now F-15Es are being retired.

I assume in time the F-15EX will replace the F-15E once the next generation F-22 replacement is in production but that will take many years. We're loosing lots of planes without building nearly enough to replace them.
View All Quotes

Shit, fuhgetaboutit!

Lack of planning and foresight of threats decades ago has the USAF and its Airmen in a no win situation with regard to replacement aircraft and sustainability. The grand plan now relies on autonomous drones.. that don't exist yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#25]
What's the reason you think they're not using tanks in combined arms? AFAIK a tank by itself is an easy target for infantry with handheld AT weapons, and suffers from lack of awareness without supporting infantry to help spot targets, etc.

Both Russia and Ukraine seem to be using tanks like this, I don't understand why. Lack of troops to send with the tank? Higher ups in the military making poor decisions? Modern battlefields somehow being better suited for tanks going it alone? I just don't get it.

EDIT: Could it be in case they run over a mine so only the tank and crew get obliterated and not infantry near it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Even if true, their removal is not something I'd announce or confirm publicly or as is popular these days "in anonymity" either. Once again, the lack of OPSEC on US/European/Ukrainian side is to me a disappointing head scratcher. The Russians will no doubt be hailing this news in as a win in their propaganda. And that propaganda continues to keep the Russian people in this fight.

eta:
Yup. I don't expect that too change much too.

EDIT: Could it be in case they run over a mine so only the tank and crew get obliterated and not infantry near it?

You listed a good number of reasons and I would thrown in lack of airpower plus it's hard to shake old habits. They want to fight the Soviet way but are not equipped too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Shit, fuhgetaboutit!

I know they're all worn out. Military procurement has been fucked for decades. But a worn out plane that last for one maybe two years in a desperate struggle to save your country, is better than no planes and getting glide bombed by your enemy with no way to stop it.

They don't need to dog fight, they need planes in the air that can launch anti-ship and cruise missiles and drop JDAMS. They have how many planes now, 8 or 10, or some stupid low number like that, I'm not sure what it is.

Ideally they'd be getting new off the line F15EX in two years when these finally fell completely apart, but that ain't happening either. FJB

Shit the only thing they have in abundance, is courage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:14:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#33]

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I think Rush is going to do its damndest to destroy as much infrastructure as they can due to Ukraine receiving the big Aid package.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#35]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMJltHvW8AA5NRf?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

I call June 1st for 500K casualty day. We'll see if the half-million mark gives Putin pause.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

From what I've read up to today:
19 from Denmark.
22 from Norway.
24 from the Netherlands.
32 from Greece, and possibly 24 Mirage 2000-5.
(unspecified number) from Belgium.

They'll be a mix of F16 A/B(MLU) and F16 C/D, depending who's sending what. The Greek Mirages are modernized, as well, if those are approved and sent.
View Quote

Greece F-16, I hope they don't send scrap.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/HcecVTw.jpeg
View Quote

I've been up and down on my expectations. I personally think F-16 is going to make American Fighters great again.
I hope it's not shitty minimal-Abrams redux.

We need to get some 90s/00s systems in theater, to see how crap or not-crap the russkis are, relative to slightly-less-obsolescent western tech. The HIMARS experiment was greatly fruitful, but we haven't seen the outcome of the later tranches.

Russians are corrupt idiots, full of graft and pride and venality - but that doesn't mean everything they do or produce is wrong or stupid or hapless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:05:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#38]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

I call June 1st for 500K casualty day. We'll see if the half-million mark gives Putin pause.
View Quote

I'll bet it just results in more Russian speeches about how the invasion of Ukraine is just like the Great patriotic war.

And also more economic coercion to get men to join the Russian army.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Haub] [#39]

Nice...

We've gone full circle and we're at the stage of using back seat gunners in single engine prop driven aircraft
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Haub:

Nice...

We've gone full circle and we're at the stage of using back seat gunners in single engine prop driven aircraft
View Quote

I'd be scared to be shot down by my own side thinking I'm a Shaheed drone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:23:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#44]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#45]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#46]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

https://i.imgur.com/HcecVTw.jpeg
View Quote

Cant Greece afford some paint, thing looks like it has Bondo all over!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:

Cant Greece afford some paint, thing looks like it has Bondo all over!!
View Quote

I thought of a rat rod at first glance. Maybe the money is all on the inside?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
You don't suppose it has anything to do with thousands of felons finishing up their contracts and being set loose? Surely they saw that coming and had a plan?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
You don't suppose it has anything to do with thousands of felons finishing up their contracts and being set loose? Surely they saw that coming and had a plan?

I'll bet you right from the start Russia just considered this the cost of doing business in order to get more bodies into their meat grinder.
Russia seriously doesn't give a f*** about the lives of their own people. Or more specifically the lives of the peasants. I actually find it kind of shocking.
Page / 5588
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5584 of 5588)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top