Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5526 of 5585)
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:

Yeah but holy crap I’d want a magnified optic to scan for targets.
After all the footage I’ve watched I think ACOG/piggyback RDS is the best optic solution.  But I also think that you need irons on the rifle because there are conditions that will make an optic useless.
My new build has ACOG/piggyback RMR/Dueck offset irons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Remarkable video, eery landscape with fantastic gunfire sound captured. (Some dead shown but 'just' guys on the ground)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em_pyrJwBtM

Takeaways:

-Fighting was up close (from handgun range to 50yd), irons totally viable

-Full Auto is the preferred mode of fire; AK74 shows excellent controllability due to 5.45 + Muzzle Brake + ~650rpm

-WML is used in trench clearing; light is just a cheap LED taped to the handguard

-Overwatch is provided by a recon quad overhead, and direction and distance of enemy is provided in real time to rifleman

-The dead are looted for grenades and documents

High Speed Low Drag in High Intensity Conflict:

https://i.ibb.co/Jkd5mGM/Screen-Shot-2024-03-27-at-12-37-08-AM.png

After all the footage I’ve watched I think ACOG/piggyback RDS is the best optic solution.  But I also think that you need irons on the rifle because there are conditions that will make an optic useless.

Certainly a ACOG/RMR or RDS+Irons+3x magnifier would be preferable.

But I think we are seeing that our focus/obsession with optics and the latest weapons accessories - so central to our view of modern rifle fighting from the GWOT - isn't really as relevant to this war, and perhaps other HIC in the future.

Hand grenades, and FA rifle fights at hand grenade range, seem to be much more important. Basically the antithesis of the current NGSW program...

I'd also say as a GWOT aside, we're lucky the AK74 never caught on in the middle east. Probably would have had a much higher hit probability in addition to nastier wounding.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
This could be an opportunity to secure another extra 30 F-16 Block 30's for Ukraine in the future.  They are already flyable, just need some updates and work for getting them ready like the European contribution of F-16's.  This could put the total contribution to about 90 F-16's then for Ukraine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ukrainian thermal FPV drone with airburst capability.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

I know it's not as effective as jamming but 12 gauge should definitely make a come back. Just one more thing semiauto 12 gauge is useful for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJmJw7fWQAAao-Z?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Yeah, that's how you lose wars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

I know it's not as effective as jamming but 12 gauge should definitely make a come back. Just one more thing semiauto 12 gauge is useful for.
View Quote

I just don't see it. Improvised FPV drones are already borderline to small / fast to handle with a shotgun, and as the designs improve that will only get worse.

Cover / netting is becoming critical for any static position imo. The only good defense against fast FPV drones is a barrier
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

View Quote

More friendly fire shoot downs hopefully
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

View Quote

Wow
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

How do people use these two-story setups when even the stock irons are too tall for a proper cheek weld for me without an adjustable cheekpiece ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
ISW special "Denying Russia's Only Strategy for Success."

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/denying-russia%E2%80%99s-only-strategy-success
View Quote

Interesting read.

Some things are things I've said almost for a couple of years. Some of it is just blatant lobbying for the Ukrainian position. It all seems fundamentally sound, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJqjIxHXsAAY6yG?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Ukraine has lost a boatload of P-18 radars lately.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#16]

But I think we are seeing that our focus/obsession with optics and the latest weapons accessories - so central to our view of modern rifle fighting from the GWOT - isn't really as relevant to this war, and perhaps other HIC in the future.

Hand grenades, and FA rifle fights at hand grenade range, seem to be much more important. Basically the antithesis of the current NGSW program...

I'd also say as a GWOT aside, we're lucky the AK74 never caught on in the middle east. Probably would have had a much higher hit probability in addition to nastier wounding.
View All Quotes
Remarkable video, eery landscape with fantastic gunfire sound captured. (Some dead shown but 'just' guys on the ground)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em_pyrJwBtM

Takeaways:

-Fighting was up close (from handgun range to 50yd), irons totally viable

-Full Auto is the preferred mode of fire; AK74 shows excellent controllability due to 5.45 + Muzzle Brake + ~650rpm

-WML is used in trench clearing; light is just a cheap LED taped to the handguard

-Overwatch is provided by a recon quad overhead, and direction and distance of enemy is provided in real time to rifleman

-The dead are looted for grenades and documents

High Speed Low Drag in High Intensity Conflict:

https://i.ibb.co/Jkd5mGM/Screen-Shot-2024-03-27-at-12-37-08-AM.png

Yeah but holy crap I'd want a magnified optic to scan for targets.
After all the footage I've watched I think ACOG/piggyback RDS is the best optic solution.  But I also think that you need irons on the rifle because there are conditions that will make an optic useless.

Being the first to fire seems to be a LOT more important at these ranges than what's used to aim that fire.

Situational awareness is also huge, how many dudes have we seen get smoked from the flank?  Hard to kill what you don't see.  

In my late teens and early 20s I read a lot of first hand accounts from Vietnam, some of the forest footage echoes those memoirs, all of a sudden some asshole who is really intent on killing you appears and it's a race to see who sends the most lead first.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#17]
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

View Quote

How to improve military effectiveness, Russia style.

Keep it up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

I'll be bold and say it will replace the pistol as a sidearm in some units. As a "last ditch" defense against certain drone types, it's certainly better than a rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#19]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJrZYU1bEAAmYpd?format=png&name=small

View Quote

State Department. Of course. State Department is very interested in NOT defeating Russia, that is their goal. This brief exchange completely supports that perspective. Mark Miller is a dumbass. "We do not support or encourage Ukraine taking strikes outside its own territory."

Mr. Miller, follow-up question - do you mean that your position is that Ukraine should not win the war?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#20]

View Quote

10ga with a drum loaded with #2 shot with over 200 pellets since rotor blades are delicate

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

How do people use these two-story setups when even the stock irons are too tall for a proper cheek weld for me without an adjustable cheekpiece ?
View All Quotes

i have 300BO rifle that I use for hog hunting with dogs. It has a 1-4 power scope and a burris red dot on top of that. The top part of the scope ring has pic rail. This works pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#22]

They could raise the needed forces by staging "unrest" in Belarus, withdrawing as much as possible from Ukraine to deal with the "unrest", leaving only a holding force, then attack directly into Lithuania from Belarus as quickly as possible.
Putin (and fellow travelers) isn't worried about the threat of invasion by NATO.  Putin is worried about his diminishing ability TO INVADE NATO.  The door is closing, soon.
Putin wants to apply as much pressure as possible to the West, everywhere, all the time.  Israel, Africa, possibly Serbia.  Cause chaos everywhere, get the West behind the decision curve, then act.
The Russian military is in Ukraine as a vehicle to destroy NATO and achieve hegemony over Europe by force.
Putin would actually love it if Europe divided Ukraine between themselves and Russia.  This has been his propaganda all along and accomplishes his ideological goal, which is to prove to the west that its ideals mean nothing, there is no "rules based order", there is only the politics of spheres of influence.  THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT PUTIN WANTS.  Demoralization.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strykr:

I believe the Russians will convince themselves the conventional balance of power will only get worse for them, and they can't wait any longer and will have to go with whatever they can scrape together as soon as they can, probably behind nuke threats or nuke use.  It doesn't have to be sane, it only has to look sane to evil, desperate men.
My opinion is and has been that a combination of incompetence, corruption, high-level losses, and most importantly, high stress on their system in multiple ways has probably rendered Russian leadership incapable of making sound strategic decisions.
NATO needs to consider anything and everything as possible.

Doubtful. Putin knows there is no real risk from NATO, that is why all the Russian military is in Ukraine, not on the NATO border or in Kaliningrad. It would take a huge mobilization effort just to move troops close enough to the Baltics for an assault. And where would he find the tanks for it?

He just acts tough because he wants NATO to stay away from Ukraine. Consider this, the way he invaded the East of Ukraine, NATO could decide to move in from the West, to establish a buffer zone. The same way Poland was split in WWII between the Nazis and the Soviets. NATO could even use the violation of their territory as a pretext. Macron was already floating this idea, saying he would send French troops to Ukraine. That is what he is worried about and wants to prevent from happening by threatening overwhelming escalation.

They could raise the needed forces by staging "unrest" in Belarus, withdrawing as much as possible from Ukraine to deal with the "unrest", leaving only a holding force, then attack directly into Lithuania from Belarus as quickly as possible.
Putin (and fellow travelers) isn't worried about the threat of invasion by NATO.  Putin is worried about his diminishing ability TO INVADE NATO.  The door is closing, soon.
Putin wants to apply as much pressure as possible to the West, everywhere, all the time.  Israel, Africa, possibly Serbia.  Cause chaos everywhere, get the West behind the decision curve, then act.
The Russian military is in Ukraine as a vehicle to destroy NATO and achieve hegemony over Europe by force.
Putin would actually love it if Europe divided Ukraine between themselves and Russia.  This has been his propaganda all along and accomplishes his ideological goal, which is to prove to the west that its ideals mean nothing, there is no "rules based order", there is only the politics of spheres of influence.  THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT PUTIN WANTS.  Demoralization.

Russia does not have enough troops in Ukraine to launch a second invasion. And they cannot simply travel through Ukraine to Belarus. They would have to withdraw in order to go around them, risking a collapse of the front. He needs to win in Ukraine first before he can open a second front.

Sending Russian troops to Belarus, with the intention of invading the Baltics would be the signal that the war is now spreading to multiple countries, and is no longer a localized conflict. Troop movements would be picked up with the satellites. NATO must have a play book already for this exact scenario.

The proper response for this would likely be NATO troops moving into Western Ukraine and/or a no fly zone. Poland would also have time to prepare for the war with Belarus. Russia cannot move through Belarus fast enough to surprise the Baltics, since NATO already anticipates this move. It would take weeks to move those old BMPs and T-64s from Ukraine, and Putin must know that those tanks are no match for NATO. He would be better off taking a chunk of Ukraine now, get a peace treaty, then try again in a few years, after he has rebuilt his military.

NATO moving into Western Ukraine would end the possibility of bringing Ukraine into Putin's sphere of influence. It would be a disaster as far as he is concerned. They could easily move up to the Dnipro without meeting any resistance. It would pretty much end Putin's hopes of gaining further ground within Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

State Department. Of course. State Department is very interested in NOT defeating Russia, that is their goal. This brief exchange completely supports that perspective. Mark Miller is a dumbass. "We do not support or encourage Ukraine taking strikes outside its own territory."

Mr. Miller, follow-up question - do you mean that your position is that Ukraine should not win the war?
View Quote
Or, "Do you have an estimate of how many Ukrainians will die due to this policy?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#24]
I sent a request to CZ Guns for some Bren 2 firing springs. Some of the guys asked for some stickers, which I passed on... and CZ delivered!

Cleaning mats, towels, notebooks, pens, carabineers, stickers, and the firing pin springs. Enough for the whole team. What a great gesture!
Attachment Attached File

We also designed a new patch which is currently in protection. These will be heading back to the US soon for a fundraiser. I'll keep you guys posted.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I agree with this.
I'm using an LPVO in 2 and 3 gun but I have doubts that even the best LPVO would survive a week of an industrial scale conflict like this. Falling, jumping from tanks and trucks, cramming into the back of a HMMV with 8 guys and gear, explosions, flooded trenches, frost and ice in the AM, sweltering heat in the PM, crawling through mud...I think only an ACOG could survive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#26]

View Quote

The rmr is used up close and personal. You don't need a solid cheek weld to hit man sized targets between 10 and 30 meters with a red dot. It's actually counterproductive.  You don't want to be down on your rifle during a cqb scenario. You want your head upright in a position where your peripheral vision is effective scanning for targets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

It would have worked in that case possibly but as soon as shotguns appear, drones will stop toying with folks and just zoom in at speed. Then shotguns will be useless.

Although I just had a crazy thought...seeing armies armed only with shotguns blasting away at each other and drones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Yeah no shit.

At least the US stance has been modified from "run or surrender" back in 2022 to now "only attack on YOUR OWN territory". Fucking losers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJqjIxHXsAAY6yG?format=jpg&name=large

I noticed this as well.  What is very strange to me is that the unit was geolocated literally near the front line, but it already is a very long range VHF radar.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

I just don't see it. Improvised FPV drones are already borderline to small / fast to handle with a shotgun, and as the designs improve that will only get worse.

Cover / netting is becoming critical for any static position imo. The only good defense against fast FPV drones is a barrier
View Quote

Yup. Netting everywhere and try not to venture out from the netting.  And maybe some small personal ballistic shields against frag because even netting wont stop the flying claymore drones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Easterner:
I sent a request to CZ Guns for some Bren 2 firing springs. Some of the guys asked for some stickers, which I passed on... and CZ delivered!

Cleaning mats, towels, notebooks, pens, carabineers, stickers, and the firing pin springs. Enough for the whole team. What a great gesture!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_20240327-180141_2_png-3170868.JPG

We also designed a new patch which is currently in protection. These will be heading back to the US soon for a fundraiser. I'll keep you guys posted.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_20240327-180441_2_png-3170869.JPG
View Quote

Awesome news on all counts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I've used them effectively in competition. You simply keep a more heads-up position instead of face against the stock. Especially good with NVG. You'd be surprised at how natural it is after a little practice. Some prefer the offset RDS but I haven't tried those.

The question is where to zero the RDS. I do at around 15-20 yards. Anyway you probably will NOT be using them for hostage-rescue shots...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Ukrainian thermal FPV drone with airburst capability.

View Quote

Arial Claymore.    Mini Himars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By strykr:

Russia does not have enough troops in Ukraine to launch a second invasion. And they cannot simply travel through Ukraine to Belarus. They would have to withdraw in order to go around them, risking a collapse of the front. He needs to win in Ukraine first before he can open a second front.

Sending Russian troops to Belarus, with the intention of invading the Baltics would be the signal that the war is now spreading to multiple countries, and is no longer a localized conflict. Troop movements would be picked up with the satellites. NATO must have a play book already for this exact scenario.

The proper response for this would likely be NATO troops moving into Western Ukraine and/or a no fly zone. Poland would also have time to prepare for the war with Belarus. Russia cannot move through Belarus fast enough to surprise the Baltics, since NATO already anticipates this move. It would take weeks to move those old BMPs and T-64s from Ukraine, and Putin must know that those tanks are no match for NATO. He would be better off taking a chunk of Ukraine now, get a peace treaty, then try again in a few years, after he has rebuilt his military.

NATO moving into Western Ukraine would end the possibility of bringing Ukraine into Putin's sphere of influence. It would be a disaster as far as he is concerned. They could easily move up to the Dnipro without meeting any resistance. It would pretty much end Putin's hopes of gaining further ground within Ukraine.
View Quote

Excellent assessment. Although it's possible that Russia could squirrel away some vehicles but it would take a freak miracle to move them into position. It reminds me of the Battle of the Bulge where Germany did just what we are talking about thanks to no sat-intel, complacency, and perfect weather for the Germans.

Russia has their hands full now in Ukraine. And that is my/our arguments for NATO support. Once the pressure if off Russia (from a victory in Ukraine or favorable cease-fire) then an attack like this become more of a danger.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By absael:
Or, "Do you have an estimate of how many Ukrainians will die due to this policy?"
View Quote

"What other wars have been fought SUCCESSFULLY under similar ROE?".
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_20240327-180141_2_png-3170868.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/Screenshot_20240327-180441_2_png-3170869.JPG
View Quote

That's awesome!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

It came in through the bathroom window
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Shit, that's bad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Holy shit!  Take that motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

It’s easy, you don’t lift your dominant eye to the RDS, you roll the rifle left a few degrees and the RDS lines up with you non-dominant eye.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

Yeah that was hot
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Bunch of fucking idiots. "It's ok if russia blows up your own country, but please don't blow up their shit, you might upset them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Polish civilians getting ready for conflict

Polish civilians train for conflict | DW Documentary
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Not good. Homeboy was recently the SAG-U deputy commander. For 8 months, starting in August 2022, he was the deputy commander of the Security Assistance Group-Ukraine (SAG-U), an international unit coordinating the military aid granted to Ukraine by 50 nations.

Reuters: Poland dismisses Eurocorps commander amid couterintelligence probe
Click To View Spoiler

Eurocorps bio for sacked Polish commander, Lieutenant General Jarosław R. GROMADZIŃSK

Defense 24: Polish General to Lead the Eurocorps. Transfer of the Ukrainian Lessons-Learned?
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Rather cryptic.

Serbia in the coming days.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJogK2HXsAA1zqf?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

Russia plays Serbia like a fiddle. I am sure whatever cryptic threat has been shared, it has very little to do with reality.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

View Quote

They didn't tell Ukraine to stop, just that the US doesn't support it.   Big difference.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#50]

in the direction of frontline through Kadiivka-Pervomaisk-Popasna line. In addition to that, Kamaz pontoon trucks (PP-2005) and fuel trucks were also spotted in large quantities.

Similar activity is being reported by residents of Russia-occupied part of Lugansk Oblast, near the border with the Russian Federation. The vehicles move in the direction of Luhansk & Debaltseve (around 40 Ural trucks and 20 fuel trucks counted only yesterday).  
View Quote

Page / 5585
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5526 of 5585)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top