Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2643 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Taboot:
Petreus says the M1 is too heavy and maintenance intensive for use in Ukraine, and you need special equipment to extricate them from the field if they fail or become stuck.  You would have to set up a whole manned facility in Poland for them, even just a few.  Lighter tanks, like the Leopard and surplus T-60s, 70s and 80s from NATO stocks are more appropriate.  This was from a recent DW interview with him on YouTube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I just saw CarmelBytheSea's poll in gd about the US sending tanks to Ukraine. So far 60-40 say no, even if they pay for them.

I'm not going to read the thread. Just thought you'd get a chuckle out of gd doing gd things.

Maybe they want those tanks to be "in-house," and not thousands of miles away, once our next civil war invariably kicks off.
Petreus says the M1 is too heavy and maintenance intensive for use in Ukraine, and you need special equipment to extricate them from the field if they fail or become stuck.  You would have to set up a whole manned facility in Poland for them, even just a few.  Lighter tanks, like the Leopard and surplus T-60s, 70s and 80s from NATO stocks are more appropriate.  This was from a recent DW interview with him on YouTube.

There isn't much left.

Battle Tank Dismantling, a company in Germany scrapped over 20k NATO AFV in the last 30 years because these idiot politicans in Europe believed the Russians would scrap their AFVs too.

No treaty with the Russians is worth the paper.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Honestly a pretty clever urban tee pee.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Biden is not capable of a decision.  His handlers will be in increasingly close watch to steer him away from any substantial decision, comment, or action.

It's time for Biden's resignation.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Suicide how? Is NATO going to respond with nukes? No. If NATO responds with conventional forces then russia will use more nukes. What is it that russia would be afraid of that hasn't been done to them already? Most isolated and sanctioned country on the planet, russian response "So what." Russia wants to win this no matter what.

I respectfully disagree. The russians are idiots, but the ultra rich are going to do their best to keep what they have, and if nukes are launched, they will lose everything.

Yup. I'm 99% sure NATO will buttfuck Russia without even needing nukes. Biden may be a fool, but he's also not a pushover- I think he's totally capable of ordering severe strikes on Russian forces if they are stupid enough to use nukes. What will NOT happen is large strikes on civilian centers.
Biden is not capable of a decision.  His handlers will be in increasingly close watch to steer him away from any substantial decision, comment, or action.

It's time for Biden's resignation.

Harris is just another puppet too. Biden and Harris, are interchangeable. The DNC insisted on both of them to simply by front-people for the deep state people running things.  (And really elderly drunk Pelosi too.) We really don’t know who is running this country, which is a first.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

you reckon the lack of ATACMS in the aid package has more to do with not wanting the tech to potentially falling into russian hands (dud or shot down)
or the official reason?
View Quote

I think the public admission of sending ATACMS was kept back as leverage in case of further Russian escalation.  It is being phased out for a new system.  I'm actually surprised that Russian air defense is not capable of adequately defending from standard Himars rounds, the ATACMS is even more capable against air defenses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]

I personally am not worried about the mobile launched nukes. I doubt they have been maintained for the years they have been bouncing around in those shitty trucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Yep, it is the mobile ground launchers that are the problem. Everything else can be hit within their reaction window.

Our interception capabilities are not up to that task yet, and Europe’s are almost nonexistent.

I personally am not worried about the mobile launched nukes. I doubt they have been maintained for the years they have been bouncing around in those shitty trucks.

Are the mobile ones true ICBMs with reach to the US, or are they range limited to be more of a European threat?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Yep, it is the mobile ground launchers that are the problem. Everything else can be hit within their reaction window.

Our interception capabilities are not up to that task yet, and Europe’s are almost nonexistent.

Are the mobile ones true ICBMs with reach to the US, or are they range limited to be more of a European threat?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sq40:

View All Quotes

Yes, capable of both.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-2PM_Topol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-2PM2_Topol-M
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I think even the dumbest of the Orc propaganda department are seeing the west would completely push Russia shit in without using nukes if Russia were to let one off.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By kncook:
I bet it’s also the easiest to get away with corruption and falsifying records.

The only way you get caught (as a commander/supervisor) of skimming off the top and neglecting the Strategic Nuke Forces in Russia is if they try to actually use them…..and getting caught wouldn’t really be that big of an issue when that rolls around.
View Quote

And the warheads are an entirely different thing from their delivery systems.

Have the Russians rigorously been keeping their strategic rocket forces refreshed and rotated, in addition to whatever maintenance they do or don't on the warheads themselves? Keeping those mobile launch vehicles up on maintenance schedules? Keeping those boomer subs in tip-top shape and regularly testing and verifying the launch mechanisms?

*Can* Russia refresh and refurb a modern or even recent-design missile, or have they fired pretty much all their airworthy Kalibrs at Ukraine already?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Girkin is a man without a moral compass, but he is far from being stupid.  And among the various Putineers, he is one who'll call a spade a spade.  He realizes that the use of nuclear weapons by Russia against Ukraine would be a point of no return, and that NATO would become involved directly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

Yes, capable of both.

What’s the track record of Russian equipment actually performing to published spec?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anono] [#13]

Not only that, but ever notice in the videos of them driving out to their launch points that they are pretty straight pathways carefully manicured to not have shrubs and trees in their way?  Nah, we'd never see that on satellite and SAR imagery from billions of dollars of spacecraft and technology dedicated just for finding those.

What interests me is that EVERY guided Russian weapon they took apart in this war has used commercial chips and parts.

Just food for thought, but we celebrated over 400 SM-3 exoatmospheric interceptors made.  They mostly go on mobile Aegis ships, and Aegis ashore bases in Poland, and Romania, and the Japanese navy. These are advertised as ascent and midcourse phase.  Over 500 SM-6 terminal phase Interceptors.   Hundreds of THAAD rounds, 10,000 Patriot rounds.  CHAMP and HiJinks emp cruise missiles, etc.  It was done quietly, but we've been eroding the rules of MAD for awhile, and it is accelerating.
View Quote

Another point is that the Russians likely haven't retrofitted their missiles with counter-measures. It's a costly and difficult process.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama_Rebel] [#14]

I think the public admission of sending ATACMS was kept back as leverage in case of further Russian escalation.  It is being phased out for a new system.  I'm actually surprised that Russian air defense is not capable of adequately defending from standard Himars rounds, the ATACMS is even more capable against air defenses.
View All Quotes

you reckon the lack of ATACMS in the aid package has more to do with not wanting the tech to potentially falling into russian hands (dud or shot down)
or the official reason?

The himars effect seem to multiply when the HARM, or whatever the radiation seeker is called, arrived on the scene. The new himmar pods ought to have that capability, if needed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Supposedly containing a large cobalt jacketed nuke intended to generate a tsunami to make our coasts uninhabitable for decades. While Russians are sick enough to develop such a thing I wonder if it’s really just a fantasy weapon to freak out the libtards and give the puffers a stiffie.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I know (roughly - not a DoD insider) what we’ve done wrt interception.  It’s fantastic and it’s something we’ve done very, very right instead of being complacent since 1991.

But are you confident we could get all leakers from a first strike?  Theoretically speaking. Even if the answer were “yes,” I’m not advocating we do that and no one is - but just as a probability exercise.  My understanding was our combined interception capabilities weren’t there yet, but I’m not an expert.

This is a good conversation to have, not a frightening one.  Because it underscores our ability to prevent a Russian - or anyone’s - first-use.  With MAD not an operable part of force and strike calculations, Russia becomes relatively impotent. Reminding them of that is very likely what the State Dept. has been doing recently.  If we wanted to, we could prevent a Russian nuclear use by simply saying “we view putting Ukraine under our nuclear umbrella as a logical corollary to the 1994 Budapest Memorandum.”  It is quite possibly what has already been done quietly.

Heck, we could make “The Budapest Corollary” a part of history more important than the Monroe Doctrine.

I wonder if Russia's recently announced 'doomsday torpedo' the nuclear powered unmanned underwater drone armed with a big nuke that if launched would wind its way across the ocean and detonate (maybe a month later) near some city...was in recognition that Russia's nuclear deterrence (sub or land launched missiles) have been diminished or even thwarted?

Poseidon

Supposedly containing a large cobalt jacketed nuke intended to generate a tsunami to make our coasts uninhabitable for decades. While Russians are sick enough to develop such a thing I wonder if it’s really just a fantasy weapon to freak out the libtards and give the puffers a stiffie.

I wonder the same. Seems like they had a nuke powered rocket that would fly back and forth that would pollute the atmosphere at one time too. Who comes up with shit like that. I wanna see some new shit, like lasers from space. There one minute, laser vapor the next, poof.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#16]

The Monroe Doctrine didn't enable that; it was an engine in motion already.  But the Monroe Doctrine did delimit what Euro powers did in the Caribbean basin. It was weak at best because it only honestly acknowledged the realpolitik that England and the alliance had de-facto kicked France and Spain to the curb during the Napoleonic Wars and already effectively taken them off the board.  Since it aligned with UK policy, it got a free ride.  The Monroe Doctrine is one of those things IMO with a big name and little real world effect, hence why I picked it as a comparison. ;)

View Quote

Sorry, for some reason my brain said "Manifest Destany".

After the Napoleonic Wars France and Russia wanted to invade Latin America and return them to the Spanish king. UK said "no", so nothing happened.

The RN in fact protected South America in practice.

The most significant thing for the modern world IMO is that Anglo-Saxon navies have dominated the surface of the world's oceans since at least 1805, with exception of ~the first half of 1942.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:57:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#17]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

What’s the track record of Russian equipment actually performing to published spec?
View All Quotes

Yes, capable of both.

Failure rate admitted to by Russia for their latest Bulva submarine ICBM is 40% and was accepted into service when the sub could fire four in a row.

It's an interesting read.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSM-56_Bulava
We would greatly increase their failure rate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Having lived through the cold war, I too share a sense of “cant do anything about it so why worry”.  I’m not afraid of a nuclear war as much as I am having to survive afterwards.  

I do feel like something is much different than before.  The Soviet Union had hope and power during the Cuban Missile Crisis. That let them act rationally, even with a defeat on the issue. They were still growing and expanding as an empire.  

. . .
View Quote

They left forces in Cuba, it wasn't as much a defeat for them as our media claimed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]

I wonder the same. Seems like they had a nuke powered rocket that would fly back and forth that would pollute the atmosphere at one time too. Who comes up with shit like that. I wanna see some new shit, like lasers from space. There one minute, laser vapor the next, poof.
View Quote

no that was us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

There isn't much left.

Battle Tank Dismantling, a company in Germany scrapped over 20k NATO AFV in the last 30 years because these idiot politicans in Europe believed the Russians would scrap their AFVs too.

No treaty with the Russians is worth the paper.

View Quote

Imagine how much money they could have made selling them to Americans on ebay.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]

A LAV 6.0 Armoured Combat Support Vehicle (ACSV) found on the Federal Motorway 20 in Germany, as part of a $500 million package of Canadian military aid for Ukraine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I know (roughly - not a DoD insider) what we’ve done wrt interception.  It’s fantastic and it’s something we’ve done very, very right instead of being complacent since 1991.

But are you confident we could get all leakers from a first strike?  Theoretically speaking. Even if the answer were “yes,” I’m not advocating we do that and no one is - but just as a probability exercise.  My understanding was our combined interception capabilities weren’t there yet, but I’m not an expert.

This is a good conversation to have, not a frightening one.  Because it underscores our ability to prevent a Russian - or anyone’s - first-use.  With MAD not an operable part of force and strike calculations, Russia becomes relatively impotent. Reminding them of that is very likely what the State Dept. has been doing recently.  If we wanted to, we could prevent a Russian nuclear use by simply saying “we view putting Ukraine under our nuclear umbrella as a logical corollary to the 1994 Budapest Memorandum.”  It is quite possibly what has already been done quietly.

Heck, we could make “The Budapest Corollary” a part of history more important than the Monroe Doctrine.

I wonder if Russia's recently announced 'doomsday torpedo' the nuclear powered unmanned underwater drone armed with a big nuke that if launched would wind its way across the ocean and detonate (maybe a month later) near some city...was in recognition that Russia's nuclear deterrence (sub or land launched missiles) have been diminished or even thwarted?

Poseidon

That was us.  Project Pluto.    

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

We came up with the rocket, and then said ,”that’s dumb, we’re not going to do that !”

THEN they tried to copy the idea, and blew up their test rig, or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

The USA can revoke his retirement (SS/Military/FERS/CSRS) for treason. Let him go back to work at his new location.
View Quote

Since the US isn’t engaged in conflict with Russia that’s not accurate. The right of Americans to serve as enlisted soldiers or volunteers in foreign wars (and presumably in foreign press as he would claim) as a matter of conscience is established by the Court and was an appropriate decision.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

no that was us.
View Quote

Project pluto
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Harris is just another puppet too. Biden and Harris, are interchangeable. The DNC insisted on both of them to simply by front-people for the deep state people running things.  (And really elderly drunk Pelosi too.) We really don’t know who is running this country, which is a first.
View Quote

Agreed. It's kinda scary. We used to be a democracy and now we have Milly-Vanilly "leading" us. Right now, most of us agree with the US handling of this conflict. Even though it seems to be their Plan "B". But if things get stupid and go sideways we have no idea who to blame.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#28]

Failure rate admitted to by Russia for their latest Bulva submarine ICBM is 40% and was accepted into service when the sub could fire four in a row.

View All Quotes

Yes, capable of both.

So realistically there is a greater than 50% chance that their ICBMs won’t launch at all.  Of the percentage that get off the ground, I wonder how many can fly, and what smaller percentage has functional guidance, and what subpercentage is capable of producing a chain reaction?

Fractions of fractions of fractions approach zero really quickly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

So what is the strategy here with doubling the himars?  Are they going to stop using them on strategic assest and start going for fixed tactical locations,  Aka trenches?
View Quote

We’ve already seen a shift from logistics and command nodes as targets to more and more counterbattery. That’s a good thing. It means they have enough systems and munitions to expand their use.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kipple:

Serious question: How could that be done without RU lobbing some nukes toward us or whoever?
If we launch nukes first targeted at their launch points, they will see ours and launch as well.
Could we get aircraft into their airspace and strike without them seeing us coming and shoot down the aircraft?
I'm assuming there would be no way for us to get people on the ground to the deed.
I'm also assuming we don't have some sort of star trek lasers on satellites that could do it.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not comprehending how we could first strike their nukes.
View Quote

Russia relies on long range radars for detecting incoming nukes, which is relatively short ranged and unreliable. They have about half the warning that we would have.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:
Apparently these 18 HIMARS won't get to Ukraine for about a year or two. The AP article says they're contracts for purchases.
View Quote

If true this is a mistake.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

The M-1 is heavy and maintenance intensive but could be done. The Leo 2 is not appreciably lighter. Poland is getting an Abrams maintenance facility because they are getting Abrams.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:24:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#33]

So realistically there is a greater than 50% chance that their ICBMs won’t launch at all.  Of the percentage that get off the ground, I wonder how many can fly, and what smaller percentage has functional guidance, and what subpercentage is capable of producing a chain reaction?

View All Quotes

Yes, capable of both.

Exactly.  The more complex the system the more chances of a failure.  The company that makes the Bulava admitted they can't machine to the tolerances required, among other things.  Seems like a common problem for them.  We assume all theirs work though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Always a calm voice of reason. I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Russia relies on long range radars for detecting incoming nukes, which is relatively short ranged
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DonS:

They left forces in Cuba, it wasn't as much a defeat for them as our media claimed.
View Quote

And shortly after the USSR removed their nukes from Cuba, the US removed our nukes from Turkey I believe, as part of the agreement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Rhum_Ham:
Always a calm voice of reason. I like the way you think.
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

More proof even they don't  believe their own bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
It seems likely Russia equals or exceeds our 10+ year total number of combat deaths during the entire Vietnam War today. Let that shit sink in for a moment.
View Quote

When they hit the 10k mark I wondered when this day would arrive.  It didn't them very take long!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Tucker Carlson pretty much telegraphed that last night in his Russian talking points.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#44]
Two explosions in Dnipro this morning about 1 am.  Rattled the windows. Fuck these pigs.

Instagram for Dnipro posted a picture of a nice glow in the distance.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Also mentioned aircraft activity over the Sea of Azov.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#45]
I'm still hoping today is the historic day that Lyman becomes encircled.

And the only route out becomes the Orc Highway of Death.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Not sure if this has been posted.... the russian TV news guy, ol putins friend got called up for the draft and is having a shit fit, even kicks off the other guy on the show cause he called him a pussy and coward, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvJSKzW1hM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvJSKzW1hM
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By doc540:
And the only route out becomes the Orc Highway of Death.
View Quote

I've heard it charmingly referred to as "The Rat Trail" along which the orcs must scurry without their equipment, in order to save their rat lives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Tucker Carlson pretty much telegraphed that last night in his Russian talking points.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

I remember you mentioning that last night and so we come full circle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#49]

LOL!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Still catching up…. But had to comment on what an accurate description of this man as a useful idiot.

He even is adopting a fake russian accent. And i bet he was even more head over heals for them when they gave him a little chest candy. Another reminder of the true value of all those soviets with practically a suit of armor of medals

Jackass
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/AC166510-D02C-4D2F-946A-352DB03427EE-2542562.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Originally Posted By Prime:

Still catching up…. But had to comment on what an accurate description of this man as a useful idiot.

He even is adopting a fake russian accent. And i bet he was even more head over heals for them when they gave him a little chest candy. Another reminder of the true value of all those soviets with practically a suit of armor of medals

Jackass
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/AC166510-D02C-4D2F-946A-352DB03427EE-2542562.png

He should get it on. Russia should draft him and sent him to the front lines.
Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2643 of 5589)
Top Top