Quoted:
Costco - Interstate

View Quote

^^^ this
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aside from asking what BRAND to get, it's also useful to ask what SIZE to get.

Car makers tend to install the smallest, lightest-weight battery that will last until the vehicle warranty runs out.

This is done to minimize cost, and help meet CAFE targets by minimizing weight.

Typically, the vehicle battery compartment will physically accommodate a much larger battery size - All you have to do it select it as a replacement for the original.

All other things being equal, a bigger battery does a better job of cranking the engine (due to having more capacity and cranking amps), and lasts longer (due to not having to work as hard).

Battery Size Chart

Example:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Frontier_Old_Grp_35_Battery_jpg-2107736.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Fronier_New_Grp_31_Battery_jpg-2107737.JPG
View Quote

This. My Honda Element came with a battery the size of a little taller lawn mower battery. It had VERY little capacity. It has a 24f in it now and it wasn't that hard to do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
wifes 2008 gmg envoy lasted 7 years. ac delco. replaced with delco its still in there today.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The one with the longest warranty and when that warranty is honored the price is not prorated.  Free replacement if battery fails during the warranty period..............
View Quote

I had my Tundra in for service and the 3.5 y/o original battery tested low. For around 30 bucks extra I got a no warranty period, get a new battery forever deal. Supposedly good at any Toyota dealer (I keep a copy of the invoice in my glove compartment). We'll see down the road.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
See if you can find a distributor nearby.

We have East Penn nearby (the factory with a shop), and even closer is an Interstate Distributor.

Buy a Blemished (Blem) battery.   I haven't been to East Penn (Deka) for a while as it's much further, but generally the batteries are $40ish for the Blem.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a batteries plus near you then I suggest one of their Duracells.  Buy it online and pick it up in store and they give you 10% off.  I've had extremely good luck with them and their customer service is much better than an autoparts store or big box.  Whatever you do don't buy from Sams, Walmart, or Interstate.  20 years ago Interstate was the best, but not any more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually replace my motorcraft batteries in my Ford's by 8 years to be safe. The one in my 2016 F150 needs replaced now at 5 years. Gonna try and do that in the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everstart Maxx from Walmart
View Quote

I have had better luck with Everstart Max batteries over anything else. Only other 2 that are on the same level are NAPA and Motorcraft batteries. But the Everstart you can get a replacement on Saturday night or Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Whichever one is in stock?
View Quote
Exactly what I was going to say
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you have a batteries plus near you then I suggest one of their Duracells.  Buy it online and pick it up in store and they give you 10% off.  I've had extremely good luck with them and their customer service is much better than an autoparts store or big box.  Whatever you do don't buy from Sams, Walmart, or Interstate.  20 years ago Interstate was the best, but not any more.
View Quote

Ummm, Sam's carries Duracell.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interstate
View Quote
This every time for every vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
There are only a few actual manufacturers of lead acid batteries. Johnson controls is the big one. They probably make 80% of the brands mentioned in this thread.

Deka/east Penn are good stuff for flooded style.

Odyssey is tier 1 for AGM.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Northstar (Batteries Plus X2 Power) or Deka / East Penn Duracell Ultra Platinum
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Northstar (Batteries Plus X2 Power) or Deka / East Penn Duracell Ultra Platinum
View Quote
They list Northstar on the odyssey site, are they owned by Enersys?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whichever one is in stock?
View Quote

This.  Seems last couple times I needed a battery I didn’t have the luxury of picking brands.  Had to just go with what was in stock in the size I needed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Ever start MAXX is usually what I go with. Less expensive and most batteries are made by the same place anyways.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yeah I buy Motorcraft batteries in my trucks.
I'd run Delco if I decided i wanted to fuck up and buy a GM product
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm seriously OCD about this, but every Ford product I've ever owned has had a Motorcraft battery and every GM car I've owned has had a Delco battery.  I've never owned a Chrysler product because I'm too fat to walk everywhere...  

yeah I buy Motorcraft batteries in my trucks.
I'd run Delco if I decided i wanted to fuck up and buy a GM product

To be fair, the newest GM product I currently own was built in 1972, so...  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
^ this, made by Johnson controls
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^ this, made by Johnson controls

Lately - this is not true.  Every Maxx vehicle battery I have seen at Wal-Mart in the past two years was East Penn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#21]
East Penn Mfg. AKA DEKA. O'Reilly's or Sam's club batteries.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Johnson Controls sold off the lead-acid battery business about 3 years ago.

The battery business in Johnson Controls is now owned by Brookfield Asset Management.

They changed the name on all of their JCI buildings to "Clarios".
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Been using them for years.  Overall, just as good at Interstate, etc.  Better than many, actually.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
128 AA batteries should do it....
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
AC Delco.

Battery died in my Jeep a few months ago and nobody had one in stock, plus what is required is outrageously expensive.
Stopped by my favorite boneyard and they gave me this one for $40 OTD. The sucker was damned near brand new.

CCA is everything !!!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#27]
been using costco batteries for years, use to run spendy agm or the like.....just replaced the 2015 costco battery in my 2000 LC, old one was fine but winter is coming.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Aside from asking what BRAND to get, it's also useful to ask what SIZE to get.

Car makers tend to install the smallest, lightest-weight battery that will last until the vehicle warranty runs out.

This is done to minimize cost, and help meet CAFE targets by minimizing weight.

Typically, the vehicle battery compartment will physically accommodate a much larger battery size - All you have to do it select it as a replacement for the original.

All other things being equal, a bigger battery does a better job of cranking the engine (due to having more capacity and cranking amps), and lasts longer (due to not having to work as hard).

Battery Size Chart

Example:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Frontier_Old_Grp_35_Battery_jpg-2107736.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Fronier_New_Grp_31_Battery_jpg-2107737.JPG
View Quote

Have you seen batteries in newer cars? The one in my charger is 15" wide. Same for me old Pontiac G8.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ummm, Sam's carries Duracell.  
View Quote

They do.  Almost always old.  Never have new batteries on the shelf in my experience.  I was told it has something to do with their supply chain, but all I know is at my local store there are batteries that are 6 months old and older sitting on the shelves.  Batteries plus I've never bought one older than 2 months.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Need to go tomorrow to get a new battery for my truck. Mine shit itself. Which one to get?

ETA: It's a 2018 GMC Sierra.
View Quote

How did it shit itself in three years?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#32]
The OEM panasonic that I had in my 2008 4Runner lasted 8 years but it's a Japanese made battery. When it died I went with Costco branded one, and now they have Interstate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I buy interstate because their office is next to mine.  Have them in the entire fleet as needed.  I would just buy whatever the fleet parts store stocks if not
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Costco Interstate...just replaced one last week in my truck....sticker on it was Jan 15...so well over 6 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Die Hard Platinum AGM.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Holy shit, if my batteries only lasted three years, I'd be bankrupt.  8 batteries currently sitting in my driveway, including 2 trucks with dual setups.

Mine usually last 6-7 years.  I don't buy one particular brand, as much as I buy construction - AGM only.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holy shit, if my batteries only lasted three years, I'd be bankrupt.  8 batteries currently sitting in my driveway, including 2 trucks with dual setups.

Mine usually last 6-7 years.  I don't buy one particular brand, as much as I buy construction - AGM only.
View Quote

Not saying that's a bad idea... but AGM batteries around here cost 65% more than a comparable flooded lead acid in the same lineup/warranty coverage.  So using your average of 6.5 years of lifespan, the flooded LA battery only needs to last 3.9 years for the cost to be the same to you.  I love AGM batteries, and put one in my wife's vehicle, but over the long haul I do not expect it to save me any money.  If it fails before it gets to 6 years, I will have lost money betting on AGM.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They do.  Almost always old.  Never have new batteries on the shelf in my experience.  I was told it has something to do with their supply chain, but all I know is at my local store there are batteries that are 6 months old and older sitting on the shelves.  Batteries plus I've never bought one older than 2 months.
View Quote

Not my recent experience.  Batteries needed replacing in our two 2016 vehicles after 5 years.  Also needed to replace the battery in our 2005 92x.  All batteries were "new".  We actually had to wait a few days/weeks for them to get two of those in stock.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Buy the biggest one that fits your car.

Find one that uses AGM (glass mat) and is sealed...not typical lead acid that can dry out and leak.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#40]
$40 refurb
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Interstate batteries at Costco are not true Interstate. Black case with black top indicates it was manufactured by Exide. A true Interstate is a green top with white case. However, I'm running 2 Costco specials. Price and no questions asked warranty sold me on them.
View Quote
The only batteries I've seen at my local Costco are the green top interstate Batteries.

I was going to try one last time I needed a battery but they didn't carry the size I needed so I went back to what I've been buying for 20 years now... Bosch (from Pep Boys). I had one die a little early (~2.5 years) but all the other ones I've had have been great and lasted much longer (at least 5+ years).
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need to go tomorrow to get a new battery for my truck. Mine shit itself. Which one to get?

That is a good question. I've never had that happen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Every battery that I have bought has lasted one month longer than warranty period.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#44]
East Penn. Sold under several brand names including Deka. They’ve always last 6+ years for me.

I used to like Interstate but their quality has slipped compared to the past.

Walmart wins for convenience if you need a warranty replacement. The initial price is pretty good too.

Optima has gone downhill from when they first came out. I wouldn’t recommend them for how much they cost.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#45]
My Group 65 battery at Wal-Mart, the EverStart MAXX, is $88.  Three years ago it was $94.

We are experiencing deflation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

40 years of background as a technician mostly with GM.

Stay with AC delco, thank me latter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40 years of background as a technician mostly with GM.

Stay with AC delco, thank me latter

what he says

Ive been selling parts and behind a GM counter since 1993 and yes just throw another AC delce back in it and get 4 yrs hopefully out of it
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Find one that uses AGM (glass mat) and is sealed...not typical lead acid that can dry out and leak.  

View Quote

Yep.  I stick with AGM batteries ever since a lead acid battery leaked out in my FJ Cruiser.    

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep.  I stick with AGM batteries ever since a lead acid battery leaked out in my FJ Cruiser.    

https://i.imgur.com/eEH7OSr.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/eEH7OSr.jpg

AGM batteries are still lead and acid.  If the case is compromised both will leak sulfuric acid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#49]
O'reillys has a top notch warranty and they stand by it!

No prorated BS, etc.

I walked in with the battery and receipt, they tested it and I walked out with a new one. Easy peasy...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Trending the correct direction
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interstate

Quoted:
Costco - Interstate

Quoted:
Die hard. Autozone.  

Jk.

But seriously, get a interstate from Costco. Agm.  Cheap as heck. Beat bag for your buck.
Trending the correct direction

Yep. I get mine from NTB. Next set I may try the reintroduced Diehards, but the Interstate have been pretty danged dependable. .
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top