BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the shields were made of combustable materials.   https://www.quora.com/How-were-Ancient-Roman-shields-made
View Quote
That's how they got the wood fired oven flavor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
All I know is that I can wake up just about anywhere in Italy, stumble down to the hotel restaurant and get a piece of cold pizza for breakfast and it’s considered classy
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Auxillaries and cavaly often carried round bronze shields from what ive read.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the most part it's true, but Roman soldiers made something very similar to pizza by cooking bread on their shields and adding cheese and whatever they could forage

the shields were made of combustable materials.   https://www.quora.com/How-were-Ancient-Roman-shields-made

Ahhh Sooo.  It was Barbarians from Gaul then, who cooked the first Pizza.  The French!     It actually makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tomatoes did not exist in Europe until like a few hundred years ago. Wrap your head around that
View Quote
No tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco, chocolate, hot pepper/chilli peoper, I forget what else.
these all came from the Americas/new world.
Sure that gave anybody from around 1500 to figure out how to incorporate them though.
But it is a bit reality altering when you put that in perspective considering the things we think of as certain regions foods.

No potatoes in Ireland.
No tomatoes in Italy
No tomatoes, potatoes, hot spice in India (and additional things that are brought by the brits like cauliflower and massive increase in tea production + possibly introducing masala chai)

NO pasta did not come from China.
Ketchup did come from China, it is a preservation method, sauce that was adapted in America to preservation of tomatoes.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was actually surprised to learn that the tomato, which I relate to most Italian dishes, was is only a few centuries old in Italy and was a gift from the Queen of Spain, imported from the Americas. The tomato is not native to Europe
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tune in Next week, when OP finds out the PF Changs is not authentic Chinese cuisine...
View Quote

Or Chop Suey, fortune cookies, and many of the “Americanized” dishes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was actually surprised to learn that the tomato, which I relate to most Italian dishes, was is only a few centuries old in Italy and was a gift from the Queen of Spain, imported from the Americas. The tomato is not native to Europe
View Quote

Not only did the tomato come from the Americas, at first it was NOT accepted in Europe since it's part of the nightshade family.  It took a while for them to come around.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Knowing what we know about the chinese now I'm sure they just stole the invention from somewhere else.
View Quote

Probably America...
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The first time I ordered pizza in Naples it was very different than American pizza but in a good way
View Quote

When I was in the uk 30 years ago there was a small hole in the wall italian place, run by a 60yr old guy from naples...  his pizza was barely cooked thin dough... heavy on the minced garlic... diced roma tomatoes...a tiny bit of cheese (garnish level cheese) that was it. Take it or leave it. Oh you could have minestrone soup with it too. That was the lunch menu.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So if you were going to visit Italy, would you go in the Spring when they tap the olive trees to make olive oil, or in the Fall when they pick the spaghetti?
View Quote

They pick the spaghetti in spring...

BBC: Spaghetti-Harvest in Ticino | Switzerland Tourism
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
There's also no such thing as peperoni.  

If you ask for "peperoni" in Italy it means bell peppers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine came to the US from Italy as an adult.  His favorite "Italian" dish is lobster mac 'n' cheese and he thinks Olive Garden is really good.

The Italians are a poor and degenerate race.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All I know is that I can wake up just about anywhere in Italy, stumble down to the hotel restaurant and get a piece of cold pizza for breakfast and it’s considered classy
View Quote

Cold pizza and beer... breakfast of champions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Canned tuna pizza
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do do dododo
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A friend of mine came to the US from Italy as an adult.  His favorite "Italian" dish is lobster mac 'n' cheese and he thinks Olive Garden is really good.

The Italians are a poor and degenerate race.
View Quote

It’s different !!!  
It has a lot of cheese, sodium and carbs!!
Plentiful
And cheap !!! He was probably poor and skinny growing up.

An upper middle class or wealthy Italian would have a different take.

My dad told me (his experience was the 60s) that the fat Italians were in America and that most of the ones he encountered in Italy were poor and skinny
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what you’re saying is, America made pizza great !
View Quote

and America ruined it by adding crap like anchovies, eggs, ham, lettuce, onions, steak, chicken, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, and all sorts of other crap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
made up bullshit
View Quote

ok OP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I didn't know that
View Quote

Phoenix Wright - Objection!
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you know that not every person in Italy eats pasta! Did you know that the majority don’t eat tomato sauce! Food is very regional and what you eat depends on where you live in italy
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#21]
My Grandma was off the boat southern Italy and cooked some badass pizza. Oddly enough what's known as Grandma slices at the legit NY pizza places closely resemble hers. Thin crust, fresh tomatoes and light cheese.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Both of my grandmothers first generation to come to America. They both made pizza with crushed tomatoes, basil, and a couple of shakes of pecorino Romano on top. Anything else to them was not necessary. When I was old enough to drive I brought a cheese and pepperoni pizza to my grandmother. She refused to even try it. Started swearing in Italian and that was the last time I ever did that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, we had a little Italian lady in our church in the sixties. My Mom had done something for her so she invited us for dinner.

One of the courses was pizza, but I recall it being something like a deep dish lasagna, but with bread instead of pasta.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Didn’t the Chinese create pasta and the Italians only put sauce on it?  So, I’ve heard.  
View Quote

Gravy
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yea, looks legit dego pizza, I should know my family is from Abruzzo Italy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yea, looks legit dego pizza, I should know my family is from Abruzzo Italy.

You taught the world how to eat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Flatbread with stuff on it is not an Italian invention.

Pizza, however, is most certainly an Italian invention.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Roman Centurions would disagree, the flat bread "Pizza" was filled and folded and carried in
a meal kit of roman soldiers.

American Pizza was born in NYC feeding Italian workers in the early 1900s...don't know where that chicago crap came from
probably born of a mistake in some Greek deli.

Tomatoes, as stated above were not even commonly eaten until the mid 1800 as they were thought to be poisonous.

yes very brief statement here, far more complicated and probably off by a few years on whens...
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some of you ignants should google why a pizza Marguerita is called that way...
View Quote

Named after Queen Margarit....

a real Queen, not your average tranny loving arfcom "queen"
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#29]
All ethnic food sucks with the exception of French food. The rest has been wonderfully bastardized by Americans to what you know today.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

and America ruined it by adding crap like anchovies, eggs, ham, lettuce, onions, steak, chicken, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, and all sorts of other crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you're saying is, America made pizza great !

I'll take a Little Caesar's with pepperoni over some cracker with a drop of sauce and sprinkle of cheese.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Foccacia bread.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The first time I ordered pizza in Naples it was very different than American pizza but in a good way
View Quote

Naples street vendor "pizza" is what comes to mind when i think "authentic".
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Same with Tacos.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Flat bread with some kind of topping is a middle eastern thing originally.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Didn't the Chinese create pasta and the Italians only put sauce on it?  So, I've heard.  
View Quote
Something closely resembling lasagna was made in ancient Rome, and macaroni and cheese has a similarly long history in Europe, known since at least the dark ages. Thin noodles were devoloped independently in China.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wait until they find out that Americans make better beer, wine and cheese than the euoropoors too.
View Quote

It is rare that a post is more wrong than this. The French and Italians make very good wine and cheese. The Germans make the best beer. The beer purity law is a great idea.  Americans keep making ipa's that taste like a half eaten urinal mint soaked in swamp water.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Obviously, the history of pizza is fairly short, as are the histories of a lot of "traditional" dishes.  I do find it funny when people say "he's from Italy - he knows pizza / pasta / whatever!"  There are lots of different regions, with their own regional cuisines, in most countries: Italy is no exception.  Someone who never left the Italian alps would scarcely recognize Sicilian food as Italian.  It would be like an Italian saying "my friend (from New Hampshire) is American - he knows barbecue!"

You are correct that pizza, particularly as we know it, is a relatively modern invention, and varies greatly between the U.S. and Italy.  I am not arguing against your point.  It varies quite a bit in Italy, itself.  As someone who has known people born in Europe who can't cook for shit, and were basically bumpkins, I just find it a little funny when people see foreigners as experts in their country's cuisine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
American soldiers invented French fries.
View Quote

Yes, but the French invented French Flys.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I always assumed it started out as an herbed flat bread.  Perhaps a little cheese was put on it for taste.  Maybe eventually thin slices of tomato were also placed on it as well.  The only reason tomato paste would have been used was canning made it cheaply available year round.  That said, one of the great things about tomatoes is they are easily grown on a balcony herb garden.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#40]
The OP did no research before he started his thread!

He needs to back up all of his assertions about the invention of PIZZA!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So what you’re saying is, America made pizza great !
View Quote

That is what I have always read.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wait until they find out that Americans make better beer, wine and cheese than the euoropoors too.
View Quote

Beer… until we stop the silly “add MOAR ingredients” fad…the eurotards will have the edge here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the most part it's true, but Roman soldiers made something very similar to pizza by cooking bread on their shields and adding cheese and whatever they could forage

Yea. Parma (mounted) and Scutum both wood. Cetra Was wood as well but not very Roman.

Regardless the Romans and  probably deriving from the Etruscans, or Greeks or some others,  had flatbreads with stuff on top. There's a fair amount of evidence, even a poem or two.

Lots of Eastern Med cultures put shit on flatbread. Romans had Panis Foccacius.

Pizza Napoli has a pretty clear, if somewhat fanciful, history. As above the Tomato arrived from Peru and for quite a time many believed poisonous. But the poor hafta eat so they did. Everyone knows the name Queen 'Margherita' - nobody recalls Rafael Esposito.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some of you ignants should google why a pizza Marguerita is called that way...
View Quote

Red sauce, white cheese, and green basil leaves, the colors of the Italian flag. And in honor of Queen Margarite.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure the Parma and latter Clipeus we're both wood planked? @Stutzmech

From what little I know even the few Greek shields extant that show metal exteriors, they were rather thin and appear to have needed wicker or wood structures supporting. Plus you have straps and attachments. I can't see regular  use, but like helmets used, I'm sure there were field expedients. Shod, bosses, plated or ribbed with metal, sure. But much combustible. But Rome had a long history and huge footprint so somebody somewhere might have - just not what's seen commonly

Maybe metal parts of old shields were used when damaged beyond repair?

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

None of the new world nightshade cultivars are.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#49]

The term pizza was first recorded in the 10th century in a Latin manuscript from the Southern Italian town of Gaeta in Lazio, on the border with Campania.[4] Modern pizza was invented in Naples, and the dish and its variants have since become popular in many countries.[5] It has become one of the most popular foods in the world and a common fast food item in Europe, North America and Australasia; available at pizzerias (restaurants specializing in pizza), restaurants offering Mediterranean cuisine, and via pizza delivery.[5][6] Various food companies also sell ready-baked frozen pizzas in grocery stores, to be reheated in an ordinary home oven.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Everything I needed to know in life I learned from GI-JOE.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top