BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everything they've released has been on the higher end trims.  However, I did find a YouTube video of the SR5.  It was similar to what we have seen from the other trims, maybe more plain, though.  No wireless charger and some of the switches were dummies.  It still had a center console, though.

Also, the SR will only come in a double cab.  To get the crew max, you have to move up to an SR5.  The video of the SR5 had a 6'2" guy getting in the double cab, and he was cramped.  Airline economy cramped.  It would be only good for kids under 10.

I wish!  It seems like everyone is abandoning the shifter on the column and going to center consoles.  I run radio equipment in my vehicles, so the lack of a center console is a big plus to me.  

I've heard rumblings that the average MPG with the twin turbo is around 22mpg.  This was figured out by using a foreign sales only vehicle with comparable weight and the same engine.  And before some arfcommer takes exception, its a SWAG!  I've also heard pricing for the SR would be around $35K and the SR5 maybe $37K.  Again, those are best guesses.

I don't mind the looks of the new Tundra.  Its back on the list of trucks to buy in a couple of years when I'm ready to buy.  To be honest, i'm looking more for reliability than looks, and Toyota gives you reliability.  At my age and now working from home, the next vehicle I buy for myself may be the last vehicle I buy.  Reliability is a bigger consideration than looks.

I will admit that some of the available interiors look like they were decorated in "cheap New Orleans whorehouse" style.  I wonder if you get a pair of fuzzy dice with the red interior?  I would go for gray or black.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No SR5 interior pics?

Everything they've released has been on the higher end trims.  However, I did find a YouTube video of the SR5.  It was similar to what we have seen from the other trims, maybe more plain, though.  No wireless charger and some of the switches were dummies.  It still had a center console, though.

Also, the SR will only come in a double cab.  To get the crew max, you have to move up to an SR5.  The video of the SR5 had a 6'2" guy getting in the double cab, and he was cramped.  Airline economy cramped.  It would be only good for kids under 10.

Quoted:
Also, can you get it 6 passenger and a column shifter? Serious.

I wish!  It seems like everyone is abandoning the shifter on the column and going to center consoles.  I run radio equipment in my vehicles, so the lack of a center console is a big plus to me.  

Quoted:
I'll consider it in 2023 when looking for my next truck.  Interested in the fuel economy numbers and pricing to compare to what I currently have in mind.

I've heard rumblings that the average MPG with the twin turbo is around 22mpg.  This was figured out by using a foreign sales only vehicle with comparable weight and the same engine.  And before some arfcommer takes exception, its a SWAG!  I've also heard pricing for the SR would be around $35K and the SR5 maybe $37K.  Again, those are best guesses.

I don't mind the looks of the new Tundra.  Its back on the list of trucks to buy in a couple of years when I'm ready to buy.  To be honest, i'm looking more for reliability than looks, and Toyota gives you reliability.  At my age and now working from home, the next vehicle I buy for myself may be the last vehicle I buy.  Reliability is a bigger consideration than looks.

I will admit that some of the available interiors look like they were decorated in "cheap New Orleans whorehouse" style.  I wonder if you get a pair of fuzzy dice with the red interior?  I would go for gray or black.

But you have to admit the 6'2" guy had just sat in the driver's seat, then climbed immediately into the seat behind the driver. Show some normal height people using it and it will look a lot more reasonable with the driver's seat forward and a shorter femur. I wouldn't want to ride back there, but who wants to ride in the back of any vehicle?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But you have to admit the 6'2" guy had just sat in the driver's seat, then climbed immediately into the seat behind the driver. Show some normal height people using it and it will look a lot more reasonable with the driver's seat forward and a shorter femur. I wouldn't want to ride back there, but who wants to ride in the back of any vehicle?

Kharn
View Quote

Hey, I'm 6'2" and that's normal height!

Being serious, whatever truck I get needs to have the ability to seat four people comfortably.  I learned that lesson years ago.

I did see another video today where a 5' 7" guy (almost my wife's height, BTW) sat in the driver's seat.  There's more room for the backseat passengers, but not much.

Quoted:

That's probably a good combined MPG number for the hybrid. The F-150 PowerBoost seems to be pretty close to that real world.

That's overly optimistic for the standard 3.5 turbo, assuming we're talking 4x4. For the size and power of this truck, looking at its peers, I'd think 18 MPG combined is about the most we should hope for.
View Quote

It was for the twin turbo 3.5.  What the fella did was to get the spec sheet for a similar weight Toyota vehicle that is only sold overseas (Dubai, maybe) with a 10 speed tranny, then converted the specs from metric.  The average mpg was 22.something.  I can't remember exactly, but I believe he even factored in what emissions controls would do.

I did see another video where the fella said he would have the specs next week.  I'm waiting to see what the mpg actually is.  IMHO, the Tundra is going to fall flat on its big grill if the mpg specs aren't in the low 20s.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The 3.5l v6 tt in the new tundra has already been around for about 10 years with Lexus... haven't heard them whining about engine issues.

ETA: and what is a full size these days? 87% of GD would argue it's definitely not a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton? 1 ton?

Like the poster above who said he's approaching the new Tundra with an open mind, but waiting for specs - I'm in the same boat. If the payload is there and the mpg is there, I'll probably pull the trigger, otherwise, I'll continue weighing my options.
View Quote

As I read it from the Toyota engineer, this 3.5 is all new and only shares the displacement value of the Lexus 3.5.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was for the twin turbo 3.5.  What the fella did was to get the spec sheet for a similar weight Toyota vehicle that is only sold overseas (Dubai, maybe) with a 10 speed tranny, then converted the specs from metric.  The average mpg was 22.something.  I can't remember exactly, but I believe he even factored in what emissions controls would do.

I did see another video where the fella said he would have the specs next week.  I'm waiting to see what the mpg actually is.  IMHO, the Tundra is going to fall flat on its big grill if the mpg specs aren't in the low 20s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's probably a good combined MPG number for the hybrid. The F-150 PowerBoost seems to be pretty close to that real world.

That's overly optimistic for the standard 3.5 turbo, assuming we're talking 4x4. For the size and power of this truck, looking at its peers, I'd think 18 MPG combined is about the most we should hope for.

Using international MPG specs to estimate US specs is something of a trap. Different markets receive different configurations, they have different testing standards, and they might even have a different definition of what a gallon is.

Even within the US, published numbers for trucks can be a bit dicey. The EPA requires different tests for different engines, transmissions, and 2WD/4x4. They do not require different tests for cab configurations, gear ratios, wheels, or anything else.

A good but fairly extreme example would be something like a Ram 1500 Rebel. If you look at the window sticker for a non-eTorque Rebel crew cab (a factory lifted truck with 3.92 gears and chonky AT tires), the numbers were most likely achieved by a non-eTorque Tradesman quad cab (with 3.21 gears, smaller wheels, and highway tires). Depending upon how a truck is option, it might hit the published numbers, or it might miss the mark by as much as 20%.

The other thing to consider here is that forced induction vehicles in particular can game the system somewhat depending upon how they're tuned/geared.

As a point of reference, the EPA numbers for the 2021 3.5L EcoBoost F-150 4x4 are 17/23/19 MPG. That is a test truck in test conditions. The Fuelly number for 2021 3.5L EcoBoost F-150s in the real world is 16.7 MPG. That's all trucks with a wide variety of trims, drivers, and driving situations.

Can this new Tundra beat that? It's possible. Can the Tundra beat that by 15%+? That's very unlikely.

When you look at the numbers for competitive half ton 4x4s with optional engines, 18-19 MPG combined on the EPA test would be a very competitive and realistic number for the Tundra. Anything above that would be a bonus.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As I read it from the Toyota engineer, this 3.5 is all new and only shares the displacement value of the Lexus 3.5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3.5l v6 tt in the new tundra has already been around for about 10 years with Lexus... haven't heard them whining about engine issues.

ETA: and what is a full size these days? 87% of GD would argue it's definitely not a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton? 1 ton?

Like the poster above who said he's approaching the new Tundra with an open mind, but waiting for specs - I'm in the same boat. If the payload is there and the mpg is there, I'll probably pull the trigger, otherwise, I'll continue weighing my options.

Some of the press are quick to point out it's actually 3.4xx L, not 3.500+ L so false advertising.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Using international MPG specs to estimate US specs is something of a trap. Different markets receive different configurations, they have different testing standards, and they might even have a different definition of what a gallon is.

Even within the US, published numbers for trucks can be a bit dicey. The EPA requires different tests for different engines, transmissions, and 2WD/4x4. They do not require different tests for cab configurations, gear ratios, wheels, or anything else.

A good but fairly extreme example would be something like a Ram 1500 Rebel. If you look at the window sticker for a non-eTorque Rebel crew cab (a factory lifted truck with 3.92 gears and chonky AT tires), the numbers were most likely achieved by a non-eTorque Tradesman quad cab (with 3.21 gears, smaller wheels, and highway tires). Depending upon how a truck is option, it might hit the published numbers, or it might miss the mark by as much as 20%.

The other thing to consider here is that forced induction vehicles in particular can game the system somewhat depending upon how they're tuned/geared.

As a point of reference, the EPA numbers for the 2021 3.5L EcoBoost F-150 4x4 are 17/23/19 MPG. That is a test truck in test conditions. The Fuelly number for 2021 3.5L EcoBoost F-150s in the real world is 16.7 MPG. That's all trucks with a wide variety of trims, drivers, and driving situations.

Can this new Tundra beat that? It's possible. Can the Tundra beat that by 15%+? That's very unlikely.

When you look at the numbers for competitive half ton 4x4s with optional engines, 18-19 MPG combined on the EPA test would be a very competitive and realistic number for the Tundra. Anything above that would be a bonus.

View Quote

You are correct.  Even the fella doing the math admitted that his numbers are strictly a SWAG.  

We won't know for sure until the EPA figures come out.  Until then, all we can do is guess.

But if they end up having worse MPG than the F150, Silverado or RAM, it's going to be an epic fail on Toyota's part.  1-2 mpg better than the previous generation isn't going to cut it and won't help sales numbers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Admittedly I have not read this entire thread.

Does the new Tundra still take 87 octane gas?  Or does it require the 91 or 93?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like a Chevy truck fucked an Audi SUV and this abomination was the result.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
1985 called, and wants its interior styling back.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah man,  looks how beefy this frame and rear axle is!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/ToyotaTundraChassis.jpg/1280px-ToyotaTundraChassis.jpg

Toyota is smarter than the others.  They build flex into their frames because they don't want them to be brittle.  FLEX = STRENGTH!!!

https://tnstatic.net/attachments/upload_2020-6-23_16-40-12-gif.446859/

It'll tow a space shuttle!!

View Quote

All that ass jiggling is making my dick hard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

People on Reddit are leaking dealer order information and pages from the owner manual.

It needs 87 octane in the US and Canada ((R+M)/2 method), or 91 octane using the RON method (Mexico and rest of the world) per the manual page I saw.

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

People on Reddit are leaking dealer order information and pages from the owner manual.

It needs 87 octane in the US and Canada ((R+M)/2 method), or 91 octane using the RON method (Mexico and rest of the world) per the manual page I saw.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20211008-200804_Chrome_jpg-2123034.JPG

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20211008-200804_Chrome_jpg-2123034.JPG

Kharn

The standard fuel tank is only 22.5 gallons?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

That's the one truck a year they submit to the EPA for their mileage testing and the "Starting at $XX,XXX" advertising.
Every truck on the dealer lots gets the bigger fuel tank and much higher pricing.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No SR5 interior pics?

Quoted:
Also, can you get it 6 passenger and a column shifter? Serious.

Quoted:
I'll consider it in 2023 when looking for my next truck.  Interested in the fuel economy numbers and pricing to compare to what I currently have in mind.

Kharn

I second that 6'2 is a normal height.

The 3.5l v6 tt has been around in Lexus in the states for some time, already. In the LS500, which weighs about 5000 lbs, the engine makes 410hp and 440 ft/lb. In AWD, it gets 17mpg city, 27mpg highway, for a combined 21mpg. Toyota has obviously tuned the engine differently to produce more torque. I will hope for highway mpgs somewhere in the mid 20s.

According to the picture, the V35A-FTS is the exact same engine as in the Lexus, which makes me suspect that reddit lies, for what it's worth.

ETA - the LS500 has a 10 speed auto, as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

0W-20?  Wow!  My wife's Mazda takes that, and its harder to find around here than an honest politician.  If I need more than a quart or two at a time, I have to order it and have it shipped to me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally watched the TRD Pro video from TFL Offroad (this one), it reminds me of some '70s velour interior pimp mobile.
Sure, I'd love to have one, but I'd get a hat with a feather, a pimp cane (I could use a cane some times these days thanks to a recent car accident, which is also why I'm considering consolidating from a commuter car and beater truck to the Tundra), and coat to wear.

Attachment Attached File

The loss of the under-seat storage sucks, it would be nice if it even had a 1" or 2" deep pocket rather than being completely flat. But with two kids in car seats/boosters, I won't be able to easily access under there for a number of years anyway.

Quoted:

0W-20?  Wow!  My wife's Mazda takes that, and its harder to find around here than an honest politician.  If I need more than a quart or two at a time, I have to order it and have it shipped to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Honda requires 0W-20 in their 3.5L, their biggest engine across the Passport, Pilot, Odyssey, etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Why do companies use timing belts?

That's always a fun thing to do around 100k miles
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I finally watched the TRD Pro video from TFL Offroad (this one), it reminds me of some '70s velour interior pimp mobile.
Sure, I'd love to have one, but I'd get a hat with a feather, a pimp cane (I could use a cane some times these days thanks to a recent car accident, which is also why I'm considering consolidating from a commuter car and beater truck to the Tundra), and coat to wear.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/EIC665yUEAAu_v6_jpg-2123861.JPG

The loss of the under-seat storage sucks, it would be nice if it even had a 1" or 2" deep pocket rather than being completely flat. But with two kids in car seats/boosters, I won't be able to easily access under there for a number of years anyway.

Honda requires 0W-20 in their 3.5L, their biggest engine across the Passport, Pilot, Odyssey, etc.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/EIC665yUEAAu_v6_jpg-2123861.JPG

Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Kharn

The non-hybrid version has the regular underseat storage in the back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
@kharn

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Limited Double cab
States hybrid only available on CrewMax, also goes through the cabin controls pretty well vs most 'omg I love thissss must buyyyy but lets never open the doors' reviews. TRD Offroad still available on Limited. Max towing 8300lbs for 6.5' double cab, 1530lbs payload sticker. JBL sound system pipes in fake noise. Transmission oil cooler is back for '22. 5'7" dude complains about legroom in the back.
Can't really seat 4? 2022 Toyota Tundra Double Cab first look

Limited CrewMax TRD Off-road package, 5.5' bed.
Same dude as the first review, hybrids available in the spring, 1400lbs of payload on this model, 4WD selector doesn't have Auto, just 2H, 4H, 4L,
I'm going to buy this 2022 Toyota Tundra, here's which one

1794 CrewMax hybrid 6.5' bed:
Hands on with the 2022 Toyota Tundra!

SR5 TRD Sport CrewMax, but the dude is a huge douche.
Interior starts at 10:00. Panoramic sun roof on this model (I think this is CrewMax only?), optional digital rear view mirror. Sport, Normal, and Eco driving modes. SR5 is missing the following from the rear seat: driver's seatback pocket (has passenger pocket), USB and 12v power, and pull-down armrest.
Is the NEW 2022 Toyota Tundra SR5 a BETTER truck than a Ford F-150 XLT?

SR5 TRD Sport double cab
She mixes footage from multiple trim levels, so you have to be careful to pay attention. She says the hybrid is available on limited and higher.
2022 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Sport Walkaround | HANDS-ON

Limited CrewMax:
No rear sun shades on the Limited
*HANDS ON* 2022 Toyota Tundra Limited will SELL like hotcakes

Limited CrewMax again:
Look at the panoramic sun roof from above
** Episode 6 ** 2022 Tundra Limited Review - LOADED!

The embargo ends 7am Eastern on 12 October for driving reviews.

I'm trying to find a video review showing a Limited with the hybrid, and do you need the 12" digital dash for the hybrid or can it work with the analog one?

Do they come with front and rear sway-bars without getting the TRD Pro ones?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Supposedly, its cheaper to make timing belts and the engine runs quieter.  However, I've never had a rattle from a chain unless the tensioner wore out.

What drives me up a wall is that companies will put timing belts on an INTERFERENCE engine.  The belt fails prematurely and bye bye valves.  I'd rather have a timing chain.

FWIW, I think the "drive belt" referenced in the specs is what we would call a fan belt.  I looked up the V35A-FTS engine, and this article said it uses three timing chains.

Quoted:

Kharn

My only complaint is that its hard to find around here in quantity.  I've only seen it for sale in quart jugs, not in gallons.  Only one parts place has it, but only a couple of quarts at a time.  Maybe if more engines are using it, more companies will start carrying it......
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Toyota engine would that be? I've heard from Toyota for the past three years they were taking the 3.5 from the Lexus, which makes sense because Toyota doesn't like to reinvent the wheel, and the 3.5l from Lexus is solid.

ETA - hell, even Wikipedia says the tundra is using the Lexus engine
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats Toyota for finally making something uglier than a fuckin Nissan Titan
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Supposedly, its cheaper to make timing belts and the engine runs quieter.  However, I've never had a rattle from a chain unless the tensioner wore out.

What drives me up a wall is that companies will put timing belts on an INTERFERENCE engine.  The belt fails prematurely and bye bye valves.  I'd rather have a timing chain.

FWIW, I think the "drive belt" referenced in the specs is what we would call a fan belt.  I looked up the V35A-FTS engine, and this article said it uses three timing chains.

My only complaint is that its hard to find around here in quantity.  I've only seen it for sale in quart jugs, not in gallons.  Only one parts place has it, but only a couple of quarts at a time.  Maybe if more engines are using it, more companies will start carrying it......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

GM 5.3L and 6.2L in the half-tons use 0W-20...
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn...that looks like shit on a witches dick. Hard pass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

0w20 isn't uncommon. My mom's 2017 Durango uses it, as do all the 2016+ Grand Cherokees/Durangos
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

The 4Runner and GX 460 use it as well.

The RAV4 uses 0W-16.

0W-8 is coming as Japan has been using it for several years now - Link
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Media embargo lifts tomorrow…
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Gave local dealer 500.00 deposit to order today...
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Media embargo lifts tomorrow…
View Quote

At 7am Eastern.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#32]
It looks like a low rider.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It looks like a low rider.
View Quote

¡esta mamalona chingon!

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the reviews shows the Tundra doublecab with a 1350lb payload sticker.

The highest capacity rated F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost has 2600+lbs payload.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#35]
wow,
that's kinda fucked up lookin'
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Toyota needs to beat the competition by a wide margin to stay competitive because we all know they won't change it again for 5-7 years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

I think that lineup is Platinum,  SR5, Limited from left to right.

The SR5 really shows what color matching the chrome surrounding the grill could do, I think it would fix a lot of the issues. Plastidip is only a brush away.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20211012-055427_YouTube_jpg-2126956.JPG

I think that lineup is Platinum,  SR5, Limited from left to right.

The SR5 really shows what color matching the chrome surrounding the grill could do, I think it would fix a lot of the issues. Plastidip is only a brush away.

Kharn
View Quote

The truck on the very left is completely different than the others. Different headlights, much larger grill, different hood, different fenders, etc
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Oh,  it's a '22 Platinum with a bunch of '21s.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#40]
22-23 mpg highway non hybrid

20 combined

18 city

14:09 in this video First Tow
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

20 combined

18 city

View Quote

That ~matches the F150 3.5EB.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

20 combined

18 city

View Quote

What a weird test to have been set up by Toyota themselves. Two different trailers, with one that had the part of the sticker with the weight mysteriously torn off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What a weird test to have been set up by Toyota themselves. Two different trailers, with one that had the part of the sticker with the weight mysteriously torn off.
View Quote

What difference does a sticker make.  Toyota could have stripped or added weight to each if they wanted to cheat.  Neither was weighted.  A week from now it won’t make a difference because every channel will have been able to run every test they can think of on the non hybrid. You’ll also get real world MPG.

As with any 1500, payload will be the limiting factor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 combined

18 city

3 things I took from that video...

- Toyota is shady and even TFL couldn't polish that turd of a test

- The micro airstream in the back up demo causes the Tundra to sag a lot

- The trailer back up feature is hokey and they had to cut the video before it steered the trailer into a parking cone

Without trailer...
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Ford front end is acres of grill with cheap looking headlights. Higher end trim models with lots of chrome just make it look worse.

Ram has the best front end currently, even in higher trim levels that have lots of chrome like this Laramie:

https://di-uploads-pod13.dealerinspire.com/connorschryslerdodgejeepram/uploads/2020/10/2021-RAM-1500-Laramie.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford has the least big, gaudiest front end. It is more refined and tastefully done, in my opinion of course.

http://images.trucknsale.com/pictures/141034831.jpg

The Ford front end is acres of grill with cheap looking headlights. Higher end trim models with lots of chrome just make it look worse.

Ram has the best front end currently, even in higher trim levels that have lots of chrome like this Laramie:

https://di-uploads-pod13.dealerinspire.com/connorschryslerdodgejeepram/uploads/2020/10/2021-RAM-1500-Laramie.jpg

It pains me to say it, but Dodge easily has the best looking modern trucks as they didn't go all tarded on the grill.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What difference does a sticker make.  Toyota could have stripped or added weight to each if they wanted to cheat.  Neither was weighted.  A week from now it won’t make a difference because every channel will have been able to run every test they can think of on the non hybrid. You’ll also get real world MPG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just seems odd for an official thing set up by Toyota themselves. Even if you disregard the sticker oddity, what possible reason could there be for Toyota to just not use two identical trailers? Why toss in more variables for no reason, if you’re trying to do a comparison?

But you’re right that in the long run, it won’t matter, because reviewers will most definitely figure out any shenanigans that may be at play. It was just really weird that it was set up by Toyota that way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

- The trailer back up feature is hokey and they had to cut the video before it steered the trailer into a parking cone

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/C5E1C417-1B4C-4A90-A99B-8C70274090D9-2127014.png

Without trailer...
https://cdn-motor1-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/02nwz/s3/2022-toyota-tundra-review.webp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 combined

18 city

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/C5E1C417-1B4C-4A90-A99B-8C70274090D9-2127014.png

Without trailer...
https://cdn-motor1-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/02nwz/s3/2022-toyota-tundra-review.webp

I looked it up.  That micro airstream has a tongue weight of about 410 lbs with full LP & batteries.

410 lbs is causing it to sag at least 3"?

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#48]
The only thing I've seen so far that I like is how you can check cameras watching the bed and rear whenever you want.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Eight foot bed available. Must be a few non-soccer moms around still who haul OTG (Other Than Groceries)!
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Eight foot bed available. Must be a few non-soccer moms around still who haul OTG (Other Than Groceries)!
View Quote

Shit man with 1300lbs of payload that's enough for a typical GD member and one piece of plywood, which is the bare minimum needed to qualify as a real truck™ around here.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top