Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That red, tan and black interior is awful.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a Tacoma on steroids.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a Tacoma on steroids synthol.
View Quote

Fixed it for you

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks like the payload hasn't changed much so you can kiss those tow ratings goodbye.

Max payload is 1,940 lbs, which would be on the lightest version they offer. So single cab, 2wd, bare bones options.

A typical max cab 4wd setup is going to add 600lbs or so. So I'd estimate the typical tundra will have a payload capacity of 1,300 lbs, maybe less.  Honda Ridgeline has 1,500 to 1,600

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/tundra/2022/
View Quote

No single cab Tundras.  They will all be double cabs or crew max models.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Can't argue with that.
I bought a 13 because I thought the 14+ front end was ugly.  
Now they doubled down on ugly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the payload hasn't changed much so you can kiss those tow ratings goodbye.

Max payload is 1,940 lbs, which would be on the lightest version they offer. So single cab, 2wd, bare bones options.

A typical max cab 4wd setup is going to add 600lbs or so. So I'd estimate the typical tundra will have a payload capacity of 1,300 lbs, maybe less.  Honda Ridgeline has 1,500 to 1,600

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/tundra/2022/

It looks like they are all Crewmax only.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess God does not want me to own a V8.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
LUL! There was an ad on the page for a Ram, and it looks almost identical!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I will keep my Studebaker pickup
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LUL! There was an ad on the page for a Ram, and it looks almost identical!
View Quote

Go see your eye doctor.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It looks like they are all Crewmax only.
View Quote

That may be true for some trims, but a crewmax with a 5.5 or 6.5 bed and a double cab with a 6.5 and 8.1 bed are listed. Doubles may only be in lower trims for now?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont care for it. That massive touchscreen is obnoxious.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my ‘14, and I’ve been waiting for the new one. I guess I gotta see one in person.

But maybe a CrewMax, with the 6.5’ bed and the hybrid in all black would do the trick. That panoramic roof would be nice, too.

And 35’s
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dont care for it. That massive touchscreen is obnoxious.
View Quote

I thought the 12" touch screen in the new F150 would be cool, until I sat in one, too much. I'm happy with my 8" thanks, though I will admit that nav would benefit from the larger screen (actually Ford's nav lay out is just shit.)

I just went an looked at the Toyota website, Red interior? Holy fuck! The giant TOYOTA on the dash is a bit much, maybe people forget what they drive and need to be reminded.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The Tundra was going to be my next truck.
Back to researching.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The giant TOYOTA on the dash is a bit much, maybe people forget what they drive and need to be reminded.
View Quote

Have you not noticed this trend of stamping names into the sheet metal instead a sticky badge?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]
A tour of the SR5:

The 2022 Toyota Tundra SR5 Work Truck Is More Interesting Than You Think — Here's Your First Look!

Pending specs and pricing, I don't hate it...
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I want so much for there to be a front bench option. There most likely will not.

ETA - as much as it's grown on me, I still think it's ugly, and I'll still probably get one, mpg pending.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Tundra was going to be my next truck.
Back to researching.
View Quote

Mine too, I actually  sold my 2019 tundra anticipating buying a 2022.After seeing the looks and the v6 option,  I bought a new Ram
I hate to say it, because I own 3 other toyota right now,  but the ram is better then my tundra was at everything.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I must be one of the few that think it looks really good. I'm heavily considering making it my next truck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a GMC/Chevy with Toyota badges.  

The tailgate is different though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the way their owner's manual describes the trucks...

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/2021-10-06_07_11_17-OM0C025U_pdf-2120154.png
View Quote

Basically a 3/4ton then?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Basically a 3/4ton then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167167/2021-10-06_07_11_17-OM0C025U_pdf-2120154.png

Basically a 3/4ton then?

Yeah man,  looks how beefy this frame and rear axle is!

Toyota is smarter than the others.  They build flex into their frames because they don't want them to be brittle.  FLEX = STRENGTH!!!

It'll tow a space shuttle!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Spring availability for the hybrid really sucks.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want so much for there to be a front bench option. There most likely will not.
View Quote

If it's anything like the previous generation, there WILL be an option for a front bench, but essentially ANY OTHER ITEM that you want on the truck will require a package that gets rid of the front bench.  Kind of like how, on their Sienna line up, if you want seat-position memory, you have to jump all the way to the platinum edition.  Toyota.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If it's anything like the previous generation, there WILL be an option for a front bench, but essentially ANY OTHER ITEM that you want on the truck will require a package that gets rid of the front bench.  Kind of like how, on their Sienna line up, if you want seat-position memory, you have to jump all the way to the platinum edition.  Toyota.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As of 2020, you could get a limited with a front bench. Whether or not any dealers inventoried any...

ETA - I may be misremembering
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/ToyotaTundraChassis.jpg/1280px-ToyotaTundraChassis.jpg

Toyota is smarter than the others.  They build flex into their frames because they don't want them to be brittle.  FLEX = STRENGTH!!!

https://tnstatic.net/attachments/upload_2020-6-23_16-40-12-gif.446859/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically a 3/4ton then?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/ToyotaTundraChassis.jpg/1280px-ToyotaTundraChassis.jpg

https://tnstatic.net/attachments/upload_2020-6-23_16-40-12-gif.446859/

CORGI TWERKING TO THE BUBBLE BUTT SONG "DWERKING"

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Kind of ugly but I don’t care.
View Quote

You really have to hand it to Toyota. People praise them for their reliability, but their most impressive feat is conditioning their buyers to purchase absolutely anything, even if they dislike the way it looks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You really have to hand it to Toyota. People praise them for their reliability, but their most impressive feat is conditioning their buyers to purchase absolutely anything, even if they dislike the way it looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

domestic guys "Oh, its great once you replace the cam phaser deal, and it only takes a few hours to tear it down."
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

domestic guys "Oh, its great once you replace the cam phaser deal, and it only takes a few hours to tear it down."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Chris Christie] "There it is..." [/Chris Christie]

Toyota snobs NEED to hold onto the perception that it's somehow better than the big3's truck, but that's a fairytale, it's not real, certainly not in the fullsize truck segment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Toyota snobs NEED to hold onto the perception that it's somehow better than the big3's truck, but that's a fairytale, it's not real, certainly not in the fullsize truck segment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to preface this by saying that I DD an F-150 and that I've never owned a Toyota product in my life...

That said, here's the uncomfortable truth:

You pretty much need an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of which Ford truck engines were good or bad in which year.

GM's half ton V8s have been garbage since the introduction of AFM in 2007, and the 8L45/8L90 transmissions are the worst transmissions sold in any truck for the last 20 years.

Chrysler's reputation for crap tier quality is well deserved. The new Rams are a massive improvement, but the Hemi lifter issues of the last decade don't build confidence.

Toyota isn't infallible, but their standards for quality and reliability beat the Big 3 by a clear and obvious margin.

The flip side is, Toyota's trucks have been failing hard on value and capability. The outgoing Tundra burns gas like a F-250 and has the payload capacity of a Honda Ridgeline. That's not an exaggeration. Toyota has been stupidly stubborn about including basic things like diff locks, too.

I'm approaching the new Tundra with a clear mind. We know it has a modern drivetrain, we know they're finally adding lockers, we know they've modernized the rear suspension, and there are other encouraging details. I'm just waiting for the specs...
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm going to preface this by saying that I DD an F-150 and that I've never owned a Toyota product in my life...

You pretty much need an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of which Ford truck engines were good or bad in which year.

GM's half ton V8s have been garbage since the introduction of AFM in 2007, and the 8L45/8L90 transmissions are the worst transmissions sold in any truck for the last 20 years.

Chrysler's reputation for crap tier quality is well deserved. The new Rams are a massive improvement, but the Hemi lifter issues of the last decade don't build confidence.

Toyota isn't infallible, but their standards for quality and reliability beat the Big 3 by a clear and obvious margin.

The flip side is, Toyota's trucks have been failing hard on value and capability. The outgoing Tundra burns gas like a F-250 and has the payload capacity of a Honda Ridgeline. That's not an exaggeration. Toyota has been stupidly stubborn about including basic things like diff locks, too.

I'm approaching the new Tundra with a clear mind. We know it has a modern drivetrain, we know they're finally adding lockers, we know they've modernized the rear suspension, and there are other encouraging details. I'm just waiting for the specs...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add lockers, delete recovery points.
Add a computer monitor sized center display, add dopey lower fender/bedside extensions (they appear to be part of the panels rather then detachable) that will go crunch if you dare take the truck offroad.
Fail to deliver an offroad focused halo model (like Raptor and TRX), add moar PRO badges.

ETA: I don't know who at what design studio decided the gaping maw was going to be the design language for the front of vehicles, but they need to be found and retasked with designing trash cans or porta potties. It isn't just Lexus/Toyota, BMW and others are also doing it. I get that some of the design language has to do with safety standards but would it kill any of them to make the center part of the grille a strip of body colored plastic instead of black/chrome? Shit looks wack.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That looks worst than the BMW grille
View Quote

That's the nicest thing I've heard anyone say about the M4 since it rolled out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Lexus GX has the predator grille.

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/Y2Wb6P3f3XkeX4c/preview
View Quote

Had a new GX parked across from us at the grocers a few days ago (California plates....shocked, shocked I tell you!). For all the "it looks much better in real life than in pictures" you hear for a variety of cars, the Lexus...doesn't.

It's very plastic in appearance, and looks a lot like what you expect to see on designer luggage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy gets it.

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Ram fan here, Raptor looks better. But to get a Raptor to perform like a TRX the Raptor feels like crap. The Raptor does not compete with V8 Supercharged seat of the pants.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I like it.  If I had a need for a full size truck I'd seriously consider it.

Oh man, you're right.  The Tundra is WAY better looking than the Ram.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess God does not want me to own a V8.

View Quote

TRX or RAM is the only way nowadays. You can get V8's in 3/4 tons. Depending on how much you drive, you probably should just get the deisel at that point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Add a computer monitor sized center display, add dopey lower fender/bedside extensions (they appear to be part of the panels rather then detachable) that will go crunch if you dare take the truck offroad.
Fail to deliver an offroad focused halo model (like Raptor and TRX), add moar PRO badges.

ETA: I don't know who at what design studio decided the gaping maw was going to be the design language for the front of vehicles, but they need to be found and retasked with designing trash cans or porta potties. It isn't just Lexus/Toyota, BMW and others are also doing it. I get that some of the design language has to do with safety standards but would it kill any of them to make the center part of the grille a strip of body colored plastic instead of black/chrome? Shit looks wack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're overstating the importance of that one.

The Rebel/Trail Boss trims are great sellers with STRONG demand. The Raptor and TRX are very niche products. With it looking like GM might test the waters with a Silverado ZR2, market saturation becomes a major concern. I simply do not think there are that many people looking to spend $75k-$100k on a half ton trophy truck wannabe that can't tow or haul anything.

As long as Toyota takes a shot at the Rebel/Trail Boss/Tremor trims, I think they can skip the Raptor/TRX stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3.5l v6 tt in the new tundra has already been around for about 10 years with Lexus... haven't heard them whining about engine issues.

ETA: and what is a full size these days? 87% of GD would argue it's definitely not a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton? 1 ton?

Like the poster above who said he's approaching the new Tundra with an open mind, but waiting for specs - I'm in the same boat. If the payload is there and the mpg is there, I'll probably pull the trigger, otherwise, I'll continue weighing my options.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, I had to replace the timing chain on my 4Runner earlier this year. I wish it only took a few hours. Book time was 10.70. Only time I've ever had to do a timing chain on any modern vehicle I've owned. PO016, common problem, all over the internet. Next time I'll stick to domestics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Eh, I had to replace the timing chain on my 4Runner earlier this year. I wish it only took a few hours. Book time was 10.70. Only time I've ever had to do a timing chain on any modern vehicle I've owned. PO016, common problem, all over the internet. Next time I'll stick to domestics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on my second problem-free 4Runner; timing chain has to be replaced on any modern vehicle between 90 and 120k miles. You think buying a domestic you'll avoid having to do preventative maintenance? Sure, people skip it and some get lucky. Others don't.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#46]
That poor thing has a prolapsed colon, umm sorry prolapsed Grille!

Fitting it should have a TuRD logo on the bed.

I really want to like Toyota full size trucks but geez
In fact I kind of think all the full size trucks have gotten out of hand. And the mid size trucks seem to just be shrunken full size designs.
If the midsize ones were possibly designed to appropriate scale they would be pretty decen. Maybe we need a medium+size that resembles the size of old full size trucks?
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No SR5 interior pics?
View Quote

Everything they've released has been on the higher end trims.  However, I did find a YouTube video of the SR5.  It was similar to what we have seen from the other trims, maybe more plain, though.  No wireless charger and some of the switches were dummies.  It still had a center console, though.

Also, the SR will only come in a double cab.  To get the crew max, you have to move up to an SR5.  The video of the SR5 had a 6'2" guy getting in the double cab, and he was cramped.  Airline economy cramped.  It would be only good for kids under 10.

Quoted:
Also, can you get it 6 passenger and a column shifter? Serious.
View Quote

I wish!  It seems like everyone is abandoning the shifter on the column and going to center consoles.  I run radio equipment in my vehicles, so the lack of a center console is a big plus to me.  

Quoted:
I'll consider it in 2023 when looking for my next truck.  Interested in the fuel economy numbers and pricing to compare to what I currently have in mind.
View Quote

I've heard rumblings that the average MPG with the twin turbo is around 22mpg.  This was figured out by using a foreign sales only vehicle with comparable weight and the same engine.  And before some arfcommer takes exception, its a SWAG!  I've also heard pricing for the SR would be around $35K and the SR5 maybe $37K.  Again, those are best guesses.

I don't mind the looks of the new Tundra.  Its back on the list of trucks to buy in a couple of years when I'm ready to buy.  To be honest, i'm looking more for reliability than looks, and Toyota gives you reliability.  At my age and now working from home, the next vehicle I buy for myself may be the last vehicle I buy.  Reliability is a bigger consideration than looks.

I will admit that some of the available interiors look like they were decorated in "cheap New Orleans whorehouse" style.  I wonder if you get a pair of fuzzy dice with the red interior?  I would go for gray or black.

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#48]
This is a long watch, but there's some good stuff in here:

Here's EVERYTHING You Want To Know About the New 2022 Toyota Tundra From The Chief Engineer!

It's goofy the way he talked about coming to the conclusion of adopting a twin turbo V6 as if the F-150 hasn't had that for 11 years now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Rebel/Trail Boss trims are great sellers with STRONG demand. The Raptor and TRX are very niche products. With it looking like GM might test the waters with a Silverado ZR2, market saturation becomes a major concern. I simply do not think there are that many people looking to spend $75k-$100k on a half ton trophy truck wannabe that can't tow or haul anything.

As long as Toyota takes a shot at the Rebel/Trail Boss/Tremor trims, I think they can skip the Raptor/TRX stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raptors and TRXes are exceedingly popular trucks around here. They don’t stay on dealer lots for very long even with “market adjusted” prices.

You can’t swing a dead cat around here without hitting a lifted 4x4 truck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've heard rumblings that the average MPG with the twin turbo is around 22mpg.  This was figured out by using a foreign sales only vehicle with comparable weight and the same engine.  And before some arfcommer takes exception, its a SWAG!  I've also heard pricing for the SR would be around $35K and the SR5 maybe $37K.  Again, those are best guesses.

I don't mind the looks of the new Tundra.  Its back on the list of trucks to buy in a couple of years when I'm ready to buy.  To be honest, i'm looking more for reliability than looks, and Toyota gives you reliability.  At my age and now working from home, the next vehicle I buy for myself may be the last vehicle I buy.  Reliability is a bigger consideration than looks.

I will admit that some of the available interiors look like they were decorated in "cheap New Orleans whorehouse" style.  I wonder if you get a pair of fuzzy dice with the red interior?  I would go for gray or black.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll consider it in 2023 when looking for my next truck.  Interested in the fuel economy numbers and pricing to compare to what I currently have in mind.

That's probably a good combined MPG number for the hybrid. The F-150 PowerBoost seems to be pretty close to that real world.

That's overly optimistic for the standard 3.5 turbo, assuming we're talking 4x4. For the size and power of this truck, looking at its peers, I'd think 18 MPG combined is about the most we should hope for.
Page / 9
Top Top