BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, I'm looking at a Stihl MS362C and a MS391, leaning towards the 362C.

What says the hive mind?
View Quote

Instead of the 391, compare the 362 lbs to hp to the 261. I was in the same boat a while back and went with a 261 instead for the money, with a 20 in bar and yellow chain.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been a Husky user since  the 80's. No reason to change. Jonsered and Stihl are also good saws.

My Dad's old 460 professional was my favorite back in the day. Not the same as the little 460 Rancher of today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?
View Quote

If you're looking to use an 18-20" bar, I'd go with the 261C personally. Definitely get a pro saw whatever you do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you're looking to use an 18-20" bar, I'd go with the 261C personally. Definitely get a pro saw whatever you do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?

May buy a 25" bar at some point as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?

I have a 261 and always thought a 25” would be way too much for it.  How do they do with that long ass bar?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't give a fuck about your semantics....and even less about your opinion of manhood based on using a 14lb powerhead all day for a role where it's too much saw. I was clearly, in plain english, stating "what I used a saw for"...which was often reaching above my head to prune or dismantle tops. If you think a 500i is a good saw to have over your head for 8 hours, you're an accident waiting to happen, or you're a world class athlete. I'm neither, I'm a normal fit man who learned a very hard lesson about fatigue and saws.
View Quote

Not yet you haven't
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a 261 and always thought a 25” would be way too much for it.  How do they do with that long ass bar?
View Quote

Stihl only recommends 16" - 20" so agree 25" might be a stretch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That sucks, could have used a wedge to hammer it open? I haven't pinched one since I realized I didn't know enough, so I spent a couple weeks, every night, watch a couple youtube saw technique videos. Even wranglerstar has some good info between the hyped up drama. I even tried the trick where you wedge the log and it raises it right off the ground so the saw doesn't hit dirt, yay physics. Or the trick where it starts to close up, so you start a bottom cut straight up just an inch or so over from the log that will fall and boom, clean cut and no saw in the ground or pinched.
View Quote

Quoted:
Sorry to hear that. In the future, if you wedge a saw it's a good idea to remove the power head from the bar so you don't wipe out the entire assembly. Worst case you're just out a bar and chain. Hope you get everything sorted out.

Even the most experienced sawyers can get stuck.
View Quote

I should have thought about that.  I was more worried about what was above me at the time than my accurate cuts to avoid being pinched and I was sleep deprived but I'm sure I will pinch another one, but I will putt the power unit off lol.  I actually bought a new echo that night and my brother recovered the scuba saw the next day, i tore into it and got it running the night it was recovered.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been a Husky user since  the 80's. No reason to change. Jonsered and Stihl are also good saws.

View Quote

My brother has been running Husky's professionally for years as well.  Not sure if they still do but one one point Husky had a much better warranty than Stihl.  I went with Stihl because they have such an awesome resale value you won't lose much if you want something a little bigger.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to run a 24” bar even occasionally, at a minimum I’d be looking at a 562xp, and if you preferred a stihl it would be a 362.  

As a side note, wonder when stihl is going to figure out a decent air filtration system on a saw. I remember my 460 you had to clean that fucker out by lunch time, and you could start a fire with all the shavings The husky’s would go a week.

ETA:  Also the stihl ‘25”’ bar is really a 24” bar FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

First, it's a guide bar or bar, not a blade.  Chainsaws do not have blades.

Second, the 500i has obviously never been in your hands if you consider it a boat anchor.  Or your a 12 year old kid....or maybe a woman.

A healthy adult male 18-70 should be able to put in an 8 hour day cutting with a 500i no problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's way too much saw for 95% of what I used a saw for.

Sure, be great for felling the big stuff, and then it's a fucking boat anchor.

My favorite saw was an Efco 51cc arborist saw with an 18" blade. That thing was so light for its power, and absolutely ripped when you needed it to, but light and handy enough to use for tops and trimming. Emak motors are the shizzle.

First, it's a guide bar or bar, not a blade.  Chainsaws do not have blades.

Second, the 500i has obviously never been in your hands if you consider it a boat anchor.  Or your a 12 year old kid....or maybe a woman.

A healthy adult male 18-70 should be able to put in an 8 hour day cutting with a 500i no problem.

I bought the little homeowner saw after a tornado hit my place a few years ago. I was spending a lot of time with my 036pro in one hand trimming over my head for 12-15 hours a day. I got careless and as the saw swung through it missed my leg by maybe an inch? Got the little saw the next day and used it for everything under 10”. ZFG if that diminishes my “manliness” in anybody’s opinion. I have 3 gas and 1 electric. I use whichever one suits the job the best. Stuck with one saw, it would be a 261 or 361, but I would take a lot more time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?
View Quote

362 all day....the 391 is overweight.
I would take a 362 over a 391 all day....the 391 is underpowered for it's weight.

My 362cm has been a great saw, will cut like crazy with a 20" bar and pull a 25" when needed.  The 25" is the biggest Stihl recommends and you can tell it's pushing the saw....I wouldn't run that combination all day but for the occasional big tree it would be fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?
View Quote

@charliedontsurf

362 is a "professional" series saw.  

They tend to have less issues from my experience, and a better power to weight ratio.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?

A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my saw selection. I was torn between buying a 362 and just keeping on hand a short bar (18" or 20") and a longer bar (25"), or buying a 261 and then later a 462 (they weren't out yet at the time) for pulling a longer bar. In the end I decided to go with the two saw plan as I knew the 261 would be enough for the vast majority of my needs and I liked the idea of having something a little lighter and handier. I bought the 261, but have yet to buy the larger saw. Why? Just really haven't felt the need.

I do have an old Echo 702EVL with 25" bar if I ever really need it, but I frequently go many years between instances of pulling that thing out.

You can get through some big stuff with an 18" or 20" bar and a saw like a 261. It's not like you cut straight down at the same angle the whole way through the cut. I've been cutting firewood my whole life, and it's been extremely rare where I can't get by with a 20" bar. There have been cases where a longer bar would save time, but those cases aren't really that common. But that's me, I don't know what you're cutting.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
500i is way outside of my budget, I'm only looking to pull an 18" & 20" blade.

The fuel injection is cool on the 500i, but a little leery on the cost of repair if the EFI craps out.

My main concern is chopping already fallen trees and larger limbs for firewood at camp.
View Quote

I run a 20 or 24 on my MS 362.
It's a workhorse and I've never had buyers remorse, it runs!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no trees on my property and my fireplace burns gas.

I still want one just like that OP.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I hear y'all on all the points, and had already just about made up my mind on going with the 362C, just wanted to reaffirm my choice.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
261cm is my jack of all trades saw. I want something smaller for limbs and stuff and was thinking of a 170 but I may end up with a Milwaukee since I've just jumped into that ecosystem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
261cm is my jack of all trades saw. I want something smaller for limbs and stuff and was thinking of a 170 but I may end up with a Milwaukee since I've just jumped into that ecosystem.
View Quote

I thought of buying a Stihl top handle but they reviews weren't great and they only make them in Pro saws so they are not cheap at all.  I used a friend's a couple years ago and they are handy as hell.

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/corporate/press/dec3_ms201tcm/
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I bought the little homeowner saw after a tornado hit my place a few years ago. I was spending a lot of time with my 036pro in one hand trimming over my head for 12-15 hours a day. I got careless and as the saw swung through it missed my leg by maybe an inch? Got the little saw the next day and used it for everything under 10". ZFG if that diminishes my "manliness" in anybody's opinion. I have 3 gas and 1 electric. I use whichever one suits the job the best. Stuck with one saw, it would be a 261 or 361, but I would take a lot more time.
View Quote

I have a gash on my leg and sat through a painful scrub & surgery because I didn't miss the leg (I fell, slipped on a branch I was standing on and I was exhausted from having the saw above my head for so long). Too much saw, not respecting the weight or my fatigue, and not wearing chaps.

I wear chaps now, I use the right saw for the right job, and I quit when I'm tired. Manliness, and my balls, are intact. Fuck the chest thumpers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would take a 362 over a 391 all day....the 391 is underpowered for it's weight.

My 362cm has been a great saw, will cut like crazy with a 20" bar and pull a 25" when needed.  The 25" is the biggest Stihl recommends and you can tell it's pushing the saw....I wouldn't run that combination all day but for the occasional big tree it would be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?

All I run on my MS362CM is a 25" bar.  I don't need it more than occasionally but it doesn't bog it down much, so it's just not worth changing out to the 20" bar.  As soon as the 2 year warranty ran out however, I immediately ported it.  It screams like a raped ape now.  

I'll *probably* need the 25" bar for the big White Oak that came down a couple weeks ago:

That's my MS180 with it's 16" bar in the center of the pic.  I was using it to limb the tree just enough to clear our driveway.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice. I have both of those too! With an original hard case for the Homelite too! It's great for containing the leaking oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52425/0916211226_jpg-2092816.JPG
Forgot about my dad's old Homelite. He broke the rope, not too bad to fix. I cleaned it up and now it floods like a bitch.

Nice. I have both of those too! With an original hard case for the Homelite too! It's great for containing the leaking oil.

Attachment Attached File

Ha! @deputyrpa
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Have one of those that I've finally managed to break in trying to clean up after Ida but I've only used it about 30% vs 10% for my MS200T and 60% or more for my 346XP. Great saw just bigger than needed for all but the big trunks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm absolutely sure they can, but just not by me.

The problem I've always had with small gas lawn stuff is that if you're not using it on a weekly basis, when you go to use it, it doesn't work.
But I realize there are people that are much better at keeping them running than me.

So far, I'm surprised every time I push the button on my Bobcat and it starts!
View Quote

If you're not going to use it for a while, you run it out of gas.  Remove cover, chain, and bar, blow all the crap out with compressed air.  Or if you're a masochist, use a scraper, pick, and a paintbrush.   Reassemble.  Sharpen chain and file rakers if necessary.  Put it up.  Good to go.  And use fresh gas.  Non-ethanol.  Run a couple gallons into your vehicle before you fill your cans.  Do that, and it'll start every time.  You can do it, man.  It's not rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All I run on my MS362CM is a 25" bar.  I don't need it more than occasionally but it doesn't bog it down much, so it's just not worth changing out to the 20" bar.  As soon as the 2 year warranty ran out however, I immediately ported it.  It screams like a raped ape now.  

I'll *probably* need the 25" bar for the big White Oak that came down a couple weeks ago:

https://i.imgur.com/Txxg3tv.jpg

That's my MS180 with it's 16" bar in the center of the pic.  I was using it to limb the tree just enough to clear our driveway.

View Quote

That is an ugly situation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I thought of buying a Stihl top handle but they reviews weren't great and they only make them in Pro saws so they are not cheap at all.  I used a friend's a couple years ago and they are handy as hell.

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/corporate/press/dec3_ms201tcm/
View Quote

I have a 194T with a 16” bar that I use for maintaining our mountain bike trails. I needed a nice light saw I could push through something bigger if I’m patient. It runs great the only thing I’m not a fan of is the single stud for the bar. I very rarely grab any of my bigger saws to put in my backpack anymore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Txxg3tv.jpg

Could have been a lot worse:  Fall directly across the road (instead of along it)  - while someone was driving on it.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Could have been a lot worse:  Fell across the road  - while someone was driving on it.  

https://i.imgur.com/Wq8kufR.jpg
View Quote

That's a good size tree....I'm sure the 362 will take care of it.

I took down 2 red oaks last year with mine with the 25" bar....it was barely able to reach the middle cutting from both sides.  I have about 10 more that size that need to come down this year, which is why I bought the 500i and a longer bar.  Not sure what is killing them, they're rotting from the roots up.  This timber ground hasn't been touched in the 100+ years that my family has owned it, so I guess they could just be at the end of their life.  I'm dropping any of them I have visible signs of rot, while the wood at the bottom is still good enough to safely drop them.  Regardless I'm getting good firewood from them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been paying too much attention to this thread, I had nightmares last night about trees falling on my truck
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've been paying too much attention to this thread, I had nightmares last night about trees falling on my truck
View Quote

The only solution is obviously to buy a new chainsaw and start cutting down trees that might reach your truck
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a 194T with a 16” bar that I use for maintaining our mountain bike trails. I needed a nice light saw I could push through something bigger if I’m patient. It runs great the only thing I’m not a fan of is the single stud for the bar. I very rarely grab any of my bigger saws to put in my backpack anymore.
View Quote

Many of the reviews said the older models such as the 194 were GTG but the 201 C-M was just a turd.  Paying $600 for a mini underpowered saw is a tough pill to swallow as it is, no matter how handy they are.  The damn thing better start right up every time with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Love the easy start on my 251, only thing I don’t like is the tool free chain change thing which walks out of tautness sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Just realized I lied.
Mine is a MS361 not a 362.

I should get it slightly modified
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thankfully I don't have to do that part of the job often. I pretty much just fell and buck trees and run equipment. This thing is pretty much the best of both worlds between what I used to use, which was a 440 and a 650.

I'm only part time help at this point for my dad's company. My full time gig is a rope access technician.
View Quote
Hey jbecker you wanna swing down to Richmond and fell afew

as far as the saw debate, I'd go with the Stihl 036pro, but I do love my 044 and 026
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Many of the reviews said the older models such as the 194 were GTG but the 201 C-M was just a turd.  Paying $600 for a mini underpowered saw is a tough pill to swallow as it is, no matter how handy they are.  The damn thing better start right up every time with no issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grab an echo2511t and don't look back!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
346xp heavy 16” bar and rs chain for me. I’d trade it for a 500i though ha
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, you're gonna hafta do work to get the 461 + 28" Light Bar out of my hands. I haven't yet tried the 500 though, but the old and reliable 461 is just near impossible to beat, IMHO.

ETA: Oh and once you go full-wrap, you never go back.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP, you're gonna hafta do work to get the 461 + 28" Light Bar out of my hands. I haven't yet tried the 500 though, but the old and reliable 461 is just near impossible to beat, IMHO.

https://i.imgur.com/7GxuOfV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aVW9WjF.jpg
View Quote

Do you have a saw detail service that washes and waxes for pics ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What says the hive mind?
View Quote

The 362 is a pro model saw, the 391 is the home owner saw.

The pro saw gets you upgrades like the magnesium case and a few other beef'ed up options on the saw. There is no comparison to the home owner versions.

My 362RCM will pull a 24" (stihl calls it a 25") bar with RS chain all day long. And has on several occasions cutting oak and maple logs in the 2-3' size. I normally leave the 20" bar with an RS chain on it; makes for quick and handy all around saw, but I have a Stihl 25" ES lightweight bar with both RS and half skip chains as well.

If you get a 362 saw, turn the oiler up to max level before you ever use it with a bar over 20".

Oil is cheap, chains and bars are not. The only complaint I have with the 362 is the oiler is a little undersized if you run it on the big bars with RS chain. There are some tricks out there for swapping out an oil pump from the 462, but I have found as long as its turned up to max level, its fine pulling the 24" bar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My saws haven't looked that good since the day I brought them home....I keep them clean but not that clean
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Tell me of this "porting" ye speak of please...
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My saws haven't looked that good since the day I brought them home....I keep them clean but not that clean
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, I keeps my shits ultra-clean bros. These puppies ain't cheap. Truth be told, I absolutely waxed the powerheads before breaking them in. I'm a yacht detailer by trade so them habits totally die hard.

The 362 has seen multiple hurricane cleanups; the 461 and 201 have seen two or three.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol, I keeps my shits ultra-clean bros. These puppies ain't cheap. Truth be told, I absolutely waxed the powerheads before breaking them in. I'm a yacht detailer by trade so them habits totally die hard.

The 362 has seen multiple hurricane cleanups; the 461 and 201 have seen two or three.
View Quote

Shit...I feel like mine are mistreated now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit that's impressive.  Mine ride around in the tool box 90% of the time.  100% functional but I must confess never that clean since new.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It would be this. Stihl MS500i with a 28" bar.  Fuel injection is amazing, and this saw rips.

https://i.postimg.cc/KcLhjFML/82807-C1-B-EDE8-4-A08-BA23-83-F0-C64-D7-D54.jpg
View Quote
Good choice OP. Still not sure about the FI but I love my 462.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#49]
That's a great looking saw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I like my ms170. I don't need bigger it gets the job done.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top