BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm no firearms expert by any stretch, but when i first examined the bolt mechanism on mine. I thought it was brilliant.

Locks tight in battery on multiple lugs and when the exhaust gasses presurize the bolt like a piston, the stroke is just  long enough to pogo the bolt back to scrape in another round on the way to battery.

Often wondered if Stoner invented that or did he borrow it?

The only thing mechanical i recall that works that way are the explosive lifts for car stunts in films. Those use cylinders of steel pipe (loaded with explosives). When they are set off, a chunk of telephone pole is driven down and the car gets airborne.
View Quote

Melvin Johnson was working for Armalite at the time too, so... I'm guessing that was direct design input.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's rare and it PROBABLY won't happen to you. Would you rack yours in your bedroom with no hearing protection? I don't. Hence the one in my bedroom closet has a loaded magazine and no round in the chamber. If I face an intruder I'll rack the AR at that point, but it also means I'll reach for my fully loaded pistol first--it's ready to go.

Anyway I'm not claiming it's a huge liability, but to me it is the biggest issue with the platform because it's the only issue that limits what I will routinely do with the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjKL_76e4k
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've not seen an AR slam fire either.

It's rare and it PROBABLY won't happen to you. Would you rack yours in your bedroom with no hearing protection? I don't. Hence the one in my bedroom closet has a loaded magazine and no round in the chamber. If I face an intruder I'll rack the AR at that point, but it also means I'll reach for my fully loaded pistol first--it's ready to go.

Anyway I'm not claiming it's a huge liability, but to me it is the biggest issue with the platform because it's the only issue that limits what I will routinely do with the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjKL_76e4k

I would chamber an AR following the 4 safety rules anywhere without hearing protection on.

One round popped off from a 16" gun indoors isn't going to kill your ears either.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Spelling
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it the fact that it is a direct impingement system that blows unburned power and crud back into the receiver or is it something else?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I figured him for a troll ever since his 4chan thread a while back. Maybe a month ago?

here it is - https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Arfcom-doesn-t-like-4chan-why-/5-2468236/
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Susie Soccer Mom
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:30:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At least OP didn't say "it s**ts where it eats."
View Quote
I am so tired of hearing that.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:33:11 AM EDT
[#8]
It is the perfect battle rifle. The M-16/M-4 family of rifles is already the longest serving design in US history. Since its invention no other rifle has proven more adaptable, more versatile, and more of an influence in design than the Black Rifle. Its influence will endure long beyond our children's lifetimes. I don't foresee its replacement on battle rifle design until replaced with an energy weapon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The charging handle.
View Quote

The JP side charging system is the best improvement ever.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would chamber an AR following the 4 safety rules anywhere without hearing protection on.

One round popped off from a 16" gun indoors isn't going to kill your ears either.
View Quote

Fair enough. My ears might survive, but I'm pretty sure if I put a hole in the bedroom floor, and the kitchen floor beneath it, and maybe though the stove or the fridge, that my marriage will not survive. So, I'll let the AR sit with an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
The user.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh Jesus Christ have we gone back to the “it shits where it eats” meme
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
"Achilles" heal of the AR rifle?

Joe Biden
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A single 300 BO in a 5.56 mag
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A single 300 BO in a 5.56 mag
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/win_jpg-2032836.JPG

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Firing pin blocks are simply another potential failure point.
View Quote

The M27/HK416 has a firing pin block. It's an AR pattern rifle but adapted in a bunch of ways to modernize it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+stock

Careful if you need to butt stroke a commie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But the tiny distance we are talking about is much smaller than dropping a ball this is a spring recoil driven machine the spring compression is the force that propels the bolt.
The spring has less compression force when its pulled to a half way point such as when the bolt is locked at the bolt catch but still has enough force to chamber a round properly.
The sling shotted method I told you pull the bolt from a forward most position all the way back as far as the buffer tube buffer and spring allows and the buffer spring propels the bolt forward at high velocity albeit slower than firing the gun but still faster than releasing the bolt from halfway spring compression point like bolt catch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK I re-read this and I what I thought you were going to say you actually said. That is not how Physics works. Dropping a ball from height X and throwing a ball to height X will produce the same velocity when either hits the ground. Replace ball with BCG and gravitational force with the buffer spring force.

But the tiny distance we are talking about is much smaller than dropping a ball this is a spring recoil driven machine the spring compression is the force that propels the bolt.
The spring has less compression force when its pulled to a half way point such as when the bolt is locked at the bolt catch but still has enough force to chamber a round properly.
The sling shotted method I told you pull the bolt from a forward most position all the way back as far as the buffer tube buffer and spring allows and the buffer spring propels the bolt forward at high velocity albeit slower than firing the gun but still faster than releasing the bolt from halfway spring compression point like bolt catch.

Holy shit dude. Stop drinking and get a fucking clue.
Or stop trolling.
Either way, just fucking stop!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Direct impingement is the best part.

My experience with junky AR15s goes wayyy back. Much of it was magazines(followers), like brand new out of wrap GI mags with black followers just didn't work. After that is was just cheap shit parts breaking, usually hammer/trigger pins, Bolts when shooting that Norinco stuff

The magazine problems are gone, I got bent cracked GI mag held together with tape that work fine after putting magpul follower in it. These days, budget LPKs will go out, but at least they don't arrive rusty

To answer your question, i would have to say.....it craps out with cheap shit parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or stop trolling.
View Quote

I think he's trolling or maybe a teenager, but if he's not, I'd suggest OP needs to take several classes with the terrible direct impingement system and report back how awful it performs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#21]
What breaks the most on high round count mil guns?

Gas tubes?
Bolts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Gas tubes?
Bolts?
View Quote

Based on everything I've read, bolts and barrels are replaced every 10,000 rounds. Gas tubes are rarely replaced IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Gas tubes?
Bolts?
View Quote
Depends on the grunt. Did he ever lube it? Did he use it to pry things open? Did he throw it over a wall before climbing over it himself? Or maybe he kept mag dumping in full auto?

Besides the end user going full autist on his gear, the mil is way more hardcore with their rifles than any civilian will ever be.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think he's trolling or maybe a teenager, but if he's not, I'd suggest OP needs to take several classes with the terrible direct impingement system and report back how awful it performs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or stop trolling.

He'll just "slam fire" the first round he chambers into his foot, or someone else.
He should probably step back from the firearms.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Beavis and Butthead!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#26]
The mil spec charging handle isn't ideal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I don't know, but that Stoner on the left has a Kalashnikov to protect his stash, and the other one is Henry Gibson, an Illinois Nazi.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I promise you, those stocks are more than capeable of cracking a skull or three before breaking. The plastic used is seriously hard shit, and is thick. With that said, if you're buttstroking someone, either your situational awareness sucks or your ran out of ammo.

The biggest heel that I've seen is the operator. They take it apart and put it together wrong, never bother to clean it correctly, or just flat out abuse it. I had an M4A1 come in recently that the guy said would need manual cycling after every shot. I found the unit armorer took off and reinstalled the gas tube upside down. No idea how he manged to do it, and yet he did.
View Quote

I beat an exterior doorknob in a steel door off with one. No apparent damage. Plain m4gery stock on a generic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The mil spec charging handle isn't ideal.
View Quote

There are a few upgrades that are nice, I'll add the A5 Buffer system.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#30]
It is absolutely the magazine.  It was designed to be disposable, meaning it is too thin for maximum durability.

I've seen many aluminum mag-related malfunctions but very very few other malfunctions.  Thank God for Magpul for delivering us from GI mags.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fair enough. My ears might survive, but I'm pretty sure if I put a hole in the bedroom floor, and the kitchen floor beneath it, and maybe though the stove or the fridge, that my marriage will not survive. So, I'll let the AR sit with an empty chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with a  193 you won't.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is absolutely the magazine.  It was designed to be disposable, meaning it is too thin for maximum durability.

I've seen many aluminum mag-related malfunctions but very very few other malfunctions.  Thank God for Magpul for delivering us from GI mags.
View Quote
I've never ever had any issues with USGI mags. Even old beat to shit military 2nd hand mags.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:36:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I forget the reason why Stoner went away from his original AR10 location of the handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate the charging handle and the location of the charging handle that aims gas right into your face.

Minor complaint really
I forget the reason why Stoner went away from his original AR10 location of the handle.

I read once that it tended to get hot, being so close to the chamber.

Seems like it was in the same place as an M1 or M14 charging handle, but whatever.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Set screw gas blocks
Dimple or not, dumbest avoidable issue connected to an essential component. A close second would probably be bolt lugs in hard running rifles
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK I re-read this and I what I thought you were going to say you actually said. That is not how Physics works. Dropping a ball from height X and throwing a ball to height X will produce the same velocity when either hits the ground. Replace ball with BCG and gravitational force with the buffer spring force.

I'm not sure how much more clearly this can be stated, but you're wrong. The bolt velocity returning to battery during the firing cycle is at least as great as when you slingshot it manually.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Set screw gas blocks
Dimple or not, dumbest avoidable issue connected to an essential component. A close second would probably be bolt lugs in hard running rifles
View Quote

Dimpled with the proper Loctite, Loctite 243, it isn't going anywhere. Even the military does this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The user.
View Quote
This is probably the correct answer. There are some people that can't leave well enough alone. Some people that cheap out on parts. Some people that cannot maintain their gear to any degree. Some people that never checked headspace on that random bolt. Some people that under lube. Some people that would rather grind away on a mil-spec trigger instead of buying a quality one. Some people that don't realize they loaded 300 black out in their 5.56 mag. Some people that only shoot Tula in a properly gassed gun or trust gun show reloads. Even some people that make proprietary modifications to the cycle system like a piston conversion that puts the wrong kind of force on the BCG.

Then there are the crayon eaters that can break anything with nothing but how stupid they are.

A properly built AR is a beautiful thing. But when someone bubba-fucks with it, anything can go wrong. Same with any other rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've never ever had any issues with USGI mags. Even old beat to shit military 2nd hand mags.
View Quote
Agreed, magazine is weakest link. Quality mags in good condition is a must have.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Agreed, magazine is weakest link. Quality mags in good condition is a must have.

View Quote
Isn't that the same with any mag or clip fed firearm?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
None. It's perfect.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dimpled with the proper Loctite, Loctite 243, it isn't going anywhere. Even the military does this.
View Quote

Just gonna let this one marinate for a bit so someone can respond
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember someone at Knights Armament saying the best thing you could do for the AR would be to redesign the magazine and lower for a consistently curved mag body, but that would never happen since it would mean trashing all the existing mags.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That along with torquing the screws to 25-inch pounds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#44]
There's a good reason it's been around so long.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Buffer spring retainer doohickey.

If that little thing allows the buffer to get past it, it jams the entire gun.  You can't move the BCG or sit the receivers without taking off the stock and buffer tube.

Yes Ive had it happen and it's a royal pain in the ass
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Gunshop counter fudd thread.

“tHe buFFeR tuBe iS wEaK”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Knurled tip set screws help as well, most decent gas blocks come with them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Lol

To quote an earlier post...

Quoted:

The biggest heel that I've seen is the operator. They take it apart and put it together wrong, never bother to clean it correctly, or just flat out abuse it. I had an M4A1 come in recently that the guy said would need manual cycling after every shot. I found the unit armorer took off and reinstalled the gas tube upside down. No idea how he manged to do it, and yet he did.
View Quote

Something something danger zone
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah buying quality parts is always the first step. Especially don't buy aluminum gas blocks...
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
None. It's perfect.

View Quote

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top