User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't believe the issue has ever been that there was lack of intel as to the emerging threat. The discussion has been why wasn't that Intel actioned with some type of mitigating measures such as displacing or reinforcing?  

It's pretty easy to Monday morning this stuff but the fog or war is real and so is risk analysis and subsequent weighting of COA development.
View Quote

It sounds like you’re picking up what I am hinting at.

As a side note…,

How did the Ambassador travel from the embassy in Tripoli to the   “ mansion / villa “ in Benghazi?

One would think that if it involved Navy or Marine assets, then there shoulda (woulda coulda ?) been a contingency in place if the Ambassador or Sean Smith hit the  “panic button” and the cavalry would be on its way???

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

As a side note…,

How did the Ambassador travel from the embassy in Tripoli to the   “ mansion / villa “ in Benghazi?

One would think that if it involved Navy or Marine assets, then there shoulda (woulda coulda ?) been a contingency in place if the Ambassador or Sean Smith hit the  “panic button” and the cavalry would be on its way???

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe the issue has ever been that there was lack of intel as to the emerging threat. The discussion has been why wasn't that Intel actioned with some type of mitigating measures such as displacing or reinforcing?  

It's pretty easy to Monday morning this stuff but the fog or war is real and so is risk analysis and subsequent weighting of COA development.

As a side note…,

DoD was caught flat-footed, it just was not in Benghazi.   All over the middle east US diplomatic missions were attacked and in many cases the outer defenses were penetrated, the few actual crisis response forces started spinning up but until late never got the authority to move.  After what happen on Sept 11, DoD reorganized to better respond.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The were DoD forces assigned to support the CIA and were Title 50 forces at the time and not Title 10 forces at the time.
View Quote

Yeah, I get that.,,

But if there was intell that the natives were getting upset about some YouTube video (snicker snicker), then why not collect Chris Stevens and Sean Smith earlier in the day on the 11th and keep those two squirrel’ed away inside the Benghazi annex with “Bob” and the rest of the GRS crew?

In a perfect world with all this great intell… I am obviously MMQB’ing here… Smith and Stevens should have been flown out of Benghazi or Libya entirely prior to the 11th .

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Multilateral agreement bullshit that lets our boys know when the chips are down State Department will kiss foreign ass and let them die.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I haven’t read the book.

But I kinda connected 2 and 2, or at least I thought I did.

I am probably wrong.

The Hillary State Department funneled American made Stinger missiles to Libya.  But once in Libya they went poof!  And got secret’ed away “underground” through Qatar (gutter) and at least one was used in an attempt to shoot down a Chinhook helicopter.  The missile’s warhead didn’t explode.  It just became embedded in the helo’s frame.  EOD came out the next day to defuse it.  They were able to get a serial number off it.  Eventually, that led DoD officials to discover that Stinger came from the State Department ( or CIA?) .

So I was always under the impression that those guys in Benghazi were part of a mission to track down and recover the rest of the Stingers before any real major damage was done…,like the shooting down of a civilian jet liner….which would really implicate Hillary.

View Quote

They weren’t American arms, they were funneling, it was foreign stockpiles seized in Lybia.  CIA was funneling to Syria and bungled it. They were being given to fundamentalists all over the place. Some got traced all the way to the Philippines…
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, I get that.,,

But if there was intell that the natives were getting upset about some YouTube video (snicker snicker), then why not collect Chris Stevens and Sean Smith earlier in the day on the 11th and keep those two squirrel’ed away inside the Benghazi annex with “Bob” and the rest of the GRS crew?

In a perfect world with all this great intell… I am obviously MMQB’ing here… Smith and Stevens should have been flown out of Benghazi or Libya entirely prior to the 11th .

View Quote

The US Ambassador  is the senior representative of the United States government in any nation unless military operations are authorized, he would be the one who would have to direct them to go into that sort of posture. However what I’ve noticed working with DoS is many of the Ambassador’s are perpetually naïve to the threat that they face, they believe since they are America’s representatives they would never be harmed.  

Much of what was known of the intel ar the time is still classified and can’t be spoken of until appropriately declassified
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The US Ambassador  is the senior representative of the United States government in any nation unless military operations are authorized, he would be the one who would have to direct them to go into that sort of posture. However what I’ve noticed working with DoS is many of the Ambassador’s are perpetually naïve to the threat that they face, they believe since they are America’s representatives they would never be harmed.  

Much of what was known of the intel ar the time is still classified and can’t be spoken of until appropriately declassified
View Quote

I know.,, but…but..,,

Since google owns YouTube, and the big wigs at google are like Obama’s butt buddies, and YouTube’s AI or algorithms at the time shoulda noticed the huge spike in views for that video…views coming from Libya…that shoulda sounded the alarm for Stevens and Smith to get the fuck outta Dodge.

But seriously…,

As long as Hillary, Obama, and Biden are alive, absolutely NONE of that intell will ever be officially released to the public.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not following you.

Are you inferring what occurred in Mogadishu is analogous to Benghazi?  If so, how?  Somalia was a DoD mission and there were plenty of resources on call. Yes, Gary and Randy lost their lives, as did 17 others but they weren't left to hang out to dry. They went to the fight knowing the dangers of what they were about to do. No greater love.......

Benghazi was a fuck up because the enemy order of battle intel wasn't plugged into the equation.  Honestly, that's not all that unusual with that agency as they aren't DoD and operate under different parameters, often using local assets.  

I have good friend that just left DSS who was on the Ambo's detail just prior to this going down. I know he has a bit of survivors guilt about not being there when it happened and honestly I never thought to ask him about the movie. I always assume that movies will take creative liberty, or outright lie, to pump up the story line.
View Quote

I believe he’s referring to inadequate force protections, deference to foreign authority and reliance on foreign assets in the response.  When it comes to crisis actions I kinda think we say screw protocol and go immediate unilateral response.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe he’s referring to inadequate force protections, deference to foreign authority and reliance on foreign assets in the response.  When it comes to crisis actions I kinda think we say screw protocol and go immediate unilateral response.
View Quote

I was part of a contingent of USAFA cadets who got a talk by an Army Lt. Col. from Ft. Carson who said he was in Somalia.  Wherever he was at in the “food chain” , he said he drafted a request or memo for armor.  This request went up the chain.  It would get denied and sent back down the chain.  He would re-write it and send it back up the chain.  I can’t remember if it made it any higher up the chain, but this went on, back and forth, and up and down multiple times , say like between 5 and 10 times .  This was within like a 6 month to  a 1 year window preceding the BHD incident.

After BHD , it was surmised that Clintons didn’t want it to look like we were militarily escalating things in Somalia.  The optics of having M1 Abrams tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles rolling down the streets of Mogadishu equaled military escalation ..,, not “force protection”… in the Clintons’ eyes.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what the SOP was there but I'd assume that the Chief of Station wanted a low viz profile so there wasn't a lot of live fire.

Also it's not uncommon to fall in on a weapon when you rotate in and never get a chance to zero it up.  That's not a great excuse as there are techniques for a rudimentary zero by bore sighting. The PEQs also have a slaved visible laser that greatly assists in in getting that on paper as well. Of course everything needs to be confirmed with live fire but you can get close. The real problem will be at range with that whole mil relationship jazz.

An old team mate was doing counter piracy stuff for few years and he told me that on one ship he was on the Captain held the keys to weapons cases. He never got to even see his guns, let alone zero them up.  Some Captains were all about daily live fires to keep the skills up and some were plainly anti-gun and only allowed the security guys on board because the company said so. All this goes with the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the things that Paronto related that his rifle wasn’t sighted in and he actually had to use Kentucky windage to make hits.He related that was one of his major fuck ups.

I'm not sure what the SOP was there but I'd assume that the Chief of Station wanted a low viz profile so there wasn't a lot of live fire.

Also it's not uncommon to fall in on a weapon when you rotate in and never get a chance to zero it up.  That's not a great excuse as there are techniques for a rudimentary zero by bore sighting. The PEQs also have a slaved visible laser that greatly assists in in getting that on paper as well. Of course everything needs to be confirmed with live fire but you can get close. The real problem will be at range with that whole mil relationship jazz.

An old team mate was doing counter piracy stuff for few years and he told me that on one ship he was on the Captain held the keys to weapons cases. He never got to even see his guns, let alone zero them up.  Some Captains were all about daily live fires to keep the skills up and some were plainly anti-gun and only allowed the security guys on board because the company said so. All this goes with the job.

That’s pretty messed up when your life depends on it, isn’t it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was part of a contingent of USAFA cadets who got a talk by an Army Lt. Col. from Ft. Carson who said he was in Somalia.  Wherever he was at in the “food chain” , he said he drafted a request or memo for armor.  This request went up the chain.  It would get denied and sent back down the chain.  He would re-write it and send it back up the chain.  I can’t remember if it made it any higher up the chain, but this went on, back and forth, and up and down multiple times , say like between 5 and 10 times .  This was within like a 6 month to  a 1 year window preceding the BHD incident.

After BHD , it was surmised that Clintons didn’t want it to look like we were militarily escalating things in Somalia.  The optics of having M1 Abrams tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles rolling down the streets of Mogadishu equaled military escalation ..,, not “force protection”… in the Clintons’ eyes.

View Quote

And the Clintons were likely talked into this by foreign policy advisors who believed wholly in “multilateral” responsibilities and optics. They didn’t need to parade armor just include it and hold it in readiness and reserve.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe that the whole event was a setup and that the Ambassador was meant to be captured and then traded for the blind sheikh.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.....Manning was a General Officer and had done the same thing he would have been allowed to retire, would've signed a book deal and been fast tracked into a sweet DOD consulting job deciding the next useless camo pattern for the services.....
View Quote

They jailed him when his presentation was 'Muddy Girl' camo.  If only he had waited until now, It would've been a much netter turn out for him, and not our pink muddy soldiers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Just goes to show, the CIA and State Dept. have no real oversight.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

A few months ago I was asking a friend of mine who had worked with the state department on several occasions about this.

He said that the state department is out to undermine the president.

"All of them?" I asked.

"All of them, the office itself."

Personally I think the state department has a track record ranging from psychopathic to criminally incompetent. As for the CIA... Ha!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
13 hours is a good movie and I think it is a fairly accurate film of the incident. Glad it was made to get their story out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw it in the theater. When the credits rolled, you could hear a pin drop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#19]
@imq707s

Here's your Benghazi redpill.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It’s been about 30 years since I have worn NODS/NVG’s and even back then, the Jolly Green Giant (yes, I am
old ) had its own FLIR pod…,

And this was before weapon mounted lasers/DBAL’s were even thought of, so …, given what technology the guys in Benghazi had , put the IR laser dot on the hadji out at whatever distance, and you’re pretty much 100% guaranteed 1shot 1 kill with every trigger press.  

View Quote

Super badass.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not following you.

Are you inferring what occurred in Mogadishu is analogous to Benghazi?  If so, how?  Somalia was a DoD mission and there were plenty of resources on call. Yes, Gary and Randy lost their lives, as did 17 others but they weren't left to hang out to dry. They went to the fight knowing the dangers of what they were about to do. No greater love.......

Benghazi was a fuck up because the enemy order of battle intel wasn't plugged into the equation.  Honestly, that's not all that unusual with that agency as they aren't DoD and operate under different parameters, often using local assets.  

I have good friend that just left DSS who was on the Ambo's detail just prior to this going down. I know he has a bit of survivors guilt about not being there when it happened and honestly I never thought to ask him about the movie. I always assume that movies will take creative liberty, or outright lie, to pump up the story line.
View Quote

The Somalia mission started as a humanitarian mission under Bush 41. Clinton can't to office and after the "Don't ask. Don't tell" fiasco, he wanted to prove his military CIC
Muscle, first by putting U.S. troops under U.N. command and then turning it into a military mission. The BHD incident was supposed to be a night but they turned it into a day op to make Clinton look good. SecDef Perry at the time refused to let tanks support them when everything turned to shit.

I think his point was, that's not the first time the Clintons have left someone out to dry.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I find it hard to believe that they were as openly disrespectful and mouthy towards the station chief and other agents as they were in the movie.

Also, by watching the movie you would think the only people defending the compound were the stars of the movie.  I'm sure there were other shooters there.  In fact, after everything starts there is a scene in the TOC where they show other guys with M4s.  But they only show the 4 or 5 stars of the movie actually fighting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]
From comparing the book to the movie, I thought there might have been slightly fewer, maybe 30-40% fewer in the dismounted attack toward the end of the movie.

There were pictures in the book from a CCTV of bad guys entering the ambassador's compound.  3/4 didn't have LBVs or racks. One was obese. Many were unarmed.  It looked like a wildly unprofessional force that hit the ambassadors residence.  

This is from FBI.gov.  Only a couple had LBVs, some unarmed, #24 is a super impressive looking guy.  I don't think he was in the movie.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Michael Bay is at his best, in my opinion. Making those sort of smaller scale movies about bizarre but true stories.

The Filmento YouTube channel has a pretty good series critiquing his movies. He seems like he has grown tired of making transformers movies. Regardless of anything else he has plenty of money. But the kind of stuff he makes isn't en vogue at the moment.

I think he did excellent work with 13 Hours. When I saw it in the theater, I heard more than a few people crying when the credits rolled.
View Quote

My wife and I watched it on Netflix or whatever a couple of Memorial Days ago. I cried like a baby at the end. Sad and pissed at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Super badass.
View Quote

Definitely not me.  I was never some snake eater type.

But those dudes on the roof at Benghazii, hell yeah!  Even if their lasers weren’t sighted in and they had to apply Kentucky windage to get hits. Totally bad ass!

Could you imagine if the compound had been over run and all those State/CIA people would have been taken hostage…

It would have been like the Iranian hostage crisis ( from 1978 to 1981 …444 days) version two point oh.

Back then it was a public affairs/media debacle for the Carter administration .

Benghazi could have cost Obama his re-election in  November 2012 if it became a hostage situation.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#28]

To be fair. I don't think those guys were in the same situation necessarily. But if you're saying Clinton's handling of the aftermath, yeah absolutely.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Hats off to them, must have been a very lonely feeling...

Oh, and fuck the sheriff (obama's nickname, see Blazing Saddles for a reference), and that steaming pile of shit hillary with a cactus.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
And we still haven't been told WHERE OBAMA, BIDEN AND HITLERY were, while Americans were being killed by jihadis.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And we still haven't been told WHERE OBAMA, BIDEN AND HITLERY were, while Americans were being killed by jihadis.
View Quote

Obama was laid up gettin some Reggie Lovin
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Somalia mission started as a humanitarian mission under Bush 41. Clinton can't to office and after the "Don't ask. Don't tell" fiasco, he wanted to prove his military CIC
Muscle, first by putting U.S. troops under U.N. command and then turning it into a military mission. The BHD incident was supposed to be a night but they turned it into a day op to make Clinton look good. SecDef Perry at the time refused to let tanks support them when everything turned to shit.

I think his point was, that's not the first time the

Clintons have left someone out to dry.
View Quote

Les Aspin was Secdef when it went down. Perry was his replacement
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I got my info straight from 4 of those involved mouths.
View Quote

Same here. I’ve interviewed them for Recoil and Tactical World.  I’m friends with Mark Geist and Max Martini (actor who played him..I interviewed twice for Recoil too) and I knew Glen Doherty who was killed there.

When I asked them all separately how accurate it was. All 4 agreed it was 95% accurate with the exception that RPGs don’t leave trails but people expect that in movies

Additionally Paranto said he was wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt that night but Disney would not let them use it in the film because
“People don’t kill people wearing Mickey Mouse shirts”

But apparently they do
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#34]
If the scene with Mark Geist getting on the plane is even partly accurate, the man is a badass among badasses.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which is odd because the Osama Bin Laden raid was on May 2nd, 2011 and the Obama administration made it a point that this photo opp was spread all over the news :

Attachment Attached File

Then you have this senile fucker making these kinda comments to Tyrone Woods’ parents :

Attachment Attached File

Which makes me think even more that Obama, Hillary, Biden, etc. were all sitting down watching the livestream from the Benghazi drone…

And it makes me think some sort of advisor was in the room narrating it “Yes, Mr. President that’s Kris Paranto moving to the north side of the roof…. Madam Secretary, we can confirm that was Mark Geist who was injured during the mortar attack….  No, Mr. Vice President  the two guys from Delta are not on the roof yet.”
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Movie is accurate.

There is an odd hate-love relationship between the protectees and the protectors.  First, they don’t recognize/accept the danger inherent in their environment.

Second, they hate you until they need you; the transformation of the female CIA officer is a perfect example.
View Quote

When I was getting interviewed for DSS, it was like a two interviewer tag team thing.  The one guy was a DSS agent.  The other guy was some sorta wannabe diplomat.  I could tell the two dudes had different viewpoints, and the State guy gave out this impression like “Why are we asking that question?  That seems retarded."

And no, I was too old for them to get my background done in time to get hired on.  At that time 37 was the cutoff.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd really like to believe that Hillary and Susan Rice will one day be held to account for that disaster, but the older I get the less I believe it will ever happen.
View Quote

If there truly is a heaven and hell they will be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet the Pakistani’s had armor.  Simply unforgivable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A few months ago I was asking a friend of mine who had worked with the state department on several occasions about this.

"All of them?" I asked.

Personally I think the state department has a track record ranging from psychopathic to criminally incompetent. As for the CIA... Ha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"All of them?" I asked.

The State Department has worked against Americans forever.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Which is odd because the Osama Bin Laden raid was on May 2nd, 2011 and the Obama administration made it a point that this photo opp was spread all over the news :

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/7F3344FB-68E0-497D-959D-7AB56D871DE2_jpe-2034348.JPG

Then you have this senile fucker making these kinda comments to Tyrone Woods' parents :

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/6E812CE0-A90D-4D82-8EC6-BC951C7DBAAE_png-2034349.JPG

Which makes me think even more that Obama, Hillary, Biden, etc. were all sitting down watching the livestream from the Benghazi drone

And it makes me think some sort of advisor was in the room narrating it "Yes, Mr. President that's Kris Paranto moving to the north side of the roof. Madam Secretary, we can confirm that was Mark Geist who was injured during the mortar attack.  No, Mr. Vice President  the two guys from Delta are not on the roof yet."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/7F3344FB-68E0-497D-959D-7AB56D871DE2_jpe-2034348.JPG

Then you have this senile fucker making these kinda comments to Tyrone Woods' parents :

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/6E812CE0-A90D-4D82-8EC6-BC951C7DBAAE_png-2034349.JPG

Which makes me think even more that Obama, Hillary, Biden, etc. were all sitting down watching the livestream from the Benghazi drone

And it makes me think some sort of advisor was in the room narrating it "Yes, Mr. President that's Kris Paranto moving to the north side of the roof. Madam Secretary, we can confirm that was Mark Geist who was injured during the mortar attack.  No, Mr. Vice President  the two guys from Delta are not on the roof yet."

Only WH picture released the night of the attack:

You can find the notes in Biden's hands blown up somewhere.  From memory it had nothing to do with Benghazi and was about another diplomatic call unrelated to the ongoing attack.

Also, people forget that we had to abandon our embassy there in 2014.

Sarah Carlson on the CIA's Mad Max escape from Libya at war, Ep. 46
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top