Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I can speak Spanish pretty well and am better at reading it
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a question for y'all:  if you found a 'linguists' Genie's lamp, and he could grant you the ability to magically speak and read/write any 3 additional languages with no effort, what would they be?
I'll go with Mandarin, Russian, and .. tie between German, French, or classic Latin.
View Quote
I think I would choose Spanish, French and Portuguese.  That would cover the Americas and much of EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa).
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Shiiiit, my momma din' raise no fool! I dug her rap!

on the serious side, I did study Russian in High School... I can still read Cyrillic and can sound out words. I still remember a few words, but I'm far from conversational.

And it was a total waste. I should have studied Spanish. It would be far more useful. I know a bit of Spanish... there are a halfway decent number of words and phrases I know. On occasion I can get the gist of what people are talking about, but often I can't. I wish I had learned more. Being a white dude fluent in Spanish around here could be useful from time to time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excuse me, stewardess,  I speak jive.

Shiiiit, my momma din' raise no fool! I dug her rap!

on the serious side, I did study Russian in High School... I can still read Cyrillic and can sound out words. I still remember a few words, but I'm far from conversational.

And it was a total waste. I should have studied Spanish. It would be far more useful. I know a bit of Spanish... there are a halfway decent number of words and phrases I know. On occasion I can get the gist of what people are talking about, but often I can't. I wish I had learned more. Being a white dude fluent in Spanish around here could be useful from time to time.

Spanish, French, Mandarin. .

Those are going to be the most useful. German is handy as well in Europe but there you are far less likely to find yourself with no English speakers around. Portuguese can be a good one in certain parts of the world as well.

I speak conversationally fluent German, and am trying to get my French up to that level as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone else in the world speaks English as a second language so I am ok knowing English only.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Pffft.

Mi cago en tus muertos.

Putas.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chango tu madre.

View Quote

En la boca.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Si.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I speak every language I need to speak to go about my life.

If that changed, and I for one reason or another suddenly didn't speak all the languages I need, I would learn enough languages to fix that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.
Wouldn't hurt to be able to order a beer and ask were the head is at.
View Quote

Order a beer, order a meal, ask directions for the head, and tell a gal she is pretty.  Should get you through many social interactions.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't care. Very few places I've been to who don't speak English. I guess if I was born anywhere else, I would learn English too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to the interwebs, there are more bilingual people in the world than monolingual. Should America consider being able to speak only one language as a detriment rather than the norm?

Don't care. Very few places I've been to who don't speak English. I guess if I was born anywhere else, I would learn English too.

/thread
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
English is the language of commerce. Maybe mandarin is passing it soon but for now its english. I’ve read that you’ll have a few foreign companies try and communicate and they’ll use english since its the secondary language they probably learned to do business in. I don’t know how true that is but its what I’ve read.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
It's nothing to be ashamed of either. (unless your an illegal alien in a spanish country)
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
It’s nothing to be ashamed of either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, but if you could only speak one language, English would be the top choice.  It’s an international standard, and is probably the most common second language all over the world.
View Quote

This right there. If there was a language more widely used, I would be all over it.

To me not knowing English is way worse than only knowing English. It doesn't matter how many you know, they are all limited.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#15]
All the messican  I know, I learned from Cheech and Chong.

Hey pendejos!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ACTUALLY, it was nazis speaking German and using the metric system, but let’s not stop at details
View Quote

Nope, Apollo was entirely imperial.  Hardware, guidance, everything.  Don't believe me?  Look up the Apollo 11 landing transcript. They're calling out distances in feet and velocity on feet per second.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I read that as being a mongoloid is nothing to be proud of.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no reason or need to learn another language.

People elsewhere DO have a reason/need to learn English.

Sorry. We are better than your country.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.  It's still being taught in some ex-colonies, but so are other languages.

Hindi or Mandarin will get you speaking to 20% of the world.
View Quote

Hindi unlocks only 43% of India. In large swaths of India, English beats Hindi. Many locals reject learning it as they do not want it becoming the national language so it doesn't spread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, being able to speak a couple other languages is useful.  Sure is fuck all easier than climbing a mountain face with a backpack stuffed with Whatever-to-English dictionaries.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I speak 3 languages fluently.
I wish I spoke at least 2 more fluently.

Most of my friends being born to immigrant parents and living in Quebec speak at least 3 languages.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The thread title is incorrect.

Being monolingual is something to be proud of, when the second language that all the other people around the world learn is your language.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]

I speak jive, and can both read and write in cursive, (some difficulty writing, its very rarely employed)
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Of course it is, M/F'er wants to talk to me, speak my language.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#25]
English is the most widely spoken second language in the world. I had four years of high school German, one year was college-level AP. I don't consider myself bilingual and I have a asleep don't get a lot of chance to practice with here in the middle of cattle Country Florida. But I bought tapes or CDs or DVDs and brushed up on my high school German before I went over there so at least I could be polite.
I had 10 credits of Spanish in college, all I can do is order a beer or find the beach. Well and say please and thank you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just learn the cuss words.
View Quote

This. Lots of apps to help.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you are saying that you don't speak Botchi, the language of load lifters?
View Quote

BINARY load lifters.  They are similar to vaporators in most respects.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Are most people bilingual because they also learn English as their second language.   I already know it so don’t need to learn another.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Duolingo FTW!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Duolingo FTW!
View Quote

I've used that and Babbel. I think Babbel is a little bit better. If you watch, you can buy a lifetime unlimited subscription now and then.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Ich verstehen ein bischen Deutsch.

Nicht sehr gut.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Most of GD is trilingual
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Most science is done in English. Most air traffic control is in English. Going to the moon is in English. Why is that?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most science is done in English. Most air traffic control is in English. Going to the moon is in English. Why is that?
View Quote

Racism and sexism
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just learn the cuss words.
View Quote

I know a ton of profanity in Bosnian. Working with several for a few years I wanted to know how to call somebody a cock sucker or how to know when I was being called one. Every day I made Emir teach me a new slur in Bosnian.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Define bilingual. A few known words or phrases or conversational? If you are claiming 50% are conversational I call BS.
View Quote

I know enough French and Spanish to get by on but conversational I am not.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I had to learn another language, it would probably be German.

Likely not useful for much, except yelling at people with maximum impact.
View Quote

Dutch or Russian sounds 100x angrier.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.  
That said, I think k foreign languages are interesting and fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No need = they are all learning English so they can move Rule here.

Fixed it for you.  
That said, I think k foreign languages are interesting and fun.

That they are. As are foreign people and places.

That doesn't mean I should have to speak a foreign language here in my own Country.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I speak English and Pig Latin!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its not a detriment for us for the most part because we don't have to deal with hardly anyone thst doesn't speak english. I know a little spanish but i wouldn't have much opportunity to practice much of anything else
View Quote

There lies the problem. I rarely get the opportunity to practice French so my proficiency is severely lacking. Spanish a little more so but since we Americans are cut off by two oceans, a mostly English speaking neighbor to the north and a predominantly Spanish speaking hemisphere to the south the likelihood of needing to know another language is slim.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Most of the world is bilingual for two reasons.

1. They need English to be successful but already speak their native language.
2. They live in close proximity to other countries on par with them that speak different languages.

1 and 2 do not apply to us
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#44]
There's no need for me to learn another language. If I can't speak to someone using English, then I guess I don't need to speak to them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Yo soy un gringo pero yo ha pracado hablando en espanol, no es necesario.  

I just did it because I grew up around a ton of hispanics and still live in a border state.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:24:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Learning another language is usually caused by necessity.  I know several people who were exposed to other languages as kids, learned those languages, then as they got older lost the fluency.  They didn't need it to be successful.  I speak a wee bit of Spanish, not at all fluently, but I never feel inadequate.  It's like calculus.  I learned it once, and now I don't know it well.  Don't need it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Faggot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#49]
The Average american doesn't have enough vacation time to make a second language a worthwhile time investment.

This is exacerbated by the fact that the average Americans travel destinations are to:

-Countries with a high level of English speaking (EU zone)

-Countries Americans are unlikely to learn the language of even if bilingual and motivated (Asia.)

https://www.loveexploring.com/gallerylist/71756/ranked-the-top-30-most-popular-destinations-for-americans

I support learning Spanish if you have to flee the country, or want to import some hot latinas. Outside of that its a limited use skill.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Few people are balanced bilinguals meaning they are native speakers of two languages. Most are less fluent in their second language. The levels are Survival, Intermediate, Advanced, Superior, and Native speaker.
View Quote

I got to native with Portuguese....when I was down there I could fool anyone into thinking I was Brazilian.

The head of the Portuguese department at BYU told me I was the best non-native speaker he had ever heard.  (I didn't go to BYU, his daughter was friends with my sister so I would see him around)

There, I am done patting myself on the back.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top