Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 4:57:44 AM EDT
I dont know a damn thing about the various gun safes out there for sale and locally have only seen American safe company products at retial so...
Are the American safe co products a very good safe??
If you had 1200-1500 dollars to spend on a safe what would you choose and why??
If i spent as much as 2000 would the increse in quality justify the extra money spent??

This safe is going to need to hold 10 long guns and many pistols and ammo  it wil be put in a garage at home.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#1]
With most safes on the market you can see the workmanship and level of security. Ie; Wall thickness, door thickness and tolerances, handle, dail, interior craftsmanship. The fire rating you`ll have to take at face value.
I would get the biggest safe you can possibly fit in your house. I said the same thing about number of weapons and now have two safes, the first medium size and the second the biggest Cannon makes. I would stay away from Cannon
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you get, get it bigger than you think you'll need.

Years ago, I bought a Fort Knox. I outgrew it in two years. I then built a double door safe 4 feet wide. That did really well for almost 10. Now I still have the big one, but I stuck one of those cheap Homak safes in the closet for overflow.

For brands,Fort Knox, Heritage, Liberty, American, they're all pretty good now. Look at the features and pick what you like.

have fun,

The Other Chris
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.deansafe.com/[/url]

This place has a decent selection online with prices.  Maybe it will help.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Several of the safe companies are based right here in my backyard in Utah.  I have a National Security.  Their factory is about a mile from where I sit this moment.  Ft. Knox is also very nice.  I can recommend either of those two as first rate units.  There are other good ones too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The best safe in the world is the one the criminal doesn't know exists.

Any safe that a criminal can find, he can defeat. He might need time and the right tools, but then, he ain't there to eat tea and crumpets.

Best scenario is to hide your safe in such a fashion that it is in a wall, or other place where even if the criminal looks directly at it, he won't know its there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Here in Cali we want hidden safes to keep thcops away, not criminals
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Sportsmansteelsafe.com Nice safes good prices exellent fire protection. 38 gun unit approx 1300. good luck
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Browning Pro-steel. holds 15 long guns and has shelves for handguns,mags, wifes jewelry and other things.  I keep all my ammo locked up in another room in one of the large mortor shell cases.  Even in a fire safe, ammo can "cook off" so I wont put ammo in my fire safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top