BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It’s overrated if you try and make it a CQB rifle.

Can you build a similar shooting AR-10 rifle with these characteristics for the same price as a decently equipped SCAR?

Folding stock
Extremely soft recoil
16” Chrome barrel
Lightweight

Geisselle trigger
KDG/extended forend

If so, which rifles out there match these exact characteristics for roughly $3800
View Quote

Take your pick - the LMT MWS, the Larue PredatOBR, Daniel Defense DD5, etc.

Slap on a Law folder if you must, and pick your buffer components to match whatever load/suppressor you are using. The Geissele trigger is only another $200-250 on a $3000 rifle.

The SCAR may be light, but once you throw a proper scope on it, it won't be feeling much better than any AR with the same optic. I had a Nightforce ATACR 1-8 on my 17 and that thing felt as cumbersome as my PTR 91 with a bipod or a 21" FAL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can you build a similar shooting AR-10 rifle with these characteristics for the same price as a decently equipped SCAR?

Folding stock
Extremely soft recoil
16” Chrome barrel
Lightweight

Geisselle trigger
KDG/extended forend

If so, which rifles out there match these exact characteristics for roughly $3800
View Quote

My JP LTC-19 came in under that price.

I'd rather carry it than the SCAR I used.

That said, the Mk20 I had was dumbass accurate and much better than any SR/M110 I've encountered
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#3]
We never had an issue with them in 3/75. Usually only our Gun team leaders and some squad leaders took them out.

1/75 did the initial test run of the 5.56 Scars and it ended up not being adopted Regiment wide.

Quoted:
I liked mine.....and it made me look even cooler with my Hawaiian shirt and 5/11 pants at the entrance to the DFAC.  I would say it was an excellent gategun /recruiting tool for batt boys looking to trade up.

18Z50
View Quote

What? I sure didn't have to goto group to use a SCAR lol...Batt had them before SF did, as well as most other new kit during that timeframe. The better recruiting tool would have been going to a place where you aren't getting crushed everyday lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:38:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We never had an issue with them in 3/75. Usually only our Gun team leaders and some squad leaders took them out.

1/75 did the initial test run of the 5.56 Scars and it ended up not being adopted Regiment wide.

What? I sure didn't have to goto group to use a SCAR lol...Batt had them before SF did...as well as OpsCores and most everyone kitted out with Block IIs lol. The SF dudes on Shank were still rocking MICHs in 2013 lol. At the time we definitely had the superior kit. Cant speak for now.

View Quote
@Slayer_Actual

I was 3/75 and we had 16's and 17's in Shank in '13.

The IDF was outta control there in that time frame
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shot my freinds the other day, I'm a fan
View Quote

You did what now?

Did they live?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
ARs are just so fucking good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol who says it doesn't kick. I guess if I shot one mag through it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You did what now?

Did they live?
View Quote

How many friends does he have left?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Why Navy SEALs Hate the FN SCAR 17 - Vigilance Elite
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shot one full auto at Battlefield Vegas. It was fun
View Quote
But was it uncontrollable?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Slap on a Law folder if you must, and pick your buffer components to match whatever load/suppressor you are using. The Geissele trigger is only another $200-250 on a $3000 rifle.

The SCAR may be light, but once you throw a proper scope on it, it won't be feeling much better than any AR with the same optic. I had a Nightforce ATACR 1-8 on my 17 and that thing felt as cumbersome as my PTR 91 with a bipod or a 21" FAL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's overrated if you try and make it a CQB rifle.

Folding stock
Extremely soft recoil
16" Chrome barrel
Lightweight

Geisselle trigger
KDG/extended forend

I think Colt would have done well to market a simplified version of their 901.

Dump the 5.56 convertibility, and ditch the mono upper for a handguard interface that is used by one of the big players.  Would probably shave lbs  in the process too.

I could see that getting some foreign mil sales given what the price point would be compared to any other defense contractors 7.62 offering.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I currently own both and these are my thoughts exactly.

The gun may have been cutting edge in 2009, but its ergonomics, some aspects of its design and its price are not competitive in today’s market. The gun is actually more deserving of an overhaul than what the Bren 2 did for the 805.
View Quote

What rifles are more up to date than the Scar?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The AR.
View Quote

ARs are the master race. I bought an ACR then decided to skip the Scar. The ACR is pretty gay though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here we go again...GD asshats making obtuse statements about a rifle that most can’t afford or haven’t shot. “But my SEAL buddy said it sucks!”  How long ago was this?  “Durrr, 10 years ago...”

The video is spot on. The SCAR shines for engagements beyond 200yds but only if you keep the longer barrel. Using a 762 with a 13” barrel is retardation, and negates almost every positive that comes from a 16” 762 select-fire rifle.  It’s one of, if not the softest shooting, magazine-fed 762 rifles on the market.  Mag capacity is limited but duh, you’re carrying 762.

So no, the SCAR doesn’t shine in all aspects, under all conditions but it CAN do a lot of things.

Those who have SCARs know three things, the stock trigger blows, an extended forend is needed and don’t buy a cheap optic. GBPSE.
View Quote

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
7.62x51mm was obsolete when it was originally adopted.  Change my mind.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ARs are the master race. I bought an ACR then decided to skip the Scar. The ACR is pretty gay though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR.

I’m so glad I got my ACR just because they’re so iconic, but yeah it’s a pretty dumb rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
30 min

View Quote

I like the guy but god damn that is too long.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

f=ma

If you need more "F" you need more "M" especially at distance.
YMMV=YMMV
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m so glad I got my ACR just because they’re so iconic, but yeah it’s a pretty dumb rifle.
View Quote

For some reason it reminds me of the magpul DVDs, cringey stuff
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

f=ma

YMMV=YMMV
View Quote

Needing more F is a questionable assumption.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

f=ma

YMMV=YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

f=ma

YMMV=YMMV

Force has basically nothing to do with terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I stutter?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m just here for all the my buddy who’s a SEAL, Raider or clerk used one and said they sucked. Clowns, fucking clowns everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

From my understanding SCAR is probably best 7.62 but in 5.56 not much purpose to it.

View Quote

In the late 2000's 10th SFG ran extensive tests of both heavy and light SCARs.  As far as I know the conclusion is as you stated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ll concede that you can probably build something close to the SCAR for slightly cheaper but there isn’t much that competes with the 17 as an, off-the-shelf weapon.  All of the ARs you mentioned are heavier than the SCAR.  

My SCAR was $2500 a few years ago, so my price entry was much lower than what it is today. You’re correct that it’s overpriced in today’s gun market.

Plus, I can’t think of another weapon that gives you a free boot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’m just here for all the my buddy who’s a SEAL, Raider or clerk used one and said they sucked. Clowns, fucking clowns everywhere.
View Quote

This.  It’s amazing - and at the point of mathematical improbability - just how many members of GD are either blood kin or besties with SEALs, CAG, or batt boys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#32]
they are just  OK.

that brake makes it a very smooth semi auto 762. and with the Giesselle trigger it is slick.

Accuracy is fine.

I prefer it over any G3 or  FAL, etc by a long shot.

it is in no way better than a good 762 pattern AR.   To think it is better or does something a 556 won't do is retarded though.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

it is in no way better than a good 762 pattern AR.   To think it is better or does something a 556 won't do is retarded though.

View Quote

556 sucks at range. That’s not retarded.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That compensator on the commercially sold version is doing a lot for the recoil.  The military version has a flash hider.
View Quote

When I was at AAC, we worked with FN to do a SCAR-H silencer . . . not sure the specifics (I wasn't around then) but we ended up destroying almost 200 silencers that had been changed several times from a normal 762sd all because FN's engineering staff said the cans had too much backpressure and they didn't want to mess with the gas system.

The last step was they cut a couple of radial holes into the blast chamber to bleed off pressure but it created a nice stream of flames at night

Sounded, at the the time, like FN not only didn't know what they wanted but they didn't know how to even get there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kicks hard, destroys optics, uncontrollable on full auto.

Wish I was issued one, cause 308
View Quote

I’m not a fan of the SCAR but the recoil issues are bullshit.

While they shoot pretty soft for a .308, any .308 rifle is going to suck on full auto.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ll even go further back:

20th Century American small arms development would have been far better off of it had been based upon the 6mm Lee Navy instead of 30-03.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

So heavier slugs penetrate LESS at any range?
Just use a 5.7 then...
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just use a 5.7 then...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just use a 5.7 then...

I didn't say that.

Terminal ballistics is a very, very complex field of study. Mammals are very complicated things, and they react to projectiles in different ways for reasons that still aren't perfectly understood.

F=MA is a useless equation when comparing various bullets' effect in tissue. I suspect he was thinking of kinetic energy, modeled as proportional to mass and the square of velocity. That's a much better model, though still incomplete.

If you want to go back to F=MA, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it applies to terminal ballistics. Which forces? Acceleration due to what? At least mass is self explanatory.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Having owned both (16 and 17), I won’t say I hate them but I do think they’re overrated. Also, based on the customer service a good friend received from FN when his 16 was having feeding issues, if I still owned them I would pray nothing happened to them.
View Quote

Don't know much about the scar but I can confirm FN's customer service sucks....my FN bolt rifles backwards 20 moa rail confirms this and their response was "it's 20 moa right?".  
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Folding stock
Extremely soft recoil
16” Chrome barrel
Lightweight

Geisselle trigger
KDG/extended forend

View Quote

Get rid of the dumb folding stock requirement and you could do an AR pattern gun like that pretty easily.

The funniest thing about the SCAR is the ridiculous 1894-esque reciprocating charging handle.  FN insists that the SOCOM guys mandated it, and SOCOM seems to say that FN wanted it.

I’ve never heard anyone that could give a decent justification for it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That compensator on the commercially sold version is doing a lot for the recoil.  The military version has a flash hider.
View Quote

First Scar17 I shot had a weird looking dimpled compensator on it that I swear had a PWS symbol on it and it worked great but I’ve never seen another with that brake. This was an FN dealer sample gun early in production.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you want to go back to F=MA, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it applies to terminal ballistics. Which forces? Acceleration due to what? At least mass is self explanatory.
View Quote

................increasing sectional density improves penetration and one way is by increasing mass..................

Thats the "M" F= MA , its really pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

................increasing sectional density improves penetration and one way is by increasing mass..................

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Penetration is a function of velocity, momentum, and relative density. It has very little to do with Newton's second law. Try again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's not a good way to keep friends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a good way to keep friends.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Don't know much about the scar but I can confirm FN's customer service sucks....my FN bolt rifles backwards 20 moa rail confirms this and their response was "it's 20 moa right?".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having owned both (16 and 17), I won’t say I hate them but I do think they’re overrated. Also, based on the customer service a good friend received from FN when his 16 was having feeding issues, if I still owned them I would pray nothing happened to them.

My friend was experiencing feeding issues on his 16 when using the bolt release on a fresh mag; The round would hang up on the feed ramps. He tried this with multiple brands of magazines, with multiple types of ammo and all induced the same malfunction. He contacted FN customer service and sent them the video he had made demonstrating the issue. They instructed him to send the rifle in to them, which he did. They sent it back a couple weeks later stating there was nothing wrong with it and it worked perfectly for them. Of course, it was still doing the exact same thing it had been doing before he sent it in. He was told, upon contacting them again, that they had checked it, nothing was wrong, and they would not take it back in a second time. Needless to say, he is no longer a SCAR owner and has no interest in any other FN products.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My friend was experiencing feeding issues on his 16 when using the bolt release on a fresh mag; The round would hang up on the feed ramps. He tried this with multiple brands of magazines, with multiple types of ammo and all induced the same malfunction. He contacted FN customer service and sent them the video he had made demonstrating the issue. They instructed him to send the rifle in to them, which he did. They sent it back a couple weeks later stating there was nothing wrong with it and it worked perfectly for them. Of course, it was still doing the exact same thing it had been doing before he sent it in. He was told, upon contacting them again, that they had checked it, nothing was wrong, and they would not take it back in a second time. Needless to say, he is no longer a SCAR owner and has no interest in any other FN products.
View Quote

Giving HK some competition.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did I stutter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I stutter?

No, you are right,  which is why acorns kill thousands a year
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Welcome to ARFCOM. You’ll fit in just fine.
View Quote

Now I feel performance anxiety.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#49]
The only criticism here that is valid is the FN customer service (FN is some legit Dunder Mifflin Paper Company level shit on the CS end).

What I say is true and must be accepted bc I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who once stood behind a SEAL in the check out line at Whole Foods.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, you are right,  which is why acorns kill thousands a year
View Quote

LOL!

That Newton laws of acorn motion thingy.....
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top