[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

it's really only dangerous if you are not jacked up, or jacked up then the sea floor shifts, or if somthing hits your, or if you catch fire.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an engineer, I'm trying to figure out how you could made that more top-heavy. Maybe add several tons of lead weights at the top of the jack poles.

Seriously, that's a terrible design and incredibly dangerous.

it's really only dangerous if you are not jacked up, or jacked up then the sea floor shifts, or if somthing hits your, or if you catch fire.

Or the wind blows, or the waves get a little high, or a seagull lands on one of the poles, or...
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Or the wind blows, or the waves get a little high, or a seagull lands on one of the poles, or...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an engineer, I'm trying to figure out how you could made that more top-heavy. Maybe add several tons of lead weights at the top of the jack poles.

Seriously, that's a terrible design and incredibly dangerous.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ch16 was a nightmare last night.  Lots of Coast Guard and good sams on site doing as much as they can.  Don't expect a positive outcome.
View Quote

Just updated OP. 01 deceased as of now.12 still missing.

Even if the crew and or pax are alive inside the hull, it has to be rough to get to them right now.

I do know a lot of assets and good samaritans are out there, can only pray it's enough.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Even if the crew and or pax are alive inside the hull, it has to be rough to get to them right now.

I do know a lot of assets and good samaritans are out there, can only pray it's enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ch16 was a nightmare last night.  Lots of Coast Guard and good sams on site doing as much as they can.  Don't expect a positive outcome.

damn that sucks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I flew out of Fourchon back in the late 90s.  That was one of the fields I worked.

Had to land on several of those while I worked there.  Can't say I was ever comfortable.

The weather out there can kick up on occasion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The weather out there can kick up on occasion.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57587/scan0002_jpg-1904590.JPG
View Quote

And kick up it did. A rare "wake low" occurred with hurricane force winds. Those were some major waves that were out there, and the Seacor Power was not designed or able to continue it's transit with the conditions it found itself in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Update 04/14: 01 dead, 06 rescued, 12 missing. Vessel left port at 13:30, 90 minutes before the NWS weather warning.

NWS Twitter Radar at the time.

Fair winds and following seas to the decedent

Inclement weather remains again on scene, leading to poor search and rescue conditions.

Updating OP.  Seacor Power, a 129ft Jack Up Boat/Lift Boat  with 18/19 people on board capsized 08 miles south of Port Fourchon. 06/07 look to have been recovered.

Sorry for the conflicting count, but WDSU and NOLA.COM are reporting different counts. *Both stories now concur on count*

We had pretty gnarly weather in New Orleans this afternoon and Grand Isle had hurricane forced wind.

Godspeed and hope this ends well.

NOLA.COM Article

ETA removed video mention since that seems to be the takeaway, when that's not the story.
View Quote

None of this makes any sense what so ever unless you click the link.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
4:08 for wave action. Shrimp boat thought they were going over, dad coaching son over the phone.

Video shows terrifying conditions off La. coast around the same time Seacor Power capsized

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
4:08 for wave action. Shrimp boat thought they were going over, dad coaching son over the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPmQEQCfLXU
View Quote

Holy smokes...thats one heck of a blow.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]

That's interesting. I've never heard of a Wake Bowl before. It was definitely more intense then your average summer squall.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]

When I checked the WX apps I use the weather off Fourchon was like 15-20.

NWS was way off. The are only accurate about 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I checked the WX apps I use the weather off Fourchon was like 15-20.

NWS was way off. The are only accurate about 50% of the time.
View Quote

None of my phone apps had any increase in wind. I was considering going jet skiing but luckily didn’t. It got nasty up at the house. I’m really glad we weren’t on the water
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have this crazy fear of the open water and a need read about it all the time. Hope the best during a capsizing in the open water but man, the sea is so unforgiving...and also fucking huge
View Quote

and hungry, if you float in cold water you freeze to death, if you float in warm water the sharks get you. People dont think the sea be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

None of this makes any sense what so ever unless you click the link.
View Quote

Well this is GD afterall. Been on the phone so updating succinctly is a little complicated for me.

I did clean it up, so hope that helps others.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
a friend of mine from HS works on a rig down in that area. His wife posted that he wasnt on that particular boat though thank God. My heart goes out to missing, hopefully they can be found.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On 04/13, the Seacor Power, a 129ft Jack Up Boat/Lift Boat with 18 people on board capsized in severe weather, 08 miles south of Port Fourchon, LA. The vessel left port at 13:30, 90 minutes before the NWS weather warning.

A significant weather event, a rare "Wake Low" occured, leading to hurricane like conditions, with wind speeds in excess of 80kts and created a 2 ft surge in nearby Grand Isle.

The inclement weather remained today (04/14) slowing continued rescue efforts.

I will say, BZ to the crew of the CGC Glenn Harris, which is still in pre commissioning. She got underway and rescued two survivors before even being fully commissioned.

NOLA.COM Article

NWS Twitter Radar at the time.
View Quote

I worked on an OSV that serviced that Jack Up boat. Man, thats rough.
I never liked the way they would sway back and forth while out of the water.

Saw the pics of the USCG & some Samaritan vessels assisting the search & rescue effort.

Prayers out to all involved.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They are ideal for destroying all the artificial reefs that the platforms made and are taken out due to the fucked up idle iron policy Obama came up with that asshole
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've worked off of lots of lift boats and yes they suck as boats. We used them for their cranes and living quarters when doing construction or well work on smaller unmanned production platforms on the shallow shelf in the GOM.

They are ideal for destroying all the artificial reefs that the platforms made and are taken out due to the fucked up idle iron policy Obama came up with that asshole
My job is to move those jackets. A good portion of them are brought to a reef site, set down and toppled to become permanent reefs. I know we set a bunch of them in one of the sites.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Dang, before the oil bust I used to sail out of there. I hate to see there are sailors missing and one confirmed dead, may God rest his soul and the others be found and returned safely to land.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife is from Bayou Lafourche, my first job out of college was about 10 miles north of Port Fourchon.   These jack up rigs always concerned me, I did my best to avoid them when I was with Mobil Oil Offshore....

Talked to my BIL who lives in Cut Off and he said the weather yesterday was like a weak hurricane down there.

I dont want to jump on the band wagon, but that rig had no business going out in open water

Our prayers are with the families....one of the missing is from Slidell, LA, about three miles from me

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
A year or two ago a similar storm came through and fucked up the fishing fleet during mid day.  Same area.   Mostly rec boats

But the videos of the boats hiding behind the oil rigs and trying to outrun a monster cell makes you realize you ain’t shit to Mother Nature, especially on the water
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My job is to move those jackets. A good portion of them are brought to a reef site, set down and toppled to become permanent reefs. I know we set a bunch of them in one of the sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've worked off of lots of lift boats and yes they suck as boats. We used them for their cranes and living quarters when doing construction or well work on smaller unmanned production platforms on the shallow shelf in the GOM.

You got the coordinates?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My wife is from Bayou Lafourche, my first job out of college was about 10 miles north of Port Fourchon.   These jack up rigs always concerned me, I did my best to avoid them when I was with Mobil Oil Offshore....

Talked to my BIL who lives in Cut Off and he said the weather yesterday was like a weak hurricane down there.

I dont want to jump on the band wagon, but that rig had no business going out in open water

Our prayers are with the families....one of the missing is from Slidell, LA, about three miles from me

View Quote

is her accent still tick tick?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep saw those too. We got more water from the last system, the wind was nuts for this one.
View All Quotes

yeah I was at my office down there during the thick of it tuesday and I thought we were gonna lose some shingles and windows it was so bad.

We did lose a holly tree
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#28]
They found six of the people
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They found six of the people
View Quote

That's a miracle
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#30]
fuck.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPmQEQCfLXU

Yeah, that's really bad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#33]
yes
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember that boat, it's a big one.

doesn't even look like they made the hole in the wall, just from that ECDIS screenshot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to work for Seacor and worked on jack up rigs.

Typically, they don't go to the job site if the seas are more than 5 ft. or there are strong winds. Even in relatively calm seas, the boat would still rock quite a bit.

The pads are anchored into the sea bed; but I've had them break loose in rough seas.

Most of the time, if we knew some really bad stuff was coming, we'd call a crew boat over to get us the hell out of there or pick up and get as close to land as possible. These vessels average about 8-10 knots on a good day.

It had to be terrifying to be on board when it flipped. RIP, guys.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm guessing they can add a shit ton of ballast into the hull
View Quote
That is correct.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Prayers to all involved.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You got the coordinates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got the coordinates?
I do actually, let me dig them up, I'll send you a pm. Last I remember we set and toppled around a dozen jackets in a fairly small area, and it was in around 250' of water.  Should be a killer spot for snapper.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I used to work for Seacor and worked on jack up rigs.

Typically, they don't go to the job site if the seas are more than 5 ft. or there are strong winds. Even in relatively calm seas, the boat would still rock quite a bit.

The pads are anchored into the sea bed; but I've had them break loose in rough seas.

Most of the time, if we knew some really bad stuff was coming, we'd call a crew boat over to get us the hell out of there or pick up and get as close to land as possible. These vessels average about 8-10 knots on a good day.

It had to be terrifying to be on board when it flipped. RIP, guys.  

View Quote

I have no idea why they left, we all knew days before this was going to be a bad storm system.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I do actually, let me dig them up, I'll send you a pm. Last I remember we set and toppled around a dozen jackets in a fairly small area, and it was in around 250' of water.  Should be a killer spot for snapper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got the coordinates?

you are the man!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A year or two ago a similar storm came through and fucked up the fishing fleet during mid day.  Same area.   Mostly rec boats

But the videos of the boats hiding behind the oil rigs and trying to outrun a monster cell makes you realize you ain't shit to Mother Nature, especially on the water
View Quote

link to video? that would be educational to see
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Updated OP. Divers are on scene today. Praying they can find some survivors. The weather has just not let up with major storms every day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Updated OP. Divers are on scene today. Praying they can find some survivors. The weather has just not let up with major storms every day.
View Quote

Yeah the weather has been pure crap....I hope they find them also.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

damn damn damn...
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn is right.... Still holding onto hope, but those guys have been in there a long time now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Just texted with an ex Arfcomer that that’s his job, was worried about him, didn’t hear from him for a while.

He was not on that jackup boat but one of his crew members grandad was on it and he didn’t make it.

I apologize for not having more positive news but I’m glad the Arfcomer that I knew personally made it thru it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Good example of why just going in torches blazing isn't always the best idea, but I do hope they get in there today, it's been a long time now and longer is never better. I just have to wonder, according to the article below, at least two more survivors of the Seacor Power were seen on the hull the night of the capsizing, they had radios lowered and went back into the ship due to weather; why have they not re-emerged? Maybe the vessel shifted in the mud and put pressure on the hatches..? It's all just speculation, but still praying they find survivors.

NOLA.COM Update - Survivors Known on Night of 04/13 - Had Radios Delivered

Latest on search for missing Seacor Power crew: Survivors believed to be aboard capsized lift boat

BY RAMON ANTONIO VARGAS and JOHN SIMERMAN | Staff writers Published Apr 15, 2021 at 6:26 pm | Updated Apr 15, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Evening came to Port Fourchon on Thursday with still no word on the fate of a dozen missing crewmembers from a capsized lift boat seven miles offshore, though officials suggested for the first time that human life may still remain aboard the Seacor Power.

U.S. Coast Guard officials said the observations of rescuers who were scrambling to save the crew hours into the aftermath of the disaster Tuesday caused the agency believe at least two members who had survived the capsizing were still on board.

In a dramatic account of the rescue effort's first night, Coast Guard Petty Officer 3rd Class Carlos Galarza said thermal imaging shot from an airplane flying over the Seacor Power revealed five crew members on the hull. Rescuers aboard a Coast Guard vessel then saw those five crewmembers at the accident site, seven miles south of Port Fourchon. A helicopter team dropped them radios as well as life jackets, Galarza said, and two of the five hopped into the water and were saved by rescuers. Coast Guard saw five crew members on hull of Seacor Power Tuesday; 2 went back into vessel

According to reports from others using radios, a third fell into the water and hasn’t been located since, Galarza said. That left two workers on the hull. When weather conditions complicated the rescue effort, the crew members decided to head back into the ship. They were last heard from just before 10 p.m. that night, and were among the 12 who were still missing Thursday as a team of divers contracted by the Coast Guard headed to the wreckage site to search the ship. They tapped on the hull to check for signs of life, according to Galarza. The agency doesn’t know if they detected anything, he said.

Meanwhile, authorities announced that the dead crewmember recovered Wednesday was 63-year-old boat captain David Ledet. Ledet, of Thibodaux, appears to have drowned, according to Lafourche Parish Coroner Dr. John King.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I would like to add, since this is like in my back yard....that's a lot of local charities are looking for help to feed, take care of, house those families who loved ones are still missing.

As of last night...Seacor has not done shit for any of those poor people. That's pathetic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would like to add, since this is like in my back yard....that's a lot of local charities are looking for help to feed, take care of, house those families who loved ones are still missing.

As of last night...Seacor has not done shit for any of those poor people. That's pathetic.
View Quote

Thanks midcap, I work in the Oil & Gas industry (well on the cleanup side), but haven't been down there in a year so. I know the area and always love working with the people there. Damn shame a company as big as Seacor can't rent out some hotel rooms or a camp(s) for the families.

From what I've read, the divers were contracted by the CG, which I thought was unusual, since Government typically wants the RP to step in first. Certainly they have to have salvor on contract, and certainly could have signed one if not.

It's almost as if Seacor was hesitant or the CG thought they would better handle it. I do know divers would have been on scene days ago if not for the weather.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top