BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about all the other megafauna? Our fault too?
View Quote

Probably to some extent, remember reading that they found a bunch of butchered giant sloth bones in the Amazon.   In any case end of ice age would have got em eventually.  

Side note, isn’t it weird we only it like 4-5 different animals nowadays? Camelids, giant sloths, giant moose, it was all probably so delicious.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Paleolithic America was basically the African Savannah with more hair and humans CAME from Africa but the African animal versions survived hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of years with humans and are still here today.

It's just self-hating antihuman gobblygook; the American megafauna all died off about the same time because ecological systems of North America collapsed... probably because of climate change.

Earth likes to change... it's just how this place works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Paleolithic America was basically the African Savannah with more hair and humans CAME from Africa but the African animal versions survived hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of years with humans and are still here today.

It's just self-hating antihuman gobblygook; the American megafauna all died off about the same time because ecological systems of North America collapsed... probably because of climate change.

Some say they were wiped out by the Younger Dryas Impact:

The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis or Clovis comet hypothesis posits that fragments of a large (more than 4 kilometers in diameter), disintegrating asteroid or comet struck North America, South America, Europe, and western Asia about 12,800 to 11,700 years ago.[1][2] Multiple airbursts/impacts produced the Younger Dryas (YD) boundary layer (YDB), depositing peak concentrations of platinum, high-temperature spherules, meltglass, and nanodiamonds, forming an isochronous datum at more than 50 sites across about 50 million km2 of Earth’s surface. Some scientists have proposed that this event triggered extensive biomass burning, a brief impact winter and the Younger Dryas abrupt climate change, contributed to extinctions of late Pleistocene megafauna, and resulted in the end of the Clovis culture.[3]

More:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas_impact_hypothesis

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
That shit must have been tasty, yo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No one said it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Computer models are not data. They are hypothesis translated into code. They don't "prove" anything

No one said it does.

The people who wrote the paper seem to think it does
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bull crap, have you never heard of Randall Carlson
View Quote

It's still the same scenario, there's really only one way to read the data we have.

The climate changed, life got harder, everything was under a lot of stress, a lot of stuff didn't make it but the apex predator did.

If it wasn't for the YDB event we might still have mammoth now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ha ha!  Fuck you, woolly mammoths!  That's what you get for being slow and delicious.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Computer models are not data. They are hypothesis translated into code. They don't "prove" anything

No one said it does.

Read the article again, more carefully this time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Humans can be badass awesome. They can drive cars, go to the moon, or wipe your entire species off the face of the earth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
So, geologically speaking, no difference in the outcome.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#11]
It wasn’t the SUV’s?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, geologically speaking, no difference in the outcome.
View Quote

It's not about geology.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Some scientists have proposed that this event triggered extensive biomass burning, a brief impact winter and the Younger Dryas abrupt climate change, contributed to extinctions of late Pleistocene megafauna, and resulted in the end of the Clovis culture.[3]
Horse hockey!

Those damn Clovis clowns ate themselves to death feeding on mammoth meatballs and saber tooth sandwiches.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#14]
They lived in harmony with the Neanderthal indiginous people of color.
But when the white Cro Magnons, with their larger brain pans, and separate eyebrows started burning tires to heat their caves, the climate warming killed them off.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:19:29 AM EDT
[#15]
white supremacy did in the soulful mammoths then eh..?

figures..
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#16]
People are assholes.  

Woolly mammoths were probably assholes too, but I'll just chalk it up to size and clumsiness.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That’s fascinating.

But, to be fair, In evolutionary terms, wooly mammoths had just as much time to develop opposable thumbs, big brains, guns and nuclear bombs as humans did.  

Sorry!  Don’t feel bad.  
View Quote

[woolymammoth]We have to close the mindshaft opposable thumb gap![/woolymammoth]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Waiting on saber tooth DNA, going to have some bobcats that scream at night and tear apart you tent like a grizzly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Bullshit. Humans would have essentially no impact on pre historic animal populations. Get this group of scientists together and kill ONE modern elephant with spears. Just kill ONE, and I'll believe humans were decimating mammoth populations.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wiping out an entire species with basically sticks and rocks is pretty impressive in a way
View Quote

Homo sapiens was hell on wheels to every terrestrial animal larger than a badger in Europe, Asia, Australia and the Americas.

What's funny is watching the "see, humans are bad for everything" scientists try to coordinate with the "see, if humans would stop using guns, fossil fuels, etc then there would be peace on earth" types.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about all the other megafauna? Our fault too?
View Quote

Probably.  Everybody except hippies and wishful thinkers can connect the dots that the megafauna survived 2 dozen ice ages and then disappeared when humans showed up.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I challenge those scientist to gather all their friends to kill one wild African elephant. They can bring all their friends with modern spears.  I bet they will change their findings after trying
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't believe it. I think they had a conclusion and they designed the model to prove it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#24]
This world would be a better place to live if it weren't for people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Once cloning is perfected will grow vast herds of them and then the hunt can resume

Can you say backstraps.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Need to hurry up and clone this shit so we can taste them for ourselves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:41:09 AM EDT
[#27]
The problem was the wool. They should have gone with the acrylonitrile fiber. But no!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:56:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I imagine the herds were huge I mean really HUGE and these small tribes  ( who's men were lucky to live to middle age ) with nothing more than sticks and clubs really laid waste to the Mammoth.

I am sure they went for the Mammoths all the time especially when there were smaller less dangerous prey out there and an injury often times was fatal.

LOL!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:04:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Marine egg yolks is a cheddar helicopter.
View Quote

Shoo-bee doo-bee doo doo BRICKS
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bullshit. Humans would have essentially no impact on pre historic animal populations. Get this group of scientists together and kill ONE modern elephant with spears. Just kill ONE, and I'll believe humans were decimating mammoth populations.
View Quote

That's pretty much where I am on this issue. Seems like too many of these scientists are of a certain political bent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#32]
According to my highly scientifical models, mans hunting of other species extended the timeline of the  mammoths by 8,000 years.  My models are available for a reasonable research grant.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So basically. . .

We already knew that mammoths mostly went extinct 11,000 years ago or so, except on Wrangle Island where there were no hunters, and they lived until 4,000 years ago.

And these guys do 90,000 computer models and come to the same conclusion: but for humans, mammoths would have lived until 4,000 years ago.
View Quote
The great pyramids were 1000 years old when the last of the Wrangell Island mammoths died out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:20:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No.  It proves if you plug in to the computer models parameters that you previously know to be true from the fossil record, you get the same results.  Idjit!  

You are missing the stunning and brave context.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So basically. . .

We already knew that mammoths mostly went extinct 11,000 years ago or so, except on Wrangle Island where there were no hunters, and they lived until 4,000 years ago.

And these guys do 90,000 computer models and come to the same conclusion: but for humans, mammoths would have lived until 4,000 years ago.

No.  It proves if you plug in to the computer models parameters that you previously know to be true from the fossil record, you get the same results.  Idjit!  

You are missing the stunning and brave context.

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wiping out an entire species with basically sticks and rocks is pretty impressive in a way
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before junk science.

All models are wrong, but some are useful

Especially when they're a food source. Fuck food, amirite?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:31:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
According to my highly scientifical models, mans hunting of other species extended the timeline of the  mammoths by 8,000 years.  My models are available for a reasonable research grant.
View Quote

"How long you been out here?"
"About sixty cases."
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#37]
They are still here, they adapted and went incognito and became elephants.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Yet another Wooly Mammoth Doomer thread.  How many a week do we have here?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Homos fault!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#40]
COVID-2019 BC
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Fuck you wooly mammoths- stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, and so forth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I find it interesting that it was not just the wooly mammoths but:

Cave Bears
Lions
Fire wolves
Ground Sloths
Wooly Rinos

And many other animals.

I think focusing on humans is only a very small part of the picture.

We probably are missing something very important in the rapid decline of these animals.  

North American bio diversity is very small compared to Africa and Asia,  even South America.

It is a fascinating topic.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So basically. . .

View Quote

Grant money must be spent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In before junk science.
View Quote

Pretty sure you got us started with some.

Academic “science” is mired in dogma and grant chasing.  They are more of a cult than true science.

Listen to any Randall Carlson video for an hour and you’ll know exactly what did in the megafauna.  And he’s got the proof without a computer model

Look how he’s been treated and you’ll see my point proven.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Technically, it is Indian-hating gobbledygook.  It wasn’t the white man hunting them in North America in 3000BC....
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Just about all animals over 100 pounds went extinct 10,000 years ago.  Included camels, giant beavers, short faced bears, etc.  33 of 45 species.  Did man kill them all, fuck no.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I would like more of my tax dollars used to fund important research like this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Global climate change 15,000 years ago. Yeah ok.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I just read an article a few weeks ago about how some researchers are a few years away from creating a mammoth/elephant hybrid.

I'm not sure why we'd want to bring them back

Speed
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just read an article a few weeks ago about how some researchers are a few years away from creating a mammoth/elephant hybrid.

I'm not sure why we'd want to bring them back

Speed
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top